mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Big boy need help!! Im ready to upgrade

ive been riding for a few years semi-agressively. i had $100 craigslist Giant boulder for the past 3 years and never had one problem. i have recently upgraded to a 2013 specialized rockhopper 29er. XL fame. I'm 6'2 240 pounds. i mainly ride fullerton loop, turnbull canyon, weir canyon loop in California. 3 of out the last 4 times out i have shattered,broke, and bent the crap out of my chain. i have repaired it once and replaced it twice with a sram ($45,don't remember part number) i do not shift under a load. Bike shop checked alignment and was "good"??!?!!
    im getting fursterated and ready to replace everything.
    is my weight a factor?

ANY THOUGHTS OR RECOMMENDATIONS????

ALSO, WHAT UPGRADES WHOULD YOU GUYS DO FIRST???
    THE BIKE IS COMPLETELY STOCK, EXCEPT WTB SEAT.

THANKS FOR ANY COMMENTS OR THOUGHTS. THANKS

Tigers love pepper...
    I'm usually anywhere between 230 and 250. Closer to 250 right now. While I won't say your weight isn't a factor....... I have only snapped 1 chain in 4 years and it was when I shifted under load and tried to grunt up a short climb. I have destroyed 2 freehubs going up steep climbs as well.

To me I think it's something else wrong. Weight may be a factor but I don't think it's the root cause.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    KMC non SL 10 speed Ti or Shimano HG-X (prob KMC made) have had the better test results.
    You would benefit from an upgrade fork with air to allow sag adjustment for your weight. Dual air Reba 2010-12 or Manitou Tower Pro.
    Here's a guy with your bike who also went to a light front wheel and tire, maybe a FlowEX for you.

"So a fork is suppose to go up and down?
    HOLY COW! I've been rather upset after buying my 2k12 spec rockhopper comp 29er. It has not been performing and felt like it was trying to kill me on these hard Phoenix trails. I went to sell it and decided at the last minute to just try and upgrade it. Went with the Easton EA 90 XC 29 UST Rim's w/ Marzocchi Corsa SL LR 100MM fork.

The original Suntour XCR fork should be taken out back and shot. I ran all over some XC and single track today. Easy stuff where I would normally get off the bike, changed to me flying down it without brakes. I felt like the bike drove me before, never holding a line or taking a bump. Today, I picked my lines, made jumps, flew over rock gardens, and generally had a blast. It was wonderful to be able to pick up the front end and maneuver."

"