Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    This ones a stelleon by Todd at Black Sheep.
    Very nice...
    Do you meant that Todd built the frame etc? I was under the impression that James was the welder, maybe even 'the bender'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber999
    Very nice...
    Do you meant that Todd built the frame etc? I was under the impression that James was the welder, maybe even 'the bender'.
    Good question. Todd was the only person I dealt with. He was the designer. I assume James welded it but I never actually asked.
    Last edited by Tricone; 10-16-2010 at 09:58 PM.

mtbr member
    This is the third frame that James has built for me.

Set up with a fat front at the moment, but i might put a Reba on later.

2010_1006fatsheep0007 on Flickr

2010_1006fatsheep0004 on Flickr

Fat Front on The Woodwork on Flickr

Stu Log by sheldonattwood, on Flickr

Woksmuggling Stu by sheldonattwood, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    A flock of sheep (and a burger) at the SSWC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-pa232116.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i was there, i like the integrated handlebar and stem combi on rider 268's bike...i think it's Todd, sorry if i got the name wrong...

Snapper

MM Bars

Hi,
    I see many of you SSing on MM Bars. I like my MM bars but feel l might be too hefty for them - 110kgs. I am currently running them with rebas/maxle up front and realise the benifits would be highlighted more on a rigid bike. They are very forgiving and offer terrific trail dampening but with suspension fork (defeats the purpose somewhat) - am l pushing the bars / my luck? Running SS so need to get out of the saddle to climb and charge through the chunkier stuff. Also can you run them inverted (upside down) - for a lower front end (commuting for instance).
    Love your thought
    JD

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

be careful

I had some older mountain moustach bars that broke, they were circa 2006-ish. Snapped in half! I was told that the wall thickness was undersized. I have some new ones that are much heavier. I like the shape of these bars but because of the riser bend I can't get the brakes inward enough. Jefe

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My name is in the queue. 3 1/2-4 months James told me. All emails and phone calls were promptly answered. I must have taken a few hours of his time before I sent in my deposit. I am psyched!

John

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mine is supposed to be finished in time for me to pick it up around the first of Feb while I'm in Denver for work.

Snapper

SSStu bars?

excuse me singlespeedstu - may l ask what bars you are running on your new sheep. It is stunning by the way.
    JD

mtbr member

New Sheep on the way...

I had the pleasure of meeting James in person this weekend and taking a look at his shop. My new frame was up on the jig and should be welded up soon. I can't wait to get it rolling!

Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-side.jpg
    Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-head-tube.jpg
    Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-seat-tube.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donmeredith74
    I had the pleasure of meeting James in person this weekend and taking a look at his shop. My new frame was up on the jig and should be welded up soon. I can't wait to get it rolling!
    Congratulations!

The fleet behind is pretty amazing...

When did you order the frame? I wonder about turn around time....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd663
    excuse me singlespeedstu - may l ask what bars you are running on your new sheep. It is stunning by the way.
    JD
    It's a Salsa 11degree bar.

mtbr member
    The lead time on my project isn't really a fair comparison since I've been slowly working on the project concept for awhile. I've definitely been the hold up. James has been responsive and great to work with on this project.

Single Speed Junkie
    Congratulations!

The fleet behind is pretty amazing...

When did you order the frame? I wonder about turn around time....

Lead time with James has been very reasonable especially when you factor in the level of customization you can go with a given bike. (Should have one here shortly that is not on any radar screen) Added a pic of the front fork with a few components. Bars are going to be a custom bikepacking version with a hoop type design.

BTW I like the looks of the frame. Post up when done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-2010-11-25-08-13-50.jpg  

Last edited by crux; 11-25-2010 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm ")

some day i'l be able to afford it

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Last time I was at James' shop, his son came into the shop while we were there. My brother asked James' son if he was as into bikes as his dad. James' son said, "no one is as into bikes as my dad."

It was pretty funny. I guess some of us are allowed to never grow up.

mtbr member

Black Sheep klunker FINISHED!

Forgive the photos of the Black Sheep out of her element but I couldn't resist posting photos immediately after turning the last bolt. I have a few parts to swap out yet but the maiden ride was NICE!

Beautiful work...
    Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-black-sheep-done.jpg

Jen Green sheep...
    Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-black-sheep-front.jpg

Internally routed brakes...
    Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-brake-routing.jpg

HACS system...
    Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-hacs.jpg

SIMPLIFY
    Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-simplify.jpg

mtbr member
    Forgive the photos of the Black Sheep out of her element but I couldn't resist posting photos immediately after turning the last bolt. I have a few parts to swap out yet but the maiden ride was NICE!
    Congrats! Really beautiful. Your excitement is contiguous...

If I may; how do you like the bar? What sweep and length is it?
    Last edited by Climber999; 12-07-2010 at 09:18 PM.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Nice!!!
    Hopefully now that you are done he will be onto my strutted Unicrown fork.
    Supposed to be with me by Christmas.
    Is that what your fork is Don??

Occasionally engaged…
    Very, very nice. I like the "simplify" -- I hope it's at least a little bit tongue in cheek. I also appreciate the stealth of no logos on the down or top tube -- James actually let it out of the shop that way? Tempted to remove mine after seeing this...
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

Single Speed Junkie
    Looks great. Mine was suppose to be here Friday, but still looks the same with the fork hanging in the shop. Dang UPS failed to deliver. After speaking with James we are both hoping it shows up somewheres soon. Enjoy the ride as I know James makes great bikes.

Tattooed Scumbag
    just realized that I never posted the complete product. Built this up about a year ago and then had ankle surgery so she has been hanging in the garage for quite a while. She is finally back out on the trail and I am one happy kid

If you don't live for something,
    You will die for NOTHING!!

mtbr member
    Climber999 - Its hard NOT to be excited, right? These are loaner bars from a buddy (mine are on the way). They're 28in & 15 degree sweep. I'm thinking about going with 26in but I'm waffling after riding the 28s. Less clearance in the woods here but oh so nice. Maybe I'm over-thinking what 2in can do. (someone's going to quote me on that)

TR - My fork is more of a faith adapted to match the aesthetic of the frame (more hard angles / less swoopy).

PeT - Yeah, James was really flexible on the graphics on the bike. He gets it...

Crux - The wait is torture, isn't it?!

J-Sims - the curves on that bike are just perfect. It was a tough decision to pass on that general style but I've had my mind set on a klunker style bike for awhile so I stuck with the plan.
    Last edited by donmeredith74; 12-07-2010 at 06:46 AM.

Single Speed Junkie
    Crux - The wait is torture, isn't it?!
    Especially when you have waited once already then to have the ride messed up by the shipper is no good.

On a positive note the 6061 front axle I turned for the faith fork was a little thin and soft for my liking. Think that the next one will be out of 7075 making it a bit more solid. If the frame was here I would have most likely run on a questionable axle. Funny thing is that the 6061 fork inserts for a QR axle are quite a bit more stout than I would have anticipated. Oh well it gives me some added time out in the shop machining the parts.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Some new bling for the Sheep courtesy of my sponsor:

mtbr member
    Beautiful Rigs

mtbr member
    donmeredith74, that is one of the best looking rigs i've ever laid eyes on. be prepared to see a duplicate in ten years when I have student loans paid off!

Scant abuse
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Some new bling for the Sheep courtesy of my sponsor:

Are you sponsored by a tatoo shop?

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Are you sponsored by a tatoo shop?
    Koiled Imports who are the Aussie distributor for Blacksheep (among lots of other high end custom manufacturers).

www.koiled.com.au

mtbr member
    I’ve been in touch with a few people on this thread, promising them to post some images when my bike was complete...well, here it is...Definitely not a mountain bike, but it’s a sheep nonetheless...

The geometry is cyclocross, with both the frame and fork sprinkled with various braze-ons to render it a city commuter or a light-tourer.

** Mounts for three bottle cages
    ** Bosses for racks and fenders
    ** Removable cable gear guides [not mounted in the current SS configuration]
    ** Internal brake cable routing on the top tube
    ** HACS for chain tensioning
    ** Two splitters on the seatstays to allow removing of the rear triangle for shipping in an S&S case; much lighter than couplers, looks better and way less expensive...very nifty...
    ** A kickstand plate with gear cable guide welded on
    ** PF30 BB; very light, very stiff, low Q-Factor
    ** 40c tire clearance

Oh, ya, I succumbed to the temptation and went with a few curved tubes...

Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-sheep-up-1.jpg
    Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-sheep-up-2.jpg
    Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-sheep-up-3.jpg
    Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-sheep-up-4.jpg
    Black Sheep Photo Thread - Bring the flock together.-sheep-up-5.jpg
    Last edited by Climber999; 01-06-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Occasionally engaged…
    Yeah, that works... It's been many "check-out my new custom bike" posts ago that I stopped long enough to really soak in details and truly appreciate the art -- this bike is awesome!
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Sweet!
    I believe that is the first Ti bike I have ever seen with a kickstand.
    I would ride that to and from the bar with impunity.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the kind words, PeT and Enodmaniac...much obliged...

mtbr member
    Very nice Climber999. Glad to see you have it in your hands! How's the ride?

mtbr member
    Very nice Climber999. Glad to see you have it in your hands! How's the ride?
    Hey Don, thanks...and thanks for your help along the way...

The ride is beyond my expectations:

** First and foremost, the fit is perfect. My saddle, WTB Devo, is quite short, yet James compensated for it in the design and flawlessly nailed my posture and reach.

** The 2” down tube (double-butted, by the way), in conjunction with a BB30 create a very stiff BB junction. There is an immediate power transfer; Just begs to get hammered and roll fast. Love it!

** The handling is outstanding; I have never had a bike so surefooted. No matter how low the speed is, it never falls into the twitchy side of the spectrum. The bike turns on the dime; sharp and clear. It is extremely maneuverable. During the big blizzard we got here, I toyed with the bike inside my house, riding through rooms; not once I needed to take my foot off...

** Finally, I was surprised by the low weight; 19.18# on the scale with a kickstand. Without the stand the bike should slim down to 18.5#; maybe even lower. I’m impressed.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by Climber999; 01-06-2011 at 11:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yes a very very nice bike. I like the restrained use of curves - it is extremely elegant.

It annoys me at times how Black Sheep are sometimes seen as a pale imitation of a Jones. They are very different companies. Jones essentially does one or two designs very well and thats what you get (now mass produced in Asia). But if you look at the vast variety of bikes James and Todd do (just look at this thread) - all quite unique, beautifully conceived and specifically tailored to everyones individual needs I cant really see how they compare in approach.
    This bike is a great example of the Black Sheep philosophy - enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricone
    Yes a very very nice bike. I like the restrained use of curves - it is extremely elegant.

It annoys me at times how Black Sheep are sometimes seen as a pale imitation of a Jones. They are very different companies. Jones essentially does one or two designs very well and thats what you get (now mass produced in Asia). But if you look at the vast variety of bikes James and Todd do (just look at this thread) - all quite unique, beautifully conceived and specifically tailored to everyones individual needs I cant really see how they compare in approach.
    This bike is a great example of the Black Sheep philosophy - enjoy!
    Thanks the compliments and for the wishes....

I concur wholeheartedly with your characterization of my bike, and moreover with your comparison analysis of James and Jeff.

I don’t want to come across harsh -- Jeff maybe as talented as James -- but as I said elsewhere, judging from their creations, James is a genius, whereas Jeff is merely gifted.
    A case in point, James invented a wonderful chain tensioning system (HACS, of course). Has Jeff introduced anything as remotely creative?
    Last edited by Climber999; 01-06-2011 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side.jpg 
Views:	2368 
Size:	181.4 KB 
ID:	581002

Name:	Head Tube.jpg 
Views:	2338 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	581000

Name:	Seat Tube.jpg 
Views:	2421 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	581001
    Looks good. I think I'll watch this build. Keep up the progress reports.

I guess I should of scrolled down some more. Nice looking bike you have there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Climber - nice ride. What is it designed for though? I can't tell if it's the nicest bar-crawl bike ever built, a mountain bike with skinny tires, a flat-bar cyclo-crosser, etc...

Also - why the BB7 cable pull brakes? I'm guessing you just like cable pull vs. hydraulic?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs
    Climber - nice ride. What is it designed for though? I can't tell if it's the nicest bar-crawl bike ever built, a mountain bike with skinny tires, a flat-bar cyclo-crosser, etc...

Also - why the BB7 cable pull brakes? I'm guessing you just like cable pull vs. hydraulic?
    Thanks Wiggs...It’s my pleasure to answer your question.

In essence it is a cyclocross with a flat bar. It is my traveling bike, which I take with me overseas (if it’s not obvious, this bike can be taken apart and placed in an S&S case).
    The bike is meant to be ridden primarily in the city, hence the flat bar to keep me relatively tall for a good field of view.
    On my trips I take the bike off-road daily; not super technical terrain, but gravel and dirt roads. Thus, it has clearance for most cyclocross and trekking tires (up to 40c).

I live not far from NYC and ride quite a lot in the city. This bike is perfect for that environment.
    I know many people are subscribed to the Fixie fashion – nothing wrong with it; a great concept and fun to pedal – but I prefer coasting and disk brakes for safety reasons.

If I ever wound up my traveling, I would swap the flat cockpit with a dirt drop bar and run it as a cyclocross/adventure bike.
    That was the reason I requested James to fabricate for me a wiggly bar; it requires shorter stem (90mm), exactly the length I would need for the dirt drop bar route.

Lastly, I preferred mechanical brakes for this set up for two reasons:

1)
    They are simpler and easier to maintain, and I dare say more durable.
    Think a foreign country with little support from bicycle shops, where spare parts cannot be had and knowledge is limited.

2)
    When I deconstruct the frame I prefer to disconnect the brakes from the levers (putting the calipers back on is more work; futzing with drags can be frustrating).
    That I can only do with mechanical brakes.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Climber999; 01-07-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Fact checker

I don’t want to come across harsh -- Jeff maybe as talented as James -- but as I said elsewhere, judging from their creations, James is a genius, whereas Jeff is merely gifted.
    A case in point, James invented a wonderful chain tensioning system (HACS, of course). Has Jeff introduced anything as remotely creative?

http://www.speedgoat.com/News.aspx/Article/287 circa 2005

http://speedgoat.com/blog.asp?o=1662

You sure about that?
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    I am edified...

Notwithstanding, two observations:

1) Jeff has not incorporated that design into his production bikes.
    2) I am not sure the location of the telescopic system is optimal; I think you want good 30mm of straight tube, which is more difficult to attain toward the dropout.

Furthermore, although I am duly chastened on the HACS, it was one gem out of many that James produces while Jeff has nothing of the like:

Stems, including adjustable length one
    Seatposts with two different types of hardware
    A variety of handlebars
    3 types of forks (Yes, Jeff has a trussed one)
    One's frame can be furnished with removable cable guides and internal routing
    Of course, as mentioned about, with James the design options are limitless

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks Wiggs...It’s my pleasure to answer your question.

In essence it is a cyclocross with a flat bar. It is my traveling bike, which I take with me overseas (if it’s not obvious, this bike can be taken apart and placed in an S&S case).
    The bike is meant to be ridden primarily in the city, hence the flat bar to keep me relatively tall for a good field of view.
    On my trips I take the bike off-road daily; not super technical terrain, but gravel and dirt roads. Thus, it has clearance for most cyclocross and trekking tires (up to 40c).

I live not far from NYC and ride quite a lot in the city. This bike is perfect for that environment.
    I know many people are subscribed to the Fixie fashion – nothing wrong with it; a great concept and fun to pedal – but I prefer coasting and disk brakes for safety reasons.

If I ever wound up my traveling, I would swap the flat cockpit with a dirt drop bar (Midge is my favorite).
    That was the reason I requested James to fabricate for me a wiggly bar; it requires shorter stem (90mm), exactly the length I would need if I ever went the midge route.

Lastly, I preferred mechanical brakes for this set up for two reasons:

1)
    They are simpler and easier to maintain, and I dare say more durable.
    Think a foreign country with little support from bicycle shops, where spare parts cannot be had and knowledge is limited.

2)
    When I deconstruct the frame I prefer to disconnect the brakes from the levers (putting the calipers back on is more work; futzing with drags can be frustrating).
    That I can do only with mechanical brakes.

Cheers.
    Oh, well then, that all makes perfect sense. At first I thought it was nuts, but it sounds like a cool setup for what you're doing. (not so sure about the kickstand...)

Now I'm curious where you're traveling with it. I also wonder how many locks you need in NYC to keep it from disappearing.

!Vamos, flaco!
    although I am duly chastened on the HACS, it was one gem out of many that James produces while Jeff has nothing of the like:
    I'm all about BS as James built my dream bike, but I don't see the need to throw Jones under the bus here.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    I'm all about BS as James built my dream bike, but I don't see the need to throw Jones under the bus here.
    Far from it; Jones is very talented. He both designs and builds exceptional bikes.
    I was trying to counter an increasingly heard notion that James is imitating Jones, i.e., copying his ideas, e.t.c.

By the way, your bike is a case in point; who else could have built you dream bike, but James?

mtbr member
    Anyone see or can share steel or aluminum varieties of Black Sheep frames?
    Lead actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 820K views

mtbr member
    Best photos of BSs 2011 NAHBS bikes are where?

Slow But Still Pedaling
    They've posted a few on their Facebook page.

mtbr member
    The latest picture of my sheep.
    I've reverted back to a suss fork in place of a fatfront as i now have a fatbike and another fatfronted bike.

2011_0314boatsanddaffs0023 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

2011_0314boatsanddaffs0026 by singlespeedstu, on Flickr