Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bikesdirect New 2011 Motobecane 29er Full Suspension

36K views 153 replies 75 participants last post by  everything motorcycl 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Just wanted to share what I got in my e-mail today:

I wonder how well the suspension system will work?

Prices for pre-orders are starting at $1400 shipped, and I'm really wishing that I had some cash right now... or that the frame could be bought on its own. ;) C'mon bikeisland!

Bryan D

See less See more
#36 ·
I received a reply from bikes direct:

- What will the weight of the bikes be for size large? I am interested in both
models.
- What type of terrain is this bike made for XC, All mountain, etc...
- What other bikes geometry closely resembles this 29er? Is there an easy way
to research by utilizing the specs? I recently rode an Epic that I enjoyed much
more than the stumpjumper...
- If I pay for the bike now, can I cancel my order before the bike ships? I
would like to reserve this right since I may happen to find another bike before
July...

Hello,

1) We have not received weight spec at this time.

2) AM/Trail

3) At this time I do not.

4) You could cancel an order anytime before shipping.

All of the info we currently have available is listed on the site, Motobecane expects production samples in 2--3 weeks and will be able to provide more info.

Thanks,
Chris

#39 ·
I received a reply from bikes direct:

- What will the weight of the bikes be for size large? I am interested in both
models.
- What type of terrain is this bike made for XC, All mountain, etc...
- What other bikes geometry closely resembles this 29er? Is there an easy way
to research by utilizing the specs? I recently rode an Epic that I enjoyed much
more than the stumpjumper...
- If I pay for the bike now, can I cancel my order before the bike ships? I
would like to reserve this right since I may happen to find another bike before
July...

Hello,

1) We have not received weight spec at this time.

2) AM/Trail

3) At this time I do not.

4) You could cancel an order anytime before shipping.

All of the info we currently have available is listed on the site, Motobecane expects production samples in 2--3 weeks and will be able to provide more info.

Thanks,
Chris
30 pounds probably.

#48 ·
Hey mike

I am a BD/Motobecane fanboy. I have a rigid Outcast 29 with OnOne carbon, a Fantom Pro 29SL with Pushed Reba, and I want a Moto FS.
Sm, Med, and Lr, BUT NO XL?????? How many Smalls do you think you will sell........seriously.

And to wait a year for a possible XL bike, and a possible frame/fork combo on Bikeisland...whatever.

Anyone know where I can get a KHS Flagstaff or Kona Hei Hei 29er for a good deal, even if just frame??? PM if you do.

Again....fanboy....no XL......disappointed.....nice design and great price.

#49 ·
I am a BD/Motobecane fanboy. I have a rigid Outcast 29 with OnOne carbon, a Fantom Pro 29SL with Pushed Reba, and I want a Moto FS.
Sm, Med, and Lr, BUT NO XL?????? How many Smalls do you think you will sell........seriously.

And to wait a year for a possible XL bike, and a possible frame/fork combo on Bikeisland...whatever.

Anyone know where I can get a KHS Flagstaff or Kona Hei Hei 29er for a good deal, even if just frame??? PM if you do.

Again....fanboy....no XL......disappointed.....nice design and great price.
I agree. Lack of an XL size is a disappointment.

#57 · (Edited)
You got it. I have been in the market for a FS 29er for a year and a half now contemplating the Hifi, Epic 29, Anthem X 29, and a couple others. The price to component ratio on this bike would be hard to beat. If this thing last half as long as my 1998 Cannondale F700 (which is still going strong BTW), I will be ecstatic.

And even if it doesn't... maybe in a couple years I will save up for a ellsworth or 9er bike and just swap over the XO component group.

-Mike

#60 ·
Except that my wife is 5'11... But it may still work. At least it's worth it's price for the parts alone. I could even swap over some DT Swiss wheels I have on another bike and then upgrade to Stans Arch... Hmmm. If the frame doesn't fit I'll buy just a frame. But I think a medium with a longer stem and setback seatpost would work. Still waiting to see the 2012 bikes from Spesh as my local LBS gives me killer prices on those bikes.

#66 ·
Not sure how relevent this is but I am 6'3" (215) and the guys over there at BD seemed confident that the large frame would fit me quite well. After I asked about the no XL bike deal, they replied with the following...

bd4salesteam@aol.com to me
Jun 8
Hello,

Just sized one of my guys who is 6'2" on a medium sample we just got and he would ride the medium for racing. At 6'3" we would recommend a large with confidence, but remember that sizing is a personal preference and the choice is ultimately up to the consumer.

Thanks,
Chris
I am still a bit uncertain not being able to see if beforehand...

#67 ·
Not sure how relevent this is but I am 6'3" (215) and the guys over there at BD seemed confident that the large frame would fit me quite well. After I asked about the no XL bike deal, they replied with the following...

I am still a bit uncertain not being able to see if beforehand...
If a 23.4" TT is long enough for you go for it. Compare it to your current ride and see how it adds up.

#72 ·
Here is an interesting read on bike frame sizing, top tube length etc. Even through they sell road bikes, much of Rivendale's info can be used for MTB sizing.
They don't put a ton of weight into TT length which seems to be the holy grail for many desktop computer sizing geniuses.

http://www.rivbike.com/article/bike_fit/choosing_a_frame_size

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.