Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bikesdirect New 2011 Motobecane 29er Full Suspension

36K views 153 replies 75 participants last post by  everything motorcycl 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Just wanted to share what I got in my e-mail today:

I wonder how well the suspension system will work?

Prices for pre-orders are starting at $1400 shipped, and I'm really wishing that I had some cash right now... or that the frame could be bought on its own. ;) C'mon bikeisland!

Bryan D

See less See more
#79 ·
A 2011 or a 2012?

I am also on the fence between a Camber and the Moto... Its for the wife and until I hear if they uprated the specs on the 2012 Camber I will wait. To me a bike with a 9x drivetrain and no thru axle front fork is really outdated. If they go 2/3x10 with a 20mm front axle on the Camber for 2012 I will go that route if not its the Moto for her...

#80 ·
I'm getting a 2011. I wan't a bike now so it will have to do. Not to mention I'm getting a pretty good deal on it. I hear the 2012's wont be out until after the Interbike expo in mid September, and even then they will only be available on a very limited basis to the biggest of spec. dealers.

The Camber Pro 29 has a 2x10, so no worries about the 9spd :thumbsup: Additionally, for what I am going to do with the bike, a 20mm thruaxel may be overkill.

#81 ·
Didn't notice the Pro ran a 2x10 thanks for the clarifiaction. Still I am basically hoping that the 2012 comes up to the Stumpjumper comp spec level with 20mm, tapered head tube, 2x10, but with only 100mm travel. Because that is what the Moto now offers and to many those should be standard items on ANY full suspension bike.

#89 ·
So brand new to the forum and pretty excited. I just received the fs 29er. I bought the cheaper one (I am sort of new to the mountain bike world) and after a little adjustment here and there the bike was ready to go. It rides really well and looks clean! Definitely going to have a lot of fun on this beast!

#92 ·
I received mine today too, I got the SRAM XO in the large frame. Its spending the night at the LBS waiting in line to get the brakes and gears dialed in better than I can. Should have her tomorrow afternoon. First impression, the bike looks huge but I expected that being a 29er.

#96 ·
Man they are almost sold out of all of these. Where are all the ride reports? I want to know how this thing rides and what it really weighs. Is it plush or is it more of firm setup?

After talking with the LBS today about the 2012 Camber it's off my short list. So it's really down to this and another Stumpy.

#97 ·
My girlfriend purchased a small size. Packed well, tapered steerer, platform fork with lockout/ blowoff that works and platform rear shock. Good breaks and excellent mix of xt slx finishing kit. For $1400 shiped!? How can you find fault with that ? The frame is beautiful . Only drawbacks, hubs are cheap and bar could be wider .... But for $1400 !? Good job bikes direct way to challenge the big names on value !:D

#102 ·

Wife likes it a lot. Very nice spec for the price. Noticed that it is heavy though. Especially in the rear where the rear linkage while beefy is heavy. My guess as I haven't got it on a scale yet is this is definitely a 30lb+ bike. Good thing she has a strong motor. I felt that the top tube is short for my tastes but I do have monkey arms, she how says she feels like it fits her great and gives her more control as she is not as extended out allowing her more use of her core and not just her arms if that makes any sense... I also couldn't stand how narrow the bars are 650mm, but they fit her narrow shoulders great. I like my 720mm Carbon Niner bar ;)

Oh yeah and no heavy bob either! :thumbsup:

I will get some more up to date pics as I have already converted it from a 3x10 to a 2x10 with a BBG bash guard.

#142 ·
Wife likes it a lot. Very nice spec for the price. Noticed that it is heavy though. Especially in the rear where the rear linkage while beefy is heavy. My guess as I haven't got it on a scale yet is this is definitely a 30lb+ bike. Good thing she has a strong motor. I felt that the top tube is short for my tastes but I do have monkey arms, she how says she feels like it fits her great and gives her more control as she is not as extended out allowing her more use of her core and not just her arms if that makes any sense... I also couldn't stand how narrow the bars are 650mm, but they fit her narrow shoulders great. I like my 720mm Carbon Niner bar ;)

Oh yeah and no heavy bob either! :thumbsup:

I will get some more up to date pics as I have already converted it from a 3x10 to a 2x10 with a BBG bash guard.
Hey, what size is that and how tall is your wife? i'm deciding between the medium and large.:)

#106 ·
Heavy... :thumbsup:

Don't have a bike scale at home next time I'm at the LBS with it I'll throw it on a scale. But it is over 30lbs which is not good considering how light the rest of the spec is, this has to be a heavy frame. The wheel set is a crappy WTB as well and I am sure a couple pounds will be lost in the future with a wheel set and tubeless upgrade. Thinking the x9/Arch combo will work nicely for this budget build. I am also going to swap the front tire for something more aggressive I think I have a Kenda Nevegal 2.2 that would work well, except that it is also heavy. :madman:

#107 ·
I just put together mine. I got the X0 setup and it looks like a great bike. I will weigh it and post up some pictures later on. I kept it how it came pretty much aside from Thomson seatpost/stem and carbon FSA bar. First (real) ride will be Friday.

I did notice that some of the paintjobs looked shiny. Mine is matte black.

#108 ·
I snapped a couple quick (not good) shots. I also weighed it, 28.4 on the button.

Im not a weight weenie or racer, so if it would have said 35 it wouldnt have mattered. I think 28.4 is respectable though. I saw somewhere that the BikeDirect guy built one and weighed it; I think it was 28 something so my weight seems consistent. I think its a nice bike and I anticipate getting years of service from it. :thumbsup:

#111 ·
For the cheap cost, a few extra pounds ain't a bad trade-off. Interestingly, I've added weight to my own bike with almost every component change I've made thus far. Weight be darned. I want comfort, traction, and good performance (drivetrain-wise) above all else. Well a good-looking bike too...

#112 ·
Hello,

Have a quick question about sizing on this bike.

I am 5'8" and inseam is about 30 inches. I have tried other 29 niner bikes in Cannondale and specialized and medium size fits well.

Would you recommend a Medium or Small in the Motobecane FS 29?

Would you recommend the SRAM or Shimano setup?

Thanks for your recommendation,

#113 ·
Hello,

Have a quick question about sizing on this bike.

I am 5'8" and inseam is about 30 inches. I have tried other 29 niner bikes in Cannondale and specialized and medium size fits well.

Would you recommend a Medium or Small in the Motobecane FS 29?

Would you recommend the SRAM or Shimano setup?

Thanks for your recommendation,
Sizing a bicycle for someone over a forum is tough. This link helped me out when I was in your situation:

Mountain Bike Size Calculator

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.