Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    They just restocked all the FS 29ers. Just a heads up.

I ordered the "base" XT/recon model to see what all the fuss is about. I'll post up my review once I get some rides in on it.

mtbr member

Wife likes it a lot. Very nice spec for the price. Noticed that it is heavy though. Especially in the rear where the rear linkage while beefy is heavy. My guess as I haven't got it on a scale yet is this is definitely a 30lb+ bike. Good thing she has a strong motor. I felt that the top tube is short for my tastes but I do have monkey arms, she how says she feels like it fits her great and gives her more control as she is not as extended out allowing her more use of her core and not just her arms if that makes any sense... I also couldn't stand how narrow the bars are 650mm, but they fit her narrow shoulders great. I like my 720mm Carbon Niner bar

Oh yeah and no heavy bob either!

I will get some more up to date pics as I have already converted it from a 3x10 to a 2x10 with a BBG bash guard.

mtbr member

Here it is with the bash guard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    cool

AZ
    banned
    What is the weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    What is the weight?
    Heavy...

Don't have a bike scale at home next time I'm at the LBS with it I'll throw it on a scale. But it is over 30lbs which is not good considering how light the rest of the spec is, this has to be a heavy frame. The wheel set is a crappy WTB as well and I am sure a couple pounds will be lost in the future with a wheel set and tubeless upgrade. Thinking the x9/Arch combo will work nicely for this budget build. I am also going to swap the front tire for something more aggressive I think I have a Kenda Nevegal 2.2 that would work well, except that it is also heavy.

mtbr member
    I just put together mine. I got the X0 setup and it looks like a great bike. I will weigh it and post up some pictures later on. I kept it how it came pretty much aside from Thomson seatpost/stem and carbon FSA bar. First (real) ride will be Friday.

I did notice that some of the paintjobs looked shiny. Mine is matte black.

mtbr member
    I snapped a couple quick (not good) shots. I also weighed it, 28.4 on the button.

Im not a weight weenie or racer, so if it would have said 35 it wouldnt have mattered. I think 28.4 is respectable though. I saw somewhere that the BikeDirect guy built one and weighed it; I think it was 28 something so my weight seems consistent. I think its a nice bike and I anticipate getting years of service from it.

mtbr member
    Just so I can give the right answer. Is it true there is no lockout on the rear RockShok monarch shock? I only see a three position switch none of which lock it out like a Fox.

mtbr member
    the shock is a rt3 wich has 3 platforms like the fox. no platform,medium platform and max platform

mtbr member
    For the cheap cost, a few extra pounds ain't a bad trade-off. Interestingly, I've added weight to my own bike with almost every component change I've made thus far. Weight be darned. I want comfort, traction, and good performance (drivetrain-wise) above all else. Well a good-looking bike too...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hello,

Have a quick question about sizing on this bike.

I am 5'8" and inseam is about 30 inches. I have tried other 29 niner bikes in Cannondale and specialized and medium size fits well.

Would you recommend a Medium or Small in the Motobecane FS 29?

Would you recommend the SRAM or Shimano setup?

Thanks for your recommendation,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by avn06us View Post
    Hello,

Have a quick question about sizing on this bike.

I am 5'8" and inseam is about 30 inches. I have tried other 29 niner bikes in Cannondale and specialized and medium size fits well.

Would you recommend a Medium or Small in the Motobecane FS 29?

Would you recommend the SRAM or Shimano setup?

Thanks for your recommendation,
    Sizing a bicycle for someone over a forum is tough. This link helped me out when I was in your situation:

Mountain Bike Size Calculator

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Does anybody have an opinion about the brands on BikesDirect.com? I want to get a full suspension as a back up to my hartail 29'r and I can't justify dropping alot at an LBS. I've heard bad & good things about bikes direct brands/bikes but not sure if I should save for a name brand or just pull the trigger with BD. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    They are most likely built by the same factory building the "name brand" frames. The rest is just components.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCBKR22 View Post
    Does anybody have an opinion about the brands on BikesDirect.com? I want to get a full suspension as a back up to my hartail 29'r and I can't justify dropping alot at an LBS. I've heard bad & good things about bikes direct brands/bikes but not sure if I should save for a name brand or just pull the trigger with BD. Any suggestions?

Some people love them, others not so much love. My best advice is to test ride, there is nothing like a test ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCBKR22 View Post
    My opinion is the frame quality is at par with most big name bikes. The components are generally better for the money. While the service and warranty is good when/if needed it doesn't compare to what a lbs and big name manufacturer can offer. What you get really depends on expectations. If you can maintain your bike and understand that bikes and their parts may break when you use them there is good value. If you expect any problems you have to be covered by warranty and taken care of immediately shop at your lbs.

If they offer this bike in an xl I'll more than likely buy one. Only reason I haven't yet is because the tt on the large is smaller than i would like. Nothing against the bike or brand itself.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    KHS got the cable routing right.
    Yes, yes they did. Motobecane looks nice except for the hideous cable routing on top of top tube!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Agreed but still it is a great deal of a bike. I agree about the top tube length I think I would ride a large just because of that. My wife likes her medium though and she is 5'10" we normally ride the same size but I just felt too cramped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Bikesdirect 29fs

I am going to post this in the correct spot but wanted throw it out here. I just got my medium frame fs 29er from bikes direct and lost my job. So wife freaked out and i have to sell it. Brand new, had it built but have not ridden it yet. I would like to get the $1399 I paid for it. I am in NY.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    Yes, yes they did. Motobecane looks nice except for the hideous cable routing on top of top tube!
    Not sure why they do that either... I dont like the top routing.

I cant help but think these look a lot like early Canzo's ...

Intense rider...
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cfgray View Post
    I am going to post this in the correct spot but wanted throw it out here. I just got my medium frame fs 29er from bikes direct and lost my job. So wife freaked out and i have to sell it. Brand new, had it built but have not ridden it yet. I would like to get the $1399 I paid for it. I am in NY.
    Sorry to hear that, good luck with the sale.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cfgray View Post
    Why don't you return it? I think you have some time after purchase.. just need to pay for shipping back

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thats a good idea, I will contact them.
    I also questioned the sizing? I am 6' and inseam 31" , Chris put me on a medium?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ride reports??

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast