Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 112
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14

    Bike shop gouged / scratched my carbon fork tube

    A bike shop gouged my carbon fork tube, the part where the crown race slips over. There are some deep scratches I would say. I was wondering is the fork any good any more or does a few deep scratches basically make it not safe. The deep scratches are also all in one spot.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,580
    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    A bike shop gouged my carbon fork tube, the part where the crown race slips over. There are some deep scratches I would say. I was wondering is the fork any good any more or does a few deep scratches basically make it not safe. The deep scratches are also all in one spot.
    PIcs please.

    Have you contacted the shop yet to ask them about what happened?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    PIcs please.

    Have you contacted the shop yet to ask them about what happened?
    I don't want to get into the details of it because I want to remain anonymous. And I don't want to mention the bike shop's name because I have yet to give them a chance to rectify the situation.

    The scratches are about half an inch long, and there are three or four of them clustered in one area. The depth of the scratch...well there is some depth, certainly not a surface scratch. What is annoying is that this could potentially if installed caused serious injury I think.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mud Gecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    88
    Deep scratches in carbon is never a good thing IMO.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14
    So you think it's a dangerous situation using the fork. So you think it's possible they gouged it when they put the crown race on? Meh, I hate situations like this. They seemed like really nice honest people. I think the person that did it just didn't want to get fired or something. Bah.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,283
    I think they should be happy to replace it. I they don't, and it breaks, they're screwed.

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: Spinning Lizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I think they should be happy to replace it. I they don't, and it breaks, they're screwed.
    How would they be screwed? The OP would be screwed knowing he installed a damaged part and then used it.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    A bike shop gouged my carbon fork tube, the part where the crown race slips over. There are some deep scratches I would say. I was wondering is the fork any good any more or does a few deep scratches basically make it not safe. The deep scratches are also all in one spot.
    I would not ride the fork unless the manufacturer of the fork stated, in writing, that it was structurally sound. I wouldn't rely on any other opinions (especially arm chair internet engineers.)

    Otherwise, the shop should be willing to replace the part.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

  9. #9
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,466
    Alright, I gotta throw in the mechanic's opinion.
    First, just to help with your explanation, the part of the fork you're referring to is called the steerer tube.
    DustOff, just how deep are these scratches? Quantitatively, I mean. What's a deep gouge in one person's opinion is less than halfway through the top resin layer. I recently had a customer come into the shop wanting to order a crash replacement for a frame with a scratch that was less than .5mm in depth.
    If the scratches/gouges are into the weave, the fork is under no circumstances safe to ride!
    If this is a reputable shop, and use halfway decent tools, scratching the steerer would require some pretty serious carelessness. Accidents happen, but if the mechanic responsible isn't qualified to use a crown race setter, then he/she needs to be trained.
    Take it back into the shop, talk to the service manager/senior mechanic. Discuss your concerns, and give them a shot to handle this the right way.

    Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

    dongerparty.com

  10. #10
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,422
    ^^^ as a fellow mechanic I fully agree.


    I'm not even sure how you'd pull that off with a crown race setter unless he was a monkey and tried using a hammer/screw driver and has bad aim?

  11. #11
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    ^^^ as a fellow mechanic I fully agree.


    I'm not even sure how you'd pull that off with a crown race setter unless he was a monkey and tried using a hammer/screw driver and has bad aim?
    X3... but posting on here without at least a picture isn't going to get ya much. and even photos aren't the best as there is no depth of field so it's difficult to tell if there is any real damage. I was always afraid of carbon but got a wicked deal on the Easton Monkey lite a few yrs back. I have smashed, crashed literally gone off a cliff with them and have no issues. I do regularly pull them and inspect especially around the stem clamp and out at and under the grips. You'll be surprised how much carbon can take.
    Like stated above the weave is the tell tale item, if you can see the carbon hairs then don't use it. there is a layer of resin above everything that is just protection and decoration. scratches in that aren't any issue (other than it just shouldn't have happened)

    talk with the shop first.. post a pic here if you are worried that they might try to screw you once they have given you their response
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  12. #12
    Living the thug life.
    Reputation: Logantri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    793
    Are you positive they did it and not you by accident through riding or transport? We had a customer call us ranting about a huge scratch down his drive side chainstay. A scratch we couldn't conceive how was possible in the shop. He wouldn't bring it in, maybe his wife finally admitted to causing it. She had picked up the bike and hard a hard time getting I out the door and them loading it in the trunk of their car. I would have offered to help, but 10 minutes had gone by before I realized that she was still trying to get it in the car; almost done,
    I proudly ride for these guys.

    My blog.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,377
    This is going to be some good Interwebbing.....

  14. #14
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    I blame it on monkeys.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14
    I know they did it because I haven't touched the bike since it was in the shop. It could not have been scratched during transport. The surface area wasn't exposed during transport from the bike shop back to my house, because they slid the fork back through the head tube. Where the scratches were are near the head tube area when the fork is installed.

    The steerer tube wall thickness is 2mm thick. It's a scratch and there is some depth to it. Maybe 0.3mm to 0.4mm thickness max I would estimate just by putting my fingernail in it.

    Main thing I want to know is if something like this poses an issue if installed. I don't want to go back there, and they say it's fine, then I'm riding down hill and the fork becomes an issue. That's really my only problem.

    But if it's really fine as it is then I don't care and no harm no foul I guess you could say.

  16. #16
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    I know they did it because I haven't touched the bike since it was in the shop. It could not have been scratched during transport. The surface area wasn't exposed during transport from the bike shop back to my house, because they slid the fork back through the head tube. Where the scratches were are near the head tube area when the fork is installed.

    The steerer tube wall thickness is 2mm thick. It's a scratch and there is some depth to it. Maybe 0.3mm to 0.4mm thickness max I would estimate just by putting my fingernail in it.

    Main thing I want to know is if something like this poses an issue if installed. I don't want to go back there, and they say it's fine, then I'm riding down hill and the fork becomes an issue. That's really my only problem.

    But if it's really fine as it is then I don't care and no harm no foul I guess you could say.



    It is an issue if the fiber threads have been cut or sliced. Pics would be helpful, use macro if possible.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    465
    As mentioned before, there is no answer to the safety question without a photo. However, I disagree with no harm no foul. Did the shop tell you they had damaged it, or did you find out on your own? When damaging a customers bike, it is the shops responsibility to replace the part. Personally, I would not mess around with a damaged steer tube. I would take it to a different shop, and have them look at it. Don't tell them how it was damaged, and get a 2nd opinion.

  18. #18
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,805
    I'm calling BS on this. WTF were you doing taking the assembly apart after they did the work? I think you're fishing for opinions pointing the finger at this "unnamed shop" so you can use the thread to bully them. I think you F'd it up on your own and you're not man enough to accept the result of your own actions.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    I'm calling BS on this. WTF were you doing taking the assembly apart after they did the work? I think you're fishing for opinions pointing the finger at this "unnamed shop" so you can use the thread to bully them. I think you F'd it up on your own and you're not man enough to accept the result of your own actions.
    Do you know this guy? Do you work at the, "Unnamed shop"? That's a pretty nasty accusation if not.

  20. #20
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10,004

    Ride it, it's fine!

    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    I know they did it because I haven't touched the bike since it was in the shop. It could not have been scratched during transport. The surface area wasn't exposed during transport from the bike shop back to my house, because they slid the fork back through the head tube. Where the scratches were are near the head tube area when the fork is installed.

    The steerer tube wall thickness is 2mm thick. It's a scratch and there is some depth to it. Maybe 0.3mm to 0.4mm thickness max I would estimate just by putting my fingernail in it.

    Main thing I want to know is if something like this poses an issue if installed. I don't want to go back there, and they say it's fine, then I'm riding down hill and the fork becomes an issue. That's really my only problem.

    But if it's really fine as it is then I don't care and no harm no foul I guess you could say.
    There it's fixed! You seem intellegent enough about things, somewhat (fork tube/steer tube,tomatoes/toemattos), yet here you are trying to get approval over the virtual interweb for something with extreme reprocussions if you get the wrong diagnosis. Go take it to another shop, or 2, "anonymously" saying you're thinking about buying it (or whatever) and are concerned about scratches. Speak to someone with experience there to give an opinion. Then make your decision on it.
    Last edited by JMac47; 01-07-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  21. #21
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    There it's fixed! You seem intellegent enough about things, somewhat (fork tube/steer tube,tomatoes/toemattos), yet here you are trying to get approval over the virtual interweb for something with extreme reprocussions if you get the wrong diagnosis. Go take it to another shop, or 2, "anonymously" saying you're thinking about buying it (or whatever) and are concerned about scratches. Speak to someone with experience there to give an opinion. Then make your decision on it.
    best answer...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    I'm calling BS on this. WTF were you doing taking the assembly apart after they did the work? I think you're fishing for opinions pointing the finger at this "unnamed shop" so you can use the thread to bully them. I think you F'd it up on your own and you're not man enough to accept the result of your own actions.
    Why would you think that? There really isn't many good bike shops near me at all, so it is not easy to get a 2nd opinion without driiving 30 miles. I've taken pics and HD video of the damage. I just want to ride. I've been thinking about just buying another fork and forgetting about it. But that's not right, I shouldn't have to pay for someone elses mistakes.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ottoreni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,044

    Why?

    Looking over this thread, you stated early on they are an honest shop, yet you take apart the work the did to check it? You must not have too much faith in them.

    So, why did you disassemble the front end?

    Are you sure you didn't scratch it when taking it apart? Pulled the fork out on an angle? Not accusing, but just asking.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    There it's fixed! You seem intellegent enough about things, somewhat (fork tube/steer tube,tomatoes/toemattos), yet here you are trying to get approval over the virtual interweb for something with extreme reprocussions if you get the wrong diagnosis. Go take it to another shop, or 2, "anonymously" saying you're thinking about buying it (or whatever) and are concerned about scratches. Speak to someone with experience there to give an opinion. Then make your decision on it.
    I'm not trying to get approval, just opinions. So your saying there isn't anyone on mtbr with enough reputation and experience to give an opinion. I know it's hard without a pic. But I will be posting a few shortly.

  25. #25
    ride more
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,623
    I can't figure out how it's possible to scratch it using the correct tool ? I know it's been said already but pics or ....

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    Looking over this thread, you stated early on they are an honest shop, yet you take apart the work the did to check it? You must not have too much faith in them.

    So, why did you disassemble the front end?

    Are you sure you didn't scratch it when taking it apart? Pulled the fork out on an angle? Not accusing, but just asking.
    I'm positive. Realize that I still needed the headset installed, and I was going to take it back to the same shop with the fork out since they would need to remove the old headset. There really wasn't much disassembling since it was just the stem that was holding the fork up, basically two allen nuts. The star nut hadn't been installed yet.

  27. #27
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    I'm positive. Realize that I still needed the headset installed, and I was going to take it back to the same shop with the fork out since they would need to remove the old headset. There really wasn't much disassembling since it was just the stem that was holding the fork up, basically two allen nuts. The star nut hadn't been installed yet.
    this story gets stranger by the second.
    you had them install a fork, or at least a crown race (which goes with the headset), then picked the bike up... then pulled the fork and plan on taking it back there to have them install a different headset?
    what are you going to get from anonymous internet jockeys that don't even have the opportunity to look at pictures of the thing that is going to help you in this situation?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  28. #28
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    .....I know it's hard without a pic. .......

    It's IMPOSSIBLE without a photo. Noone can tell if something looks safe to use without seeing it.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,710
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    It's IMPOSSIBLE without a photo. Noone can tell if something looks safe to use without seeing it.
    It's not impossible. You're just not trying hard enough. Here, let me try............................I see.......I see....I see the scratches are superficial and is just in the clear coat. I'm pretty sure it's safe to ride.
    There, problem solved. Was it that hard?

  30. #30
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,603
    Your ball is clearly more magical than mine....

  31. #31
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,175

    HD Video?!?

    If it's not IMAX 3d, you are wasting your time filming any lightly scratched, inanimate, stationary object. That kind of subject demands much more than mere HD video, sheesh.

    -Walt

    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    Why would you think that? There really isn't many good bike shops near me at all, so it is not easy to get a 2nd opinion without driiving 30 miles. I've taken pics and HD video of the damage. I just want to ride. I've been thinking about just buying another fork and forgetting about it. But that's not right, I shouldn't have to pay for someone elses mistakes.

  32. #32
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    10,004

    You're a dweeb!

    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    I'm not trying to get approval, just opinions. So your saying there isn't anyone on mtbr with enough reputation and experience to give an opinion. I know it's hard without a pic. But I will be posting a few shortly.
    Your FIRST post should have had the pix! It's amazing how we get sucked into these threads before we realize where it's going!

    Get this much at least, "we" aren't going to make "your" problem go away! Get some kahonies and take care of the problem yourself.....
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    232
    as a dupont certified carbon tech i say you need to subject it to a battery of tests that i will outline here first remove fork second lay fork on a flat piece of glass then using ur toungue gently run said tongue over scratch.what we r looking for is a taste between gummy bear and cheesestake.if u dont get that flavor u need to google "rabbit with a pancake on its head" then discard fork and start over

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Your FIRST post should have had the pix! It's amazing how we get sucked into these threads before we realize where it's going!

    Get this much at least, "we" aren't going to make "your" problem go away! Get some kahonies and take care of the problem yourself.....
    I know, just wanted some opinions, maybe some technical knowledge on the subject, but apparently there are no experts here.

    I didn't want to make a big deal out of nothing. The guys at the shop said all carbon forks have deep scratches on some spots. Something about the carbon sewing process.

    But if it breaks or starts cracking I'll just go back and shoot them all.

  35. #35
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    I'm calling BS on this. WTF were you doing taking the assembly apart after they did the work? I think you're fishing for opinions pointing the finger at this "unnamed shop" so you can use the thread to bully them. I think you F'd it up on your own and you're not man enough to accept the result of your own actions.
    Maybe he took it in to have a crown race installed.
    No moss...

  36. #36
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    I know, just wanted some opinions, maybe some technical knowledge on the subject, but apparently there are no experts here.

    I didn't want to make a big deal out of nothing. The guys at the shop said all carbon forks have deep scratches on some spots. Something about the carbon sewing process.

    But if it breaks or starts cracking I'll just go back and shoot them all.




    Before you go all Oprah Winfrey on us please put up some pics.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14
    Why would I post pics considering you guys are just a bunch of trolls laughing at my predicamints?

  38. #38
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    Why would I post pics considering you guys are just a bunch of trolls laughing at my predicamints?
    Dude put up some pics and most of this so called trolling goes away, your creating your own drama. Pic or GTFO.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14
    Wait, so you need pics...I told you half inch long, about 0.3mm deep, what the hell dude. the steerer tube wall is about 2mm thick. If anyone here was an expert they would already of been able to tell me if I should worry about it given those numbers? Pics are not needed, trust me. Look at a ruler, and estimate what 0.3mm. Then you tell me from your vast NASA carbon engineering knowledge if there will be an issue.

  40. #40
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    Why would I post pics considering you guys are just a bunch of trolls laughing at my predicamints?
    You're getting trolled because you're asking people to diagnose a situation that requires at least visual and probably hands on inspection to diagnose, yet all you're giving us is subjective, admittedly uneducated(on the topic at hand) observations.

    Example:

    "Maybe 0.3mm to 0.4mm thickness max I would estimate just by putting my fingernail in it. "

    Really? You're the one trolling. Post pics if you want advice. Keep posting crap like that if you want to keep getting trolled in return.

  41. #41
    is buachail foighneach me
    Reputation: sean salach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    Wait, so you need pics...I told you half inch long, about 0.3mm deep, what the hell dude. the steerer tube wall is about 2mm thick. If anyone here was an expert they would already of been able to tell me if I should worry about it given those numbers? Pics are not needed, trust me. Look at a ruler, and estimate what 0.3mm. Then you tell me from your vast NASA carbon engineering knowledge if there will be an issue.
    No they wouldn't!! But you wouldn't know that, because you're not an expert on the issue, are you? You estimated 0.3mm off of your fingernail.

  42. #42
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    Wait, so you need pics...I told you half inch long, about 0.3mm deep, what the hell dude. the steerer tube wall is about 2mm thick. If anyone here was an expert they would already of been able to tell me if I should worry about it given those numbers? Pics are not needed, trust me. Look at a ruler, and estimate what 0.3mm. Then you tell me from your vast NASA carbon engineering knowledge if there will be an issue.



    Is that in pink bike mm's? Again, pics are needed.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by wyatt79m View Post
    I can't figure out how it's possible to scratch it using the correct tool ? I know it's been said already but pics or ....
    Well, I can tell you they are not the brightest bunch in this shop. But I suppose I am even less bright for going there in the first place. I was really more lazy and eager to just get on the road unfortunately.

    But all in all they are very nice people it would seem and I am not going to mention their business name, etc. because that wouldn't be right. On the bright side I did find a better bike shop now however and will be doing my business there from now on.

  44. #44
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    You're getting trolled because you're asking people to diagnose a situation that requires at least visual and probably hands on inspection to diagnose, yet all you're giving us is subjective, admittedly uneducated(on the topic at hand) observations.

    Example:

    "Maybe 0.3mm to 0.4mm thickness max I would estimate just by putting my fingernail in it. "

    Really? You're the one trolling. Post pics if you want advice. Keep posting crap like that if you want to keep getting trolled in return.
    ya.. Dustoff, you need to post pic's "estimated" depths even the manufacture isn't going to give you an answer, and you haven't even mentioned what brand it is, and they all have diff clear coat thickness and such.. .. and now I'm wondering why you are soo hesitant?
    If you think you can post a question and only supply 1/2 the info and not get at least some joking around and crude remarks while everyone waits for the proper info,.. well you need to get a bit tougher skin before posting on the web, specially places like this!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  45. #45
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    This has been a "kinder, gentler" response, I think almost everyone in the thread has been very patient in responding with requests for pics before proceeding in the usual nailing to the cross. My two cents.

  46. #46
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    This has been a "kinder, gentler" response, I think almost everyone in the thread has been very patient in responding with requests for pics before proceeding in the usual nailing to the cross. My two cents.
    agreed!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    14
    Right, and if this were a forum with face to face interaction all these wussy remarks from the trolls would seize. Because MTBR is a place for sissy wuss boys to hide and play. I'm outta here, and good writtens idiots.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    Right, and if this were a forum with face to face interaction all these wussy remarks from the trolls would seize. Because MTBR is a place for sissy wuss boys to hide and play. I'm outta here, and good writtens idiots.
    It's good riddance, not writtens. You are the only idiot in this thread.

    Please, do us all a favor, logout and forget this forum exists.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BacDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    612
    First you should describe the work the shop did, crown race install?

    You don't sound very experienced with bicycles, as installing a carbon fork requires a compression plug. Star nuts on a carbon fork are not a good idea. If you are not knowledgeable on compatibility you should let the LBS do the complete job then judge the result.

    From your limited description it sounds like you took it to the LBS to do part of the job and tried to finish it yourself, probably made some mistakes and trying to pass the buck. This happens - just sayin...

  50. #50
    Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Reputation: thomllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,232
    Quote Originally Posted by DustOff View Post
    Right, and if this were a forum with face to face interaction all these wussy remarks from the trolls would seize. Because MTBR is a place for sissy wuss boys to hide and play. I'm outta here, and good writtens idiots.
    if it were face to face we'd be able to see the fork.. and if you just walked in to the shop/store/what ever and gave 1/2 the info.. well they's be telling you to bring it in and let them see it. and if you kept acting as if they were nuts for needing to see it, and not giving you an answer from your "estimated" measurements... well they'd at the very least ask you to leave if not out right laugh you out of the store!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Shimano XT spoke scratched/gouged - safe to ride?
    By parkp81 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 04:37 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 02:34 PM
  3. scratched my fork tube... bummer
    By mrapdaca in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 08:49 AM
  4. Scratched Carbon Handler bar Scratched
    By JokerBoy in forum Ibis
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 08:38 AM
  5. Scratched Steering Tube?
    By GregC in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 07:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •