Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1343
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    What axle are you going to run?
    The 15mm. It's pretty simple to install and take out.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Well I screwed up, I still had my 160mm rotors on the Lenz from TBc. Didn't catch the the fork came with 180 mounts, which makes sense for the travel. I had planned on getting a 203 eventually, just now I'm forced to order it today. Also waiting for Fox to send me the instruction to set the lower travel setting to 130 vs. the stock 120.

After the preliminary rides reports being good, I chose this, so when I switch between the 5 and 6 inch rockers, it will be a simple lever twist on the fork vs. an airshaft change with the Pike.
    Are you sure it's meant to be run full-time in the 'lowered' position?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Are you sure it's meant to be run full-time in the 'lowered' position?
    Mike I remembered your advice and called fox directly to verify that it is.

But since that was a phone call, you've spurred me to get that in an email as some CYA.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Getting to know you period is proceeding briskly--it is the heart of riding season after all.

I envisioned and assembled this bike as my 'light' or 'xc' or 'alpine' bike, and it is the best incarnation of a 'go fast, go long' bike that I've ever owned.

Spent the weekend high in the Colorado alpine riding a mix of singletrack, doubletrack, game trails, and rough ATV trails. Overall package seems to be dialed to the point where several times a day I'd debate whether I should remove a 2.5mm spacer from beneath the stem, or not.

Currently leaving it alone. Can't think of anything else to mess with--pretty much ideal setup as is.

Selling a shorty dropper post that *might* work for one of you here that found the Reverb (etc) too long for your new 'box.

Follow the purple 'on sale' link at the bottom of this post to the listing. Cheap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    FYI Mike, I confirmed the Talas can be run in the lower position full time.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

All of last week Jeny and I alternately debated weekend plans and checked weather websites.  The normal summer pattern of afternoon thunderstorms has settled in, which is ideal if you're among the parched flora that blanket this state.  Not so good if you're a sentient bike rider looking to ride up high without getting electrocuted.

As we neared the weekend very few options remained in play, and we began considering staying low and paddling in what little moving water remains.

Then a hail-mary email came in from Jeff and Tim, inviting us to join them on an overnighter near Salida.

Even though the forecast there looked every bit as bad as elsewhere, somehow the fact that it was someone else's trip, with plans already firm, made it seem like a better idea than not. Jeny loaded up her ShortBox and I my ShortMoth and over to Salida we went.

The storms started early on the first day, catching us out a long ways from shelter the first time.  We all got soaked through despite good rain gear, prompting an impromptu stop under the eaves of the next trailhead loo we came to.

And while we did get some good weather for riding over our two days out, wave after wave of storms washed over us, necessitating a lot of stopping and waiting at low points when they presented themselves.

All that rain made for hero dirt, a condition no one seemed to mind.

We camped strategically on day one so that we could top our high point early on day two--theoretically before the storms began and closed the door on that option.

Mere moments after the group topped out on Tomichi Pass the thrumbles began to our west, and would hound us increasingly through the day.

Much of the second day's route was in thick enough trees that shelter of a sort was always at arms reach.  Still, we ended up having to shortcut our route substantially because of all the downtime spent waiting for charged clouds to roll on by.

We used that downtime wisely--by sharing scoobysnacks, catching up on each others lives, and, of course, talking smack.

In the end the weekend turned out nowhere near any plan any of us had envisioned.

Despite that, we had a great time and would go again at the drop of a hat.

To Tim, Roz, Heather, and Jeff--thanks for having us.

And thanks to you for checkin' in.

mtbr member
    How do you do it? Every time you draw me in and leave me wowed. Thanks for sharing your trip so well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Other than figuring out what I want to do about a dropper- don't like infinite adjust, I think it's finally done and where I wanted it.

Just got the 203 rotor so I haven't trail ridden it, but the Fox 36 is smooth out of the box.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member

The bike that started it all just got even better...

Lookin great, TT.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

Pick a wheel size...
    I'm finally to the point where I feel I have my setup *dialed*.

mobile phone pic is all I have of the current setup, sorry ;-)

Pike is at ~52psi, all tokens installed, always run at full open, with 1 click of rebound damping.
    Monarch is at ~170psi, run full open 75%/mid comp 25%, with 1 click of rebound damping.

