Aquaman

best lower volume (2.0 or below) 29er tire... and steel 29er frames (again)

So the Scott Sportster P4 Igot earlier this week had Continental double fighter II tires on it that seemed to narrow and slick or real trail riding - 700x37 (what does that mean in US 29" sizing by the way... like 29 x 1.5?). So I picked up some Serfas Krest 29 x 2.1 knobies to try out. The good news is that it seems like a great knobie tire, on my 21 mile ride today on single track, fireroad, and paved road it handled everything well (though it has a decent amount of rolling resistance everywhere due to the big knobs). The bad news: I was listening to the tire rubbing the chainstays the whole way... oops TOO BIG! I road by my LBS and asked him to measure the width of the knobs with a caliper, and they came out to 53mm - Apparently I'll need a 2.0 or under rer tire, for this bike.

Anyway, I put the Conty back on the rear, and left the Serfas up front, but I'm looking for something a little wider/beefier in the rear (and maybe something faster rollign in the front, though I do like the way the serface corners up front). I ride in the foothills of notherern California around Sacramento, Auburn, Folsom, etc, where it is loose dry stuff over hardpack in most places most of the year, with a very short but intense muddy season (will change tires for mud most likely). here are the tires I'm considering:

Michelin XC A/T 29x2.0
    Panaracer Firecross 29x1.85
    Specialized Fast Track 29x2.0
    WTB MutanoRaptor 29x1.85
    Kenda Karma 29x1.9

Any thoughts on these? Any others I should consider?

Thanks,
    Jared

p.s. - I am SOOOO sold on the 29er thing - only about a week since I got my entry level hybrid/29er I am dreaming of my ideal build. I want a steel frame to build up geared without an EBB (I've delt with EBBs in the past and have not been happy) - I just have to decide whether I want to go with: (in order of current infatuation level):
    Vassago Bandersnatch
    Q-Ball
    Niner M.C.R.9
    SOMA Juice
    Surly Karate Monkey.
    Any other reasonably priced steel non-EBB frames I should consider?

p.p.s. - OOOOooo and maybe the Spot LongBoard 9... I used to ride SS, I think 9 would be enough for me.
    Last edited by scienceseuss; 05-30-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Expert Crasher
    Schwalbe Little Albert if you want chunky tread that will grip in the loose, or WTB Nano Raptor for all around performance.

Bontrager also has 1.8 and 1.75 tires that will work well and offer you some breathing room.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    A good all-rounder type tread is the Specialized Captain 2.0. Fast roller with substantial shoulder knobs for cornering. Really good tire. Same casing size as the Fast Trak but a more versatile tread for trail use.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=35700

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sthrnfat
    A good all-rounder type tread is the Specialized Captain 2.0. Fast roller with substantial shoulder knobs for cornering. Really good tire. Same casing size as the Fast Trak but a more versatile tread for trail use.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=35700
    The Specialized 2.0 tires are bigger than most other 2.1, like the Krest.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I like Pythons. Decent traction and fast rolling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Bonty XDX (formerly Dry-X) in 1.75

Recovering couch patato
    Nanoraptor for a rear, definately. It's tall rather than wide, and has no edge knobs to mention.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nothing but Continental for me.

mtbr member
    the kenda small block 8 is a 2.1 but is very fast, light and durable. i have raced on them all season and have been very happy.

banda, all the way
    [SIZE="4"]www.cycleprogression.com[/SIZE]

Aquaman
    I just picked up a WTB NanoRaptor 2.1, and it fits fine with about 2mm each side.... plus, I just took it out for a quick 15 mile mix ride on pavement, singletrack, gravel roads, and some urban assault, and I have concluded that this tire rocks my socks all around the town. yay!

Stayin' Puft
    Maxxis... Ignitor and/or Crossmark. Currently running them combined front/rear respectively. I like the Crossmark mounted backwards on the rear for a little extra grip.

Second the Small Block 8's also...I will be switching to them soon as things are finally drying up around here... fast and surprisingly grippy.

rocky iv style
    Mar 2004
    if its enough tire for where you're riding...i love the firecross. lots of traction for a slightly narrower tire. rolling resistance is probably pretty high compared to other options/recommendations so it really depends what your priorities are.

slightly strange
    Quote Originally Posted by scienceseuss
    Any other reasonably priced steel non-EBB frames I should consider?
    The On-One Inbred. Mine just came in the mail today and I can't wait to build it up. For $250 with headset and free shipping, you can't beat it. Resonably priced is an understatement, especially since most places have it at $375 or more just for the frame. There's also a deal with the On-One carbon fork too, if you want a nice rigid fork.

Btw, I am not affilliated with Unreal Cycles or anything, I'm just a happy customer. I was actually waiting to link to the deal for a while cause I didn't have money to order stuff and was worried stock would run out.

edit: Also, another good cheaper steel frame to consider, especially if you have standover clearance issues, is the Origin 8 Scout.