Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,354

    Better than cork - rate my wrap!

    So I tried the Jeff Jones style Dimension cork grips. Nice and comfy but God bless America, I couldn't keep them from spinning. Not even hairspray worked. Wasn't going to glue them on either.

    The only slip on grip I've used in the past few years that's stuck like chuck once installed is the ESI Chunky - so that's what I put on. Had a used roll of Fizik Microtex bar tape, in white no less so I did my best wrap (took a bit of creativity to get it built up enough for a smooth transition from the ESIs) and sealed it off with the end caps from a set of OURY lock on grips - they fit perfectly over the ESI and bar tape (plus, when tightened, hold the bar tape in place nicely). For the tape snobs, I did re-do the tape later so it's neater, had to go to the Park tool site and 'refresh' my memory

    Better than cork. Black and white - Crazy Fred approved.



    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,994
    Very nice!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: photorider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    106
    Looks like my racquet FWIW.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CRAZY FRED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,674

    To F-N funny,

    WOW to funny I clicked on to the thread and saw the white rap and said Wow very nice, plus it's white so hey, it's got my vote..Than I went on to read what you had posted and saw the CF aproved comment..HaHa thanks I thought it was very funny..But all kidding aside I really think it looks great... CF.....

  5. #5
    Witty McWitterson
    Reputation: ~martini~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,034
    Tape snob? wait, was that directed at me???

    I luv my ESI's. I like the fizik tape too. Let us know how the combo works.
    Just a regular guy.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,673
    I just put ESI Chunky's on my H-bar. Way better than Ergon's for an off-road application on these bars. They got moved to my Big Dummy with a J-bar and I'm very happy with that application. Do you even use the center section? I never really have seriously, and I have J or H bars on three of my seven bikes (which, oddly, are all Surlys). I would if I was touring for sure, but odds are I'd lay down on the bars.

  7. #7
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,354
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Tape snob? wait, was that directed at me???

    I luv my ESI's. I like the fizik tape too. Let us know how the combo works.
    Busted I was self-conscious after you called me out for this debacle After wrapping my road bar a few times and the J-bars twice now, it's an art form and takes some time and skill to get right.




    Combo is working great. The tape gets a little tacky when wet with sweat and is thin enough to lay smooth. It works well for me - I did go back to gel/cork for the road bar, this was a bit too thin in that application - but perfect on the J-bar over some ESIs.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  8. #8
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,354
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    WOW to funny I clicked on to the thread and saw the white rap and said Wow very nice, plus it's white so hey, it's got my vote..Than I went on to read what you had posted and saw the CF aproved comment..HaHa thanks I thought it was very funny..But all kidding aside I really think it looks great... CF.....
    Thanks. I saw the black and white thing in the Banshee thread
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  9. #9
    Witty McWitterson
    Reputation: ~martini~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,034
    haha! Yes, t'is an art form. I love wrapping bars, so much so that I insist that I do it for customers that buy tape. I've got looong hands, and generally like thicker tape on the road/cross bikes, but the fizik stuff is so good that I've not really complained much about it being thin.
    Just a regular guy.

  10. #10
    Bike Snob
    Reputation: can't get right's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,230
    Looks just like my tennis racquet.

  11. #11
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,499
    Haha Looks very nice and comfy, good job. I used to use bar tape wrapped double a few years back, but since I tried the Ergons I haven't used anythign but.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  12. #12
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,354
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Haha Looks very nice and comfy, good job. I used to use bar tape wrapped double a few years back, but since I tried the Ergons I haven't used anythign but.
    I like Ergons too and have used them before on the J-bar/H-bar but find that I like the round grip a bit better for the body english necessary on a rigid SS. The Ergon GA1 would be ideal - but I had the ESIs and bar tape already. No need to spend when I had perfectly good spares (and lets face it, using the Fo school of trailhead theory, the black/white color scheme is enhanced raising my stature at the trail head )
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  13. #13
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,009
    Very good job.
    For folks into the "easy" way, I recommend a tip I think shiggy once passed :
    - 7/8"/22mm in side diameter chain leg rubber bumper thingies. Slap those on the bars first, and start your wrap job from there. Too easy really. totally beat the road bar style crappy plastic plugs. Plus, the rubber chain leg covers simply stay in place, and plevent damange to the bar tape. What's more, you can even use them to slightly grip length. Coins inside add bar length. On a Midge bar especially, you want that.

    My Ti H-bar still has Jeff's original wrapjob. The grips got hurt though, soo I'll have to do a new wrap of some kind. Something thick and comfortable.

  14. #14
    ewh
    ewh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    83
    I have fizik gel with 2 wraps of the fuzzy black tape on my Sultan and it is stupendously comfortable.

  15. #15
    the mountian is within
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    543
    Long live the white rapper!
    I did my J-bars with salsa rasta tape for a 'dancehall' feel.Tape is good grippin'!
    So sorry,no photo.
    Bz
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

  16. #16
    BWG
    BWG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    498
    That looks great!

    One step even better - I recently started wrapping my drop bars by beginning in the center and wrapping towards the bar end. Tuck the end of the tape inside the bar and then place the end cap. Eliminates the "electrical tape look" adjacent to the stem. I never could get the tape to look as good as the rest of the wrap, and if you don't use self-adhesive bar tape it can be easily and cleanly removed and used again if you need to work on the bars/brakes/shifters etc...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    273
    Holy crap. I saw this photo and at first thought I was looking at a kick-ass coffee cup attachment of some sort.

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Busted I was self-conscious after you called me out for this debacle After wrapping my road bar a few times and the J-bars twice now, it's an art form and takes some time and skill to get right.




    Combo is working great. The tape gets a little tacky when wet with sweat and is thin enough to lay smooth. It works well for me - I did go back to gel/cork for the road bar, this was a bit too thin in that application - but perfect on the J-bar over some ESIs.

  18. #18
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,354
    Quote Originally Posted by BWG
    That looks great!

    One step even better - I recently started wrapping my drop bars by beginning in the center and wrapping towards the bar end. Tuck the end of the tape inside the bar and then place the end cap. Eliminates the "electrical tape look" adjacent to the stem. I never could get the tape to look as good as the rest of the wrap, and if you don't use self-adhesive bar tape it can be easily and cleanly removed and used again if you need to work on the bars/brakes/shifters etc...
    Interesting. The same weekend I did this, I put on some 3T Ergonova bars on my roadie. The flat top part was a challenge to wrap nicely but when it tapered back to the center, it actually finished quite well.

    Will keep this idea in mind Thanks!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •