Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bikesdirect New 2011 Motobecane 29er Full Suspension

36K views 153 replies 75 participants last post by  everything motorcycl 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Just wanted to share what I got in my e-mail today:

I wonder how well the suspension system will work?

Prices for pre-orders are starting at $1400 shipped, and I'm really wishing that I had some cash right now... or that the frame could be bought on its own. ;) C'mon bikeisland!

Bryan D

See less See more
#154 ·
Contact them, they are real fast at getting back with emails!!! Seem like good folks, interesting business model. Most frames are made in Tawain or china with about a handful of mfg plants. I would GUESS motobecane basically spec orders their frames, then put stickers, then put components. Seems like they are about similar quality at about 15-20% less.

bikenerds has some sick closeouts too. Big fan of the closeout stuff!

#18 ·
Yes
framesets on the way with rear shock and Reba with thru axle
price will be $1099 - so if someone has a fork they can ebay the Reba and be into the frame with rear shock at a very low cost

Framesets will go on bikeisland in about 6 weeks or so

BTW - we are super happy with these bikes and I know customers are going to be shocked with quality, ride, and value

#8 ·
I am not a fan of BD, but I have to say this bike looks very nice. Much better than the ones they were showing before with the springs. I agree that the cable routing is a mess, but this is definitely a bike that will sell for them.

And big props for the thru-axle.

#10 ·
bryan_d said:
Hey all,
I wonder how well the suspension system will work?
It's probably safe to say it will work similar to other Faux Bar Link bikes like the Kona Hei-Hei 29 or the Voodoo Canzo 29. There will always be some variance but it should give you the general idea. Hopefully they are only trying to get a max of 4" of travel out of that shock instead of the 5" they claim on the 26" Motobecane full suspension frame.

#14 ·
It blows my mind when I read complaints about looks or specs or...

Seriously folks, it's a $1500 FS 29er! Nothing else competes at that price.

BTW ; I don't own a BD bike and have no financial interest in them. They have provided a bike for the masses that will hopefully bring more people to the fold.

I have no interest in debating the LBS vs mail order vs .....

#25 ·
It blows my mind when I read complaints about looks or specs or...

Seriously folks, it's a $1500 FS 29er! Nothing else competes at that price.

BTW ; I don't own a BD bike and have no financial interest in them. They have provided a bike for the masses that will hopefully bring more people to the fold.

I have no interest in debating the LBS vs mail order vs .....
Thank you
however, some may like to know that soon we will have a $599 single pivot FS29er and a 4-bar link at about $699

I feel it is important to get cyclists who are on a budget started and as you say "bring more people to the fold."

#29 ·
It's not. The cable stops on the Moto on top of the top tube will grab your shorts. I hated that on old turners, and few old hardtails. Kona has been using the same routing on the HeiHei since 2008 and it works fine. In fact it's convenient too b/c if you use a dropper post you can route the remote cable by zipping to the cables under the toptube.

#23 ·
I had a windsor cliff pro two years ago and it was a really good bike for the price and this new bike from Bikes Direct really looks good with a tapered steerer and 15 mm front axle. I think I may buy one in a year from now , I would love to see these offered in a Ti model of course it would cost more.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.