Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Best XC 29er wheelset..

Hello everyone!! Iím building a 2012 niner, A.I.R. 9 (med) and need help with wheelset selection. This bike will be used for XC training/racing.

I weigh about 190 LBs, and want to stay within 400-500 price range. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Currently looking at EA70 XC 29er.

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Easton/Easton-EA70-XC-29er-Wheelset-2012.axd

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You can probably shop around and find a Stan's Arch or Flow wheel set for around the same price, and it'll be about 200-300g lighter.

MTB B'dos
    For that money, and that weight on those Eastons, definitely not them. Hope Pro2 EVOs laced to Stans ArchEX rims from Wiggle, they'll weigh somewhere around 1700g and be strong enough for your 190lbs. Don't mind it only says Arch, they're all EX version of the Stans rims. Best deal on the web right now for these wheels, only downside, you can't select hub colour, it's just black, but for $382 US shipped you can't beat it Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Wheelset | Performance Wheels
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Easton Havens have been on sale at Chain Reaction Cycles for a while. I picked up a set and am happy with them. Just make sure you contact Easton right away for the bearing upgrade kit for the rear hub. It's free and simple to replace. Easton Haven MTB 29er Wheelset | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    +1 on Arch EX on Hope Pro II Evo. Might not apply to you, but I've gone through various axle sizes and their adapters are inexpensive and easy to swap. Just noticed Lynx's link, and what a welcome surprise to see more 29er options now, other than the Crests.

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    For that money, and that weight on those Eastons, definitely not them. Hope Pro2 EVOs laced to Stans ArchEX rims from Wiggle, they'll weigh somewhere around 1700g and be strong enough for your 190lbs. Don't mind it only says Arch, they're all EX version of the Stans rims. Best deal on the web right now for these wheels, only downside, you can't select hub colour, it's just black, but for $382 US shipped you can't beat it Wiggle | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Wheelset | Performance Wheels
    Damn, that is a good deal. Thanks for posting.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have that set from wiggle and I am 220 and they have been awesome. I run them on my XC only trails but they have been stellar. Only other option I would say is some light bicycle chinese carbons

Zaf
    mtbr member
    I just put my order in for the Hope Pro 2's laced up with Flow's from Wiggle as well. I think the ETA on them is late july from correspondence with their team over the weekend. Also, if you get it with the Flow's, I believe the front hub comes default 20mm TA, so you need to get hold of a conversion kit for it, still waiting on the Wiggle team to get back to me over that.

Also, just for reference sake, Wiggle said that all ZTR rims come with the tubeless tape pre-installed, so it should be "get a valve stem, inflate tyre" out of the box deal.

Can't beat that wheelset though. Hope hubs and ZTR rims, front and rear for under $400, bolt on some Ice-Techs and haunt the trails with excessive manic giggling.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    Also, just for reference sake, Wiggle said that all ZTR rims come with the tubeless tape pre-installed, so it should be "get a valve stem, inflate tyre" out of the box deal.
    Interesting. Their Crest/Hope combo always came with green Hope rim tape, so they're ready to go with tubes. It would definitely be another welcome surprise if we no longer have to re-tape with tubeless specific tape.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Now you've made me doubt it. I remember asking the guy in their little customer service chat a bunch of things about the wheelset, I distinctly remember that being what he said. I guess I'll keep you posted on that, I'm currently enquiring about the 15mm TA conversion plugs so that I can add them to an order with my brake rotors, might be able to tag the question onto the back of it and get an e-mail confirmation of it.

Failing that, wheelset's due to arrive later this month, I'll try to remember to update you then if I haven't heard anything back before then.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm positive the stock Stan's ZTR rim/ZTR hub combos come tubeless ready with tape and valves, so maybe Wiggle was confusing those with ZTR rim/Hope Hub combos. I hope not though.

MTB B'dos
    Yes, you are correct, any wheels with the AM/FR rims, AKA Flows, come with the 20mm end caps as standard, will have to order the 15mm end caps separately.

NO, their wheels DO NOT come with tubeless tape installed (have ordered 3 sets for people over the last about 6 months), just some standard green rim tape, you will still need some tape and need to re-tape them. Goldenaustin is right, the Stans wheels come already taped with the tubeless tape, not the Hopes.
    I just put my order in for the Hope Pro 2's laced up with Flow's from Wiggle as well. I think the ETA on them is late july from correspondence with their team over the weekend. Also, if you get it with the Flow's, I believe the front hub comes default 20mm TA, so you need to get hold of a conversion kit for it, still waiting on the Wiggle team to get back to me over that.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    Interesting. Their Crest/Hope combo always came with green Hope rim tape, so they're ready to go with tubes. It would definitely be another welcome surprise if we no longer have to re-tape with tubeless specific tape.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Yeah, also got confirmation from the Wiggle team confirming that. "I can confirm that these only come with the standard Hope rim tapes, not the tubeless compatible Stans tape."

My next question is, which rim tape/stip do I buy in order to set them up tubeless? I can't seem to find the tape outside of one of the tubeless kits, but I already have plenty of sealant. Can you set it up tubeless just using the strips, or is the tape required? Do they have stips in for 29er Flow's rims?

MTB B'dos
    You just need the Stans 25mm wide tape for the Flows, they say you can use either 25mm or 21mm for the Crest/Arch, but I always use the 21mm. Where are you looking for the tape, I can find it easily most places, you didn't look too hard, but since I'm feeling nice......
    Stans No Tubes Stan's Rim Tape | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Spank Fratelli Tubeless Conversion Tape 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Yeah, also got confirmation from the Wiggle team confirming that. "I can confirm that these only come with the standard Hope rim tapes, not the tubeless compatible Stans tape."

My next question is, which rim tape/stip do I buy in order to set them up tubeless? I can't seem to find the tape outside of one of the tubeless kits, but I already have plenty of sealant. Can you set it up tubeless just using the strips, or is the tape required? Do they have stips in for 29er Flow's rims?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Was just confirming all you needed was the tape, most of the kits that Stans do have tape and strips in it, so I just wanted to make sure I only needed one or the other. My first foray into Stans gear, been using Bontrager and DT swiss tubeless systems prior to this, neither of which ran tape.

Cheers for the heads up, I'll throw on of those tapes into the basket.

Oh also, Wiggle doesn't have the 15mm TA conversion kit, not really a problem unless you're getting Flow's built up, just need to source them from CRC for the time being.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Cant beat hopes for ease of maintenance and compatibility.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have these on my Superfly. I'm 240-250lbs and they've been great. 1600g is nice and light too.

Bontrager: Race Lite TLR Disc CL 29 (Model #11072)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Best XC 29er wheelset..

Just got Hope Pros laced to Flow exs from Merlin Cycles for $360. Delivery to PA took 7 days and they are perfect. Only rode them on the streets so far but they have a great rep in the forums... Maybe a little much for XC but worth a look..Best XC 29er wheelset..-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372824954.657509.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for all the inputs guys!! I went with lynx's suggestion and ordered "hope hoops pro2 Evo on ztr crest".. It will be here in 2 weeks and will let you guys know if it'll hold it's reputation..nonetheless, I'm new to this site and this is actually my 1st post. I must say, I'm very impressed on how tight this community is.. I'm actually a roadie, and just started to get into mt. Biking. Thank you all!!

mtbr member
    I'm a total Hope hater and I'd be tempted to pick up a set at that price!
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

MTB B'dos
    Roadie in you just couldn't let you pass up the 140g weight savings huh Hope the Crests hold up to your 190lbs, personally as I suggested, woulda gone for the ArchEXs instead much stiffer wheel and better tracking and ride. Make sure when you get them that you de-tension them and give them a re-check for true once you do that - last set I got I had to de-tension and popped and pinged like crazy, but were true after. I only have a Crest wheel on the front because that's all they used to offer and I was curious, damn glad I sent them that e-mail to ask them to carry the entire lineup of 29ers Stans rims, glad they listened - not they're not normally in stock, take a couple weeks now to deliver

Quote Originally Posted by ilocano View Post
    Thanks for all the inputs guys!! I went with lynx's suggestion and ordered "hope hoops pro2 Evo on ztr crest".. It will be here in 2 weeks and will let you guys know if it'll hold it's reputation..nonetheless, I'm new to this site and this is actually my 1st post. I must say, I'm very impressed on how tight this community is.. I'm actually a roadie, and just started to get into mt. Biking. Thank you all!!
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Yeah, I've heard the same said of the Flow to Arch's. Weight loss doesn't make up for the stiffness loss.
    I am a little bit more biased to "sturdiness" at the moment however, I just wrote off my DT Swiss M1800's by catching the rear wheel on a square edged rock that put an S bend in the rim and a nice dent on the rim wall, rendering it "unsafe for offroad use". Since I bought that wheelset back in February, I wasn't exactly keen to be doing the upgrade.

Trying to keep in mind that no wheelset is safe from user error. Worse because I'm trying to save for a new Fuel EX 9 29er (although jury is still out on whether I want to make the jump to carbon), but I'm thinking I'll just get the conversion kit and swap the wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the warning LyNx!! I was doing some readings, and the crest should be strong enough for the type of riding this bike is intended for - mainly for commuting and strictly XC.. On the other note, the arch comes with 20mm TA which is not the right fit for my fork. Anyhow, your inputs are very informative and much appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Roadie in you just couldn't let you pass up the 140g weight savings huh Hope the Crests hold up to your 190lbs, personally as I suggested, woulda gone for the ArchEXs instead much stiffer wheel and better tracking and ride. Make sure when you get them that you de-tension them and give them a re-check for true once you do that - last set I got I had to de-tension and popped and pinged like crazy, but were true after. I only have a Crest wheel on the front because that's all they used to offer and I was curious, damn glad I sent them that e-mail to ask them to carry the entire lineup of 29ers Stans rims, glad they listened - not they're not normally in stock, take a couple weeks now to deliver

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Ilocano, the Hope hubs have plug and play axle adaptors for ANYTHING you could possibly want. Need a QR axle, just slot appropriate end caps, tap with a hammer to make sure it's snug and you're done. It's a slight increase in cost, think the 15mm TA options I'm buying for my front hub are going to set me back about AUD$25, but these options exist for all the Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs, front and rear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast