Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

best hybrid? anyone make a 29er hybrid?

I have a good MTB Cannondale Flash 29er and a good road bike, Cervelo RS but I am thinking about adding a hybrid to my fleet. Hybrids dont seem to be too expensive and for what I would use it for maybe up to $1500 would be ideal. I am thinking about a Quick CX1 by Cannondale for the disk brakes although I might want more of a street tire.

any other real nice hybrids to look at? Will it be much faster than my MTB? I wont need any severe granny gears on something like this. I live by DC and I think I might enjoy a hybrid more than the MTB for the C&O canal trail which is too rough for a road bike. I love my 29er MTB so why cant I find any 29er hybrids? I think the tire size would be great once they are rolling! I would rather have a dedicated bike than messing around with different sets of tires etc.
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Specialized makes the Crosstrail, which sorta sounds like what you want. Other mfgr's have comparable offerings. They sometimes market as "light-duty mountain bikes" but I'm not skilled enough to ride them on real single-track. If you're commuting or recreating on a canal towpath you may not need front susp., which would be good because the forks on the so-called LD mtn bikes aren't very good. You might also be able to get by with really fat smooth tires, which would be more efficient and safe on pavement. I'll be interested to hear what you decide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The hardtail 29er with a fast set of tires is replacing the hybrid in a lot of cases. I'd rather a 29er with hybrid tires than a hybrid with 29er tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Voodoo Nakisi? More upright geometry than a traditional 29er, but fits 2.1 Nano Raptors.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Take a look at cyclocross bikes. They are drop bar bikes with 700c(29") tires with lots of clearance. Can take a wide variety of tire sizes so you can go thin and ride the streets or fat and hit the canal trails. The frames are usually very versatile so you can set them up with racks, fenders, etc if needed also.

mtbr member
    get some slicks and put them on you flash.
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think I would prefer a faster comfy version of a MTB as opposed to a cross bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blumena84 View Post
    hey - I'm trying to get more bikes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blumena84 View Post
    This. The Quick CX1 is pretty sweet, if you like the bike just swap out the tires

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Although honestly if it were me, I'd just ride my hardtail 29er (in your case, the Flash) on the rail trail. I think my friends would make fun of me if I bought a bike just for rail trails

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a steel cross and love it for hard pack trail riding. It's fast and all day comfortable. I have it setup for a more relaxed upright cockpit and currently have 38c's on it. If I'm putting miles in on mixed road/trail or hard pack it's my go to bike.

Edit: How about a Cannondale Bad boy? I think it has clearance for some larger tires.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jettore View Post
    I have a steel cross and love it for hard pack trail riding. It's fast and all day comfortable. I have it setup for a more relaxed upright cockpit and currently have 38c's on it. If I'm putting miles in on mixed road/trail or hard pack it's my go to bike.

Edit: How about a Cannondale Bad boy? I think it has clearance for some larger tires.
    Something about the Bad Boy that I really like. You can use really huge 26" tires on it if you have a second set of wheels. Then keep the stock set with 700C road tires. I believe you're limited to 700 X 38C if you get one of the Lefty versions.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    hey - I'm trying to get more bikes!
    You're going about this all wrong.

Don't fill another spot on the wall with a bike of that caliber, something far hotter will be along in a year or so (think fat bike) that needs that spot.

Got cash to burn? Take the wheel set you currently run, slap some hybrid or CX tires on it, and spend the $1500 or so on a really sick wheelset, maybe some Enve carbon rims or something?

Upgrade, don't just mindlessly fatten the herd....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    how about something like Salsa Fargo. it's a mtn bike, so it can handle whatever tire you want, rigid or hardtail, so not limited to towpaths. get an extra wheelset so you can go from hybrid to fattie.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Rode the Tour da Scranton this past weekend...

...I usually ride rigid singlespeed 29er in the dirt all the time, so I'm not much of a roadie at all, and riding singlespeed on the road just doesn't get me excited even with big gears...

...so I just swapped out the stock mtb wheels on my 2012 GT Karakoram, due to them being a bit wide for the skinny tires, the ones from my GT road bike went right in place. Yes, I have a road bike, but the mt bike is so much more natural for me. I will never get used to ram horn type h-bars, I'm a Moto guy and prefer moto style riding, plus the GT Karakoram "Road Warrior" conversion was the plan from the beginning. I like the feeling of a mt bike, so the GT Road Warrior look was born!

Worked great, rode fast, super brakes, and got lots of looks and comments...

If you didn't want to swap wheels use your stock mtb rims with 25mm tires!

Of course the other thing I already had installed on my GT was the steel rigid fork, but you could use your suspension fork locked out...

I have used this bike in Cyclo-X races and had a blast, and after the TDS, I swapped a pair of Cyclo-X wheels on and hit the less tech trails for another venue of fun!

Thanks for viewing...
    ...experiment for yourself
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails best hybrid? anyone make a 29er hybrid?-tds-4-29-12-001_900x900.jpg  

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Most hybrids are yucky.
    Build your own Surly Ogre and slap some Big Apple tires on it for the cushion.
    (Or buy a used Karate Monkey frame and fork to save money).
    Building your own bike is way more fun than buying one.
    You're welcome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ogre might be a decent choice, it's very flexible / cool.

As a local to C&O C'Dale dealer, it does sound like CX1 is right up your alley - the lower models are very popular for that sort of thing, since they afford a bit of comfort without being MTB slow; but keep in mind the 29er converted to slicks will be lighter... advantage of CX1 is the geometry being a bit more relaxed; how badly do you need that?
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am interested in this as well. Would like to throw some slicks on a Rockhopper (unpurchased) to tow my kid in a Weehoo.

Curious how it would perform.

I hate that name.
    If you're talking about 700c hybrids, then they're almost 29ers as they sit. Most of them have 700x35 or 38 tires, compared to a 2.1 29er tire which is actually 700x54ish. I use 700x47 Michelin Citys on my old Redline MC Flight for urban duty.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    The hardtail 29er with a fast set of tires is replacing the hybrid in a lot of cases. I'd rather a 29er with hybrid tires than a hybrid with 29er tires.
    Totally agree

mtbr member
    Marin Muriwoods 29er or Hamilton 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke013 View Post
    I am interested in this as well. Would like to throw some slicks on a Rockhopper (unpurchased) to tow my kid in a Weehoo.

Curious how it would perform.
    I commuted inNYC, did a lot of street riding and towed a kiddie trailer on my 26" wheeled Rockhopper for years with 1.95 Tioga City Slickers (So long ago I don't know if they even make them anymore!) and it performed very well. I could only imagine it would be better with 29" wheels, though if you're just using it for towing I'd get something with a rigid fork so you won't be bobbing when you're standing and mashing up hills with Jr. in tow.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    I commuted inNYC, did a lot of street riding and towed a kiddie trailer on my 26" wheeled Rockhopper for years with 1.95 Tioga City Slickers (So long ago I don't know if they even make them anymore!) and it performed very well. I could only imagine it would be better with 29" wheels, though if you're just using it for towing I'd get something with a rigid fork so you won't be bobbing when you're standing and mashing up hills with Jr. in tow.
    The Ogre is looking more and more likely.

mtbr member
    Check out the Jamis Coda. It's a steel flat bar road bike with a carbon fork. The high end version has disc brakes too. The geometry isn't that much different from their Dragon 29 mountain bike.
    He who dares....wins!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast