Rogue Exterminator

Bikes Direct Gravity G29 any thoughts

Been thinking about getting a rigid ss 29er for mostly road riding and liked the price $350 of the G29. I plan on pulling off the WTB Prowlers and probably putting some Schwalbe Big Apples on it then just riding.

Main purpose for the bike will be 2 fold.
    Currently I just don't have time to load up and get to the trail after work but I do have time to leave from the house and ride for an hour or two.
    Second, I would eventually like to get a trainer and this would be the bike I use with it.

Additionally, I may use it for occasional solo days on the trails when I want a hell of a SS work out but that is not going to be an all the time thing.

I know there are other SS 29ers out there that are probably considered much better but what about for $400 or less?

mtbr member
    This should be posted in the Manufacturer / Motobecane Forum.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtyling View Post
    This should be posted in the Manufacturer / Motobecane Forum.
    Thank you forum police.....

Hell, you aren't even forum police, you are some fake ass forum rental cop trying to make up your own rules in order to solve your inferiority complex.

Now explain why this belongs in a brand specific forum especially since I am asking for other options too.

Now run along, and let the grown folks answer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nashbar ss falls into your criteria. Nice package for $400. I have one and use it same as you intend and I love it. I have added hydro brakes and chain adjusters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I bought my son, a gravity 29 point one. He is very happy. I'm impressed with quality which compared to Trek Wahoo.

trail rat
    nevermind
    Last edited by slocaus; 12-23-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    If the adults learned to search, they could find a long running thread.
    New Bikesdirect Gravity 29Point1?
    Oh, another forum rental cop.

Don't like the tread, don't open it, don't reply.

You are like a little 5 year old trying to point out a mistake from his parents.
    It is not needed and unappreciated .

Now run along and go play with the other children.

(BTW, I did search and it didn't turn that up.)

.....also I do actually appreciate the link but your deliver was a little pissy.

trail rat
    pffft
    Last edited by slocaus; 12-23-2012 at 08:33 AM.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    You have a chip on your shoulder and my reply was to your post quoted. You got your attitude reflected back at you.

I'm 63 years old dude, been on a mountain bike since 1979, rode with the originators of the sport. You could take lessons in being nice.
    I suppose I could take a lesson in being nice but you telling me that is like the pot calling the kettle black.

trail rat
    gone
    Last edited by slocaus; 12-23-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    LOL This Tread...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I guess the one drawback i see with your plan would not usre how a SS would do on a trainer, I had one with adjustable rsisitance ended up cutting off the resistance cord didnt do much. There are probably better trainers but do you want your $ to be in the bike or to be in a expensive trainer that might cost more than the bike you use on it.

Also A SS Mtn isnt that fun on road IMO my SS mtn bike I am pedaling well over 100rpm and can barely hit 14/15 on the way to the trail.

I just say this because for what your describeing a cheaper or used geared rigid might be better.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    I've never ridden a SS speed bike, but you'd have to get a road tire for the trainer. I put a skinny one on my Fargo earlier and it seemed to do just fine but my Fargo is geared. Almost sounds like you need a geared bike, not a SS.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Maybe a cross bike like this?

Scattante X340 LE Cyclocross Bike - Road Bikes
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Good point on road tire schwalbe big apples might be a little to costly to be wearing out on a trainer. Also I bet if you spent some time on a mtn bike SS on road you would end up dumping money into cogs, chains, and chainrings.

That 350 Bike is probably 500 Bike when you get it setup to how you would want it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am on year two of my BD Dawes Deadeye that is almost the spitin-image of the Gravity. Here are my comments:

Pros:
    1. I like the through bolt hubs. No worries about slippage.
    2. Flip the stem and you will be good to go.
    3. The bike has lasted two years and about 2,000 miles.
    4. the BB and crank is decent.

Cons:
    1. The rims are pretty junky, but I don't mind riding a dented slightly out of true rim.
    2. The bike will come in at about 31.5lb.
    3. Wheels come drilled shrader. Must use apt.
    4. The hubs are lose bearings and will pit in the first 1000miles. I don't care though, I will ride them until they squeal.
    5. The through bolt rims require you to carry a SS wrench.

P

mtbr member

New question here.

That bike will be fine for what you want to do with it. As far as upgrades, ride it until something breaks and worry about it then.

I also second the Nashbar SS 29er. I rode one of those for 2 seasons and its not especially light but it can dish out just about anything you can throw at it. I got a smoking deal on it and upgraded the brakes and wheels with take-offs I got from a local guy. But in the end, I put the originals back on and sold it for nearly as much as I paid for it. I am actually considering buying another one to store at my families vacation place up in Michigan rather than shipping my bike up and back.

I don't want to get into the forum police argument, but I do think there is a bias against Bikes Direct on MTBR. If someone posts a question about Trek or Specialized or Niner or Giant, no one chimes in to tell them to take it the manufacturer forum. Jeez guys, if that's gonna be the case around here, why even have a "29er bikes" forum at all?

There is definitely an unspoken pecking order in this sport when it comes to labels whether anyone wants to admit it or not.
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 12-23-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    Mind your own religion.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    @#$%**?/@#@#%&#$ spam

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Another plus to the Nashbar,it comes with a derailleur hanger and can be upgraded to gears.

mtbr member
    I had one for a while - it was nice. But as what was said above - the wheels are junk and its a pita to have to carry around gear to pull wheel off incase of flat (I mainly used it to commute through town... or go to the bar)