AOK
    mtbr member

Better candidate for tubeless - TK7.1d or Mustang?

I recently went tubeless for the first time and have learned that I really like it. I went with Stan's rims for the first tubeless wheels, which was a no-brainer. Now I am considering converting a set of wheels without Stan's rims. I have two sets - one with Bonty Mustang disc rims, one with DT TK7.1d rims.

Anyone have an opinion as to which would work better with Stans?

The Mustangs are a couple of years old, so they are not the newer tubeless ready rims.

I found a few threads with successful Mustang setups, but can't seem to find much info on the TK7.1d + tubeless.

I set up a Mustang tubeless (Stans 26" kit, Dry X tire) yesterday, and it was surprisingly easy. It held for the ride today, so thus far all is good.

A friend with TK's has rolled a couple tires off the rims, so they would seem to be a poor choice insofar as that goes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I previously did non-TLR Mustang 26er rims using the Bonty strips, and it worked well. I'm currently running a Bonty strip that is technically too narrow for my Rhythm rims, and they still sealed up quick, and have held well over about 10 hours of riding.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Mustang 29er rims convert very easily and seal up quite well. The dt 7.1 worked well, but the Mustang outperformed it, in my experience.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    I did a stan's conversion on a pair of 26" DT XR 4.1 and had some trouble. The rear wheel held fine, but the front kept blowing off. It would set up ok, but after about 5 minutes and 35+ psi it'd blow off the rim. Luckly it happened so quick I never had a chance to ride it.

I racked my brain for a while on why the rear worked, but the front didn't and finally realized I put an extra layer of strapping tape on the front. It was just enough extra to keep the tire from seating.

I know a lot of people who have made successful tubeless conversions (stan's or their own) on various Bonti rims. They're probably a better bet.

Az HS Cycling League

I found...

the mustang to convert much more easily. They were slightly larger (diameter) than the 7.1 and the tire fit more snugly. The DT rims worked fine once inflated, but took more effort to get inflated and to sustain air. In my experience, I would only trust the DT's with wire bead tires only. Good luck.
    Support Arizona High School Cycling League in 2013
    www.arizonamtb.org

No longer 26
    Mustang,

I am using used old Stans 26" strips. In fact, I just tore the stem enough on the rear of my FS bike that it sprung a leak that the stans would not seal. Tore it the rest of the way off, cut a presta valve stem from an old worn tube I had lying around and installed through the open hole of the rimstrip from the tear. Tightened it up with the stem nut and it aired right back up and holding great. Did this all without removing the tire from the rim or wheel from the bike.

Tire is an IRC Mythos II front.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Since it is your safety, why not pay a little more, and go for the real deal: Arch or Flow?

mtbr member
    TK's are relatively narrow with a high sidewall- it was originally designed as a "touring rim". I would not, personally, recommend converting them, although I have found them to be very durable.