Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 154
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation: subspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,002
    They just restocked all the FS 29ers. Just a heads up.

    I ordered the "base" XT/recon model to see what all the fuss is about. I'll post up my review once I get some rides in on it.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation: subspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,002




    Wife likes it a lot. Very nice spec for the price. Noticed that it is heavy though. Especially in the rear where the rear linkage while beefy is heavy. My guess as I haven't got it on a scale yet is this is definitely a 30lb+ bike. Good thing she has a strong motor. I felt that the top tube is short for my tastes but I do have monkey arms, she how says she feels like it fits her great and gives her more control as she is not as extended out allowing her more use of her core and not just her arms if that makes any sense... I also couldn't stand how narrow the bars are 650mm, but they fit her narrow shoulders great. I like my 720mm Carbon Niner bar

    Oh yeah and no heavy bob either!

    I will get some more up to date pics as I have already converted it from a 3x10 to a 2x10 with a BBG bash guard.

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation: subspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,002



    Here it is with the bash guard.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6
    cool

  5. #105
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    What is the weight?

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation: subspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    What is the weight?
    Heavy...

    Don't have a bike scale at home next time I'm at the LBS with it I'll throw it on a scale. But it is over 30lbs which is not good considering how light the rest of the spec is, this has to be a heavy frame. The wheel set is a crappy WTB as well and I am sure a couple pounds will be lost in the future with a wheel set and tubeless upgrade. Thinking the x9/Arch combo will work nicely for this budget build. I am also going to swap the front tire for something more aggressive I think I have a Kenda Nevegal 2.2 that would work well, except that it is also heavy.

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation: psunuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    226
    I just put together mine. I got the X0 setup and it looks like a great bike. I will weigh it and post up some pictures later on. I kept it how it came pretty much aside from Thomson seatpost/stem and carbon FSA bar. First (real) ride will be Friday.

    I did notice that some of the paintjobs looked shiny. Mine is matte black.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation: psunuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    226
    I snapped a couple quick (not good) shots. I also weighed it, 28.4 on the button.

    Im not a weight weenie or racer, so if it would have said 35 it wouldnt have mattered. I think 28.4 is respectable though. I saw somewhere that the BikeDirect guy built one and weighed it; I think it was 28 something so my weight seems consistent. I think its a nice bike and I anticipate getting years of service from it.






  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: subspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,002
    Just so I can give the right answer. Is it true there is no lockout on the rear RockShok monarch shock? I only see a three position switch none of which lock it out like a Fox.

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vizsladog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,320
    the shock is a rt3 wich has 3 platforms like the fox. no platform,medium platform and max platform

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slee_Stack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    504
    For the cheap cost, a few extra pounds ain't a bad trade-off. Interestingly, I've added weight to my own bike with almost every component change I've made thus far. Weight be darned. I want comfort, traction, and good performance (drivetrain-wise) above all else. Well a good-looking bike too...

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4
    Hello,

    Have a quick question about sizing on this bike.

    I am 5'8" and inseam is about 30 inches. I have tried other 29 niner bikes in Cannondale and specialized and medium size fits well.

    Would you recommend a Medium or Small in the Motobecane FS 29?

    Would you recommend the SRAM or Shimano setup?

    Thanks for your recommendation,

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation: psunuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by avn06us View Post
    Hello,

    Have a quick question about sizing on this bike.

    I am 5'8" and inseam is about 30 inches. I have tried other 29 niner bikes in Cannondale and specialized and medium size fits well.

    Would you recommend a Medium or Small in the Motobecane FS 29?

    Would you recommend the SRAM or Shimano setup?

    Thanks for your recommendation,
    Sizing a bicycle for someone over a forum is tough. This link helped me out when I was in your situation:

    Mountain Bike Size Calculator

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    7
    Does anybody have an opinion about the brands on BikesDirect.com? I want to get a full suspension as a back up to my hartail 29'r and I can't justify dropping alot at an LBS. I've heard bad & good things about bikes direct brands/bikes but not sure if I should save for a name brand or just pull the trigger with BD. Any suggestions?

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CYCLEJCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    660
    They are most likely built by the same factory building the "name brand" frames. The rest is just components.

  16. #116
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCBKR22 View Post
    Does anybody have an opinion about the brands on BikesDirect.com? I want to get a full suspension as a back up to my hartail 29'r and I can't justify dropping alot at an LBS. I've heard bad & good things about bikes direct brands/bikes but not sure if I should save for a name brand or just pull the trigger with BD. Any suggestions?


