Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Anyone know the top tube length compared to a Phantom HT 29er?
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._geochart.html for the Full Suspension Motos.

And http://motobecane.com/29geometry.html for the Fantom Hardtail 29ers

23.39 compared to 25.1 ETT for me.

mtbr member
    Wow so an 1" +/- LESS? in comp sizes...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Wow so an 1" +/- LESS? in comp sizes...
    Yep, a couple posters commented on short ETT lengths in threads about this bike.

mtbr member
    Mike any word on when the frame/fork will become available on bikeisland.com?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just put in an order for the XO 30spd model in Large... I hope this bike works out well!!

Keep pedaling
    msh213, Congratulations on the new bike. I hope you'll have time to post a detailed review after you get it and ride it.

It looks like a great deal, but I'd rather have more info and ride reviews before I spend that much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    msh213, Congratulations on the new bike. I hope you'll have time to post a detailed review after you get it and ride it.

It looks like a great deal, but I'd rather have more info and ride reviews before I spend that much.

You got it. I have been in the market for a FS 29er for a year and a half now contemplating the Hifi, Epic 29, Anthem X 29, and a couple others. The price to component ratio on this bike would be hard to beat. If this thing last half as long as my 1998 Cannondale F700 (which is still going strong BTW), I will be ecstatic.

And even if it doesn't... maybe in a couple years I will save up for a ellsworth or 9er bike and just swap over the XO component group.

-Mike
    Last edited by msh213; 06-20-2011 at 10:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm thinking of doing the same exact thing. Just waiting to see what the 2012 Spesh Camber specs are before I pull the trigger. If they don't go 10spd and thru axle then the Moto FS will be my wife's new ride.

AZ
    banned
    With the uber short TT this would make a great women's bike.

mtbr member
    Except that my wife is 5'11... But it may still work. At least it's worth it's price for the parts alone. I could even swap over some DT Swiss wheels I have on another bike and then upgrade to Stans Arch... Hmmm. If the frame doesn't fit I'll buy just a frame. But I think a medium with a longer stem and setback seatpost would work. Still waiting to see the 2012 bikes from Spesh as my local LBS gives me killer prices on those bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've been hearing from BD this was coming for three years now only to find out no xl's for another year.

mtbr member
    yep, no XL is a deal-breaker for us man-sized riders
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    With the uber short TT this would make a great women's bike.
    Funny that the top tube lengths on their medium and large models are slightly longer than on the Santa Cruz tallboy medium and large models. I guess the Santa Cruz Tallboys are only women's bikes too!

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    Funny that the top tube lengths on their medium and large models are slightly longer than on the Santa Cruz tallboy medium and large models. I guess the Santa Cruz Tallboys are only women's bikes too!

The Tallboy's also have a low BB so they really bring the suck even worse than these.

AZ
    banned
    They would make a good women's bike, I never said only a women's bike. They do have a low BB also. The Motos do have a short TT, if the TB is even shorter then they would be even better for a woman. So now i don't know if I should be defending the Moto or the TB. And to think I was just trying to find the silver lining in the geo and you start all this Tallboy bashing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Not sure how relevent this is but I am 6'3" (215) and the guys over there at BD seemed confident that the large frame would fit me quite well. After I asked about the no XL bike deal, they replied with the following...

bd4salesteam@aol.com to me
    Jun 8
    Hello,

Just sized one of my guys who is 6'2" on a medium sample we just got and he would ride the medium for racing. At 6'3" we would recommend a large with confidence, but remember that sizing is a personal preference and the choice is ultimately up to the consumer.

Thanks,
    Chris
    I am still a bit uncertain not being able to see if beforehand...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by msh213 View Post
    Not sure how relevent this is but I am 6'3" (215) and the guys over there at BD seemed confident that the large frame would fit me quite well. After I asked about the no XL bike deal, they replied with the following...

I am still a bit uncertain not being able to see if beforehand...

If a 23.4" TT is long enough for you go for it. Compare it to your current ride and see how it adds up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That large frame is huge, good for someone over 6'3" IMO

I'm 6'2" and would probably go for the medium

edit: oops, at first I thought it was 25.4, turns out 615mm = 24.21 in
    Last edited by esXso; 06-21-2011 at 10:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    If a 23.4" TT is long enough for you go for it. Compare it to your current ride and see how it adds up.
    Effective top tube is 24.1 on their large model. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._geochart.html

Their seat tube angle is 74 degrees which is a little steep. Using a set back seatpost might give more length in the cockpit without screwing up your pedal position.

Personally I don't care who buys what bikes from whom. There are lots of good bikes out there. I have several bikes including a BD Ti frame bike with a rockshox fork I bought from them that I built up and also an inexpensive cross bike.

For around $2300 I would also suggest looking at the Giant 29er FS bike. It's components probably aren't as good but for a few hundred more you get a more sophisticated suspension and some dealer hand holding.

Bikes direct is what it is. Mail order with no customer support to speak of. If you are competent with wrenching they offer good values.

I use to be in the bike business and mail order drove me crazy. I decided the biz wasn't for me and got out of it. If I was in the biz today I would focus more on service, and even have bikes direct ship me bikes that I could put together for my customers and charge them accordingly for my time. It would be a good way to pick up some extra labor biz and sell them parts and clothing.

Railing against outfits like Bikes Direct and mail order isn't going to change the way things are. Everyone is getting squeezed. I imagine bike shops look for ways to save money too and that probably includes shopping on-line or at big box stores.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Huge? It is effectively a 20" frame with the TT length of a 19" frame. I see a bunch of guy's riding these singing "follow the yellow brick road".

mtbr member
    Any word yet on being able to get the frame / fork only?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Here is an interesting read on bike frame sizing, top tube length etc. Even through they sell road bikes, much of Rivendale's info can be used for MTB sizing.
    They don't put a ton of weight into TT length which seems to be the holy grail for many desktop computer sizing geniuses.

http://www.rivbike.com/article/bike_...g_a_frame_size

banned
    Here is an interesting read on bike frame sizing, top tube length etc. Even through they sell road bikes, much of Rivendale's info can be used for MTB sizing.
    They don't put a ton of weight into TT length which seems to be the holy grail for many desktop computer sizing geniuses.

http://www.rivbike.com/article/bike_...g_a_frame_size
    What a self rightcheous azz, its easy to post a link to something you obviously have zero working knowledge of. Have a good time on your ivory tower.

Keep pedaling
    Thanks richwolf, but I disagree. I think stand over clearance is a lot more important for mountain bikes. Also the Motobecane has top tube cable routing that might snag or rub my shorts.

Here is an interesting read on bike frame sizing, top tube length etc. Even through they sell road bikes, much of Rivendale's info can be used for MTB sizing. ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    Thanks richwolf, but I disagree. I think stand over clearance is a lot more important for mountain bikes. Also the Motobecane has top tube cable routing that might snag or rub my shorts.
    Standover clearance varies from bike to bike. Sloping downtubes are ok but usually when you standover a bike it is at least at the middle part of a top tube. Also full suspension bikes with higher bottom brackets have less standover than than a rigid or hardtail bike. Large volume tires also decrease standover. I have ridden mountain bikes since 1987 and I rode a softride beam bike for years. Absolutely no standover clearance and I never had issues with it.
    I think the main point of my link had to do with top tube length and not standover.

In response to roadie scum:
    "An old man once said ...There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast