Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No matter what he says, he'll ride for a month or two and we'll see the next new bike.

Colin have you ever ridden a Devinci Atlas? I'm asking because I don't need the travel, so I've been thinking of trading the TBc for an Atlas for the short chainstays.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Weight? And 1x only, yes?

Like the way the Lenz's ride. Torn between this and Mammoth for a one bike quiver. The short CS's and burliness of the 'box are appealing, but the weight and possible efficiency increase of the mammoth make it tough to choose.

Also curious to your thoughts on the monarch plus vs CCDBA (I think you had one on a Spider Comp?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I do have a history of such things...but I think I'll keep this one for awhile longer than the others. Mainly because I've been following along on the entire development process of it for months so it's kinda like a family member at this point.

I haven't ridden a Devinci, but I can tell you that short stays make a difference so I might be worth a look.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Colin+M
    Please compare and contrast with the Rip9 Rdo. Thanks for all your contributions here

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    No matter what he says, he'll ride for a month or two and we'll see the next new bike.
    LOL

Yep I will sell a bike because the brake pads are worn.

Colin+m will sell 1 because the Tires need air

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Forgot to add, BB height is 13.5 inches with the 150mm Pike. This improvement was huge for me as I always felt the previous model's BB height was a tad tall for east coast carving. Now it slays corners. I don't have the chunk and chunder like out west, so the additional height was a hinderance to getting that "in the bike" feel. Problem solved.
    Nice looking bike. Is the lower BB the only option now or can you still get the 14" BB. I live in rocky/rooty terrain so I appreciate a higher BB.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Rock View Post

Like the way the Lenz's ride. Torn between this and Mammoth for a one bike quiver. The short CS's and burliness of the 'box are appealing, but the weight and possible efficiency increase of the mammoth make it tough to choose.

Also curious to your thoughts on the monarch plus vs CCDBA (I think you had one on a Spider Comp?)
    Frame weight was right around 7.6 lbs w/o shock, bike as pictured above with pedals, sealant etc etc is 29.5 lbs. Not an XC bike, but more than capable for anything you want to throw at it.

I had a Mammoth, and with the 5 inch rockers on the Lunchbox, I can't tell much in the way of difference in pedaling efficiency. The frame weight difference is about 1.5 lbs between the frames.

I'm curious if Devin is planning on a Mammoth with 16.75 inch stays in the future, that would be a delight as well.

For me, not being a suspension tuning guru, I appreciate the simplicity of the Monarch plus. I'm sure the DBair would be sublime if I took the time to try and set it up properly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    LOL

Yep I will sell a bike because the brake pads are worn.

Colin+m will sell 1 because the Tires need air
    Now that is funny

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Nice looking bike. Is the lower BB the only option now or can you still get the 14" BB. I live in rocky/rooty terrain so I appreciate a higher BB.
    I'm not sure to be honest. I didn't order it "custom" so I'm thinking the lower BB is gonna be standard. I know Mike C. is running his with a 160mm Pike and hasn't had much in terms of trouble with the boulders he rides daily. I personally think the BB needed to come down some, I've ridden the older Boxes and this lower version feels much more stable and "modern" if you will.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tws_andrew View Post
    Colin+M
    Please compare and contrast with the Rip9 Rdo. Thanks for all your contributions here
    I still have the Rip RDO, will need some more saddle time on both to really give you an honest answer. The RDO is really really good and really different from the Lunchbox. Even with 1 inch shorter chainstays, the Lenz is about 1/2 inch longer in WB. BB height is higher on the Niner. Pedaling efficiency is close, both are nice and active on chunk/roots with gobs of traction. The Niner is obviously lighter and the Lenz is overall stiffer. Reach feels longer on the Niner in size large vs. the Lenz in size large.

If I had to keep only one...

Stay tuned

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Frame weight was right around 7.6 lbs w/o shock, bike as pictured above with pedals, sealant etc etc is 29.5 lbs. Not an XC bike, but more than capable for anything you want to throw at it.

I had a Mammoth, and with the 5 inch rockers on the Lunchbox, I can't tell much in the way of difference in pedaling efficiency. The frame weight difference is about 1.5 lbs between the frames.

I'm curious if Devin is planning on a Mammoth with 16.75 inch stays in the future, that would be a delight as well.

For me, not being a suspension tuning guru, I appreciate the simplicity of the Monarch plus. I'm sure the DBair would be sublime if I took the time to try and set it up properly.
    Seems pretty reasonable for a 6" bike. Could be a fun coil sprung rig and have a Mammoth for the xc rides...but that's just not in the budget. I also pedal a 31.5 lb bike right now as my xc rig so 29.5 seems reasonable, which also means that a mammoth in the same build would be ~27lbs.

My understanding is that the Mammoth is more of a xc oriented bike so the reduction in chain stays would take away from the climbing and intent of the frame. Just a hunch anyway, although the thought certainly crossed my mind.

Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The one I was riding (mikesee's) weighed in at 30 lbs 2 oz. with pedals.
    www.bicyclestudiogj.com
    Custom 29er builds and bike fit news
    Building bikes that I'd want to ride...since 2007

Trail Ninja
    Are you saying its chainstays are more like 16.5", being a full inch shorter than the SB95c (17.5"), when measured in the "less honest way"? The "less honest way" being a horizontal measurement from BB to axle, which doesn't factor in BB drop? Who knows if any of the measurements take sag (considering chain growth) into account.

mtbr member
    Colin,

In the original picture you posted, did you have a MTX-33 on the front?

Is that a medium frame?

This seems to fix most of the complaints I have with my medium 2010 Lunchbox frame (rear tire clearance, no piggy back shock, straight 1 1/8 head tube; I learned my lesson buying an older frame even at a really great discount).

The problem I have is that I am "higher" on my LB than on my Prime or 2010 WFO.

I have a 385 mm Reverb inserted down as far as it will go on my LB.

When measured from the floor, my LB seat height is two inches higher when slammed.

That two inches makes a big difference to me, I feel more above the bike than in the bike on corners and on steeper stuff.

Can you tell me how far your seat post can be inserted? And what is the height of the seat collar from the floor?

My LB's seat collar height is just under 33 inches and my other bikes are around 31 inches.

Does the new frame take the same size shock (7.875 x 2.0, 200x51)?

I hope they update the Lunchbox specs on their site...

I'd like to run a 6" dropper, but not if my lowest seat position will be higher since the overall seatpost length is longer and the length that can be inserted down the seat tube is limited.

I also need to verify how low my seat will be on a medium Enduro 29 with a dropper...I'll probably take one on the demo ride next month. I don't like bikes that require specific custom shocks with special mountings...but I can get a replacement CCDB air CS, which is the only shock I would want to run on that frame.

Thanks.

JB

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I'm wondering what size frame this is too. The cockpit looks a little cramped but I know pics don't tell the whole story.

I started watching some videos with Lenz bikes and they have really peaked my interest. Being a short guy, (5'-7") on a good hair day, finding a good fitting bike is tough.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Rock View Post

Have you considered the Behemoth? Same travel as the Mammoth, but a burlier frame for more AM style riding. I'd assume the frame weight would be between the Mammoth and the LB. Might be worth giving Devin a call/email and ask his advice.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm just glad more manufacturers are doing this and I hope to see more trailbikes and XC bikes with "normal" geometry soon...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Pick a wheel size...

The bike that started it all just got even better...

I know the bike in johndubs photos is a medium. Can't speak to Colin's.

On a good day I'm 6'1"... Coming off a 2012 large Lunchbox. Loved the bike immensely but with the revisions Devin had made with the new version, I had to get my grubby paws on one.

That said, after much debate and conversation with a few peeps in the know, I opted for a medium. I felt the large was a bit long in the TT, mostly in the chunk. Looking for the medium to be a bit quicker and more playful.

The Lunchbox just begs to get rowdy no matter what trail you're on.

This place needs an enema

A teeny little history lesson.

Looks good man--not that you can tell that much from that *ONE MEASLY PIC*!

Let's see if I can shine a little light on the subject:

Back in 2005 I asked Devin Lenz to create a 'long travel' 29"er. The 5" travel Behemoth is what came from that, and while forks, rims, and tires took a few years to 'catch up', it was (and is) still a very capable bike.

By late 2006 we'd realized the need for shorter chainstays and a titch more travel, so Devin debuted the LunchBox with 17.2" stays and 6" of squish. It was the longest travel production bike for years, and to this day there are few 29"ers with a rear end that approaches the short/sportiness of it.

I rode that original LunchBox *everywhere*. It is not a stretch to say that that bike taught me how to ride aggressive terrain with confidence.

And although it'd be better than 5 years until any other manufacturer came close to going this short out back, Devin and I kept wondering "What if?"

That is, what if we went even shorter?

The limiting factor was always the front derailleur--and until XX1 arrived we were unwilling to lose the friendly gears needed to crawl up the rockies. Once I had a bit of time on XX1 and saw the potential, I installed a writ-large bug in Devin's ear to go as short as he could go while still maintaining the geometry that makes this chassis so capable.

We put the first prototype under several pro racers--from enduro to DH to ultra-endurance. We took their feedback and added it to a growing pile. Then we unleashed our own non-professional selves on it. In testing we didn't limit it to 'one setup'--we used both coil forks and air, 6 different kinds (and tunes) of rear shock from the Monarch Plus to the Vivid Air, CCDB-A to DHX-A to the Vivid coil. We ran it with different combos of rim and tire, both tubed and tubeless, fiddled with the cockpit reach and rise, and used the "old" LunchBox leverage ratio and spring curve as mere springboards to suggest where we might start to seek perfection with the new one.

In short, we took our time and ticked every box until we were sure we had it right. And then Devin went into production.

It is not a stretch to say that this is *the* single most capable *and* fun bike I've ever ridden. It does everything I ask of it really, really well, from climbing steep chunkies to manualing at 20mph through Moab ledges, to dropping the occasional 10' huck that I've somehow become convinced is a good idea. I'm a long ways from able to be objective about it, obviously--because it's the bike I've always wanted and it's the bike I've been asking for.

We knew that going shorter out back was going to unleash a manualing machine on the descents--and it has. What is most surprising, still, on every ride, is how much better it climbs (both seated and standing) relative to, well, anything else we've tried. It is honestly the most adept climber I've ever swung a leg over.

Need to get back to work--will try to check in later to answer a few questions.

Cheers,

MC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    I'm wondering what size frame this is too. The cockpit looks a little cramped but I know pics don't tell the whole story.

I started watching some videos with Lenz bikes and they have really peaked my interest. Being a short guy, (5'-7") on a good hair day, finding a good fitting bike is tough.
    I'm 5'-8", my Lunchbox and PBJ are both supposed to be mediums, their seat collar height from the floor is identical.

They do make size small...maybe I should have gotten size small (my WFO is a small and my Prime Prototype is a medium - I think the TT on both these two seem pretty close).

Not being able to test ride before you buy makes purchasing the right size more difficult.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    [CENTER]
    Wow - that's nice!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Does it say PUNKASS on the seatstay?

Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Does it say PUNKASS on the seatstay?
    Yep. That's Devinspeak for 'short rear'!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Recently overheard in my living room: "Honey my next bike is going to be a hardtail. I'm not getting a new full suspension bike."

...whelp.

Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Recently overheard in my living room: "Honey my next bike is going to be a hardtail. I'm not getting a new full suspension bike."

...whelp.
    It takes a big man to admit he was wrong.

I recommend denial. Never happened...

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast