Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

The bike that started it all just got even better...

The bike that started it all just got even better...-img_20131018_122010.jpg

The new and improved Lenz Lunchbox.

Short chainstays? Check. 16.75 inches measured the honest way, from the center of the rear axle to the center of the BB.

Travel? Check. 150mm.

Stealth Dropper post routing? Check.

Clean-ass cable routing? Check. Rear derailleur cable runs down the downtube, inside the rear chainstay and pops out right at the derailleur. Nice.

Piggyback shocks? Check. Pick your favorite, it fits.

150mm rear hub spacing? Check. Props to Banshee for doing this as well. It matters much more than the 15mm vs 20mm fork argument.

Stiff as shizzzzzzz? Check. With the rear wheel removed, you can't budge the rear triangle. I've never had a bike that even comes close to this one in this regard.

More pics to come. I've been too busy grinning and riding to take pics.

Props to Devin Lenz on making a masterpiece, literally. He made it, with his hands, in his shop, in Colorado and it's a functional work of art.

Forgot to add, BB height is 13.5 inches with the 150mm Pike. This improvement was huge for me as I always felt the previous model's BB height was a tad tall for east coast carving. Now it slays corners. I don't have the chunk and chunder like out west, so the additional height was a hinderance to getting that "in the bike" feel. Problem solved.
    Last edited by Colin+M; 10-20-2013 at 08:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yea more toys

mtbr member
    Heard this was on the horizon. Nice!
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    When and how much? DEEEEETTTTAAAAILLLLLSSSS!!

MTB B'dos
    Damn Dude, you got it already? Full ride report.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Pick a wheel size...
    Brown santa is bringing mine this week....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Excellent. You'll love it, guaranteed. What finish did you go with?

Pick a wheel size...
    Rawthic.

There's no doubt in my mind on the amount of affection I'll have towards this new frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Excellent choice. I love the rawthic, obviously. Very industrial.

Elitest thrill junkie
    One more "real" choice as far as I'm concerned. Awesome.

*although I think the Karate Monkey had a lot more to do with 29er acceptance *
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I agree with the Monkey in terms of 29ers in general. Devin was ahead of his time in terms of short chainstay/long travel full suspension 29ers.

Bikes!
    Aah it all becomes clear!

Nice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yep

Bikes!
    So how does it ride compared to the Yeti? It's great to see another company (that doesn't have a big stupid S on its head tube!) bring out a long travel 2-9er with short stays. I'm intrigued...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    nice bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    So how does it ride compared to the Yeti? It's great to see another company (that doesn't have a big stupid S on its head tube!) bring out a long travel 2-9er with short stays. I'm intrigued...
    That's one of the reasons I was so stoked, I didn't have to buy a Specialized to get sub 17 inch CS and long travel.

It's hard to compare to the SB95c since I've never ridden a bike that handles like the Lenz does, both up and down the trail. Steep climbs have traction galore. It's like riding a unicycle with a front wheel and I mean that in the best way possible.

As far as actual measurements go, the chainstay is a full inch shorter on the Lenz compared to the Yeti and you can't help but notice.

Bikes!
    Very interesting indeed. I'll be watching out for more reports as you spend more time with it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Love it Colin. Is the 16.75" chainstay standard on the LB these days or was that a custom option like the lower BB?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think it is going to become the norm. Devin has re-vamped things, so mine isn't a custom it's just one of the first ones. Although if I were to go custom, this would be it. I can't think of anything this one doesn't have that I would want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

LunchBox seconded

**Full Disclosure: I've been a Lenz dealer for a few years, but Lenz's have been my mountain bike of choice since the first prototype Leviathans. Sorry if some would think this sounds like spam -- I'm just writing my experience on this bike the last few days. Feel free to stop reading now**

The bike that started it all just got even better...-1-img_3624.jpg

Sorry about the mediocre pictures -- I had to get out early so the light was less than ideal.

The bike that started it all just got even better...-2-img_3626.jpg

Have to agree with Colin +M. Just got done with my second ride with the new 'Box. I was fortunate that mikesee was kind enough to loan me his for the weekend while he was off playing in Canyonlands on his Fatmoth. My new LunchBox should be here in the next week or so -- I'm having mine painted which takes a bit longer than the Rawthic.

Love that everything is so clean on the routing - no cables in the way on the top tube, no growth of the dropper hose when you get the seat low.

The short chainstays are immediately noticeable. I'm not a wheelie guy -- never had that gene -- but with this bike it's intuitive to get the front wheel up. I was late in manualing a few times in ledge-y sections of the trail and was pleasantly surprised that I was still able to save it and land clean because it takes much less input to do so.

The suspension feels perfect....no twist or wiggle in the rear end even when you land off kilter (which I am prone to do at times ;-)) which has been a hallmark of all the Lenz's I've owned, and the travel just feels....well, choose your favorite suspension adjective....smooth, bottomless, buttery, linear....

Best yet, the bike actually pedals. It is a 6" bike, but I found it to go uphill without having to go through any on-the-saddle gymnastics to keep the front wheel down or under control. I pedaled...I steered. Done.

The Pike fork is brilliant...I may also go for the 160mm upgrade on mine....but it feels better than any fork I've ever ridden.

Can't wait for mine to get here....
    www.bicyclestudiogj.com
    Custom 29er builds and bike fit news
    Building bikes that I'd want to ride...since 2007

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That's a beaut. Already has me rethinking my carbon addiction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It's the best bike I've owned regardless of frame material. It is a bonus knowing that if/when I lay it down it will only add character to the bike instead of make me nauseated.

That being said, I still have my my Niner Rip9 RDO for my XC bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    It's the best bike I've owned regardless of frame material. It is a bonus knowing that if/when I lay it down it will only add character to the bike instead of make me nauseated.

That being said, I still have my my Niner Rip9 RDO for my XC bike
    Interested to hear your thoughts on the Monarch Plus. Thinking about putting one on my TB LTc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Do it already. It is a great match with the Pike. Much needed midstroke support compared to the Fox.

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast