Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1298
    mtbr member

The bike that started it all just got even better...

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    The 5 inch rockers. I rounded for the sake of simplicity so actually 127mm. As long as you have the 50mm shock, you can run the 5 or 6 inch rockers.

The guys at CC were even nice enough to give me advice on the changes they'd recommend going from the 5 inch rocker to the 6 to save me time when I finally get to go to the bike park this year.
    I don't know what I was thinking. I knew that.

Did it seem the CC guys were privy to the Lunchbox specifically?
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    I don't know what I was thinking. I knew that.

Did it seem the CC guys were privy to the Lunchbox specifically?
    I just told them the leverage ratios for each rocker. I explained I was currently working on the setting for the 5 inch rocker and asked if based on their experience, could they recommend the changes needed when switching to the 6 inch rocker so I didn't waste a couple trips trying to reset it all.
    They replied back
    "Going to the other rocker for park riding you will probably want to add about a full turn of HSC. Your HSR might need about a quarter to half turn as well. Low speed settings can probably stay the same."

Thought it was nice of them to give a educated starting point.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL View Post
    Attachment 912396
    Just built up a large Behemoth and just had to show it off. Probably the nicest bike I've ever built for myself. Can't wait to go ride it.
    That is a beautiful bike! Love the green and gold.

-Nolan

mtbr member

Every bit the park bike:

'14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Well gentlemen, two rides over the weekend definitely solidified my decision to keep the LB. What a bike! Probably the easiest way to sum it up is that I set 14 PRs on these rides that I do quite regularly. I had pretty much plateaued on my RIP9 and would only be able to knock a second or two off my times. These PRs on the LB were 20-30% faster than my previous best. They were all on downhills or flats, which speaks to the following:

The cornering and balance of this bike on flat terrain is amazing. I've described it as the tires having teeth.
    The way it picks up and holds speed stably and holds its line on downhills is like nothing I've ever ridden.
    The plushness of the ride is a breath of fresh air.

There's one section I ride regularly that is a gradual downhill with a rock jump and a small rise shortly after the jump. Yesterday I had so much speed clearing the jump that when I hit the rise, I flew in the air for a distance of about 10 feet. That's the first time that's ever happened. I had to get on the brakes right after the rise to avoid flying off the trail in the next corner. But I maintained the speed and PR'd that section, even slowing down for hikers at the end of the section.

My climbing times are not far off my best on the RIP. I think there's going to be a bit of a learning curve on the climbs. What I've figured out so far is that I need to concentrate on keeping my weight more forward on the steep climbs than on the RIP. I believe this will come with time, as I get more comfortable on the LB.

Now for the not so good, which probably isn't the fault of the bike:

I'm not getting full travel out of the rear suspension...probably 70% max, and I have taken some pretty big hits. I believe I need to let more air out of the shock, but I'm a little concerned about whether or not that will make the bike wallow in the travel more. I currently have the sag at over 35% but not getting full travel. That's not a dilemma I was expecting.

I bent the left seat rail on my WTB Pure V saddle today. No, I did not wreck. It happened on a very rough 2.5 mile descent. I think it's simply a case of WTB saddles not being able to stand up to my weight. That's very unfortunate because over these 3 rides I had decided that the Pure V is the most comfortable saddle I've ever had. Early on when I first had my RIP9 I bent seat rails on a couple WTB Speed V saddles. Again, starting to think that WTB saddles won't work for me. Not sure what I'm going to do about that.

Lastly, as for the fit of the bike, I'm very pleased with the size Large.

Feel free to fire away with questions and suggestions.

mtbr member

Glad you're happy with your setup! Not sure what to do about your lack of full travel. I'd back out the HSC if I had the ability. I wouldn't run more sag, as you said. Are you measuring sag while seated? That would get you an artificially high reading...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    I thought you were supposed to measure sag while seated.

mtbr member

You're supposed to measure sag in "attack" position. There's a little bit of room for variation from person to person and bike to bike, but it's definitely not with any contact with the saddle.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: The bike that started it all just got even better...

You're supposed to measure sag in "attack" position. There's a little bit of room for variation from person to person and bike to bike, but it's definitely not with any contact with the saddle.
    First I have heard this opinion. For years I have watched techs from the suspension makers and bike companies set sag with the rider seated in their neutral riding position.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I thought you were supposed to measure sag while seated.
    Same thing I thought

mtbr member
    You're supposed to measure sag in "attack" position.

How-To: Mountain Bike Suspension Set Up with Art's Cyclery - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

+1 - that's how I have always done it and how I've always seen it done when getting a professional suspension setup.