Swapped a few headset spacers to lower the bar height 5mm.

Tried out the 28t MRP Bling Ring and reached spin-out too frequently so the Wolftooth 30t is back on.

Only thing I'd change from here is to replace the Salsa Gordo rims with Flow EXs or Derbys.

For now, this particular ShortBox is rippin'!

mtbr member

Also feelin' good about where my bike is right now. Aside from swapping out rims when my dented Trails stop holding air, I don't see much else happening with my build.

Running my Pike with less sag has really improved the feel, though I'm not using all of my travel except if I case a jump. It feels really good, so I'm leaving it alone. Rear end tracks well and has a nice mix of compliance and pedaling firmness.

Latest addition is an Enve DH bar. My alu Raceface Atlas felt a little harsh, so I dropped a bit of coin on what seems to be the best carbon bar out there, though I've yet to really put it through something that would make me take notice.

'14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Kragu, how are you liking the Lunchbox compared to your previous RIP9's? Care to offer some comparison and contrast thoughts? Thanks!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ABQ Clydesdale View Post
    Kragu, how are you liking the Lunchbox compared to your previous RIP9's? Care to offer some comparison and contrast thoughts? Thanks!
    First and most importantly, the Lunchbox looks twice as amazing, so there's that.

The RIP is a good bike. Really good. It pedals well and handled 90% of the DH terrain I threw at it. It's a very practical bike for where I live, and I liked it a lot.

I sold it for a Lunchbox to gain the 10% that the RIP couldn't handle. With the 'Box, what I've given up is speed on the climbs (10% on the other end of the spectrum). Plainly, I don't really care if I'm slower going up if it means I have a bike that does what the Lunchbox does going down. That's not to say that it's a bad bike uphill - not at all. I went on a 31 mile, 5,000ft ride today, and it felt great all day. It handles tech better than the RIP, which was easily bucked off line at slow speed. The RIP excels upwards here because most of the climbing I do is fire road or smooth like fire road. There's also a possibility some of the climbing difference is due to fitness - I was riding a LOT right before I sold my RIP, and took about 6 weeks off before I got the Lenz. As it is, I get closer to my climbing PRs (set on the RIP) every time out.

Descending, the Lunchbox is a dream. It has a way of disappearing under me, as I float to where I need to go. I was always atop the RIP, always conscious of what the bike was doing. Maybe I've just gotten better, but it coincides with the arrival of the Lenz. It's obviously better downhill for tangible reasons, with more travel, slacker HA, and way shorter rear end, but it all adds up to a oneness with the bike, as an extension of me.

In short, it's as you'd expect: the RIP pedals better, the Lunchbox descends better. For a touchier-feelier summation, the 'Box feels like an old leather glove, oiled to perfection. The RIP never felt quite this right, though I owned it for 10x the miles.
    Last edited by kragu; 07-27-2014 at 01:07 AM.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks! I appreciate your in depth reply. One other clarification: do you notice the difference on the climbing? In other words, can you feel the difference, or do you only see it when you look at your times post-ride?

I'm still deciding what I'm going to do. My LBS has been awesome in dealing with me and a number of frustrations with Lenz. They're giving me the option of going through with the purchase of the LB or buying something else. They're actually going to let me test ride the LB before making my final decision. The build is supposed to be finished this week.

Having some other input is helpful. Thanks again!

mtbr member

Just to get another Behemoth photo out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Looking good, MC. Can you post some closer pics of the finish? Is it normal powder coat brown, or translucent? Looks great either way.

I am also interested in hearing about the Stage fork - particularly in comparison to the recent versions of the Loop. Is there much difference in ride feel or pretty much the same as a Loop?
    NO comparison whatsoever between Loop and Stage. Like comparing SID and Pike.

I've been on this Stage for 4+ months now. The bikes I ride Stage and Pike on are far from identical, such that I can't say with certainty that I like one or the other more or less. I will say that Stage decouples the external adjustments in a way that no one else (that I'm aware of) does, such that I can fine tune Stage much tighter than any other fork I've owned to date. Specifically, I can bottom out my Pike, hard, metal-on-metal, several times per ride, even running all 4 tokens and with air pressure a titch higher than I'd prefer. Just the cost of doing business with Pike. If I run the pressure any higher then the small bump sensitivity is gone.

With Stage, I can run low pressure to get the small bump/top end where I want it, but can easily dial in the ramp control to keep it from wallowing or bottoming. Not possible with Pike. Advantage Stage.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I appreciate your in depth reply. One other clarification: do you notice the difference on the climbing? In other words, can you feel the difference, or do you only see it when you look at your times post-ride?

I'm still deciding what I'm going to do. My LBS has been awesome in dealing with me and a number of frustrations with Lenz. They're giving me the option of going through with the purchase of the LB or buying something else. They're actually going to let me test ride the LB before making my final decision. The build is supposed to be finished this week.

Having some other input is helpful. Thanks again!
    Part of the Lunchbox "holding its line" better up steeper tech is feeling like it's got its claws in the dirt. In that sense, it can feel like it takes a bit more muscle, but the RIP would either slip or get knocked off line easier. As a result, you're focused on regaining your balance just to stay on. With the Lenz, balance is less of an issues, so you push harder, problem solved.

There are advantages to the firmer feel the RIP has, particularly when you're trying to keep up speed as you enter a technical climb. You can bounce over the first few rocks a bit better, but once gravity takes effect and you no longer have momentum on your side, the Lenz has the advantage. If you're climbing some techy stuff in the neighborhood of 6 mph or so, the Lenz feels much like the RIP, with more grip should you encounter a stack of marbles or something.

The former is pretty much all I can come up with, where the Lenz actually feels "slower" than the RIP. Strava says I'm (again) about 10% slower at worst, but as I said in my previous post, I'm sure a certain amount of that is fitness - the gap is shrinking. Mind you, I'm running 2.4 Chunky Monkeys and a 160 Pike. Not exactly set up for XC type times.

I'd really love to give the Behemoth a whirl. Seems a more direct comparison with the RIP. Duncan's (beautiful!) setup looks an awful lot how I would build mine out. I will say that the Lunchbox pedals a sh!t ton better than the new WFO and descends just as well.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Carbon & Ti rule
    Are you running the same tires & tire pressures as you were on the Rip9 ??

I have the 14 Rip9 & I can't say I have felt it Slip or get knocked off line, Well not with good tires & low pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Part of the Lunchbox "holding its line" better up steeper tech is feeling like it's got its claws in the dirt. In that sense, it can feel like it takes a bit more muscle, but the RIP would either slip or get knocked off line easier. As a result, you're focused on regaining your balance just to stay on. With the Lenz, balance is less of an issues, so you push harder, problem solved.

There are advantages to the firmer feel the RIP has, particularly when you're trying to keep up speed as you enter a technical climb. You can bounce over the first few rocks a bit better, but once gravity takes effect and you no longer have momentum on your side, the Lenz has the advantage. If you're climbing some techy stuff in the neighborhood of 6 mph or so, the Lenz feels much like the RIP, with more grip should you encounter a stack of marbles or something.

The former is pretty much all I can come up with, where the Lenz actually feels "slower" than the RIP. Strava says I'm (again) about 10% slower at worst, but as I said in my previous post, I'm sure a certain amount of that is fitness - the gap is shrinking. Mind you, I'm running 2.4 Chunky Monkeys and a 160 Pike. Not exactly set up for XC type times.

I'd really love to give the Behemoth a whirl. Seems a more direct comparison with the RIP. Duncan's (beautiful!) setup looks an awful lot how I would build mine out. I will say that the Lunchbox pedals a sh!t ton better than the new WFO and descends just as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Are you running the same tires & tire pressures as you were on the Rip9 ??

I have the 14 Rip9 & I can't say I have felt it Slip or get knocked off line, Well not with good tires & low pressures.
    Yep and yep. I run Chunky Monkeys in the low 20's - rubber isn't the issue. IMO, two things are different which influence this: the chain stay length and the shock. On the RIP, the shock was either too firm (trail mode) or plush (open). With the DBaCS, the dampening is perfect for techy climbing, specifically if you're more likely to lay down some power rather than choose the cleanest line. I'll bet a DB Inline would do wonders for the RIP, especially paired with CVA. Cane Creek really has something with these shocks.

The 1.2" of chain stay that the RIP gives away to the 'Box makes a big difference too. Someone here described it as a mountain unicycle with a front wheel. On something steep, I can lean forward to keep the front down yet still have enough weight on the rear to keep traction. The RIP would often spin out in this scenario being a little further back (and too firm in the shock).

Overall the RIP definitely has the advantage on the climbs, but not specifically in these instances. They're different bikes for different styles of riding, with different foci. If I could own two bikes, I'd own this Lunchbox and a RIP RDO with a DB Inline.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    I'd really love to give the Behemoth a whirl. Seems a more direct comparison with the RIP. Duncan's (beautiful!) setup looks an awful lot how I would build mine out.
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a question for lunchbox and behemoth riders, I've been riding a 2011 RIP 9 for almost 4 years (coming from a Giant Trance 26). Really have enjoyed it. I ride a large and one of the first improvements was getting a frame that fit, likely for the first time. I'm 6'2" but with disproportional long legs relative to my height. Having the seat post as high as I need it, because of seat post angle, puts my center of g toward the back axle on any bike relative to other riders whose femur length better matches their torso and arm length. (equivalent of shorter CS length for me?). So, I don't have problems with rear loosing traction on climbs, and have enjoyed having the longer wheel base of a 29. I like the idea of slacker HA though, and having a short CS sounds like it makes for a fun, livlier ride. And, looks like the wheel base, and ETT would remain same as what I have now -- If went with an XL moth or LB. I'm just not sure how I will feel with the shorter CS. Has anyone experienced anything like too short?
    If you're really honest about it, they're all "cheater lines".

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Again, very helpful information. Thanks!

"My" LB is going to be set up with a Monarch Plus and Hans Dampf tires, so I'm sure there will be some differences as compared to your ride. That's also really good feedback on the WFO, as it was on my short list.

I should be able to provide my impressions by the end of next weekend, if anyone is interested in hearing them.

Thanks,
    ABQ Clyde

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    I have a question for lunchbox and behemoth riders, I've been riding a 2011 RIP 9 for almost 4 years (coming from a Giant Trance 26). Really have enjoyed it. I ride a large and one of the first improvements was getting a frame that fit, likely for the first time. I'm 6'2" but with disproportional long legs relative to my height. Having the seat post as high as I need it, because of seat post angle, puts my center of g toward the back axle on any bike relative to other riders whose femur length better matches their torso and arm length. (equivalent of shorter CS length for me?). So, I don't have problems with rear loosing traction on climbs, and have enjoyed having the longer wheel base of a 29. I like the idea of slacker HA though, and having a short CS sounds like it makes for a fun, livlier ride. And, looks like the wheel base, and ETT would remain same as what I have now -- If went with an XL moth or LB. I'm just not sure how I will feel with the shorter CS. Has anyone experienced anything like too short?
    I have a similar anatomy 6' 1" long legs and a stumpy torso. I rode my boss' Devinci Atlas (size large) and had sizing issues mainly because of the seat tube angle and long top tube. I had to have the seatpost up so high that I was pretty much sitting over the the rear hub. I pretty much just did wheelies up the hills. The 'Moth has a much steeper seat tube angle and climbs great.

mtbr member
    Again, very helpful information. Thanks!

"My" LB is going to be set up with a Monarch Plus and Hans Dampf tires, so I'm sure there will be some differences as compared to your ride. That's also really good feedback on the WFO, as it was on my short list.

I should be able to provide my impressions by the end of next weekend, if anyone is interested in hearing them.

Thanks,
    ABQ Clyde
    No problem! Definitely interested to see what you think, coming from the same bike I did. How long were you on your RIP, and which model? I rode my 2011 RIP for about 8 months before it was stolen. It was recovered while building up my 2014 RIP, which I rode for a year before selling the frame.

Plenty of folks love the M+ on the LB, and I love the initial quality of the Hans Dampfs. My home terrain eats Schwalbe rubber like no other, otherwise I'd probably run those on my LB.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast