Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bikesdirect New 2011 Motobecane 29er Full Suspension

36K views 153 replies 75 participants last post by  everything motorcycl 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Just wanted to share what I got in my e-mail today:

I wonder how well the suspension system will work?

Prices for pre-orders are starting at $1400 shipped, and I'm really wishing that I had some cash right now... or that the frame could be bought on its own. ;) C'mon bikeisland!

Bryan D

See less See more
#72 ·
Here is an interesting read on bike frame sizing, top tube length etc. Even through they sell road bikes, much of Rivendale's info can be used for MTB sizing.
They don't put a ton of weight into TT length which seems to be the holy grail for many desktop computer sizing geniuses.

http://www.rivbike.com/article/bike_fit/choosing_a_frame_size

#154 ·
Contact them, they are real fast at getting back with emails!!! Seem like good folks, interesting business model. Most frames are made in Tawain or china with about a handful of mfg plants. I would GUESS motobecane basically spec orders their frames, then put stickers, then put components. Seems like they are about similar quality at about 15-20% less.

bikenerds has some sick closeouts too. Big fan of the closeout stuff!

#18 ·
Yes
framesets on the way with rear shock and Reba with thru axle
price will be $1099 - so if someone has a fork they can ebay the Reba and be into the frame with rear shock at a very low cost

Framesets will go on bikeisland in about 6 weeks or so

BTW - we are super happy with these bikes and I know customers are going to be shocked with quality, ride, and value

#8 ·
I am not a fan of BD, but I have to say this bike looks very nice. Much better than the ones they were showing before with the springs. I agree that the cable routing is a mess, but this is definitely a bike that will sell for them.

And big props for the thru-axle.

#10 ·
bryan_d said:
Hey all,
I wonder how well the suspension system will work?
It's probably safe to say it will work similar to other Faux Bar Link bikes like the Kona Hei-Hei 29 or the Voodoo Canzo 29. There will always be some variance but it should give you the general idea. Hopefully they are only trying to get a max of 4" of travel out of that shock instead of the 5" they claim on the 26" Motobecane full suspension frame.

#14 ·
It blows my mind when I read complaints about looks or specs or...

Seriously folks, it's a $1500 FS 29er! Nothing else competes at that price.

BTW ; I don't own a BD bike and have no financial interest in them. They have provided a bike for the masses that will hopefully bring more people to the fold.

I have no interest in debating the LBS vs mail order vs .....

#25 ·
It blows my mind when I read complaints about looks or specs or...

Seriously folks, it's a $1500 FS 29er! Nothing else competes at that price.

BTW ; I don't own a BD bike and have no financial interest in them. They have provided a bike for the masses that will hopefully bring more people to the fold.

I have no interest in debating the LBS vs mail order vs .....
Thank you
however, some may like to know that soon we will have a $599 single pivot FS29er and a 4-bar link at about $699

I feel it is important to get cyclists who are on a budget started and as you say "bring more people to the fold."

#29 ·
It's not. The cable stops on the Moto on top of the top tube will grab your shorts. I hated that on old turners, and few old hardtails. Kona has been using the same routing on the HeiHei since 2008 and it works fine. In fact it's convenient too b/c if you use a dropper post you can route the remote cable by zipping to the cables under the toptube.

#23 ·
I had a windsor cliff pro two years ago and it was a really good bike for the price and this new bike from Bikes Direct really looks good with a tapered steerer and 15 mm front axle. I think I may buy one in a year from now , I would love to see these offered in a Ti model of course it would cost more.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.