    Some people love them, others not so much love. My best advice is to test ride, there is nothing like a test ride.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCBKR22 View Post
    Does anybody have an opinion about the brands on BikesDirect.com? I want to get a full suspension as a back up to my hartail 29'r and I can't justify dropping alot at an LBS. I've heard bad & good things about bikes direct brands/bikes but not sure if I should save for a name brand or just pull the trigger with BD. Any suggestions?
    My opinion is the frame quality is at par with most big name bikes. The components are generally better for the money. While the service and warranty is good when/if needed it doesn't compare to what a lbs and big name manufacturer can offer. What you get really depends on expectations. If you can maintain your bike and understand that bikes and their parts may break when you use them there is good value. If you expect any problems you have to be covered by warranty and taken care of immediately shop at your lbs.

    If they offer this bike in an xl I'll more than likely buy one. Only reason I haven't yet is because the tt on the large is smaller than i would like. Nothing against the bike or brand itself.

  18. #118
    SSolo, on your left!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,531
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    KHS got the cable routing right.
    Yes, yes they did. Motobecane looks nice except for the hideous cable routing on top of top tube!
    Get off the couch and ride!

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation: subspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,002
    Agreed but still it is a great deal of a bike. I agree about the top tube length I think I would ride a large just because of that. My wife likes her medium though and she is 5'10" we normally ride the same size but I just felt too cramped.

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3

    Bikesdirect 29fs

    I am going to post this in the correct spot but wanted throw it out here. I just got my medium frame fs 29er from bikes direct and lost my job. So wife freaked out and i have to sell it. Brand new, had it built but have not ridden it yet. I would like to get the $1399 I paid for it. I am in NY.

  21. #121
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    Yes, yes they did. Motobecane looks nice except for the hideous cable routing on top of top tube!
    Not sure why they do that either... I dont like the top routing.

    I cant help but think these look a lot like early Canzo's ...

  22. #122
    Intense rider...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by cfgray View Post
    I am going to post this in the correct spot but wanted throw it out here. I just got my medium frame fs 29er from bikes direct and lost my job. So wife freaked out and i have to sell it. Brand new, had it built but have not ridden it yet. I would like to get the $1399 I paid for it. I am in NY.
    Sorry to hear that, good luck with the sale.

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by cfgray View Post
    I am going to post this in the correct spot but wanted throw it out here. I just got my medium frame fs 29er from bikes direct and lost my job. So wife freaked out and i have to sell it. Brand new, had it built but have not ridden it yet. I would like to get the $1399 I paid for it. I am in NY.
    Why don't you return it? I think you have some time after purchase.. just need to pay for shipping back

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    Thats a good idea, I will contact them.
    I also questioned the sizing? I am 6' and inseam 31" , Chris put me on a medium?

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    84
    ride reports??

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    173
    how's it riding now?

  27. #127
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Motocrosser86 View Post
    ride reports??
    Yes Yes report please!

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by yungster View Post
    Why don't you return it? I think you have some time after purchase.. just need to pay for shipping back
    I went to the local shop that built for me and they crushed the box. So i will check with bikesdirect but i would understand if i cant return it. So here it is sitting in garage waiting for new owner.

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation: subspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,002
    I think many have been afraid to post ride reports because even in the Moto thread people blast anyone who says anything good about the bike.... :0

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation: psunuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    226
    I took the bike for one ride. It was on some difficult terrain and the bike performed well. (Insert normal praises). In time I will find things that I dont like as well as things that I really like; that is how it is for every bike I ride. I will post some updates as I get more miles on it.

    If you have 2k to spend on a bike, I suggest picking up the X0 or XTR package. You can't beat it bike for the money.

  31. #131
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    I think many have been afraid to post ride reports because even in the Moto thread people blast anyone who says anything good about the bike.... :0
    Yeah, its prob the "die hard-on 26er's" on their red and white speshy's with matching jerseys

    I should know I pass enough of these guys on the trails

    P.S. Sorry if you ride an S, long as your not a hard-on about it

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2
    Yeah. It is a good bike for the price. I rode for few weeks by now and it performed well. I changed my wheelset to stan crest and went tubeless with racing ralph (2.3)on the front and aspen(2.1) on the back and weighs around 27lb now. But chain broke twice already. I had to replace with another KMC 112 L but it turned out it was short!!! I had to take few links out of old chain and add them to new one. I know shimano make 116 L and sram makes 114l and 120l. I guess big frame requires longer chain. I compared with old chain, new KMC 112 l is two links short. Maybe I should have asked Bikesdirect to send me a new chain. It should not have been broken like that. It is a brand new bike.

