mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross

My next build is going to be a gravel grinder/SSCX bike. I've looked at several frames (Surly CC, All-City Nature Boy, etc. etc.), and Black Mountain Cycles has it nailed for what I'm looking for. I haven't seen too many reviews on this frame yet, except Guitar Ted's articles. Just posting up to see if anyone's ridden one and what their thoughts were. I was going to place an order, but they're out of the gray frames. Plenty of orange, but don't think I can pull off such a loud color (READ: I am slow and don't want to attract attention).

I'll be sure to post up pictures when it's built up. I've got most of the parts already, except for the wheelset, bars and canti brakes. It will be initially set up with drop bars (probably Midge), Tektro canti's, and fixed/FW with around 40x18/19 gearing.

Mike @ Black Mountain has been awesome with quick replies and informative...info....... CS seems to be excellent so far.

Black Mountain Cycles: Black Mountain Cycles Frames

My set up will probably something similar to this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ask me in a couple months. I just ordered one.

Bring back the Tour de GA
    I'm loving mine. I've had it for a year. Great ride and handling on dirt roads and even a little singletrack. Mike is always there to help if you need it.

10sp side by BluesDawg, on Flickr
    There's only two things in life (but I forget what they are). - John Hiatt

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    BluesDawg - Looks good, even cross chained! can you post your build specs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I bet you would/will be very happy. I've been looking at his road frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Only a couple rides so far but it is nice. It rides more smoothly than I expected, which is great. I was expecting it to feel overbuilt, I guess. It feels fairly lively, but stiff enough at the bb.

The handling is good in gravel, a little quick on singletrack, as you would expect, but not bad.

I am running it with 34c tubeless cross tires because that is what I have right now, I will put fatter tires on in a while, but I am going to have to stick to gravel roads mostly because I have too much toe-overlap to feel ok on singletrack. This is because I am on a 50cm, with 43 shoes and the cleats extra far back, so it's not the bike's fault.

I picked it over a cross-check because I thought it would have better tire clearance, and it does, but in the back only. The fork appears to use the exact same crown as the cross-check so it has the same clearance. I can't fit the 2.1 tires I have in the front, but they fit in the back(on skinny rims). I like that the nano seems to fit the fork in the photo above.

Basically, it looks almost the same as my friend's cross-check, but with nicer finishing touches. I will have to ride his and see if they feel any different. I feel guilty not getting a cross check from my lbs but otherwise I can't think of a bike I'd rather have bought in the same price range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider View Post
    Only a couple rides so far but it is nice. It rides more smoothly than I expected, which is great. I was expecting it to feel overbuilt, I guess. It feels fairly lively, but stiff enough at the bb.

I am running it with 34c tubeless cross tires because that is what I have right now, I will put fatter tires on in a while, but I am going to have to stick to gravel roads mostly because I have too much toe-overlap to feel ok on singletrack. This is because I am on a 50cm, with 43 shoes and the cleats extra far back, so it's not the bike's fault.
    Pics please. Also how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider View Post
    Ask me in a couple months. I just ordered one.
    +1 on that...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just put a deposit down on a green cross frame that's due in a month or two. Pretty excited about it. My Cross Check is getting the boot, though.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Those look quite nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I was searching for a cyclocross or gravel bike to ride on a gravel trail in my community and to do some gravel grinders on. I do alot of road riding and was hoping to get a frame that is light. After researching different frame materials, I realized that I would be willing to give up a few extra grams for the smooth feel and durable ride of steel. I checked out the Surly Crosscheck and the All City frames. Both seem to come in between 26 and 28lbs when built up with stock components. I came across a blog by Guitar Ted about the Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross bike. After endless research, I called Mike Varley, the owner of BMC and designer of BMC frames. He states that with a moderate build, I could be under 22lbs. I ordered one in 59cm and as soon as it arrived, I was in awe of the incredible orange color. After a few hours building it up, I took it for a test ride. Smooth is all I can say. It felt light and responded well when hitting some technical terrain. It climbed well and descended with control. I was impressed. By the way, it came in at under 21lbs. I just built up my black mountain Cycles Monster Cross frame. Specs are as follows: Sram Force Shifters, Shram X9 Rear Derailer, Microshift Centos Front Derailer, Truvativ GXP BB, Sram 1071 11-32 Cassette,Bontrager Race Lite TLR wheelset, Cannondale C1 Seatpost, C2 Stem and Handlebar, Cane Creek 10 Headset, TRP 8.4 Mini V Brakes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross-bmc.jpg  

mtbr member
    The BMC uses 8/5/8 tubing vs. the CC's 9/6/9--I doubt that's worth more than a few ounces of weight difference. It's the components that make the weight difference, not the frame.

I looked seriously at a BMC to replace my CC, but I couldn't justify the difference (and, I like the cable routing and rear spacing better on the CC)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    True, components have alot to do with weight and I did mention in my post that I was comparing my BMC build with a Cross Check with stock components. We are talking more than 5 lbs though. The BMC frame is a bit lighter. That being said, the Cross Check is a great frame, just not what I was looking for. Good Luck!