That's the position I want my suspension optimized for so it makes sense to me.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

If you want your suspension to work best while seated, then set sag seated. I want mine set up for the position I'm in going downhill, which isn't seated.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Ok, I can see that, but it would be hard to do by yourself, and it would lead to less air pressure than you would run the other way (moving weight forward decreases rear sag). So it might be optimized for downhill but be too squishy and too much sag for pedaling uphill? Probably not a whole lot of difference, but sag is something you have to play with anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    subscribed
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Ok, I can see that, but it would be hard to do by yourself, and it would lead to less air pressure than you would run the other way (moving weight forward decreases rear sag). So it might be optimized for downhill but be too squishy and too much sag for pedaling uphill? Probably not a whole lot of difference, but sag is something you have to play with anyway.
    Yeah, kinda hard to do by yourself, but if you found a post next to a step, it's not that bad. Lean a little against the post, step off the bike onto the step as to not compress the shock...

There are always going to be compromises with regard to riding high in the travel, good pedaling platform, and getting full travel on big hits. Without a partnership between Lenz and a suspension company, getting a highly adjustable shock is pretty important, IMO. I'd highly recommend the DBa or even DB Inline for this reason, though there are certainly those perfectly happy with other shocks.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    First I have heard this opinion. For years I have watched techs from the suspension makers and bike companies set sag with the rider seated in their neutral riding position.
    Bikerumor is running a cool set of articles on this topic. Here's the one that deals with setting sag: Suspension Setup Series #1 ? Set Your Sag Properly

From the article:

To figure out how you should set it up, Fitzsimmons breaks it out like so:

Downhill bike: Set sag in a standing attack position.
    Trail/Enduro bike: Set Sag in a seated position for every day riding and standing if you are bike park riding
    Cross Country bike: Set sag in the seated position

I definitely err on the side of gravity, seeing as how my bike is set up to excel in that arena. Evidently I missed the memo on "XC/everyday trail" riding. I didn't buy this bike to be a rocket uphill, and what's most important to me is control whilst doing stupid things downhill, so I went with attack position and feel like it's right for me. If ABQ is worried about his rear shock not getting full travel, he might check here first.

Unrelated: Holy crap these brakes are amazing.

The bike that started it all just got even better...-screen-shot-2014-08-03-7.36.12-pm.jpg

The bike that started it all just got even better...-screen-shot-2014-08-03-7.35.55-pm.jpg
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Congrats Kragu! Also, I agree that Hope brakes are the shizz!!!
    Thanks! I don't really read Vital...didn't know this was a thing! I saw jimithing's on there and thought it'd be a good place to document the bike. Kind of cool.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Congrats Kragu! Also, I agree that Hope brakes are the shizz!!!

Pick a wheel size...
    I too am a big fan of Hopes brakes. Thinking of upgrading my "old" M4s.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm having a really hard time wanting to upgrade to the new E4's or even V4's with the Goodrich hoses.

mtbr member
    Anyone need a set of Tech 3 V4's? Rear line might be a bit too short for a 'Box or 'Moth.

mtbr member

My stock length hoses were perfect for my medium. Might fit a large, but probably not bigger than that.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Another amazing ride yesterday! 19 miles and 4 more PR's...this time 2 of them climbing. Would have had more but stopped to session some jumps.

This bike is ridiculously good. I'm taking lines I wouldn't have even looked at on my prior bike. Going much bigger and feeling very comfortable doing so. Also getting the hang of the climbing technique that makes the LB so capable. Quite frankly I've been a little surprised at how quickly I'm on top of obstacles, which I chalk up to the short chain stays. If I keep my composure and keep the cranks turning the chance of cleaning the obstacle is increasing greatly.

The only negative is that I dropped the pressure in the rear shock in order to get much more travel out of the rear. This has lowered the sag beyond what I'm willing to accept, so I think the next step is to put a volume reducer or two in the Monarch Plus. I'll be working with my LBS to make that happen this week.

For those of you who have been on the fence about this bike, if technical terrain is your preferred riding venue, I'm confident you'll be thrilled with the LB.

Best,
    ABQ Clydesdale

oh crap...
    Thought I'd chime in after a summer of riding. I've been able to take the bike to Keystone for 15K of descending, do some XCish 35 mile days in Crested Butte, and do most of my regular rides in Boulder County up in the Brainard Lake/Peaceful Valley area on some really chunky trails and I'm supremely happy with the bike. I was thinking it was a bit too much of a bike sometimes but decided to just put it out of my mind. I rode Devin's new Behemoth around his yard today and it is faster and lighter by 2 pounds but I'm just going to ride harder and do more pushups and ride the bigger bike for most everything. It eats up the big drops and is stable enough for me to not get as scared as I might on some of the features I've run into over the last couple months. Devin also helped me lower the Thomson dropper another 5/8ths of an inch so that the seat is at the perfect height when all the way up now. It's a great bike and I'm really happy with it.

Cheers,

farmer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The bike that started it all just got even better...-lunchbox_in_cb.jpg  

Last edited by farmerfrederico; 08-11-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: forgot picture
    Grow some food for yourself.

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast