Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132
Results 1,551 to 1,581 of 1581
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    nevermind
    Last edited by TwoTone; 04-15-2016 at 04:08 PM.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Maybe this is posted somewhere in the 63 former pages, but looking online at the CaneCreek website it lists 190x50 for the shock size. I thought these were 200x50 for the 6" travel? I cannot get my Float X to work the way I want, so I'm thinking of going the DB inline route and want to make sure I get the right size.

Thanks

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Rock View Post
    Maybe this is posted somewhere in the 63 former pages, but looking online at the CaneCreek website it lists 190x50 for the shock size. I thought these were 200x50 for the 6" travel? I cannot get my Float X to work the way I want, so I'm thinking of going the DB inline route and want to make sure I get the right size.

Thanks
    Consider sending the FloatX to Avalanche or Push -- they can tune it to work just like you want. I had Craig @ Avalanche tune a Float CTD for my Canfield Riot and I really like it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That's the other option, and maybe it would be good to retain the extra oil capacity of the Float X vs the Inline as heating up the Inline was a bit of a concern. I do have a line on a recently warrantied 200x50 inline though, so the swap wouldn't really cost much (if anything) after selling the float x.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That's the other option, and maybe it would be good to retain the extra oil capacity of the Float X vs the Inline as heating up the Inline was a bit of a concern. I do have a line on a recently warrantied 200x50 inline though, so the swap wouldn't really cost much (if anything) after selling the float x.
    I hate to say it, but based on what I've seen on the reliability of the Inline, I'd either get the Fox tuned or get a CCDBAcs. I had Canfield send my Riot sans shock after all the issues I've been reading on the Inline.

If you end up Interested in a CCDBAcs, I'll sell you the one off my Lunchbox.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    this is my behemoth xl 29. it is a blast to ride.
    still setting up and waiting for a dropper.

compare to a sc tb lt I rode few times, it is (a long) way more agile, feels lighter, climbs much better, corners faster.

The bike that started it all just got even better...-lenz_behemoth_29_xl.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For anyone that has thought about being able to run a Lenz both in long travel and short, I have my Talas for sale. For a Lenz buyer, I'll throw in the 5 inch rockers, those are $125.

2015 Fox Factory Talas 160-130 29er - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Fork offset question - any noticable difference between the 51mm offset and 44/46mm offset? Lenz recommended 46, but there's a bunch of 51mm forks on sale right now (nearly half-price) so I'm wondering if anybody has input on the differences?

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkraemer View Post
    Fork offset question - any noticable difference between the 51mm offset and 44/46mm offset? Lenz recommended 46, but there's a bunch of 51mm forks on sale right now (nearly half-price) so I'm wondering if anybody has input on the differences?
    I am sensitive about most things, but not fork offset. I have never noticed a difference and couldn't tell you the offset of the loop I am currently riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkraemer View Post
    I had a 51mm offset for the last 2 seasons on my Lunchbox, eventually needed a longer steerer tube as I'm so tall that I don't even cut it and leave it at 10", from the 8.5" I used to have. Fox only had the 44mm offset that would work on my lowers so I got it anyway. I don't notice much of a difference, morso the difference is from the 1.5" higher bar height than anything. I would go with the 51mm offset if you can save a lot of $$$ and put that money elsewhere on the bike.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    @enel/@Nolan - thanks for the feedback on the offset

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Machianera View Post
    this is my behemoth xl 29. it is a blast to ride.
    still setting up and waiting for a dropper.

compare to a sc tb lt I rode few times, it is (a long) way more agile, feels lighter, climbs much better, corners faster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lenz_behemoth_29_xl.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	496.5 KB 
ID:	1062073
    Nice looking bike. I like the finish.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi All,

I have a Fox X2 with the climb switch coming for my Lunchbox. I didn't know if anyone had an X2 on theirs and figured out a decent base tune. I took the numbers off of the Fox site but it is more of a "if you weight is this much try this range" and doesn't say much for the type of bike, volume reducers, etc like Cane Creek has in the Lounge. Just figured it doesn't hurt to ask before I get over my head playing with too many types of adjustment.

Thanks in advance.

-Nolan

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I am sensitive about most things, but not fork offset. I have never noticed a difference and couldn't tell you the offset of the loop I am currently riding.
    Perchance could that be because you're riding a Stage, and not a Loop?!

You once blathered on at length (while riding) about how increasing offset was a bad, bad thing. Maybe you were hypoglycemic, but you were pretty convinced during that ride that you would never willingly go with increased offset. I don't remember how you'd framed the argument, but find it curious that you're ambivalent about it now. Care to share the reason(s) behind the change of heart?

Powered by ice cream.

The bike that started it all just got even better...

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Perchance could that be because you're riding a Stage, and not a Loop?!

You once blathered on at length (while riding) about how increasing offset was a bad, bad thing. Maybe you were hypoglycemic, but you were pretty convinced during that ride that you would never willingly go with increased offset. I don't remember how you'd framed the argument, but find it curious that you're ambivalent about it now. Care to share the reason(s) behind the change of heart?
    I messed with different offset rigid forks a lot while designing a custom bike. This is the only time I remember thinking a bunch about offset. I came the the conclusion that I care a lot about front center, especially on a rigid, but it didn't matter a lot to me how I got to a particular front center measurement. Head angle, offset, top tube, whatever. So long as the front center was where I wanted it, I could live with a lot of variation in the above.

Perhaps shorter offset allowed me to keep wheelbase in check with a slacker head angle and roomier top tube? If a bike is overly long I see no reason to get the front wheel even more out there. I suppose that is what the blathering was about. Don't care for long bikes.

For a suspension bike there is so much more monkey motion going on I guess I don't think it is all that important and I am now so clueless and unconnected to MTB world I don't even know which fork I am riding so take it all with a huge grain of salt.

I do not recall our trail conversation. I don't know the name of the fork I use on the Lunchmoney I can't recall right now what the Rockshox fork on the Prime is called actually which is a sad sign of advancing dementia.

I don't know the offset of the forks on the Jones, the Prime and the Lunchmoney any mor either, I just ride them and like them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I messed with different offset rigid forks a lot while designing a custom bike. This is the only time I remember thinking a bunch about offset. I came the the conclusion that I care a lot about front center, especially on a rigid, but it didn't matter a lot to me how I got to a particular front center measurement. Head angle, offset, top tube, whatever. So long as the front center was where I wanted it, I could live with a lot of variation in the above.

Perhaps shorter offset allowed me to keep wheelbase in check with a slacker head angle and roomier top tube? If a bike is overly long I see no reason to get the front wheel even more out there. I suppose that is what the blathering was about. Don't care for long bikes.

For a suspension bike there is so much more monkey motion going on I guess I don't think it is all that important and I am now so clueless and unconnected to MTB world I don't even know which fork I am riding so take it all with a huge grain of salt.

I do not recall our trail conversation. I don't know the name of the fork I use on the Lunchmoney I can't recall right now what the Rockshox fork on the Prime is called actually which is a sad sign of advancing dementia.

I don't know the offset of the forks on the Jones, the Prime and the Lunchmoney any mor either, I just ride them and like them all.
    I think we're largely in agreement. How you arrive there isn't as important as *that* you get there. And since forks are prepackaged with limited options for offset, we've learned to 'tune' the rest of the geo to make that offset work.

Pretty sure we were discussing offset in the Dells while riding with the Brit whose name escapes me right now. Chris? Dementia indeed...

Not knowing the names of every random bike part is in fact a sign of mental health, instead of more evidence of CDO. Congrats.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I think we're largely in agreement. How you arrive there isn't as important as *that* you get there. And since forks are prepackaged with limited options for offset, we've learned to 'tune' the rest of the geo to make that offset work.

Pretty sure we were discussing offset in the Dells while riding with the Brit whose name escapes me right now. Chris? Dementia indeed...

Not knowing the names of every random bike part is in fact a sign of mental health, instead of more evidence of CDO. Congrats.
    Yes to all.

