how's it riding now?

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Motocrosser86 View Post
    ride reports??
    Yes Yes report please!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yungster View Post
    Why don't you return it? I think you have some time after purchase.. just need to pay for shipping back
    I went to the local shop that built for me and they crushed the box. So i will check with bikesdirect but i would understand if i cant return it. So here it is sitting in garage waiting for new owner.

mtbr member
    I think many have been afraid to post ride reports because even in the Moto thread people blast anyone who says anything good about the bike.... :0

mtbr member
    I took the bike for one ride. It was on some difficult terrain and the bike performed well. (Insert normal praises). In time I will find things that I dont like as well as things that I really like; that is how it is for every bike I ride. I will post some updates as I get more miles on it.

If you have 2k to spend on a bike, I suggest picking up the X0 or XTR package. You can't beat it bike for the money.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    I think many have been afraid to post ride reports because even in the Moto thread people blast anyone who says anything good about the bike.... :0
    Yeah, its prob the "die hard-on 26er's" on their red and white speshy's with matching jerseys

I should know I pass enough of these guys on the trails

P.S. Sorry if you ride an S, long as your not a hard-on about it

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah. It is a good bike for the price. I rode for few weeks by now and it performed well. I changed my wheelset to stan crest and went tubeless with racing ralph (2.3)on the front and aspen(2.1) on the back and weighs around 27lb now. But chain broke twice already. I had to replace with another KMC 112 L but it turned out it was short!!! I had to take few links out of old chain and add them to new one. I know shimano make 116 L and sram makes 114l and 120l. I guess big frame requires longer chain. I compared with old chain, new KMC 112 l is two links short. Maybe I should have asked Bikesdirect to send me a new chain. It should not have been broken like that. It is a brand new bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanfisherman View Post
    Yeah. It is a good bike for the price. I rode for few weeks by now and it performed well. I changed my wheelset to stan crest and went tubeless with racing ralph (2.3)on the front and aspen(2.1) on the back and weighs around 27lb now. But chain broke twice already. I had to replace with another KMC 112 L but it turned out it was short!!! I had to take few links out of old chain and add them to new one. I know shimano make 116 L and sram makes 114l and 120l. I guess big frame requires longer chain. I compared with old chain, new KMC 112 l is two links short. Maybe I should have asked Bikesdirect to send me a new chain. It should not have been broken like that. It is a brand new bike.
    Congrats on your first post and welcome to the forum!

Which 29er do you have (components, size, etc.)? Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It's Motobecane Fantom FS 29er with sram x0.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Those KMC chains are crap IMO, Id just get a Shimano on there If I were you

mtbr member
    If you get a chance to get an exact weight that would be great as I am sure many will be considering a wheel upgrade to what you have.

mtbr member
    If I hadn't just bought a new bike this summer I would have jumped all over this. Does Moto have a trade in program

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect View Post
    Yes
    framesets on the way with rear shock and Reba with thru axle
    price will be $1099 - so if someone has a fork they can ebay the Reba and be into the frame with rear shock at a very low cost

Framesets will go on bikeisland in about 6 weeks or so

BTW - we are super happy with these bikes and I know customers are going to be shocked with quality, ride, and value

I will take a "surplus" Reba off anyone who buys a frame and fork wants to sell just the fork.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    does anyone have any experiance with the suspension design on the Fantom 29 FS. I am considering this for my next bike and don't want to make a big mistake on what I buy

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect View Post
    Thank you
    however, some may like to know that soon we will have a $599 single pivot FS29er and a 4-bar link at about $699

I feel it is important to get cyclists who are on a budget started and as you say "bring more people to the fold."
    When are these coming out? Any date? Are you considering 650B Fs Mountain bikes also?

Jack

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

What size riders

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD442 View Post
    My girlfriend purchased a small size. Packed well, tapered steerer, platform fork with lockout/ blowoff that works and platform rear shock. Good breaks and excellent mix of xt slx finishing kit. For $1400 shiped!? How can you find fault with that ? The frame is beautiful . Only drawbacks, hubs are cheap and bar could be wider .... But for $1400 !? Good job bikes direct way to challenge the big names on value !
    What size riders will the small size fit? I noticed th medium has a pretty high standover..

