mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Best rack for 29ers (hitch style) on Honda Odyssey

Hi All,

I'm a noob and my wife and I just purchased two 29ers. We have two small children that will eventually have bikes as well so I want the ability to carry 4 bikes. We drive a 2008 Honda Odyssey and have decided on a hitch style rack. I am looking at the Yakima Swingdaddy vs. Thule Vertex Swing vs. Saris Axis. Any opinion on if one is better than the others?? The most important feature to me would be ease of load/unload. Thanks in advance for your time folks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    no one has replied, so i will!!!

i don't have an odyssey but did have an '09 for a while

and, i don't have any experience with the racks you have mentioned - lol.

but i did do a google search and looked at the pictures.

i would prefer either the yakima or the thule as they have the swing away feature and that will allow you do access the rear of the van.

from the pictures the yakima appears to be a bit beefier(???).

also, how are you cables routed on the body of your bikes... are they under the bar or over?

if they are under the bar then maybe consider a tray system?

i have a single 1up single tray and it is crazy fast to load and unload.

also, you can add trays as needed... at a cost - ha!

that is all i have... i am sure you will get other replies!

joel

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I went with a 1upUSA rack. My other choice was Kuat. I really like the 1upUSA rack. Search this forum for a very long 1upUSA thread. Unfortunately with bike racks "best" is expensive.

1UPUSA.com :: Bicycle Racks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunderland View Post
    I went with a 1upUSA rack. My other choice was Kuat. I really like the 1upUSA rack. Search this forum for a very long 1upUSA thread. Unfortunately with bike racks "best" is expensive.

1UPUSA.com :: Bicycle Racks
    Agreed. Made in the USA, all aluminum. No plastic or rubber. Rock solid. Ability to tighten rack in hitch so there isn't any play.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    +1 on the 1up. My buddy and I both have them, we borrow each others' trays when necessary. I think the updated versions offer improvements in stability over the very stable version I have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I recently siwthced from a truck to a 4 runner. needed a rack which was the next purchase after delivery.

wanted a platform style like the 1up - but have dogs that go with us during the week so a minimal profile for the rack was a key concern.

after much research and a solid in-store look - i went with the Thule Apex. thought about the swing - but went with the standard 4 bike as w i lever flip it tilts away from the hatch and leave lots of room to load gear and the dogs jump in out without issue.

after 3 months - im not enamored with it - as the anti sway cradles are weak and the cradles that hold the bike slide to easily - a couple move when the bike is mounted.

overall - it works, and makes life simple enuf for the intended purpose.

having not spent any time w a 1up - it looks cool. kuat would have been my platform choice at the time

mtbr member
    I have the 1up. Easy to use and easy to take on and off. No assembly necessary and made in the USA. More expensive than the others but better by far. Most complaints I have heard about the others are the assembly and plastic parts, and not lasting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Agreed. Made in the USA, all aluminum. No plastic or rubber. Rock solid. Ability to tighten rack in hitch so there isn't any play.

I don't see anything on the 1up website with the capacitty to carry 4 bikes. Am I missing something? Any more opinons of Yakima vs. Thule vs. Saris?? Again, I want something easy to load and unload but don't want platform style. Thanks for all your feedback folks and I hope to get some more. Need to make a decision soon

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

You buy a double quick rack, that will you two trays, and then purchase either or or two add-ons to give you three or four bike capacity.

Joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Also, I think trays are far earlier to load.

Since you are asking about the Yakima, Thule and Saris...

I would get Yakima and then Thule.

I would want the option to 'swing' the bikes out of the way.

Joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    To start you need the heavy duty 2 bike rack for 2" receiver. And a 2" hitch.
    Then 2 add-on singles.
    1UPUSA.com :: Double Quik Rack Silver

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    For the ease of loading/unloading, tray style is probably the best. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably get something like the Yakima HoldUp with the extension. The sucker's going to be pretty long, though.

Something like a Swingdaddy will be cheaper, smaller and ligher, if you can make it work. That's what I've got and have no real complaints. Next time, though, I'm going with a tray style.

And for what it's worth, I really have been impressed with the Yakima support staff. Recently had to claim warranty issues with them and they took care of it quick and painless. Top notch service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ok guys. Thanks for the feedback because I think I've changed my mind and I'm now leaning more towards the platfrom/tray style. However, I am concerned about how much they stick out. Has anybody had problems with them bottoming out while transporting bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i did not install the factory hitch on my '09 odyssey... but, when i was looking, other owners who installed aftermarket hitches found that the receiver was below the bumper.

those that installed the factory hitches reported that the receiver was higher but they had to trim their rear bumpers.

also, the cost between aftermarket and factory hitches is night and day!

i now have a '12 outback and installed the factory hitch myself... it was quite a bit more expensive and i had to trim the bumper. but it was exactly what i wanted and i am happy.

i have pimp'd this pic in a few other threads - lol...

factory hitch w a single tray 1upUSA rack.

super fast to load and unload and the rack folds down to almost nothing when not needed. in fact, i can collapse it down and i will take less than half of my trunk space... very compact!!!

since you will be looking to haul 4 bikes expect to have a very heavy bike rack!!!

you may want to think about installing rear air bags into your odyssey to help with the sag.

if you haven't already... check out odyclub dot com

joel

mtbr member
    I have the 4 bike Kuat and love it. That said you can't go wrong with the 1Up either.

mtbr member
    another vote for 1up!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a Kuat, great rack. Can get one for 4 bikes too. 1-up is also supposed to be a great rack...but a 4 bike setup will end up costing about $1000.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Carry 4 bikes looks like a little difficult.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The one thing I like about the Thule tray rack is if you need to adjust the distance between the trays you can.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WNC Guy View Post
    Ok guys. Thanks for the feedback because I think I've changed my mind and I'm now leaning more towards the platfrom/tray style. However, I am concerned about how much they stick out. Has anybody had problems with them bottoming out while transporting bikes?
    I used to have a KŁat NV 4 Bike (NV + add-on). Great rack with awesome build quality. However, I hated the overhang. It was unsettling. Sold it and bought a North Shore Rack (NSR-4) and love it. Great clearance on my wife's Oddy. However, it will only work on bikes with a larger fork crown... i.e. mountain bikes... no roadies or BMX. But if that is all you ride, you'll love the rack.
    If the NSR is not for you, I'd consider the KŁat NV or Sherpa or the 1Up two bike. Then get a couple roof mounts for the kids bikes.

mtbr member
    Raxter racks makes a bike rack similar to the 1up but much more affordable.
    Raxter Racks - Rack Your Bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I bought the Kuat NV and the addon for my wife's Odyssey for a 3 week driving trip from Texas to Moab then Telluride.

Paid about $180 for a 2" hitch to be installed. Paid about $750 on Rakuten for both parts from two different sellers.

We had four bikes on the rack including one 20" wheel bike which required a Kuat supplied wheel adapter to be installed. 24" wheel bikes work without the wheel adapter. With the 20" adapter installed, you can carry only a kids bike in this position.

The Kuat has integrated cable lock which were to short to work on all the bikes. The hitch lock pin and cable locks all use the same keys.

Assembly was a time consuming pain in the ass. If de-assembly was easier, I'd break the rack down back to carry just two bikes for the majority of my needs. The rack is pretty heavy and would be too heavy for my wife or a skinny racer to install or remove from the hitch by themselves.

The rack is really long in the four bike config. The hitch tension knob has been scraped a few times on steep driveways. The knob still works after taking a few hits.

The Kuat can be folded up when not in use, but will block your rear gate. When bikes are installed, you can lower the Kuat to open the rear gate. This was usually a two person job due to the weight of the bikes and the Kuat.

Quality of construction of the Kuat is very good.

Once assembled and installed, four bikes can easily and quickly be installed on the Kuat in a minute or two.

Overall, I've been very satisfied and would purchase the Kuat again.