Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Bike shop gouged / scratched my carbon fork tube

A bike shop gouged my carbon fork tube, the part where the crown race slips over. There are some deep scratches I would say. I was wondering is the fork any good any more or does a few deep scratches basically make it not safe. The deep scratches are also all in one spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    A bike shop gouged my carbon fork tube, the part where the crown race slips over. There are some deep scratches I would say. I was wondering is the fork any good any more or does a few deep scratches basically make it not safe. The deep scratches are also all in one spot.
    PIcs please.

Have you contacted the shop yet to ask them about what happened?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    PIcs please.

Have you contacted the shop yet to ask them about what happened?
    I don't want to get into the details of it because I want to remain anonymous. And I don't want to mention the bike shop's name because I have yet to give them a chance to rectify the situation.

The scratches are about half an inch long, and there are three or four of them clustered in one area. The depth of the scratch...well there is some depth, certainly not a surface scratch. What is annoying is that this could potentially if installed caused serious injury I think.

mtbr member
    Deep scratches in carbon is never a good thing IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So you think it's a dangerous situation using the fork. So you think it's possible they gouged it when they put the crown race on? Meh, I hate situations like this. They seemed like really nice honest people. I think the person that did it just didn't want to get fired or something. Bah.

mtbr member
    I think they should be happy to replace it. I they don't, and it breaks, they're screwed.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I think they should be happy to replace it. I they don't, and it breaks, they're screwed.
    How would they be screwed? The OP would be screwed knowing he installed a damaged part and then used it.

mtbr member
    I would not ride the fork unless the manufacturer of the fork stated, in writing, that it was structurally sound. I wouldn't rely on any other opinions (especially arm chair internet engineers.)

Otherwise, the shop should be willing to replace the part.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

hispanic mechanic
    Alright, I gotta throw in the mechanic's opinion.
    First, just to help with your explanation, the part of the fork you're referring to is called the steerer tube.
    DustOff, just how deep are these scratches? Quantitatively, I mean. What's a deep gouge in one person's opinion is less than halfway through the top resin layer. I recently had a customer come into the shop wanting to order a crash replacement for a frame with a scratch that was less than .5mm in depth.
    If the scratches/gouges are into the weave, the fork is under no circumstances safe to ride!
    If this is a reputable shop, and use halfway decent tools, scratching the steerer would require some pretty serious carelessness. Accidents happen, but if the mechanic responsible isn't qualified to use a crown race setter, then he/she needs to be trained.
    Take it back into the shop, talk to the service manager/senior mechanic. Discuss your concerns, and give them a shot to handle this the right way.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

I <3 dirt
    ^^^ as a fellow mechanic I fully agree.

I'm not even sure how you'd pull that off with a crown race setter unless he was a monkey and tried using a hammer/screw driver and has bad aim?
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    ^^^ as a fellow mechanic I fully agree.

I'm not even sure how you'd pull that off with a crown race setter unless he was a monkey and tried using a hammer/screw driver and has bad aim?
    X3... but posting on here without at least a picture isn't going to get ya much. and even photos aren't the best as there is no depth of field so it's difficult to tell if there is any real damage. I was always afraid of carbon but got a wicked deal on the Easton Monkey lite a few yrs back. I have smashed, crashed literally gone off a cliff with them and have no issues. I do regularly pull them and inspect especially around the stem clamp and out at and under the grips. You'll be surprised how much carbon can take.
    Like stated above the weave is the tell tale item, if you can see the carbon hairs then don't use it. there is a layer of resin above everything that is just protection and decoration. scratches in that aren't any issue (other than it just shouldn't have happened)

talk with the shop first.. post a pic here if you are worried that they might try to screw you once they have given you their response
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Living the thug life.
    Are you positive they did it and not you by accident through riding or transport? We had a customer call us ranting about a huge scratch down his drive side chainstay. A scratch we couldn't conceive how was possible in the shop. He wouldn't bring it in, maybe his wife finally admitted to causing it. She had picked up the bike and hard a hard time getting I out the door and them loading it in the trunk of their car. I would have offered to help, but 10 minutes had gone by before I realized that she was still trying to get it in the car; almost done,
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This is going to be some good Interwebbing.....

