mtbr member

... and if we just ... Big Shoutout to everyone

who helped me find my new bike.

Several months ago I hopped on your forum and asked you guys to help me find a 29er that fit my roadie needs. Many good suggestions were tossed around and the Scott P2 stuck to the wall. It looked perfect on the Scott website and I set out to find a dealer which proved a bit of a challenge even here in Berkeley California since we have such an embarassment of riches in terms of bike shops.

After much gnashing of teeth, I did find a dealer (Bay Area Bikes) and they had a reasonable policy: $100 down and they'd order it. If I didn't like it once I took it for a spin, I'd get my money back as money not store credit. I plunks my money down in October and 2 months go by before they call me to let me know that it's on back order till 2009!

OK so that's not so great but I found a bike that I LOVE LOVE LOVE and, well, I probably won't have it all paid for until 2009 either but Mikes Bikes does let me take it out for some quality time until I can take it home. I can make payments of any denomination on a steady, or not, basis. They said that if they didn't see me for 3 months they'd call just to sort of make sure that I hadn't forgotten about it. As if that was possible.

And who knew they made racks for full sussys?

Wellllll, actually, oldmanmountain does and Mikes bikes knew that too!

So now all I need to do is win the lottery so I can pay off my new SUPERCALIBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all so much for all your suggestions. The Scott was a great idea and I was totally set on it until it became clear that it simply wasn't possible until 2009. But that's OK because Mikes wouldn't have had this little 29er (I'm not quite 5.4) at such an attractive price until the new bikes came out and they had this thing (this thing? My New Love!) banging around thier wherehouse and someone remembered this crazy commuter who came in every month asking for a little 29er.

I've been going into all my LBSs every few weeks for many many months asking for a 29er, any 29er, in my size. At one point I was assured me that such big tires posed handling problems for smaller riders. Like somehow roadbikes don't come with similar sized tires for smaller riders! If it wasn't for your forum and all the posts I've read about precisely this topic (29ers for little riders), I might've believed those "knowledgable" sales people and not found the bliss I'm currently lost in (can you tell I just got back from a bike visit?).

But they are really good guys at Mikes and I now part-own the coolest bike ever. Not that you all don't have the coolest bikes ever, too! But thank you every one who wrote a review of this bike because that was what made me run back to the shop, slap down a wad of plastic, and claim it as MINE MINE MINE.

I can't believe I'm going to pay as much for this bicycle as I paid for a BMW R90s
    ($2000), but it's sooo worth it. Even with all that beautiful suspension fully locked out, it's a very easy bike to ride on all this gnarly pavement. And by Sunday, after nearly 100 miles and my bones are yelling at me, I can dial it all in again and ride a very comfy, very trick, TURNS ON A DIME! BEAUUUUtiful bike. I was hopping it around the store!

Anyone know a good horse I can bet on?

I just had to share with y'all
    Commutergrl

anyone else smell that?
    congrats! and take some dirty pics. too many clean bikes 'round here.

banned
    Nov 2007
    LET IT ROLL,FISHER RULE

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    to quote cosmo kramer: "she's a little package full of energy!"

good luck with the new bike. it's good to find a competent LBS. stick with them.
    the time is right for violent revolution