Jack

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Wife likes it a lot. Very nice spec for the price. Noticed that it is heavy though. Especially in the rear where the rear linkage while beefy is heavy. My guess as I haven't got it on a scale yet is this is definitely a 30lb+ bike. Good thing she has a strong motor. I felt that the top tube is short for my tastes but I do have monkey arms, she how says she feels like it fits her great and gives her more control as she is not as extended out allowing her more use of her core and not just her arms if that makes any sense... I also couldn't stand how narrow the bars are 650mm, but they fit her narrow shoulders great. I like my 720mm Carbon Niner bar

Oh yeah and no heavy bob either!

I will get some more up to date pics as I have already converted it from a 3x10 to a 2x10 with a BBG bash guard.
    Hey, what size is that and how tall is your wife? i'm deciding between the medium and large.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have the 29er Fantom FS and I'm 6' with 32" inseam. I went with a size medium and it fits me very well. The bike felt huge when I first got it but I was coming from a 26" that was a little on the small side for me. Now I sometimes wish I had a large so I could run a shorter stem. Mainly because I like the looks of the short stems. Like I said the medium fits great and is very comfortable to me. I did change the handlebars to the high riser Monkeylite carbon bars (680mm wide) and that made the bike feel more stable and more comfortable.
    Last edited by CLMcLovin; 12-19-2011 at 11:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Heavy...

The wheel set is a crappy WTB as well and I am sure a couple pounds will be lost in the future with a wheel set and tubeless upgrade. Thinking the x9/Arch combo will work nicely for this budget build.
    I went this route the first time and X.9/Arch combo is inexpensive and light but the rear X.9 hub is not a very good design in my opinion. The bearing on the brake side gave out just after a month of owning it. It's just a really small bearing on that side with no other bearings to support it. Luckily, Jenson refunded my money, no hassle. The front X.9 hub is fine though. I would go X.9/Arch on the front and Hope Pro II/Arch on the back. That's what I have for a spare set now. I ended up finding a deal on a set of Industry 9/Arch's that I run most of the time on our local trails with Racing Ralph 2.4 on front and Rocket Ron 2.25 on the back (both tubeless).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Any one know where to get just the frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sldpulr View Post
    Any one know where to get just the frame?
    If they ever get stock, it can be found at bikesdirect.com and bikeisland.com.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CLMcLovin View Post
    I have the 29er Fantom FS and I'm 6' with 32" inseam. I went with a size medium and it fits me very well. The bike felt huge when I first got it but I was coming from a 26" that was a little on the small side for me. Now I sometimes wish I had a large so I could run a shorter stem. Mainly because I like the looks of the short stems. Like I said the medium fits great and is very comfortable to me. I did change the handlebars to the high riser Monkeylite carbon bars (680mm wide) and that made the bike feel more stable and more comfortable.
    Interesting. I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. I'm coming from a 17" HT that I like to throw around, but I'm thinking the Medium 29er FS (which looks to measure out at a 18.5" seat tube length) would be the right move for me. Do you think I'd be better off with a Small instead of Medium?

Also, they're offering the $1599 model with XT/SLX or X9. Leaning toward Shimano as that's what I've always used, but would I get more out of the X9?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    Interesting. I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. I'm coming from a 17" HT that I like to throw around, but I'm thinking the Medium 29er FS (which looks to measure out at a 18.5" seat tube length) would be the right move for me. Do you think I'd be better off with a Small instead of Medium?
    I am 5'11 with a 31" inseam, slightly longer arms, and I have the 47cm Fantom 29er FS XT/SLX. The fit for me is perfect. I had to cut a couple inches off the seatpost, but once the seat was placed, everything fit perfect. The shifting is smooth and I have experienced no problems. The shifters allow you to shift with your thumb or fingers. I push myself on this bike and all it seems to do is want more. The confidence it gives can be dangerous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyP View Post
    I am 5'11 with a 31" inseam, slightly longer arms, and I have the 47cm Fantom 29er FS XT/SLX. The fit for me is perfect. I had to cut a couple inches off the seatpost, but once the seat was placed, everything fit perfect. The shifting is smooth and I have experienced no problems. The shifters allow you to shift with your thumb or fingers. I push myself on this bike and all it seems to do is want more. The confidence it gives can be dangerous.
    Thanks - I heard back from them already (impressive on a Sunday) and they recommend the medium for me.

Now... Is the xtr spec worth the extra $600?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you can afford the XTR, get it. The build on that bike is worth it, you just about get the frame for free for what they are charging.
    Narrow and rugged is the path that leads to life and few find it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast