Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bikesdirect New 2011 Motobecane 29er Full Suspension

36K views 153 replies 75 participants last post by  everything motorcycl 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Just wanted to share what I got in my e-mail today:

I wonder how well the suspension system will work?

Prices for pre-orders are starting at $1400 shipped, and I'm really wishing that I had some cash right now... or that the frame could be bought on its own. ;) C'mon bikeisland!

Bryan D

See less See more
#114 ·
Does anybody have an opinion about the brands on BikesDirect.com? I want to get a full suspension as a back up to my hartail 29'r and I can't justify dropping alot at an LBS. I've heard bad & good things about bikes direct brands/bikes but not sure if I should save for a name brand or just pull the trigger with BD. Any suggestions?

#120 ·
Bikesdirect 29fs

I am going to post this in the correct spot but wanted throw it out here. I just got my medium frame fs 29er from bikes direct and lost my job. So wife freaked out and i have to sell it. Brand new, had it built but have not ridden it yet. I would like to get the $1399 I paid for it. I am in NY.

#131 ·
Yeah, its prob the "die hard-on 26er's" on their red and white speshy's with matching jerseys ;)

I should know I pass enough of these guys on the trails :lol:

P.S. Sorry if you ride an S, long as your not a hard-on about it :p

#130 ·
I took the bike for one ride. It was on some difficult terrain and the bike performed well. (Insert normal praises). In time I will find things that I dont like as well as things that I really like; that is how it is for every bike I ride. I will post some updates as I get more miles on it.

If you have 2k to spend on a bike, I suggest picking up the X0 or XTR package. You can't beat it bike for the money. :thumbsup:

#132 ·
Yeah. It is a good bike for the price. I rode for few weeks by now and it performed well. I changed my wheelset to stan crest and went tubeless with racing ralph (2.3)on the front and aspen(2.1) on the back and weighs around 27lb now. But chain broke twice already. I had to replace with another KMC 112 L but it turned out it was short!!! I had to take few links out of old chain and add them to new one. I know shimano make 116 L and sram makes 114l and 120l. I guess big frame requires longer chain. I compared with old chain, new KMC 112 l is two links short. Maybe I should have asked Bikesdirect to send me a new chain. It should not have been broken like that. It is a brand new bike.

#143 · (Edited)
I have the 29er Fantom FS and I'm 6' with 32" inseam. I went with a size medium and it fits me very well. The bike felt huge when I first got it but I was coming from a 26" that was a little on the small side for me. Now I sometimes wish I had a large so I could run a shorter stem. Mainly because I like the looks of the short stems. Like I said the medium fits great and is very comfortable to me. I did change the handlebars to the high riser Monkeylite carbon bars (680mm wide) and that made the bike feel more stable and more comfortable.

#147 ·
Interesting. I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. I'm coming from a 17" HT that I like to throw around, but I'm thinking the Medium 29er FS (which looks to measure out at a 18.5" seat tube length) would be the right move for me. Do you think I'd be better off with a Small instead of Medium?

Also, they're offering the $1599 model with XT/SLX or X9. Leaning toward Shimano as that's what I've always used, but would I get more out of the X9?

#151 ·
So I made a bit of a left turn and ended up getting the Santa Cruz Superlight 29 R XC. My brother-in-law has one and I took it for a spin on his street and fell in love immediately. I love the low stand over position, the elevated chain stays, and it looks darn cool. Found a great deal on it so I didn't go too far over budget.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.