mtbr member
    Jul 2014

BMX guy going to mountain bikes, opinions please

Used to race bmx ride street and dirt jump, it's been 14 years since I have really rode hard. Wanna get a bike to ride trails and see where it goes. I'm 5,10 210 lbs and was never easy on the 20" bikes I rode. Just looking for a little insight on a good bike to start with, pretty sure I want a hard tail and want to stay under a grand. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    $1K is somewhat limiting, but look at Specialized Hardrock (Rockhopper if you can find a deal) 29ers, Giant XTC, Cannondale Trail, etc. Have you ridden on the road recently? What do you want to do off-road? Shop by fit, but fit on a conventional road bike or XC mountain bike is a whole different thing from BMX or 26er jump bikes. Shorter me: test ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yeah I know the it is def gonna be different, probably gonna need a medium frame. Ride trails to start off get back into it then there is no telling, I broke my back on a 20" bike and it will never be the same but I hope I can get back into it by trying a larger version of what I used to love.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Buying a good used setup isn't out of the question if you have any previous years bikes that were solid an tested.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Redline Monocog is super cheap used. Buy a $400-$500 fork on sale, and have at it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    There are quite a few 29erHTs that would be considered much more on the "fun" side of riding for someone with a BMX background. But new they will easily cost you well over a grand. Some examples that come to mind: Kona Honzo, Canfield Yelli Screamy, Canfield, Nimble Nine, Diamondback Mason, and others... You may consider keeping an eye out on JensonUSA web site for the Diamondback Mason (the hard tail--there might also be a FS version) as Jenson has blown them out in the past. I don't recall how low but it might have approach $1200? I couldn't tell you what they go for today.

In any event, you'll probably have to go used if you want something really reliable at that price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Found the Mason on Jenson. It's a good price, maybe in September it will be $1200, but by then the only sizes may be small or XXL.

Diamondback Mason Comp Bike 2014 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    For bikes under $1000 they will have low end components and 100mm travel forks. They will have XC geometry, not playful but not boring.
    If you prefer the smaller wheels (from your BMX background) you should look at the Scott Aspect 700 series.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the help, im gonna make a list of all the bikes recommended and check em out and look over their components. Im not into the lingo and parts like I used o be so I have a lot of research and forum stalking to do before I make a purchase. I know you get what you pay for in most cases and may spend over my budget, it not hard to but it will probably be worth it. If any one else has any more suggestions please do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I know there must be several threads in the 29er and All Mountain forums devoted to more fun/aggressive riding hard tails, but this was the first i could find for you.

Many of the bikes in the thread below probably have entire threads devoted just to the specific bike and their builds. There's a ton of information available, maybe too much.

AM-Hardtail Galery

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Do yourself a favor and see if you can throw a leg over some used smaller wheeled bikes. I think it's likely they'll feel more natural to you than most 29ers.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    do you even want a 29er? if you're use to BMX and hit frames hard i would look into a 26" m4 stumpjumper used with a 36h 3 cross rear wheel and a stout fork like a marzocchi bomber or fox 80.

i like 29ers but the wheels are more delicate by a sizeable margin

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I wouldn't say I'm used to anything anymore, its been a while. Last time I got on a bmx bike I felt like a gorilla on a tricycle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    rigid singlespeed... a bmx bike for adults.

bonus being you can get a pretty decent one for a grand. it would be a steep learning curve if the area you riude has lots of hills but once you get used to it it is loads of fun.

i think a 29er rigid singlespeed is a pretty ideal bike for me; but i know other people who have very different opinions on the that subject.

best advice i have is to try a bunch of bikes (demos or rentals possibly so you can really go ride them on trails) and see what makes you smile the most. that is what it is all about after all.

welcome back!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    First, welcome back.

I come from the same background and ultimately transitioned to MTB on and off from '94 until '07. Decided it was time again last year and did not do enough research and ended up with the wrong bike (Niner EMD). Don't get me wrong, I have thoroughly enjoyed every second of every ride but I have found I like to jump pretty aggressively and rail berms - and this isn't the bike for that. It's a good XC bike.

If I could do it over again, I would be looking at the Kona Honzo and the other 29er's that were recommended. 27.5 should also be a consideration for you since you are "new" and there are some all-mountain hardtails to consider as well. Personally, if you are going hardtail, I highly recommend a 29er.

If you are comfortable with used, you can get more for your money and if patient, find a hardly used bike at a good deal. Classifieds here, on PB and of course FleaBay are all options once you have narrowed your choices down. You can create saved searches to keep an eye on things.

Enjoy whatever you decide on!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I rode BMX a lot. The only 29er I've ridden than "kind of" reminded me of that BMX feel was a Haro Mary. For a relatively cheap bike, that thing ripped. Easy bike to carve, wheelie and manual. Can set them up SS or geared.

Not sure you could find one in your price range, but I bet an Ibis Tranny (26) would feel just right, as well.