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation: psunuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanfisherman View Post
    Yeah. It is a good bike for the price. I rode for few weeks by now and it performed well. I changed my wheelset to stan crest and went tubeless with racing ralph (2.3)on the front and aspen(2.1) on the back and weighs around 27lb now. But chain broke twice already. I had to replace with another KMC 112 L but it turned out it was short!!! I had to take few links out of old chain and add them to new one. I know shimano make 116 L and sram makes 114l and 120l. I guess big frame requires longer chain. I compared with old chain, new KMC 112 l is two links short. Maybe I should have asked Bikesdirect to send me a new chain. It should not have been broken like that. It is a brand new bike.
    Congrats on your first post and welcome to the forum!

    Which 29er do you have (components, size, etc.)? Thanks for the help.

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2
    It's Motobecane Fantom FS 29er with sram x0.

  35. #135
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Reputation: Ace5high's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanfisherman View Post
    Yeah. It is a good bike for the price. I rode for few weeks by now and it performed well. I changed my wheelset to stan crest and went tubeless with racing ralph (2.3)on the front and aspen(2.1) on the back and weighs around 27lb now. But chain broke twice already. I had to replace with another KMC 112 L but it turned out it was short!!! I had to take few links out of old chain and add them to new one. I know shimano make 116 L and sram makes 114l and 120l. I guess big frame requires longer chain. I compared with old chain, new KMC 112 l is two links short. Maybe I should have asked Bikesdirect to send me a new chain. It should not have been broken like that. It is a brand new bike.
    Those KMC chains are crap IMO, Id just get a Shimano on there If I were you

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation: subspd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanfisherman View Post
    Yeah. It is a good bike for the price. I rode for few weeks by now and it performed well. I changed my wheelset to stan crest and went tubeless with racing ralph (2.3)on the front and aspen(2.1) on the back and weighs around 27lb now. But chain broke twice already. I had to replace with another KMC 112 L but it turned out it was short!!! I had to take few links out of old chain and add them to new one. I know shimano make 116 L and sram makes 114l and 120l. I guess big frame requires longer chain. I compared with old chain, new KMC 112 l is two links short. Maybe I should have asked Bikesdirect to send me a new chain. It should not have been broken like that. It is a brand new bike.
    If you get a chance to get an exact weight that would be great as I am sure many will be considering a wheel upgrade to what you have.

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Delirious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    132
    If I hadn't just bought a new bike this summer I would have jumped all over this. Does Moto have a trade in program

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect View Post
    Yes
    framesets on the way with rear shock and Reba with thru axle
    price will be $1099 - so if someone has a fork they can ebay the Reba and be into the frame with rear shock at a very low cost

    Framesets will go on bikeisland in about 6 weeks or so

    BTW - we are super happy with these bikes and I know customers are going to be shocked with quality, ride, and value

    I will take a "surplus" Reba off anyone who buys a frame and fork wants to sell just the fork.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    139
    does anyone have any experiance with the suspension design on the Fantom 29 FS. I am considering this for my next bike and don't want to make a big mistake on what I buy

  40. #140
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect View Post
    Thank you
    however, some may like to know that soon we will have a $599 single pivot FS29er and a 4-bar link at about $699

    I feel it is important to get cyclists who are on a budget started and as you say "bring more people to the fold."
    When are these coming out? Any date? Are you considering 650B Fs Mountain bikes also?

    Jack

  41. #141
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    37

    What size riders

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD442 View Post
    My girlfriend purchased a small size. Packed well, tapered steerer, platform fork with lockout/ blowoff that works and platform rear shock. Good breaks and excellent mix of xt slx finishing kit. For $1400 shiped!? How can you find fault with that ? The frame is beautiful . Only drawbacks, hubs are cheap and bar could be wider .... But for $1400 !? Good job bikes direct way to challenge the big names on value !
    What size riders will the small size fit? I noticed th medium has a pretty high standover..

    Jack

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post

    Wife likes it a lot. Very nice spec for the price. Noticed that it is heavy though. Especially in the rear where the rear linkage while beefy is heavy. My guess as I haven't got it on a scale yet is this is definitely a 30lb+ bike. Good thing she has a strong motor. I felt that the top tube is short for my tastes but I do have monkey arms, she how says she feels like it fits her great and gives her more control as she is not as extended out allowing her more use of her core and not just her arms if that makes any sense... I also couldn't stand how narrow the bars are 650mm, but they fit her narrow shoulders great. I like my 720mm Carbon Niner bar

    Oh yeah and no heavy bob either!

    I will get some more up to date pics as I have already converted it from a 3x10 to a 2x10 with a BBG bash guard.
    Hey, what size is that and how tall is your wife? i'm deciding between the medium and large.

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    95
    I have the 29er Fantom FS and I'm 6' with 32" inseam. I went with a size medium and it fits me very well. The bike felt huge when I first got it but I was coming from a 26" that was a little on the small side for me. Now I sometimes wish I had a large so I could run a shorter stem. Mainly because I like the looks of the short stems. Like I said the medium fits great and is very comfortable to me. I did change the handlebars to the high riser Monkeylite carbon bars (680mm wide) and that made the bike feel more stable and more comfortable.
    Last edited by CLMcLovin; 12-19-2011 at 11:13 AM.

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Heavy...

    The wheel set is a crappy WTB as well and I am sure a couple pounds will be lost in the future with a wheel set and tubeless upgrade. Thinking the x9/Arch combo will work nicely for this budget build.
    I went this route the first time and X.9/Arch combo is inexpensive and light but the rear X.9 hub is not a very good design in my opinion. The bearing on the brake side gave out just after a month of owning it. It's just a really small bearing on that side with no other bearings to support it. Luckily, Jenson refunded my money, no hassle. The front X.9 hub is fine though. I would go X.9/Arch on the front and Hope Pro II/Arch on the back. That's what I have for a spare set now. I ended up finding a deal on a set of Industry 9/Arch's that I run most of the time on our local trails with Racing Ralph 2.4 on front and Rocket Ron 2.25 on the back (both tubeless).

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1
    Any one know where to get just the frame?

  46. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bryan_d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by sldpulr View Post
    Any one know where to get just the frame?
    If they ever get stock, it can be found at bikesdirect.com and bikeisland.com.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

  47. #147
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by CLMcLovin View Post
    I have the 29er Fantom FS and I'm 6' with 32" inseam. I went with a size medium and it fits me very well. The bike felt huge when I first got it but I was coming from a 26" that was a little on the small side for me. Now I sometimes wish I had a large so I could run a shorter stem. Mainly because I like the looks of the short stems. Like I said the medium fits great and is very comfortable to me. I did change the handlebars to the high riser Monkeylite carbon bars (680mm wide) and that made the bike feel more stable and more comfortable.
    Interesting. I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. I'm coming from a 17" HT that I like to throw around, but I'm thinking the Medium 29er FS (which looks to measure out at a 18.5" seat tube length) would be the right move for me. Do you think I'd be better off with a Small instead of Medium?

    Also, they're offering the $1599 model with XT/SLX or X9. Leaning toward Shimano as that's what I've always used, but would I get more out of the X9?

  48. #148
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    Interesting. I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. I'm coming from a 17" HT that I like to throw around, but I'm thinking the Medium 29er FS (which looks to measure out at a 18.5" seat tube length) would be the right move for me. Do you think I'd be better off with a Small instead of Medium?
    I am 5'11 with a 31" inseam, slightly longer arms, and I have the 47cm Fantom 29er FS XT/SLX. The fit for me is perfect. I had to cut a couple inches off the seatpost, but once the seat was placed, everything fit perfect. The shifting is smooth and I have experienced no problems. The shifters allow you to shift with your thumb or fingers. I push myself on this bike and all it seems to do is want more. The confidence it gives can be dangerous.

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyP View Post
    I am 5'11 with a 31" inseam, slightly longer arms, and I have the 47cm Fantom 29er FS XT/SLX. The fit for me is perfect. I had to cut a couple inches off the seatpost, but once the seat was placed, everything fit perfect. The shifting is smooth and I have experienced no problems. The shifters allow you to shift with your thumb or fingers. I push myself on this bike and all it seems to do is want more. The confidence it gives can be dangerous.
    Thanks - I heard back from them already (impressive on a Sunday) and they recommend the medium for me.

    Now... Is the xtr spec worth the extra $600?

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    139
    If you can afford the XTR, get it. The build on that bike is worth it, you just about get the frame for free for what they are charging.
    Narrow and rugged is the path that leads to life and few find it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •