mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Best lightweight XC HT bike for the money?

Hi all,

I'm shopping around for a light XC hardtail bike (<22lb) and not looking to spend a whole lot (will probably buy used). Any thoughts on what models to look out for? Currently, I'm considering a specialized epic comp and Cannondale fs-i carbon. I think the epic is slightly heavier.

There are a couple used bikes I'm looking at but it's through ebay and not sure how risky buying a used carbon frame would be without being able to closely inspect or test ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My money would be on the Canyon Exceed

Formerly of Kent
    A $500 Chinese carbon frame with a 69 degree HTA, 110mm fork, dropper and <20lbs for under $5k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Probably should of stated that I'd like to keep it under $3,500. Is it possible to put something together within that budget if I can supply some parts (wheelset, saddle, seat post) but source secondhand parts?

Formerly of Kent
    Yes.

You could do sub-22lbs relatively easily on that budget. Just have to make smart decisions on parts.

FWIW, the small things are what really add up. 30g thru axles as opposed to 55g ones. Light bars that cost the same as heavier ones. 150g saddles instead of 250g models.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would consider Giant XTC's used, including on ebay, those look like a lot of bike for the money.
    The 'steeper' head angle bikes from 2 or more years ago should be pretty cheap used, because so many people want the new slacker HTs, but unless your courses are really heavy, you'd most likely be fine on 5yr old geometry. My friend was trying to sell his couple year old BMC with xtr, but got nothing but super low offers so he kept it for a B bike, I think he's not the only one having trouble selling a 3 year old top end bike.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member
    I've got a China carbon frame and it sits at just under 20lbs. I don't think I've got more than 3k into the bike. My wheels came second hand from a friend. The rest of the parts were bought new when they went on sale. I swapped the 100mm Fox 32 in this picture to a 120mm Reba.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best lightweight XC HT bike for the money?-img_20160905_133324.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    where do you buy these china carbon frames? Do they take boost spacing? It sounds like there really isn't much to worry about buying used a carbon bike even if I wouldn't be able to inspect it.

Formerly of Kent

Best lightweight XC HT bike for the money?

Thereís an 8,000+ post thread in the 29er forum about them.

Chinese Carbon 29er
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    My money would be on the Canyon Exceed
    I second this. For under $3,500 you can get the Exceed CF SL 7.0 Pro Race. Or even get the 6.0 for $2,500 and spend the extra money on a 2nd wheelset and dropper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    These frames are supposed to weigh right around 3 pounds. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...meset/p/129034

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Thereís an 8,000+ post thread in the 29er forum about them.

Chinese Carbon 29er
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t
    8000+...is a LOT of extra BS to wade through. A while back I wanted to look into a Chinese FS 29er, but just didn't feel like going through the whole thing. I know it's a resource, but is there no way to sum up the pertinent info for those of us who didn't follow it from the beginning?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    8000+...is a LOT of extra BS to wade through. A while back I wanted to look into a Chinese FS 29er, but just didn't feel like going through the whole thing. I know it's a resource, but is there no way to sum up the pertinent info for those of us who didn't follow it from the beginning?
    Sure. Go to ChinerTown.com and read pertinent threads about 29er frames in the 29er forum. The more recent the better.

Also, the sticky with a list of hardtail frames.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Lots of good options so far. If you're going used, though, I think just about any of the big name carbon race bikes could work.

Scott Scale
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Trek Procaliber (if you like the soft/slightly flexy seat)
    Rocky Mountain Vertex
    Orbea Alma

There are probably many others I can't think of at the moment.

For new, I'd second the Canyon options. But sometimes they're sold out (they don't have the 6.0 in my size, for example).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'll keep those in mind thanks. I'm also open to 27.5 tire size so that should give me more option.

mtbr member
    If you have patience and can get to know your local racers, someone will occasionally let a top tier bike go for about half retail after a season especially if they get a new bike sponsor. Brand name, never assembled carbon frames pop up fairly often on ebay too. I scored a new never assembled 2015 Scalpel frame for $1k when Cannondale wanted $3900. It was a warranty replacement but someone decided to take another route.
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team/Eagle 1x12
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team #2
    2017 Stache 7
    2016 Boone RSL
    2016 CAAD 12

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien555 View Post
    I'll keep those in mind thanks. I'm also open to 27.5 tire size so that should give me more option.
    There are some killer deals on 27.5 Scott Scales in this guys thread. Torn between 3 27.5 Scales?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ethierjung View Post
    If you have patience and can get to know your local racers, someone will occasionally let a top tier bike go for about half retail after a season especially if they get a new bike sponsor. Brand name, never assembled carbon frames pop up fairly often on ebay too. I scored a new never assembled 2015 Scalpel frame for $1k when Cannondale wanted $3900. It was a warranty replacement but someone decided to take another route.
    This. I just got a brand new 2018 Epic S Works frameset with fork, post, seat, bars and stem for for so cheap I had to check the SN# to make sure it's not hot. This was a once in a lifetime deal.
    I have spare brakes and Boost wheels I'll share with the trail bike for a little while. All I had to buy was cranks, RD, shifter and grips. If you invest a bit of time you can score some amazing deals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The biggest thing is to make sure you get a bike your confident riding hard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    This. I just got a brand new 2018 Epic S Works frameset with fork, post, seat, bars and stem for for so cheap I had to check the SN# to make sure it's not hot. This was a once in a lifetime deal.
    I have spare brakes and Boost wheels I'll share with the trail bike for a little while. All I had to buy was cranks, RD, shifter and grips. If you invest a bit of time you can score some amazing deals.
    How you score that? Sounds like a good deal. I don't race and don't know anyone that does. I also heard to avoid buying XC bikes that have been through a hard season of XC racing as you don't really know what you're getting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I do race on occasion and I would not hesitate to buy a used race bike if I was able to inspect it. In fact I have. My old Spark was purchased used and there were some things I needed to address but I also saved a crap-ton of money. In this case (the Epic) it is new so no worries. I was very fortunate to scoop this up. As others have mentioned, the Canyons seem to be a great value for the money.

mtbr member
    Canyon Exceed. Just throwing another log on the fire.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Canyon Exceed. Just throwing another log on the fire.
    If it matters to you, the Canyon Exceed is still 142 rear. They haven't upgraded the frame to 148 Boost spacing. I've contacted Canyon USA and they say the next upgrade would have the 148 spacing but they could not (would not) give me a date when this is happening. Since they just officially released the Lux to Boost spacing, I expect they'll wait until next year to release the new Exceed. Hopefully I'm wrong and they will release it sooner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Canyon in the past likes to release new bikes when they do the model change-over in October.
    They are behind in moving to Boost rear spacing.
    Since the OP doesn't race, a bike that can take wider tires and rims while still relatively light is probably worth considering.
    More confidence and faster times for a little more weight than a skinny tire frame like an Exceed.
    You can put a Boost fork on it.

A carbon Fuse is one frame.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2385423/

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Westbrook cycles has some killer deals on 27.5 Scott scales that are half off. Like 19 pound bikes for 2500. XTR groupset, high end carbon cockpit, factory stepcast, nice wheels. Boost spacing. Pretty absurd deal.
    Last edited by party_wagon; 07-10-2018 at 05:57 AM.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    If it matters to you, the Canyon Exceed is still 142 rear...
    Yeah, I've been in the market for a carbon HT and Canyon was high on the list except for the 142.

Finding a china frame with a seat post able to take at least a 30.6" dropper is not easy, along with lack of 148 spaced frames. I'm sure they are coming soon, so just waiting for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Yeah, I've been in the market for a carbon HT and Canyon was high on the list except for the 142.

Finding a china frame with a seat post able to take at least a 30.6" dropper is not easy, along with lack of 148 spaced frames. I'm sure they are coming soon, so just waiting for now.
    Iíd wait, with the Lux going Boost Iíd imagine the Exceed will as well.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I went the Chinese carbon route. Tideace F-M009 frame. $200 and weighs around 1100g. Whole bike setup will weigh around 17# and cost under $3,500 everything brand new.
    Pros: "Relatively" cheap, I am building it up myself and handpicked every part, frame is easily replaceable
    Cons: 142 rear axle (wasn't a deal breaker for me), 27.2 seatpost (but can run a dropper), not as modern geo

I also like Canyon as an option, but have you looked at the Kestrel on Bikes direct?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Kestrel MXZ Team Carbon 29er Shimano XT 1x11 SRAM NX 1x11, WTB TCS Tubeless Compatible 29er Mountain Bikes

$2,200 for a full XT, Carbon, SID WC? Pretty hard to beat. Swap out a few pieces and you are ready to go. I just didn't go this route because by building from the ground up I could get a better bike for the same price, but for a ready to ride bike it's damn good. They also have a GX Eagle version for $2,500

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Earlier this year I got a new 2017 left over Alma M50 for $1,599. Being 2017 is not boost and the HTA is 70.5. With tubes still in, Stamp 2 pedals, 2 aluminum bottle cages and couple of extras it is right at 27 lbs. I think I got a great deal but if you are patient you could score a 2018 model when they go on sale and this has boost and 69.5 HTA. The lifetime warranty on the frame is worth over going with a cheap Chinese frame IMO.

mtbr member
    Love my Ď18 Epic HT. Itís at 20lbs, but just the wheels alone blew it past $3,500...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Specialized Chisel? There is a Chisel thread in the Specialized forum and the builds were all in the low 20lb range and I think even the Comp and Expert builds from Specialized were mid 20ís.. great geo and I think itís boost too.. I got to ride one of these and I didnít want to give it back!!
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=239976-128882