mtbr member

Bike Trainers?? For 29ers

Iam looking into getting a cycle trainer and Iam reading that alot of them are for 26". Will they fit a 29er or is there a brand out there that will fit a 29er.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

May 2009
    Anything that will fit a road bike which is everything will fit a 29". Its nothing special. You may want to change the tire to a cheep slick but then again anything that will fit a 700C should work. Run a knobby on it and you will hate the noise, kill a good tire and drive yourself insane. Even with a road tire you will go insane as trainers suck.

If you live where it is cold and snowy invest in snow tires and forget the trainer.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

modified free motion rollers for me.
    with a mtb i'd run slicks... but that stays outside with fat tires or studs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike
    How odd. What's the point of them moving back and forth like they do? Also, looks like you need about 30lbs more pressure in that rear tire.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    my kinetic says that it will fit 29ers, however it doesnt. it does fit roadie tires though. and since i need to run a slick tire on my wheel and since i dont feel like chaning out tires everytime i use it. i just grabbed a 26" wheel with cassette and put a slick tire on it. so now i just change the whole wheel. works great. and very nice trainer to boot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wheel size won't an issue like most will work for road bikes etc. The problem I have had previously is getting enough resistance with MTB gearing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kardy
    How odd. What's the point of them moving back and forth like they do? Also, looks like you need about 30lbs more pressure in that rear tire.
    yup. definitely needed more pressure. bouncy! did the vid as soon as i had em together...
    but less pressure means more resistance...

the rollers move front to back - you can sprint, hammer, get the body into it.
    riding regular rollers feels pretty unnatural - when on the road the bike moves under you - when on regular rollers you need to move over the bike - lest your throw it. with 8" or so of free motion (16" total) - it feels far more natural, and you can sprint, stand, hammer, and ride no handed....

mtbr member
    I bought a cheap mag trainer, it says Trek on it, for use with my 29er. I had a conti race king 2.2 on it and it fit but made a huge amount of noise. I switched over to a cheap 700c X 35 slick type tire and it's much much nicer, still boring though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yup. definitely needed more pressure. bouncy! did the vid as soon as i had em together...
    but less pressure means more resistance...

the rollers move front to back - you can sprint, hammer, get the body into it.
    riding regular rollers feels pretty unnatural - when on the road the bike moves under you - when on regular rollers you need to move over the bike - lest your throw it. with 8" or so of free motion (16" total) - it feels far more natural, and you can sprint, stand, hammer, and ride no handed....
    Interesting. And here I was fat, dumb and happy on my regular rollers. I'll have to check these out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kardy
    Interesting. And here I was fat, dumb and happy on my regular rollers. I'll have to check these out!
    I checked them out... then I saw the price. Pass. Rollers are way too much of a toy to spend that kind of money. I'll just keep on riding everywhere all year long. Rollers are for dicking around in the basement while drinking beer with your riding buddies after your ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I checked them out... then I saw the price. Pass. Rollers are way too much of a toy to spend that kind of money. I'll just keep on riding everywhere all year long. Rollers are for dicking around in the basement while drinking beer with your riding buddies after your ride.
    yeah.
    i made those myself. $100 in parts and some time + my kreitlers....

and rollers are useful, when it is 10deg or less outside, ice storming, and cold and dark for months on end...

mtbr member
    The trainer I was looking into was at Price Point. If I remember it was by Sette for like $70 bucks. I would love to ride all year but I spend alot of my time away from home in the summer so the winter is time with the family. So I was thinking of the trainer so I can some what keep my riding legs. Here is a link.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/166...ve-Trainer.htm
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Ya I agree, $750 is about... $600 too much for a set of rollers. I do get stuck on mine for about a month a year with no other options (at least not that I'm willing to put up with) for riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

jrm
    mtbr member

Ive used my 29er

Quote Originally Posted by GF 29er
    Iam looking into getting a cycle trainer and Iam reading that alot of them are for 26". Will they fit a 29er or is there a brand out there that will fit a 29er.
    on rollers. It works really well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have the cycleops jet fluid pro. Works great for all my bikes including a 29er!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Cycleops Fliud 2 and a 29'r Bonti xdx dry 2.1 would not fit I am going to install some Crossmark 2.1's and I will try it again...

Leg Shaver
    As stated above Trainers suck. typically you get one, try it for a week then say f it

I am a roadie primarily and have spent time on all of them. so I feel obligated to share my thoughts. they are my thoughts and what work for me I do not pretend to preach here, just share

You have 2 issues. overcoming boredom and keeping fitness.

However if you are going to get one go in with the mindset you might take with a diet or a gym membership. bite the bullet and do it for the fitness and discipline yourself.

In addition go with the rollers. Rollers tend to keep me focused on technique. Rollers will at least help you with your pedal stroke and you can learn to become more balanced and efficient in the saddle. At a high cadence this might help a lot with the long slow climbs come spring. efficiency and fitness are a good combo.

Rollers help with the boredom. Rollers are not wheel size specific last i checked

A good approach to take is having a goal of keeping fitness and base and perhaps burning fat. I can't spend more than 40 min on rollers do to keep my sanity I just look for 3 days a week at 40 min at a certain steady heart rate and I am out

Run slicks and go with Rollers over the fixed type. Prepare to go down a couple of times early on

If you are really into it you can teach yourself to ride off the rollers to stop if you have a little room. I know some guys who can ride on and off rollers and I do not pretend to even want to try to both.

iTunes is your friend

If you have a steel frame wrap the top tube and headset with a towel to keep the sweat off.

good thread I didn't ever think to run a 29 on the rollers but it might be fun to mix it up

Last, the high end rollers are worth the extra money. Belts are tighter and the roller is a larger diameter. you have some sort of metal vs plastic and bearings are quality. IMHO

thanks for the idea and good luck
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

Leg Shaver

with a mtb i'd run slicks... but that stays outside with fat tires or studs.

that is one heck of a mod

wow. interesting
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike Turner
    that is one heck of a mod

wow. interesting

thanks.
    some hard roller skate wheels, bungies, al. angle and some bolts.
    roller drums are kreitlers.
    have to stiffen it a bit - but i finished them up last spring and haven't ridden them much - been outside. and i do studs / fat tires on my fixed gear through the winter...

this winter will see some roller time though... can't get around it. need to up my base for next year.

here's another vid of a riding bud going no handed.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2PAAD
    I have a Cycleops Fliud 2 and a 29'r Bonti xdx dry 2.1 would not fit I am going to install some Crossmark 2.1's and I will try it again...
    My Crossmark 2.1 will not fit on my Traveltrac fluid trainer..