AZ
    banned
    I blame it on monkeys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I know they did it because I haven't touched the bike since it was in the shop. It could not have been scratched during transport. The surface area wasn't exposed during transport from the bike shop back to my house, because they slid the fork back through the head tube. Where the scratches were are near the head tube area when the fork is installed.

The steerer tube wall thickness is 2mm thick. It's a scratch and there is some depth to it. Maybe 0.3mm to 0.4mm thickness max I would estimate just by putting my fingernail in it.

Main thing I want to know is if something like this poses an issue if installed. I don't want to go back there, and they say it's fine, then I'm riding down hill and the fork becomes an issue. That's really my only problem.

But if it's really fine as it is then I don't care and no harm no foul I guess you could say.

AZ
    banned
    I know they did it because I haven't touched the bike since it was in the shop. It could not have been scratched during transport. The surface area wasn't exposed during transport from the bike shop back to my house, because they slid the fork back through the head tube. Where the scratches were are near the head tube area when the fork is installed.

The steerer tube wall thickness is 2mm thick. It's a scratch and there is some depth to it. Maybe 0.3mm to 0.4mm thickness max I would estimate just by putting my fingernail in it.

Main thing I want to know is if something like this poses an issue if installed. I don't want to go back there, and they say it's fine, then I'm riding down hill and the fork becomes an issue. That's really my only problem.

But if it's really fine as it is then I don't care and no harm no foul I guess you could say.

It is an issue if the fiber threads have been cut or sliced. Pics would be helpful, use macro if possible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    As mentioned before, there is no answer to the safety question without a photo. However, I disagree with no harm no foul. Did the shop tell you they had damaged it, or did you find out on your own? When damaging a customers bike, it is the shops responsibility to replace the part. Personally, I would not mess around with a damaged steer tube. I would take it to a different shop, and have them look at it. Don't tell them how it was damaged, and get a 2nd opinion.

Sweep the leg!
    I'm calling BS on this. WTF were you doing taking the assembly apart after they did the work? I think you're fishing for opinions pointing the finger at this "unnamed shop" so you can use the thread to bully them. I think you F'd it up on your own and you're not man enough to accept the result of your own actions.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    I'm calling BS on this. WTF were you doing taking the assembly apart after they did the work? I think you're fishing for opinions pointing the finger at this "unnamed shop" so you can use the thread to bully them. I think you F'd it up on your own and you're not man enough to accept the result of your own actions.
    Do you know this guy? Do you work at the, "Unnamed shop"? That's a pretty nasty accusation if not.

NedwannaB

Ride it, it's fine!

There it's fixed! You seem intellegent enough about things, somewhat (fork tube/steer tube,tomatoes/toemattos), yet here you are trying to get approval over the virtual interweb for something with extreme reprocussions if you get the wrong diagnosis. Go take it to another shop, or 2, "anonymously" saying you're thinking about buying it (or whatever) and are concerned about scratches. Speak to someone with experience there to give an opinion. Then make your decision on it.
    Last edited by JMac47; 01-07-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    There it's fixed! You seem intellegent enough about things, somewhat (fork tube/steer tube,tomatoes/toemattos), yet here you are trying to get approval over the virtual interweb for something with extreme reprocussions if you get the wrong diagnosis. Go take it to another shop, or 2, "anonymously" saying you're thinking about buying it (or whatever) and are concerned about scratches. Speak to someone with experience there to give an opinion. Then make your decision on it.
    best answer...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    Why would you think that? There really isn't many good bike shops near me at all, so it is not easy to get a 2nd opinion without driiving 30 miles. I've taken pics and HD video of the damage. I just want to ride. I've been thinking about just buying another fork and forgetting about it. But that's not right, I shouldn't have to pay for someone elses mistakes.

mtbr member

Why?

Looking over this thread, you stated early on they are an honest shop, yet you take apart the work the did to check it? You must not have too much faith in them.

So, why did you disassemble the front end?

Are you sure you didn't scratch it when taking it apart? Pulled the fork out on an angle? Not accusing, but just asking.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I'm not trying to get approval, just opinions. So your saying there isn't anyone on mtbr with enough reputation and experience to give an opinion. I know it's hard without a pic. But I will be posting a few shortly.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I can't figure out how it's possible to scratch it using the correct tool ? I know it's been said already but pics or ....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast