Hud
    Singletrack minded

Biggest volume 29er tyre?

I'm sure it's been covered before, but there is more becoming available all the time.
    I did a search, but no luck.
    Running a rigid fork, for maximum cush, I'm considering a Weirwolf LT 2.55, Rampage 2.3 and a Racing Ralph 2.4. I'll probably get RR's as I don't need much tread where I ride.
    Anything else I should consider?
    I'm running velocity Blunts, 28mm wide.

mtbr member

Trust Me on This One!

Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    I'm sure it's been covered before, but there is more becoming available all the time.
    Running a rigid fork, for maximum cush, I'm considering a Weirwolf LT 2.55, Rampage 2.3 and a Racing Ralph 2.4. I'll probably get RR's as I don't need much tread where I ride.
    I am running a Rigid One9 (Niner) and I am 6'5"/210lbs. I am running a WW 2.55 on F and Kenda Nevegal 2.2 on R. I am totally sold! The best set up yet; no doubt about it.

Enjoy, PF

Underskilled
    I am running nevegal front and rear and they work great

Reviewer/Tester
    Rampage I think. The Rampage on the front of a rigid forked bike feels sweet.

A wide rim puffs it up even more.

Nice grippy side knobs for those high speed sketchy cornering situations...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

In FTF We Trust
    As far as actual volume it looks like the Racing Ralphs win, with the WWLTs a close second. I ran a pair of WWLTs on my rigid single speed all last year and have nothing but good to say about them; that said a set of RR 2.4s went on the new single speed and look (and feel to the touch) very promising. I haven't ridden them yet but based on Schwalbe's general reputation I have high hopes.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Always Learning
    The 2.4 Racing Ralph is a large volume tire, no doubt about it. On the Blunt after sitting mounted for a week, she measures out at:

57mm casing width
    59mm tread width

RR's

Depends on where you want the volume to come from in a tire. The tread width is actually 1mm wider on my Nevegal, but the casing is much narrower with that tire. Shiggy has his special volume index:

A relative number to compare air volume. Calculated by multiplying casing width by casing height (in mm) and moving the decimal point two places to the left. Because this is an outside measurement it is affected by thick casings and tread base rubber (i.e. if two tires have an index of 25.0 the actual volume of the tire with the thicker casing/base rubber is lower than the thinner casing/rubber tire). This is the third version of the index.

I don't think he has measured a Racing Ralph and a WTB Weirwolf yet to see how they stack up to the Rampage and Nevegal. The good news is that these are all large volume tires. If you don't need such aggressive tread where you live and ride, the RR and the Weirwolf sound ideal.

BB

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Thanks for the replys. I might get a pair of RR 2.4s and maybe a Rampage to throw on the front sometimes.
    I imagine on rougher trails a rigid fork will bounce around more so it'd be helpful to have a beefy tyre that hooks up well.
    Rainman, are Rampages easy to get in Australia?

Reviewer/Tester
    Thanks for the replys. I might get a pair of RR 2.4s and maybe a Rampage to throw on the front sometimes.
    I imagine on rougher trails a rigid fork will bounce around more so it'd be helpful to have a beefy tyre that hooks up well.
    Rainman, are Rampages easy to get in Australia?

I bring mine in from the USA, but you can get them here in Oz I believe.

Usually, I get a couple thrown into the box when I order other stuff from the USA, as they are cheaper to buy there.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hud, are you getting the NIner fork with the Sir9? You'll be surprised by how nice it rides, for a rigid fork.

At the moment I'm running a Nevegal up front with a Exiwolf on the back, with the pressures right, it handles most of the local stuff up in Brisbane fine. A few locals have blunts, and they make the tyres appear a size larger, compared to my Sun DS2 rim.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Yeah I'm getting the Niner rigid. I've been waiting for about two months for the frame, it still hasn't arrived yet. Apparently the last batch of rigids were faulty so I have to wait until mid January for that. It's a bit frustrating, maybe the fork will get here before the frame!!
    Also after much agonising over the colour, I went for kermit green to find they were no longer available, so I changed to Tang.

is buachail foighneach me
    weirwolf has a bigger casing width than the rampage, but the rampages knobs are wider. the exiwolf is a really wide/durable tire, but heavy, and in my experience, only really suited to the rear of the bike in most conditions.

is buachail foighneach me
    actually, this thread: pugs - winter bikes - other oddities, so they belong [poll] reminds me that surly endomorphs and those sand tires are, by actual measurment, the largest volume 29" tires. for bicycle.