Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I do have a certain reputation, but so far so good Still loving the Czar I assume?
    Yes, couldn't be happier with the Czar, and I have not damaged it in nearly 7 months, which bodes really well for everybody else that ends up with one.

The shorter chainstays of the Czar resulted in the trusty Sultan seeming a bit wanting in the liveliness department, so I sold it to a young, cash-strapped team mate, and grabbed a Remedy 29er. Lots of fun, but really hoping for a 140 mm carbon Sultan V.3 in the sort of near future.

Sorry for the mild derail. Nothing to see here. Move along. :-)
    Whining is not a strategy.

AOK
    mtbr member

The bike that started it all just got even better...

I do have a certain reputation, but so far so good
    Almost a month of ownership now - that may be a record.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Almost a month of ownership now - that may be a record.
    And with no desire to change. That is a record.

This place needs an enema
    Some pics, words, and vid of a recent 3-day binge on this bike HERE.

Powered by ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    That said, I've not yet had a heel or ankle or shoe strike on the current setup, thus I'm 99% sure peeps are blowing this a wee bit out of proportion.

The bike that started it all just got even better...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1384473470.520073.jpg

From a total of about 5-10 minutes on your bike. I for one would be interested in seeing the new chain stay design before signing up for a frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    If you ride flats vs. clipless that could make a big difference to heel CS interference. I move around a fair bit on my flats and they are quite a bit bigger than any clippless MTB shoe I've used.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Powered by ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    If you ride flats vs. clipless that could make a big difference to heel CS interference. I move around a fair bit on my flats and they are quite a bit bigger than any clippless MTB shoe I've used.
    Sure. I don't know how common this issue is, but it is real to me for sure.

If you tend to polish your cranks with your shoes, I would be wary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    If you tend to polish your cranks with your shoes, I would be wary.
    Mine are definitely polished.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Pick a wheel size...

Wow, that's crazy Enel.

mtbr member
    My medial malleoli aren't as sexy as Eric's, but they are unscathed. Looks painful however and whatever you do don't ride a SB95, you might loose the entire leg.

You must really have some foot english going on. I'm not sure I could do that I've I tried.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Gorilla Duct Tape to the rescue!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384473470.520073.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	846917

From a total of about 5-10 minutes on your bike. I for one would be interested in seeing the new chain stay design before signing up for a frame.
    Woah woah woah--be honest here. You told me about (and showed me) some of that damage before you'd even swung a leg over my bike!

mtbr member

Woah woah woah--be honest here. You told me about (and showed me) some of that damage before you'd even swung a leg over my bike!
    *grabs a bag of popcorn...*

mtbr member
    a tube of Neosporin may be more appropriate.

mtbr member
    Now...if you'd gotten some **close-up** photos of my zip-tie induced knee incisions...no one would even notice Eric's booboo's

mtbr member
    Flats rule!

Pick a wheel size...

At least you fellas avoided trail-induced injuries!

Who knew the bikes themselves would draw more blood than the western Colorado chunk?!

squish, squish in da fish
    enel how is that even possible? you must be one helluva duck foot and pedal with the axle on the rear of your arch

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Now...if you'd gotten some **close-up** photos of my zip-tie induced knee incisions...no one would even notice Eric's booboo's
    Visible in a few of the pics if you know where to look!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wow that is strange Enel.
    I hit and rub my 95C CS a lot , and I polish my crank arms and I have from time to time rubbed both of my inner ankles like that but it takes a 2 hr ride on a certain techy
    trail , .......10 min , man thats crazy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    Wow that is strange Enel.
    I hit and rub my 95C CS a lot , and I polish my crank arms and I have from time to time rubbed both of my inner ankles like that but it takes a 2 hr ride on a certain techy
    trail , .......10 min , man thats crazy.
    Exactly. Having ridden both bikes, you would be more likely to rub on the SB95c than the Lenz. So for "most" people this is a non-issue and will be even less of a non-issue with the 1.1 version triangle.

Maybe Mike was playing a cruel joke on you? Payback for the finger pins?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    And with no desire to change. That is a record.
    Not to highjack the thread but...

Colin+M, it's good to hear someone else has had a year of changing bikes. This year I've been through a handful of bikes...last bike was a Turner Burner (wanted to try 27.5). I built up a Rip9 RDO last night with the first ride happening in the morning.

I completely understand the feeling of the Lenz being a simple mountain bike without all the latest and greatest. That's what drew me to Turner - US made, alloy, simple and straight to the point - mountain biking. I just couldn't get the feel of the 27.5 (though downhill was awesome).

I decided to try the Rip9 RDO as I have always love the geo of Niner (I have a SS SIR9 as well). Hopefully the RIP will not disappoint.

The Lenz Lunchbox sure does have the appeal the Turner had although in a 29 size. I'll definitely be subscribing to this thread! Can't wait to hear more...

Elitest thrill junkie
    There is no perfect bike for everyone yet. Someone may want the pedaling and bump absorption of the WFO, or the chainstays of the LB, or the front derailleur and tire clearance of the E29. Each has strengths and minuses and no one is going to be perfect for all.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    There is no perfect bike for everyone yet. Someone may want the pedaling and bump absorption of the WFO, or the chainstays of the LB, or the front derailleur and tire clearance of the E29. Each has strengths and minuses and no one is going to be perfect for all.
    So torn between the current RIP (which I own), or going bigger with the new WFO or the 'Box. First world problems...

Powered by ice cream.

Only one side and that scab got torn off pronto. The little point on the side of the chain stay is wicked.

Anyway, new versions are out, and this has always been a problem for me on the Lenz frames. I definitely do it on the Prime occasionally. I just put felt wraps on my chain stays in the olden days.

Considering some sort of neoprene ankle armor or something.

Powered by ice cream.

Okay, I'm a freak. Here are my most favorite ten year old cranks.

The bike that started it all just got even better...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1384491783.647556.jpg
    The bike that started it all just got even better...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1384491795.046768.jpg

MTB B'dos
    No, not a freak, I know a guy who did that to his SLX cranks on his new Rumblefish in less than 2 months. On my Prime I had slight issues with my heal on the big curve of the chainstay and my heal, but I easily adapted and can't say I notice it now and they changed the design for production, so no worries there - FYI, size 13/48 shoes.
    Okay, I'm a freak. Here are my most favorite ten year old cranks.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384491783.647556.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	847020

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384491795.046768.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	847021
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

squish, squish in da fish
    i don't know why i didn't think of it earlier, but for those of you concerned about heel strikes, you could use pedal extenders. only downside to these are that your pedals need to be able to use a pedal wrench. won't be able to use allens. available in 5, 10, & 20mm. just a thought

mtbr member
    I realize this is long shot territory, but I figure Lenz owners will likely be checking in on this thread. I'll be in Sedona over X'mas/NYE and would love to test ride a Lenz. I'd be happy to compensate you in anyway that you think is fair.

I've got zero chance of a test ride back home in BC.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Well I'm not in Sedona, but if you're ever around Atlanta/Chattanooga I'm here for ya!

In terms of the heel strikes, I really think it's a non-issue as I noticed it a ton on my Yeti and none so far on the Lenz.

Eric is a self proclaimed ankle strikin' freak o' nature. I now know why the CamoBox had those little felt wraps on the chainstay now

I realize this is long shot territory, but I figure Lenz owners will likely be checking in on this thread. I'll be in Sedona over X'mas/NYE and would love to test ride a Lenz. I'd be happy to compensate you in anyway that you think is fair.

I've got zero chance of a test ride back home in BC.
    Driving or flying?

If driving, which route?

mtbr member
    Driving or flying?

If driving, which route?
    Driving from Port Angeles WA to SLC - 14/15 Dec. Then to Moab for a couple days riding [16/17 Dec] weather permitting to give my GF her first Moab experience and make a trip next fall easier to sell. Then on to Sedona.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Living the Dream
    Feb 2004
    Couple of questions on the Behemoth. Does anyone know if you can get this with lower BB of the lunchbox and if the bike will fit a monarch plus? Really interested in this bike to complement my soon to be ordered CZAR.

Talked to Nick and figured I might as well post the answers to my questions in case anyone else is interested:

- you can get a short CS Behemoth
    - you can get 142 or 150mm rear end
    - will have the higher BB which I like
    - a large Moth will be 1/2lb lighter in the frame and typically builds up 1lbs lighter over all compared to a Lunch Box
    - build time is 2-3 months currently
    - new Moth geo chart above and LB chart below

"And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    Couple of questions on the Behemoth. Does anyone know if you can get this with lower BB of the lunchbox and if the bike will fit a monarch plus? Really interested in this bike to complement my soon to be ordered CZAR.
    The 'Moth won't fit a piggyback shock. Not sure if they'd make a lower BB version.

You can get the Lunchbox in a 5" version with low BB and piggyback shock. That gives you the option for a 6" travel bike with a swap of rockers should you want to go there at some point.

I must say I'm really glad Lenz is still offering a high BB option bike. I went for a ride yesterday with a buddy on his new 6" bike that has a 13.6" BB and he was getting uber frequent pedal strikes. Ran into another friend on a new bike with a 13.4" BB and he said he liked his bike, but the pedal strikes were driving him a bit crazy.

My current ride has a 14" BB and I put really tall tires on it. I get a few strikes per ride, but not enough to bother me. I'm starting to think I should skip any bike with a BB less than 13.6" and really something closer to 14" is going to make me happier.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Living the Dream
    Feb 2004
    Thanks. Appreciate the info.

The 'Moth won't fit a piggyback shock. Not sure if they'd make a lower BB version.

You can get the Lunchbox in a 5" version with low BB and piggyback shock. That gives you the option for a 6" travel bike with a swap of rockers should you want to go there at some point.

I must say I'm really glad Lenz is still offering a high BB option bike. I went for a ride yesterday with a buddy on his new 6" bike that has a 13.6" BB and he was getting uber frequent pedal strikes. Ran into another friend on a new bike with a 13.4" BB and he said he liked his bike, but the pedal strikes were driving him a bit crazy.

My current ride has a 14" BB and I put really tall tires on it. I get a few strikes per ride, but not enough to bother me. I'm starting to think I should skip any bike with a BB less than 13.6" and really something closer to 14" is going to make me happier.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Living the Dream
    Feb 2004
    Is the 5inch version of the lunchbox, the same geo as the 6inch? Does anyone know the frame weight of the lunchbox? Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Is the 5inch version of the lunchbox, the same geo as the 6inch? Does anyone know the frame weight of the lunchbox? Thanks again.
    Frame weight is in those geo charts you quoted.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Frame weight is in those geo charts you quoted.
    The listed weight includes a Fox Van.

Living the Dream
    Feb 2004
    See that now. Thanks.

Driving from Port Angeles WA to SLC - 14/15 Dec. Then to Moab for a couple days riding [16/17 Dec] weather permitting to give my GF her first Moab experience and make a trip next fall easier to sell. Then on to Sedona.

Ping me as it gets closer. Might be able to meet you in Moab for a day.

Living the Dream
    Feb 2004
    Anyone know if Lenz is planning on doing a mammoth with punk ass stays and geomethy? I love the new lunchbox, but a mammoth or behemoth with a lower BB, slacker HA, and shorter stays makes more sense for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone know if Lenz is planning on doing a mammoth with punk ass stays and geomethy? I love the new lunchbox, but a mammoth or behemoth with a lower BB, slacker HA, and shorter stays makes more sense for me.
    I already asked and the answer was no. So the two choices are as linked above. LB or Moth.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Nick @ Lenz was very helpful in answering all my questions. You can find his email on the Lenz site and I think he may have posted it in this thread.

It would also be worth reading this thread through from the start. There is quite a lot of good info on the current version of the Lenz bikes here.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Living the Dream
    Feb 2004
    Thanks, I will contact Nick. I have read the whole thread a couple of times and searched MTBR and google for info on the Mammoth and Behemoth. I will share any new info I get from Nick. Thanks again and have fun on your bike vacation.
    Nick @ Lenz was very helpful in answering all my questions. You can find his email on the Lenz site and I think he may have posted it in this thread.

It would also be worth reading this thread through from the start. There is quite a lot of good info on the current version of the Lenz bikes here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Thanks, I will contact Nick. I have read the whole thread a couple of times and searched MTBR and google for info on the Mammoth and Behemoth. I will share any new info I get from Nick. Thanks again and have fun on your bike vacation.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I already asked and the answer was no. So the two choices are as linked above. LB or Moth.

I just answered it above for you and that answer is no, not going to happen.
    My email to Nick:
    "There is a thread on MTBR on the new
    Lunchbox that got me interested in your bikes.
    Will the new shorter CS length make it over to the Mammoth and
    Leviathan?"

"Hi Rob,

Thanks for your email. The 16.7 inch chainstay won't make it to the XC bikes, but we are doing the behemoth with the 16.7"CS. That's the way to go for a little bit lighter and more XC oriented. My behemoth weighs about 28/29 pounds with XX1. "
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I just answered it above for you and that answer is no, not going to happen.
    FWIW - my intent was to point out a lot of the info people want from Lenz is already available in this thread. For example the info you provided just now and that was posted earlier in the thread as well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

The new version LB frame weight is noted in the chart above.
    What does 15eff means for ST in all the sizes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    What does 15eff means for ST in all the sizes?
    The tube has a bend in it, so think of it just like effective top tube.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 11-18-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member

Re: The bike that started it all just got even better...

FWIW - my intent was to point out a lot of the info people want from Lenz is already available in this thread. For example the info you provided just now and that was posted earlier in the thread as well.
    Which is good, because they haven't answered any of my emails.

So thank you all, seriously.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Yes but it cannot be the effettive center to top misure, as it would be way too short in the big sizes.

Inviato dal mio HTC Desire C utilizzando Tapatalk

mtbr member

Test ride

I got to ride Mikesee's "Shortbox" one day on the Lunch Loops in Grand Junction, Colorado last week. And man did it make me feel old. How? you say. Mostly because it seems that I am so far behind the times. I have these preconceived notions about what makes a bike climb well and handle well. It just seems impossible that a bike with super short chainstays and such an upright riding position can climb like that.

The best I can come up with is that it is a noticeably shorter distance for the required weight transfer when you are going up those big step-ups. You can keep your momentum going (less 'monkey impregnating the football' feeling). That was the main thing I noticed.

But then there are all of the 'obvious' things you would expect. At 30 lbs. with 1000g tires this bike rides light. My Cannondale Trigger with anemic tires weighs 31 lbs. and feels much heavier by comparison.

Then there is the short chainstays that make the bike effortless to manual. How can a bike with short chainstays climb well AND manual well? Hell if I know (that is that 'old guy' feeling I was telling you about). What about the slack head tube angle? It should steer like absolute shite at slow speeds right? Once again, don't ask me.

When I am on that bike everything feels so wrong but it does everything so right. It is amazingly versatile, for Christ sake it has 6 inches of travel. Who would have known you can go up hill and down on a bike that would have been considered just a DH bike not too long ago. Pretty cool.

It is not an XC race bike obviously but if you like to go out and have fun on your bike particularly on technical trails you deserve to give this bike a try. It should be a bastard freak bike but somehow it isn't.
    Last edited by Sick Sticks; 11-19-2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: bad editing
    There is nothing more difficult to plan or more dangerous to manage than the establishment of a new order of things.

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Sticks View Post
    I got to ride Mikesee's "Shortbox" one day on the Lunch Loops in Grand Junction, Colorado last week. And man did it make me feel old. How? you say. Mostly because it seems that I am so far behind the times. I have these preconceived notions about what makes a bike climb well and handle well. It just seems impossible that a bike with super short chainstays and such an upright riding position can climb like that.
    Have you ridden any other modern 29er's recently to compare? I would love to throw a leg over the shortbox.

mtbr member
    I am trying to learn about this frame that has been recommended to me.

Is this a live link ?

http://twentynineinches.com/2007/05/...the-lunch-box/

mtbr member
    You'll learn more from this thread than anywhere else in cyberland. That is the "old" Lunchbox, quite an innovation then and now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    I am trying to learn about this frame that has been recommended to me.

Is this a live link ?

http://twentynineinches.com/2007/05/...the-lunch-box/
    No.

You'll learn more from this thread than anywhere else in cyberland. That is the "old" Lunchbox, quite an innovation then and now.
    +1 - this is the place for Lenz info at the moment. Thanks to everyone with a new Lenz that took the time to share info and experiences.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just playing the waiting game on the frame at this point. Will post up some pics of the 'new' chainstay design when it arrives.

All these pictures and ride reviews aren't making the waiting any easier...

oh crap...
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Rock View Post
    Just playing the waiting game on the frame at this point. Will post up some pics of the 'new' chainstay design when it arrives.

All these pictures and ride reviews aren't making the waiting any easier...
    Same here...stoked!
    Grow some food for yourself.

mtbr member

Other bikes

Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post
    Have you ridden any other modern 29er's recently to compare? I would love to throw a leg over the shortbox.
    I have owned a Pivot Mach 29, Tallboy XC Carbon, Tallboy LTC, and presently a Cannondale Trigger with a Rock Shox Pike 150 fork. I have ridden a RIP and WFO, a Bronson, and have ridden and owned numerous 29ers since 2003. The Shortbox is totally different than any of them. If you get a chance you should try one.
    There is nothing more difficult to plan or more dangerous to manage than the establishment of a new order of things.

mtbr member
    What he said^^^. This bike is in a class of one. If it had a "S" on the headtube it would be plastered all over your favorite mtb mag. I consider it the best kept secret in all of mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So,looking at the pics you guys have posted of the new LB compared to Lenz pics on their site of the original LB,has the TT been re-designed to more of a swooped down look kind of like on a SC TB only shorter, or is it just your camera angles and computer images doing that.(Either way I love the look)
    Can this bike built up fairly decent for around 4k ?

Pick a wheel size...
    Not entirely certain on the TT shaping... I noticed that as well and looking at pics of my 2012 LB, I would deduce it has been re-designed.

I would think one could build up a ShortBox for ~$4k if you looked hard enough for closeouts and you're ok with used or slightly used parts.

I firmly believe there's one component to not skimp on--your wheelset. This bike invokes confidence to take lines you've never tried, or haven't even seen/noticed before. The last thing you want are weak and flimsy wheels.

mtbr member
    Lenz bikes always look 1000% better in person than they do on the website.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    To me, the only question is: how much am I going to notice the loss of the feel of carbon? I've ridden otherwise identical bikes with both frame materials, and the feel of carbon is a real thing, and its technological superiority in building a better *riding* frame, all other things equal, is also real.

Maybe put another way: if Devin could make bikes out of carbon with the same skill and ease as he does aluminum, would he make aluminum bikes? You don't hear a lot of people making arguments for the outright superiority of aluminum as a frame material (and the ones that do frequently make bad arguments**). Small scale builders make metal frames because it's not feasible to make carbon frames on a small scale.

So that's my only reservation, really. I'm sold on the superiority of carbon (ceteris paribus), and that's currently an unavoidable tradeoff if you want a Lenz. I can live without the acronyms and advertisements.

**Disclaimer: I'm intentionally bracketing the "I crash a lot, so I need a metal frame" argument.
    You are correct in your assessment of the Carbon feel. But most people do not fathom the intensity of the labor involved in composites. I have been to Devins shop more than once, and he has his duck's lined up in the alloy business. It would mean a total redo, and investment in some pricey stuff to be able to safe, and securely produce a Carbon variant of either of his bikes. On the flip side of this, I have been dancing around the idea for about a year now to make my own evil box......in ehhh..... Carbon. Devin would also need the right guy to work his composite side, as things can be a bit tricky with regards to strength, and design. You would be able to knock off between 1.5-2.25 pounds of the weight.

Erling

mtbr member
    In regards to the "carbon feel", I've had more than a few and the Lenz feels smoother and more solid on the same trails. Best feeling bike I've owned in all categories except weight and it doesn't ride heavy. We're talking 1-2 lbs difference between carbon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    In regards to the "carbon feel", I've had more than a few and the Lenz feels smoother and more solid on the same trails. Best feeling bike I've owned in all categories except weight and it doesn't ride heavy. We're talking 1-2 lbs difference between carbon.
    Yeppers...... It would totally not be worth the money, it would cost to set up shop, and produce them in Carbon.

mtbr member
    So it had been 2 weeks since I've had a chance to ride the Shortbox and I fell in love all over again. This bikes just does it all so well without compromise. Climbs steep terrain better than any bike I've owned. So much rear wheel traction and the front end stays planted.

The descent? Well as you'd expect it rails.

The bike that started it all just got even better...-1122131316a.jpgThe bike that started it all just got even better...-1122131316b.jpgThe bike that started it all just got even better...-1122131316c.jpg

mtbr member
    So it had been 2 weeks since I've had a chance to ride the Shortbox and I fell in love all over again. This bikes just does it all so well without compromise. Climbs steep terrain better than any bike I've owned. So much rear wheel traction and the front end stays planted.

The descent? Well as you'd expect it rails.
    Is that an Ikon on the back? That thing looks huge. Minion DHF on the front? How are you liking the tire setup?

I'm wondering, also, about the true "flickability" of this bike. How easy is this thing to manual and pop off of little hits? I'm interested in exploring this part of my riding, but I've gotten so used to the flowy 29er feel, and don't want to give that up by going with a smaller wheel size. Best of both worlds with this bike?

mtbr member
    Yep. 2.35 Ikon. It is a very big volume tire that rolls and grips extremely well. That is a DHR 2.3 on the front actually, I've got a brand new DHF 2.3 that I need to try out sometime.

In terms of "flickability", if you want to grab some air on waterbreaks/drops, etc..this bike does it better than any I've owned. On the other hand, if you want to carve and ride the rails, the stability that we've all come to love with 29ers is still there.

This bike isn't twitchy at all, if that's what you're wondering. It is stable to the point that you get a little too brave at times

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Colin/ Mikesee/jimithng.. aside from the bikes(and your) ability to imitate a mountain goat,how does the rear suspension feel on longer sustained climbs as far a pedal bob?

You guys are going to make me go against my mantra of never buying a bike I can't demo first.PLEASE STOP !

mtbr member
    I'm currently running an X-Fusion 02 RCX(200x51mm) with it fully open, 5 inch rockers and I don't notice any significant bobbing either in or out of the saddle. I honestly notice more motion at the fork than I ever do at the shock. It feels nice and firm yet supple. Feels bottomless on the big stuff.

Pick a wheel size...
    On the few extended climbs I've been on there's been no discernible feeling of pedal bob. Does that mean bob was not present? If a tree falls in the forest with no one present to hear it, does it make a sound?

On my ride today I tried to pay attention to the rear making any unwanted movement while climbing--the trailhead at my local trail system begins by climbing to the highest point so this affords me the perfect opportunity to "test" pedal bob right off the bat. It's there, I'm sure, but it isn't nearly enough to be that type of energy-sucking bob we're all looking to avoid or even enough to take away any of my attention from the trail.

This trail system has multiple short punchy climbs, some requiring stand-and-mash, and a few "extended" climbs...performance is all there.

I didn't demo my first Lenz either...haven't looked back for a single second.

Pick a wheel size...
    ...fully open, 5 inch rockers and I don't notice any significant bobbing either in or out of the saddle. I honestly notice more motion at the fork than I ever do at the shock. It feels nice and firm yet supple. Feels bottomless on the big stuff.
    this is darn near exactly what I'm feeling with the 200x57 Vivid Air/150 Pike setup.

although I fiddled with a few clicks of rebound and LSC on the Pike today and I'm feeling as though I'm closer to matching the *feel* from front to back.

I've got a M+ showing up tomorrow to throw a wrench in all of that!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    On the few extended climbs I've been on there's been no discernible feeling of pedal bob. Does that mean bob was not present? If a tree falls in the forest with no one present to hear it, does it make a sound?

On my ride today I tried to pay attention to the rear making any unwanted movement while climbing--the trailhead at my local trail system begins by climbing to the highest point so this affords me the perfect opportunity to "test" pedal bob right off the bat. It's there, I'm sure, but it isn't nearly enough to be that type of energy-sucking bob we're all looking to avoid or even enough to take away any of my attention from the trail.

This trail system has multiple short punchy climbs, some requiring stand-and-mash, and a few "extended" climbs...performance is all there.

I didn't demo my first Lenz either...haven't looked back for a single second.
    Does your bike have the 5 or 6" rockers?

Pick a wheel size...

Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Does your bike have the 5 or 6" rockers?
    5's

mtbr member
    Anyone place an order recently? Wondering what the lead time is. The fine folks in Colorado are out of the office 'til December 2, and I'm curious.

My RIP 9 has helped me push my riding to places I couldn't imagine, and I can't believe it but it has me asking for more. More stiffness in the rear, more travel... my 150 Pike is writing checks that the rear end can't cash. Hoping to put an order in on a 'Box on Monday.

mtbr member
    You'll be amazed at how stiff the rear triangle is. I couldn't get it to flex a smidge with the wheel out and pushing my hands together. This bike is SOLID.

As far as lead time, I have no clue. Sorry

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So I have followed this thread and have a question. I think the Lenz bikes are really neat but in order to get the short chain stays you have to go with the 1x11 and I want to stay with a 2x10 mostly because I like the really low gear I can get. i am fairly old and heavy might as well call it like it is. Also i like a low bottom bracket .Anyway the only bike I have found with the real short stays and 2x10 compatibility is the devinci atlas what do you all think of that bike. Hope it was ok to ask that here if not sorry. Thanks

mtbr member

Re: The bike that started it all just got even better...

Quote Originally Posted by JIMSLICK View Post
    So I have followed this thread and have a question. I think the Lenz bikes are really neat but in order to get the short chain stays you have to go with the 1x11 and I want to stay with a 2x10 mostly because I like the really low gear I can get. i am fairly old and heavy might as well call it like it is. Also i like a low bottom bracket .Anyway the only bike I have found with the real short stays and 2x10 compatibility is the devinci atlas what do you all think of that bike. Hope it was ok to ask that here if not sorry. Thanks
    I am on the same fence looking at the same frames.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Anyone place an order recently? Wondering what the lead time is. The fine folks in Colorado are out of the office 'til December 2, and I'm curious.
    I asked a couple weeks ago and the word I got was 2-3 months. I took that to mean I would be riding in early March. They are working on a batch of snow bikes AFAIK and once that's done attention will turn back to MTBs.

When I spoke to Lenz previously inquiring about specific finish options I was told if I might have to add a month plus to my order to get it....sorry I can't recall what I was asking for, but it wasn't too wacky. Either a custom powdercoat colour or anodization colour.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    The 1x11 28-42 drivetrain is effectively like riding a 22t granny and 34 rear cog. That's a pretty easy gear.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The 1x11 28-42 drivetrain is effectively like riding a 22t granny and 34 rear cog. That's a pretty easy gear.
    11-42 10 speed options are just around the corner, too. There are already 42t cogs available and SRAM or Shimano offerings will likely soon follow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Received an e-mail from Nick at Lenz on Mon. Wait time is still 2-3 months for now with production expected to ramp up in the spring.
    He also stated they would be up-dating their website soon and adding a few "complete build" options for the LB.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Received an e-mail from Nick at Lenz on Mon. Wait time is still 2-3 months for now with production expected to ramp up in the spring.
    He also stated they would be up-dating their website soon and adding a few "complete build" options for the LB.
    The more I think about it, the longer 2-3 months seems. That's like 10-15 runs down my local chunkfest trail. Then again, if Colin has lasted a month on this bike without looking elsewhere, I should be good for about 5 years once I actually get it...

mtbr member
    Exactly. Totally worth the wait. If it makes you feel any better I had to wait 3 months for mine too

mtbr member
    Exactly. Totally worth the wait. If it makes you feel any better I had to wait 3 months for mine too
    +1 Given the level of customization you can get with a Lenz it's well worth 2-3 months wait.

There are plenty of people waiting on production bikes for longer than 3 months that have zero customization.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

+1 Given the level of customization you can get with a Lenz it's well worth 2-3 months wait.

There are plenty of people waiting on production bikes for longer than 3 months that have zero customization.
    What would one customize on this bike? Other than color and finish...

mtbr member
    I'll say it again, best bike I've owned/ridden and that is a LOOONNNGGGG list

mtbr member
    Custom geometry is available for an upcharge, not that I personally needed it.

mtbr member
    Well I've narrowed my new bike hunt down to 3 bikes.

A Lenz:

- I can dial in the BB height
    - get different travel options with different rockers
    - you can the longer or shorter CS
    - pick the shock
    - pick the colour
    - I haven't asked about a custom geo, but apparently that's on the table
    - Hand made in the US

Of the other two bikes I am looking at:

- 1 will let me pick from 3 colours only and the wait is 3 months and costs more than a Lenz
    - 1 will let me pick colour from 4 colours only and give me 2 shock choices and the wait is 4 months+ and it costs the same as a Lenz
    - neither of these bikes is handmade in the US

Pretty much any question I have had or request the answer at Lenz has been yes. That's pretty cool...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    the only bike I have found with the real short stays and 2x10 compatibility is the devinci atlas what do you all think of that bike. Hope it was ok to ask that here if not sorry. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    I am on the same fence looking at the same frames.
    I don't have a Lenz, but I'm following this thread because this new LB looks to be a great frame.
    I have a Devinci Atlas, and I can say that it's the most playful bike I ever rode.
    If you can live with 110mm of travel in the back, the Atlas is a great choice, I think. The Lunchbox is a 150mm frame and that's quite a big difference.
    My Devinci is for sale now, as I'd like more travel, and the LB is in the shortlist.

Pick a wheel size...
    The more I think about it, the longer 2-3 months seems. That's like 10-15 runs down my local chunkfest trail. Then again, if Colin has lasted a month on this bike without looking elsewhere, I should be good for about 5 years once I actually get it...
    it's worth it.

wait.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    it's worth it.

wait.
    I think tomorrow's the day. Rawthic or flat black with gloss black graphics?

mtbr member
    Rawthic is just so bad ass. My favorite bike finish, period. So I'm totally biased Of course you could do a "color" just to be different from the other 3 or 4 of us

mtbr member

My wife will notice a bike of a different color than my black RIP... Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    In that case, black

mtbr member

In that case, black
    The other issue is that I'll be using these wheels:

Wonder how they'd look with the raw finish.

mtbr member
    Rawthic is the new black. It goes with everything. In all seriousness, I chose Rawthic for 2 main reasons.

#1- It would mean I would have my frame 3 or so weeks sooner.
    #2- Scratches? Who cares. It adds character.

mtbr member

It's hard to get a read on how dark it is. Some pictures it looks bright and silvery, some are dark and industrial.

3 weeks to paint, eh?

mtbr member
    Here are some pics I took just now in my garage with florescent lighting. No flash. Holding my breath. Squinting my left eye.

The bike that started it all just got even better...-lenz11.jpgThe bike that started it all just got even better...-lenz12.jpgThe bike that started it all just got even better...-lenz13.jpg

mtbr member

Here are some pics I took just now in my garage with florescent lighting. No flash. Holding my breath. Squinting my left eye.

Name:	Lenz11.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	851628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenz12.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	851630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenz13.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	851631
    Man, that is beautifugly. Is there a clear coat over it?

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast