mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Which Bike Would You Get? GT Sensor vs. Trek Fuel

After many years of riding a hardtail, I'm going to upgrade to full suspension. My budget is approx. $2K. I've more or less narrowed it down to these two bikes.

GT Sensor 9R 1.0 29er @ $1,900 https://www.performancebike.com/bike...49_-1___400470
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er @$2,200 Fuel EX 7 29 - Trek Bicycle

I'm leaning toward the GT since it's $300 less & the componentry seems very similar. I've test rode them both & liked the Trek slightly better but really liked them both. Anyone care to offer an opinion? Is there another bike I should consider? Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Trek, I have the Fuel and it's a fantastic riding trail bike.

Also it's owned by a bike company not a conglomerate, for me that's important also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I rode an EX 8 and liked it quite a bit. I'm also looking for a similar bike but holding out until I can ride some Niners...

mtbr member

Which Bike Would You Get? GT Sensor vs. Trek Fuel

The fuel of course.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I love the frame on the Sensor, and that cockpit is really quite good. For nothing other than the brakes (those things are death traps in my experience, just in a parking lot test ride the rear went soft and the front couldn't even get hand pumped to do anything) the Trek is going to be a slightly better deal.

The other huge difference is the fork - that Fox32 is tremendously better, nothing against the Sektor, but it's a bit more flexible, and in order to be usably plush going down, it's a bit soft going up. I just gave up and ran really high pressure on the fork on my GT just so I didn't get the double sketchiness of those flimsier wheels AND bottoming out the fork.

I had a Sensor ('13), loved it, but the only value level that almost makes sense is the 2.0 (since nothing else is in that range with X5 stuff on it), once the $2000 barrier comes up, too much other stuff shows up that is hands down better. A lot of that comes down to the straight 1.125" head tube (not tapered), which means only goofy forks can fit it; that alone is a significant enough drawback to make it hard to compete in this price range, and ugprading is also right out for that stuff.

The Trek is about $500 more bike in my book - better fork, brakes that you won't have to think about replacing, slightly better tires for non-XC use. I do love the Sensor lineup, but until that's on a much steeper sale, the Trek stomps it on value.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    tehllama, thanks for the post! You're right, the Trek has a much better fork. Somehow, I was thinking they both had the Fox fork. I'm not familiar with the Formula C1 brakes but was told they were good. Starting to lean towards the Trek unless someone else has another option I should check out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Trek ex8 make sure you get trek care plus

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    When I watched all of the Bike Magazine BibleOfBikes videos on YouTube earlier this year, I was somewhat convinced they were just being fanboys of the Shimano brakes. Then my set of Avid 1's crapped the bed completely; the replacements of those never held a bleed for more than 20mins. Then I tried some XT brakes: light bulb came on.

In the process of shopping for my latest bike, I was test riding the 27.5 new Sensors, and those brakes were unbelievably bad. Of the two bikes I rode, one had a nonworking front brake on the showroom floor, and the rear brake on that degraded just in the parking lot ride to where I could pedal along with that brake lever against the handlebars. The second one wasn't much better, and even in compared to the Alivio level Shimano units they were lame. Small sample size, but my personal experience with them wasn't positive, and I haven't heard positive reviews on them that quantitatively outweigh negative reviews, and for something like brakes I don't want something polarizing, I was something reliable.

Running XT brakes was a mistake; I'm now on SLX and refuse to run brakes that are any cheaper - they're so much better I could change my riding style just moving to them; I can use the modulation of the brakes to make extremely quick adjustments to my forward/rearward weight distribution, not to mention the confidence it gives my 230lb self in letting the suspension and wagon wheels do work on the downhills.

Clueless Bastard
    Trek. No question. GT used to be a great brand, full of bike history. Now they are a purchased brand name from bankruptcy cranking out mediocre bikes. Yuk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well, you said you liked the Trek better so get that 'en. The prices are close enough that I wouldn't let 300 bucks be the deciding factor. If it is, just put your money aside a bit longer.
    Livin' the dream.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I had a GT Carbon Marathon Pro. The i Drive is fantastic. But it is not durable. I spent 2 hours, 5 times cleaning and rebuilding it. GT finally warrantied it for a new frame, which I immediately sold. Good riddance. It is hit or miss, and a huge hassle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Scalpel 3 great bike test ride one and hold on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I vote for the Trek. Brakes, wheels and fork are better. The shock on the Trek is a DRCV, which is better than the GT as well. GT gets great reviews for their suspension design but the frame here doesn't have tapered head tube. It's not a world of difference, we all ride bikes with straight 1 1/8" forks still, but this just screams cheap and limiting. If you want to upgrade the fork, you'll be stuck with crap straight steerer tube forks, unless you get a good used fork.

The brakes on the GT are crap, you get Shimano on the Trek--no contest.

The brakes, fork, shock and wheels on the Trek are worth the extra price.

mtbr member
    Trek.

I had a GT I-Drive back when they were an independent company and the suspension never excited me so I sold it and went back to a hardtail for a while. I have some experience with the Trek suspension and like it much better but don't let my arsh make up your arsh's mind.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    you can do better for your money. when i was test riding i liked the stumpjumper fsr but eliminated it due to cost and what i got for my $$ i also liked the trek fuel and trek superfly and bought the superfly. it's a few pounds lighter than the fuel all else equal and more nimble. the perk to the fuel is the extra travel.

i would get a superfly fs8 if i were you. trek dealers also sometimes will match other trek dealers and Trek Superfly FS 8 (Gary Fisher Collection) - Bike Gallery | Your local, family-owned bike store since 1974 ? Six neighborhood locations in and around Portland, Oregon has the FS8 superfly on sale for $2200. that's an SLX bike with a fox fork and rear shock. they may also have some fuels on closeout if you want that extra travel

i don't really care for the new GT bikes. they just seem "cheap" when you look at them and touch them. imo trek offers a better value with quality more on par with specialized but for less money

wave of the future is integrated tapered head tubes. you want this as it will make fork replacement in the future easier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for all of the replies. It's been a long time since I bought a new bike & there's lots to consider. Think I'm going to spend a little more time researching & riding some other bikes but won't be getting the GT now.