Chris Hosking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Found this interesting:

Lenz Sport Lunchbox 2016 - Linkage Design

The translation is a little rough, and I can't make sense of the charts (maybe someone on here can?) but it basically seems to imply what we already know: not the most efficient pedaler, but great in the tech and chunk. Progressive throughout it's travel. Which leads me to the question - would the ideal shock be smaller volume, also progressive throughout its stroke to match the characteristics intrinsic to the frame, or would it be better to have a linear larger volume shock and let the frame do the ramping up/down? The latter seems to make more sense to me...but I don't look at this stuff every day.

On a the subject of stoke, we just got back from a 3 week trip with some fun riding in NorCal and OR, and the bike is still a blast to rip around on. Especially on Toad's Wild Ride...that was some good stuff.

mtbr member
    Which leads me to the question - would the ideal shock be smaller volume, also progressive throughout its stroke to match the characteristics intrinsic to the frame, or would it be better to have a linear larger volume shock and let the frame do the ramping up/down?
    You don't have to choose. Just add volume reduction spacers to your shock until you get the amount of ramp up that makes you happy. It's a relatively easy tuning mechanism and you are not relying on some theoretical interpretation of the suspension.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That's what I'm messing with at the moment. For awhile I didn't think I was getting full travel, until I re-read this thread and found the info on the 3:1 leverage ratio and sure enough, where the o-ring sits is right at the 2" mark even though the shock still has room to go. I also switched over to flats this year and have been getting pedal strikes out the ass, but that could also be due to the bigger area they take up under the foot than just a set of XTs.

Might just start with the extremes of the spacers - try the smallest one, then ride the same trail with the largest one and see where that gets me and dial it in from there.

Might just start with the extremes of the spacers - try the smallest one, then ride the same trail with the largest one and see where that gets me and dial it in from there.
    You won't notice much until you've got a bunch of spacers in there. The difference between none and the smallest one is irrelevant. The difference between none and "a lot" is dramatic. Start with a lot, ride, note differences, and remove them in small quantities until you find your sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Fair enough. I'll try to get it sorted by late fall, it'll take some time.

I snagged a spot in the BC Bike Race, using up my 'new bike' money, so it's between the Spearfish and the Lunchbox as my riding options. I'm not a contender for the podium, and while the 'fish is a much faster climber, I might bring the 'box just for downhill forgiveness that I'm guessing will be needed on days 4-7. But getting the shock dialed in for climbing is necessary prior to that happening.

Fair enough. I'll try to get it sorted by late fall, it'll take some time.

I snagged a spot in the BC Bike Race, using up my 'new bike' money, so it's between the Spearfish and the Lunchbox as my riding options. I'm not a contender for the podium, and while the 'fish is a much faster climber, I might bring the 'box just for downhill forgiveness that I'm guessing will be needed on days 4-7. But getting the shock dialed in for climbing is necessary prior to that happening.

You can get it dialed a lot faster than that.

Because your position and the fork are, presumptively, already dialed, all you have to focus on is the rear shock.

Change the volume spacers after every ride, making careful notes on pressure, likes/dislikes, etc... after each ride. 5 or 6 rides is way, way more than enough to get the volume sorted, then you can fine tune pressures, then other settings.

Not rocket science. You just have be attentive and a bit pernickety. Comes naturally for some of us...

mtbr member

You'll want an efficient bike for the BCBR. The days are long! I'd either over fork the Spearfish and run aggressive, but decent rolling tires or run the LB with the 5" rockers and drop the fork travel to match run the lightest wheels you have.

Having tires that can handle wet roots/rocks and mud without rolling like slugs is key. I wouldn't run XC rubber. If you can bring two sets of tires and decide last minute coastal weather is pretty stable a few days out so you can optimize for faster rolling if it's going to be dry.

You don't need a lot of bike for the descents. People are doing the race on XC whips.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I was already planning on the 2 sets of tires route, but that's an interesting comment about the descents. Maybe I'm reading the wrong trip reports, everything I read made it sound like riding Whistler level DH for 7 days in a row.

Attentive and pernickety aren't my strong suits...but I'll give it a whirl.

There's always next year.
    I was already planning on the 2 sets of tires route, but that's an interesting comment about the descents. Maybe I'm reading the wrong trip reports, everything I read made it sound like riding Whistler level DH for 7 days in a row.

Attentive and pernickety aren't my strong suits...but I'll give it a whirl.

Its been five years since I raced BCBR... but my experience... no, its not 7 days of Whistler DH by any means. Depending on where you are from, the technical aspects of BC single track can be a ‘whole new world.’ But if you’re a pretty technically sound rider, the trails won’t be an issue--fitness would be though, so that you have the energy for the descents. My year I ran a Pivot 429 with a 120m fork and IKON 2.2s. I was fine, but when I do it again, I’ll take a little more tire, even if it was just bumped up to the 2.35 IKONs.

vikb provides absolutely sound advice. Since you’re basically doing it for fun, ride the bike you are more comfortable on for long hours and then prep it appropriately--and bring whatever spares you might need (hangers, etc). Good luck! BCBR is in my top 2 ‘events’ I’ve ever done mountain biking. Every day was a different, exhausting, but worth it beyond words.
    Last edited by padrefan1982; 08-18-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: grammar...

mtbr member
    Maybe I'm reading the wrong trip reports, everything I read made it sound like riding Whistler level DH for 7 days in a row.

^^^^ that describes the Trans BC Enduro Stage Race. The BCBR is a technical XC race. There are lots of fireroad grinder segments. But thing is when you are totally shagged at the end of 50-60kms a moderate downhill on a XC/trail bike in the rain can be pretty epic.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

^^^^ that describes the Trans BC Enduro Stage Race. The BCBR is a technical XC race. There are lots of fireroad grinder segments. But thing is when you are totally shagged at the end of 50-60kms a moderate downhill on a XC/trail bike in the rain can be pretty epic.
    Funny you say that. I was thinking BCBR 2017, and if it goes well, Trans BC Enduro 2018. I'd rather go hunt down big events like that, than buy a new bike each year.

PCT
    Enthusiast
    Jun 2009

Medium Punkass LB Frame/Shock - Priced to Sell

Medium Punkass Frame/Shock for Sale:
    Priced to sell at $999 plus shipping to lower 48 states
    Hit me up with questions
    Priced to Sell: Lenz Lunchbox Punkass! Frame (M) and Shock - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Behemoth with 6" rockers?

I'm looking to change out my standard 5" rocker arms on my Punkass Behemoth and install the 6" ones. I'm currently running a 140mm Stage fork, and intend to also change it to 150mm (could go to 160mm?).

Can anyone who has done the same comment on how it will change the feel of the bike? I love the feel of the Behemoth but was hoping it might make it capable of burlier terrain geometry wise. The 68 deg head angle is the only thing I feel that lets it down at the moment.

Am I wasting my time and go straight to a Lunchbox? I'm doing it because I've also just built up a Knolly Endorphin 27.5 and it feels very similar to my Behemoth in its current form.

Thanks
    Dr Chris
    www.bikebrew.com.au
    Australian Distributor for Knolly Bikes | Chromag
    Australian Dealer for LenzSport | MRP Suspension

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by field_c View Post
    I'm looking to change out my standard 5" rocker arms on my Punkass Behemoth and install the 6" ones. I'm currently running a 140mm Stage fork, and intend to also change it to 150mm (could go to 160mm?).

Can anyone who has done the same comment on how it will change the feel of the bike? I love the feel of the Behemoth but was hoping it might make it capable of burlier terrain geometry wise. The 68 deg head angle is the only thing I feel that lets it down at the moment.

Am I wasting my time and go straight to a Lunchbox? I'm doing it because I've also just built up a Knolly Endorphin 27.5 and it feels very similar to my Behemoth in its current form.

Thanks
    Dr Chris
    Other than a degree of HA I don't remeber there being a difference other than the ability to run a Piggyback shock. So in the vain of wanting to do more rugged terrain, not knowing what that is to you, you need to decide if that is going to call for a better shock like a PB shock.

A shameless plug, I have my Large Lunchbox for sale, with both rockers and a CCDBAcs and CC110 headset if you decide to go new bike route.
    Also have the DT350/ Derby AM rim wheels.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132