Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KBuc View Post
    I wonder if a longer stem would help?
    Wouldn't that put me even more over my handlebars?

going downhill silly fast
    It would move the bars an inch or so further out. So it would be a true 'feel' decision. Perhaps your LBS has a 110 or so stem they could swap out as a tester. At least long enough to spin in the parking lot.

I was considering this because I was having the very same issue..if on a much smaller scale lol

My crampness seems to have been resolved by moving the seat an inch+ or so "too high". But it sounds like your seat position already works for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ddublu View Post
    Thanks. I should have posted a picture after the changes I made to my bike. My seat is pretty high up on this bike. While I know my torso is long I don't think of my legs as short. I read that inseam measurement wasn't the same as pants size. Didn't realize that. I do feel like I am closer to the handlebars and over them more than I'd like to be. Yesterday, I rotated my handlebars forward but it felt like a chopper would feel. Didn't feel like I had as much control in that position. As far as standing over the top tube, I've got some room there if I'm not too forward. I don't think I'm going to be happy until I have them get one in for me to try. Sucks I can't just ride another brand with similar geometry to know.

I really appreciate everyone's insight. Happy thanksgiving.
    As I stated earlier, my comments about your legs being short for your height of 6'2" were based on the measurements your posted

For reference, I'm 6 '2.5" and these are my measurements

Now, I'm aware that I have relatively long legs and a shorter upper body for my height, so my measurements are certainly not the norm. You can see the huge (4.7 inches) difference in the recommended stand over heights between me and you. This is based totally on the inseam measurement you entered into the calculator, so either you didn't measure correctly, or you have short legs. When you take this measurement, you need to make sure you use a large level and have the top rest firmly against your crotch, make sure the level is "level", and measure from the floor to the top of the level. This is all stated in the directions. Perhaps you measured wrong?? I take anthropometric measurements for a living, so I know my measurements are accurate. My inseam is 36" measured this way.

If your inseam measurement is wrong (i.e., 2" shorter than it really is), I would say that you would fit better on the XL frame for sure

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Just based on the picture you posted the bike looks too small. Actually no, too short front to back.
    When you ride down a steep hill do you get the sensation "I could go over these bars pretty easy"
    That's the feeling I get just looking at the picture.

Sorry not very technical just my 2 cents...
    Best of Luck

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Now that I'm considering a different size I've started thinking about different manufacturers. Is that a total waste of time? I like the Felt product but have been doing touch reading and not enough riding (traveling for Thanksgiving). I just need to get the XL in and swap everything over. I'm going to remeasure once again and run the numbers. I do feel like I could go over the front now that it's been mentioned. In fact, I went over there last week as I went over a small gulley that was totally covered in leaves. Caught myself on a tree but it sure felt like it happened too easily.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackLovr View Post
    Just based on the picture you posted the bike looks too small. Actually no, too short front to back.
    When you ride down a steep hill do you get the sensation "I could go over these bars pretty easy"
    That's the feeling I get just looking at the picture.

Sorry not very technical just my 2 cents...
    Best of Luck
    Thanks. I'm going to post a pic tomorrow now that I've made the previously mentioned changes to see if it still looks that way. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here is a couple shots after putting a 120mm stem on it and moving the saddle back slightly. Went to my LBS yesterday and a few folks said that moving to an XL in the Felt may help me with my cockpit position but my standover could be very tight. That's what had me thinking about the Soma Juice...Longer cockpit but that little drop so I could stand over the bike with no issues. Fit wise, how do these pics look?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails In between bike sizes?-photo-1.jpg  

In between bike sizes?-photo-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Too small.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Surferbruce View Post
    Too small.
    Just left another bike shop and tried a 21" Wahoo on for sizing only. Stand over height was fine and it felt better....I agree at this point...thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'll be worth it in the long run to go through the hassle of getting the right size. Actually with the 120 stem your position doesn't look terrible, but you'll get better handing with the larger frame and shorter stem. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'll be worth it in the long run to go through the hassle of getting the right size. Actually with the 120 stem your position doesn't look terrible, but you'll get better handing with the larger frame and shorter stem. Good luck!
    Yep...just need to figure out what will work and what wont work from my bike to the Soma. Can't find specs to save my life on that bike.

Ariolimax columbianus
    you'll never know till you ride both sizes and different stems. welcome to the world of upgraditis.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    In your case I would go XL with a shorter stem and wider bar for that frame. That being said the ETT measurement only goes so far when you factor in the seat tube angle and how high you have your seat. The higher the seat the farther back it moves. Ideally you want your seat level with the bars or above the bars 1-2". If your seat is below the bars it will take too much weight off the front end and make the bike hard to handle in corners. For example, I am 6'-2" with my seat level at the bars and the ETT on my bike is 24.75" & SA is 71.8. I ride with a 80mm stem and 700mm bars. The fit for me is spot on. I also have a bike with a 25.5" ETT but I dont ride it much because it is just too big for me. It might be that Felt geometry is just not for your proportions and you should keep test riding before you decide. The bike must fit you above all else.

29er
    Apr 2010
    i would got with a bigger frame and a shorter stem

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ok, so here is where I am....Below is a snapshot of measurements of my current bike, the Soma Juice in a 20" and 22" frame and a Trek Wahoo. I went to a different bike store yesterday just to test out the larger frame and liked it better. There are apparently one or two of the 20" and 22" frames left out there that I can get today or tomorrow. Based on what you've read so far can you offer more insight, especially since I wont be able to test ride the Soma frame.

One more thing, my bike mechanic is running this identical frame and my identical shock (SID XX 100mm) but I am being told that the shock wont fit the Soma Juice...My Felt has a tapered head tube but the Soma apparently doesn't. Why would it work on his bike?

Thanks for all of the assistance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    One more thing, my bike mechanic is running this identical frame and my identical shock (SID XX 100mm) but I am being told that the shock wont fit the Soma Juice...My Felt has a tapered head tube but the Soma apparently doesn't. Why would it work on his bike?

Thanks for all of the assistance.

Many forks are available in tapered and non-tapered (traditional), yours is probably one of them.

The tapered fork has a larger diameter where the steerer meets the crown, which allows for more stiffness and longer travel single crowns. It's rapidly becoming more common.

A non-tapered fork will fit in a tapered frame with a special headset bottom cup. A tapered fork will not fit in a non-tapered frame under any viable circumstances.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

transmitter~receiver
    It's not identical. He must have the non-tapered version.

The Soma frame is SHIS 34, which is the standard for conventional, straight steer tubes that are 1-1/8" in diameter.

The inside diameter of the Soma head tube is 33.95mm.

Tapered forks have an outside diameter of 38.1mm.

So as you can see, a tapered fork won't even fit inside the head tube, let alone have space for a cup, crown race or bearings.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Wow, in the pics it looks like you are walking down the street, not riding a bike (someone photoshop that LOL). I'm surprised that the LBS would try to put you on a Large, but I'm no expert. I "suffered" on an L that was recommended by the LBS (that's all they had at the time). It was ok, but I always felt cramped, and the XL is much better. Regarding the standover, just check the difference for the XL and compare to the L and see if you can handle it.

It's your money, take your time and pick the size / brand you want. I personally like the stability of a longer wheelbase and don't mind working a little harder on tight switchbacks. I've gone OTB plenty of times, but only once on the current bike.

mtbr member
    Looks like the bike is to short (for you). The height is OK.
    XL will be a bit longer, but also higher. I wouldn't go for the XL.
    Might just be that Felt is not the best choice for you, but that's too late I guess.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thasingletrackmastah View Post
    Looks like the bike is to short (for you). The height is OK.
    XL will be a bit longer, but also higher. I wouldn't go for the XL.
    Might just be that Felt is not the best choice for you, but that's too late I guess.
    It's not too late thus my post here. I would rather have a longer bike that fits and deal with a little tightness in the crockpit....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, this sucks...I apparently was told that I bought a L Felt Nine 60 but it appears it was a 20"...If I look small on the 20" then no doubt I need to go with the 22" Soma, right? Here are the specs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Pull out a tape and measure up your effective toptube. Sure doesn't look like a 20" in your pics but you need to confirm what you're on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Pull out a tape and measure up your effective toptube. Sure doesn't look like a 20" in your pics but you need to confirm what you're on.
    I hear you. I measured from center of BB to top of seatpost. 20" there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I went back in and sat on my current bike and the 20" Soma and went ahead and changed my order from 20" to 22".....thanks again for all of the input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I hear you. I measured from center of BB to top of seatpost. 20" there.
    Careful, not all frames are measured that way (link).

Revisionist Theory of Bicycle Sizing

It could be that Felt is measuring to the center of the top tube. I would compare the other measurements to make sure.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast