mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Bikes Direct 29r Single Speed???

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a 2nd bike. I'm looking at the bikes direct 29r single speed for $300. I just want a basic bike for Dry Creek in Modesto on my Thursday night rides.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/deadeye.htm

Do any of you have any thoughts about this bike, or others in the same price range?

Thanks,

Mark
    Oakdale,CA

mtbr member
    Howdy Mark, you might check JensonUSA. They have the SE Stout SS for around $280.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Dawes Deadeye

Theres a really long thread about the deadeye and the bullseye in the single speed forum .

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Good info

Thanks guys for the info. What an exhaustive thread on the Dawes Deadeye from BikesDirect. So much valuable information. Very popular bike. I looked at the bike at Jensonusa,. Looks nice too, but they are out of stock for all but the 15" frame size.

I'm thinking, being 5'6" with 30" inseam, I would fit the 15" frame? Although, don't want my toes to hit the tires when turning.

Anyway, seems like a nice entry level bike. And, I learned that you do get what you pay for with this bike. Don't expect too much in terms of quality.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'd say you'd probably get the 15" either way at your size. And since the bikes are almost the same (with the stout being better if anything), i'd go with the stout for $280 if it was me.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by markandsheri
    Don't expect too much in terms of quality.
    Yes if quality is light weight and bling or smoothed welds or glossy paint or trick track ends/dropouts. If quality can also mean decent fit, finish and tolerances, durability and functionality, then the Dawes or the Stout will work nicely as a basic bike for what you say you want one for. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I am with my Dawes Bullseye (Deadeye with BB5 disc brakes, which at $349, I recommend over either the Deadeye or the Stout) as I've beat on it for about 60 offroad miles in the last week and nothing's blown apart yet. Wheels are still true and tensioned and it's still tight. Funny thing is, at 1/10th the cost of my other 29er, it's just about as much fun and a great Winter workout rig.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Dawes Deadeye

The definitive Dead Eye, Dawes, BD SS thread.

Quote Originally Posted by o0obruceleeo0o
    I'd say you'd probably get the 15" either way at your size. And since the bikes are almost the same (with the stout being better if anything), i'd go with the stout for $280 if it was me.
    Yep yep yep. After hearing and seeing the sorry quality of the BD Dead Eye, Dawes stuff...I would not buy that junk.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Of you can find one, get a Raleigh XXiX. Gorgeous entry level SS.
    2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL0 Carbon
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I got this one from bikesdirect last spring. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tcast29_08.htm

Great bike! Have made some changes and now she looks like this. Love riding a fixie 29er!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a 15in SE stout. I'm 5'10'' with a 31'' inseam. It's a good fit. Not too long not too short.

Apr 2007
    Personally, if you're buying online, I'd get the GT Peace 9r at Nashbar for $399 + 10% off. going on right now. If buying local, Redline Monocog gets my vote.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Have in mind though that Nashbar as well as other online stores, always put on a Tax and other fees. I dont think BDirect does that. It is $319 for a Dawes Deadeye and that is it...Not saying to go that route, I am myself still undecided on which one to get, mostly because I have a budget and I keep looking around LBS but just so you know.. I saw a Monocog the other day and it is such a nice bike too bad it was a 17" and it was too big.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I had been browsing the bikes mentioned, and then made the jump on the GT from Nashbar. For that price, you're not going to get anything with comparable components. I've had it for a week now and love it! Comes with name brand parts, rather than cheap un-marked stuff(stem, seatpost, crank, wheelset). While it's not top of the line components, it's a significant step up from what you get on the BikeDirect stuff. And as far as Nashbar "fees", I didn't pay any. I paid a total of $369 shipped, which included the oversized shipping charge of $13. Paid for it Sunday, shipped out Monday, and I received it Thursday!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoRacing
    I didn't pay any. I paid a total of $369 shipped, which included the oversized shipping charge of $13. Paid for it Sunday, shipped out Monday, and I received it Thursday!

TOo bad they dont have a 16". They only have Medium and Large. I am a GT fan.. I tried ordering the $499 one they have and it was around $50 of Tax plus the shipping minus the %10 ..still it was around the 500s...how come you did not pay Tax?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'd guess it has something to do with which state the bike is sold/shipped from. If you live in that state, then you're forced to pay the tax applicable. That's the case with many online retailers with multiple locations(cabelas, rei, etc...)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Confirmed, they have stores in WA thats why I get the tax thing..yet they dont have the bike in store and even if I wanted to order it to the store, the fee carries over. Sucks for me