mtbr member

The best rear hub for a MTB

Hi,
    I'm about to build a new wheel set to my kona raijin and I would appreciate some thoughts about hub choice...
    The raijin frame gives me the opportunity to choose a hub with 135 or 142 axle width but I am not a heavy rider and a bit of conservative when it comes to ''new'' dimensions...At least new to me, wherefore I lean towards building the rear wheel on a 135mm, 32h hub.

The candidates are this far:

XTR m985
    Chris king ISO
    Hope pro 2

I would really appreciate more suggestions or thoughts on the hubs above.

Cheers!
    //Marcus
    Last edited by marckus; 02-12-2014 at 05:55 AM.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    never used them but Hadley gets good comments priced between hope and king I think? There are pthercompanies doing nice stuff too...phil wood, WI, Paul.

mtbr member
    My preference would be King then I-9 then Hope.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    King

mtbr member
    By the way...you're gonna love the Raijin...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    I need the hubs to be easy to service and that bearings/bodys etc. should be easy to find. I ride in pretty harsh conditions all year around, rain, snow and mud, and this wheel set is supposed to be my everyday choice, except from racing.

How are the industry 9 when it comes to service and spare parts? Why would them be preferred over the pro 2s?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Seriously, if you're spending the money on new wheels, why spend it on a old standard? Make your wheels more useful and build them 142. If you sell the frame, or the wheels later, more and more bikes are 142.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    I'm certain I will Will post a build-thread as soon as all the parts have arrived

mtbr member
    I have run King hubs for most of the last ten years.

I have heard only good things about I9, but have never used them.

I did have a Hope hub for a short time which performed well with no issues ... just don't have any long term experience with them. I think most think they are a good quality hub for the money...

I'm running a 135 King on my Raijin SS, and it is a SS specific hub, but I already had the wheel set from another bike when I got the Raijin frame.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Seriously, if you're spending the money on new wheels, why spend it on a old standard? Make your wheels more useful and build them 142. If you sell the frame, or the wheels later, more and more bikes are 142.
    Will absolutely give it a second thought when you put it like that!

Any thoughts on the xtr-hubs compared to the kings?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by marckus View Post
    Will absolutely give it a second thought when you put it like that!

Any thoughts on the xtr-hubs compared to the kings?
    Well I'm having a wheel set built right now. My first hand built wheel set was King and I had them for over 9 years, can't say enough about how good they were. It was back during a lazy perod in my life and I did absolutely no maintenance and the still ran perfectly when I sold them.

That said, at this point, based on weight, price and performance, I'm going DTSwiss 350s. I know not bling, but they get the job done at a reasonable price. I'm putting the money into the rims- Carbon.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    DT Swiss 240s with the 36 point upgrade, or the 180s if you want a bling version.
    Profile Racing Elite MTB hubs (equal quality to CK, mondo POE
    Project 321 hubs

All of those are pretty awesome.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    I ran profile hubs on my ss some years ago. Crazy POE and easy to replace bearings. Are there any stores selling these to recommend within europe?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have 2 sets of king hubs that are over 10 years old and have been ran hard the whole time
    I have had zero issues with either set

My buddy has I9 hubs and his front hub bearings went bad with the first 3 months of use.
    for what it is worth

mtbr member
    Seems to be a hard to get I9 hubs in europe anyway...

mtbr member
    Another vote for Hope hubs here, especially considering you are in Europe. They are not the lightest, but they are reasonably priced, super durable, come in cool colors, and are easy to work on. They can also easily be converted between different standards, ie 135 QR to 142 TA. They work great in sloppy conditions and are easy to service if needed.

I have been running a set on my singlespeed to like 6 years with zero maintenance. Every year or so I pull the freehub off to inspect the grease and such, and it's always looked perfect, so I just pop it back on. My brother has a set of Kings that need regular maintenance, otherwise the freehub starts skipping.

The only negative for some is the sound, but I kind of like it!

mtbr member
    Chris King make the most superior freehub system hands down...BUT, if you want to run 1 x 11 you currently have to look elsewhere. I would most likely go Hadley if I was going to go with a 1 x 11 system.

I would give special consideration in Europe to DT 240's...nothing fancy but light, solid, and reliable freehub driver.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Whatever you get, make sure they are convertible to different axle standards. The way standards have been changing, you don't want to be caught with your pants down.

If you were going for a budget build, different story.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by marckus View Post
    I need the hubs to be easy to service and that bearings/bodys etc. should be easy to find. I ride in pretty harsh conditions all year around, rain, snow and mud, and this wheel set is supposed to be my everyday choice, except from racing.

How are the industry 9 when it comes to service and spare parts? Why would them be preferred over the pro 2s?
    Cheers
    I9 are so easy its not funny.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Another vote for Hope hubs here, especially considering you are in Europe. They are not the lightest, but they are reasonably priced, super durable, come in cool colors, and are easy to work on. They can also easily be converted between different standards, ie 135 QR to 142 TA. They work great in sloppy conditions and are easy to service if needed.

I have been running a set on my singlespeed to like 6 years with zero maintenance. Every year or so I pull the freehub off to inspect the grease and such, and it's always looked perfect, so I just pop it back on. My brother has a set of Kings that need regular maintenance, otherwise the freehub starts skipping.

The only negative for some is the sound, but I kind of like it!
    His kings need regular maintenance?

I have only opened up both of my king rear hubs once in 10 years

Last week being the first time for one of them, needed cleaning.

Any high end hub that is available to you should be fine

Most of the high end hubs are easily serviced also

I would not limit yourself to just 1x11

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    My preference would be King then I-9 then Hope.

SPP
    Yeah same here,

King would be my first option by far...
    Last edited by Max24; 03-08-2015 at 10:48 PM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Hello I need help I have a specialized camber 29er elite with REAR HUB : Specialized Hi Lo disc, double sealed cartridge bearing, QR, 32h , I was wonder if that rear hub can be serviced or tune up, cuz is gone is no even making sound anymore... If not which good rear hub can I used .. of course I dont have to get a second mortgage in my house to get the hub !!! lol

thxs

Trail Ninja
    The longer I ride on them, the more I like my Kings. I have DT 240s, I9s, Eastons, and generics that I ride occasionally too. The ones that feel newer/freshly rebuilt are so much more satisfying to ride on compared to my older ones with issues from wear. I think I've been riding on my Kings for at least 3 years, and saved a lot of time and money being able to service it myself. I had to replace bearings on my Eastons, and my i9s feel kind of draggy in comparison. My DTs faired pretty well over the years, and it's easy to find replacement parts for it, but they're rather expensive. Replacement bearings and the drifts to press them in add up in expenses. I think the generics are just disposable, in comparison. Only time I had to fudge with my i9s is to contemplate replacing the freehub, due to pretty bad cassette bite marks... been going strong for over 1 year of heavy riding in 3 diff states (FL, NY, CA) and a few occasional rides over the past couple years (of mainly riding my Kings).

If you go I9, you should go with the i9 alloy spokes, as that's a big part of the formula that gives them a responsive ride, one that also helps you feel more connected to the tire/ground. Your riding changes for the better, with sharper awareness of how your bike is reacting to the ground and the responsiveness to act on the feedback. The King wheelset I have is super stiff and sporty, which matches my bike's build quality and riding style. I'd love to try XTRs, considering they're also very serviceable and lack the drag of all the contact seals King uses, with their patented angular contact bearings cup-and-cone setup, with labyrinth sealing (less contact, less drag); I think they're the ideal front hub, but there's a lot going on inside that rear that makes it seem relatively delicate.

Summed up, King for the long haul, especially for a stoutly built bike, one that's also built for the long haul. I'm assuming that's why you chose the Raijin, not to competitively XC race on it, as that is a relatively heavy frame. As an alternative, a prebuilt set of i9s will liven up your ride experience, both through ride feel and visual/audible bling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Pretty dam happy with My Onyx. Far superior to the Hopes i was previously running. Six months so far and absolutely maintenance free. Feels bullet proof

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    3 years and 3 months later someone chimes in....

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bloaker View Post
    3 years and 3 months later someone chimes in....
    And 3 years and 3 months later people continually ask this question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb4190 View Post
    Pretty dam happy with My Onyx. Far superior to the Hopes i was previously running. Six months so far and absolutely maintenance free. Feels bullet proof
    I would hope that most hubs would be maintenance free after only 6 months.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yes agree. Most hubs should be but not all are. I have not managed to get that long out of any Hope hub before a bearing fails for example, But for sure its way to early to report on the reliability of the Onyx hub. I shall report back in two years

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've built with Kings and built and ridden wheels with DT-Swiss and I-9. I have tons of friends who swear by Chris King. The DTs and the I-9s seem to be far easier to service. The Kings require a special tool and pre-load adjustment. The I-9s don't require an special tools at all (don't loose the damn, tiny springs though.

I'v just always though CKs stuff is just too expensive for what it is. I'd rather get Hopes or I-9s and spend the cash on carbon rims.

mtbr member
    Lol