mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Best Beginner Hardtail 29er with air shocks????

Hello all,

I am as fresh as it comes to mountain biking and am looking for opinions on the best hardtail 29er with air shocks. I am very interested in the Trek Excalibur 9.....any thoughts. I do not want to go to cheap so I can keep for awhile before I want to upgrade to full suspension. Any thoughts would be very helpful! Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    salsa timberjack nx version. i am highly impressed. though i have swapped the rear wheel and i smashed my nx derailleur so i replaced with shimano xt der and shifter. bike has great geometry for a do it all bike. throw some sealant in it and roll!

mtbr member
    Trek Stache 5. SUPER fun bike. 3" tires are fun. can nearly roll over anything
    Like said already. Salsa Timberjack. I have only ridden on in the parking lot. But ended up buying a Stache.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I have an XCal9 (fist MTB) and I'd say the Salsa Timberjack NX or Trek Stache 5 (though 7 is nicer). In fact those two bikes are on my list for my next bike (Timberjack GX1 and Stache 5/7), if I stick with a hardtail (ETA 2019).

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Awesome ideas guys....I never thought of the salsa. I was looking at the stache as well as the 9 but was not sold on the plus tires. I may want to do a race or two and don't want to be slowed down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    2016 Raleigh Tekoa Comp comes with Suntour Raidon air fork. $549 shipped to your door if you can find the corporate coupon code. $679 regular sale price. Best deal I've ever seen but you can check out their other offerings as well.

https://www.raleighusa.com/tekoa-comp-2296

I got one last week and am blown away by how good of a bike it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    +1 on the BMC TE02 - I've had mine since mid February and I've hardly ridden my road bike since! I'm in love...

I'm also a newbie MTBer, transitioning from a Jake the Snake CX/ gravel bike. The front suspension and X1 gearing makes a world of difference in terms of control... highly recommend the 2017 model for ~$3K AUD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTB B'dos
    So you're a beginner and you think that anything about a PLUS setup is what will be keeping you back? Go do some research in the PLUS forum, you'll figure out that if anything running a PLUS HT will help you out. My voite, any HT with PLUS setup, Stache being prob top of the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duanev_46 View Post
    Awesome ideas guys....I never thought of the salsa. I was looking at the stache as well as the 9 but was not sold on the plus tires. I may want to do a race or two and don't want to be slowed down.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados

mtbr member
    ... am looking for opinions on the best hardtail 29er with air shocks...
    AFAIK, hardtails only have one, and its generally referred to as a fork.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Racing and being slowed down due to a plus size tire is a invalid statement.

If you have not ridden a 3" tire bike. Don't knock it yet.
    Yes the tires are big compared to your XC race bike at 2.20-2.40"
    But the roll over and traction is amazing. When the bike gets going, hold on cause that's all it wants to keep doing.

I just rode the race course I am racing this Saturday on my Stache 9.6. Can't feel the rock spots. climbs are stupid easy with it.

with the stache, you can also run 29er, 27.5+ set ups also.
    Last edited by brent701; 03-21-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Salsa is a great bike. Don't over look them for high name brand trek, giant, etc. I personally felt like I got a great deal of bike for the price I payed. I looked at similarly specd bikes and compared some prices for them and it seemed like the salsa was the best bang for my buck. Again before anyone jumps on me for "hating on big names" this is all jusst my personal opinion!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbnel5on View Post
    Salsa is a great bike. Don't over look them for high name brand trek, giant, etc. I personally felt like I got a great deal of bike for the price I payed. I looked at similarly specd bikes and compared some prices for them and it seemed like the salsa was the best bang for my buck. Again before anyone jumps on me for "hating on big names" this is all jusst my personal opinion!
    Not jumping on ya,
    But Salsa made the Timberjack at the price point for a reason. They also screwed the customers on the amount if Fat tire bikes and Timberjacks that were released. In the end it actually helped me with the Mukluk I got my wife.

But you also need to take into account warranty and local shops.
    Trek has a lifetime warranty. Salsa doesn't
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Great advice from all. I will really need to think about the plus size tires then. I did hear that its the new trend and has great advantages. Local shop is bringing a excal 9 for me to see on Wed. They have some staches in stock for me to see. I already got approved for the trek card so looks like that is the direction I am probably heading. The only other shop near me has the bmc and Specialized. I am not completely sold on the specialized and the bmc may be more than I want to spend right now. I am looking between 1000-2000 range.

mtbr member
    MTBR has a write up on the new Santa Cruz Chameleon, check that one out too.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Racing and being slowed down is a invalid statement.

If you have not ridden a 3" tire bike. Don't knock it yet.
    Yes the tires are big compared to your XC race bike at 2.20-2.40"
    But the roll over and traction is amazing. When the bike gets going, hold on cause that's all it wants to keep doing.

I just rode the race course I am racing this Saturday on my Stache 9.6. Can't feel the rock spots. climbs are stupid easy with it.

with the stache, you can also run 29er, 27.5+ set ups also.
    2.2 and especially 2.4" is big for a XC race bike. Going bigger than around 2.1" 2.2" starts to get noticably slower rolling and the benefits stop outweighing the downfalls. Fat tires have their benefits but speed is not one of them. I think everyone of us would roll on 3" plus tires if they werent so slow and heavy.
    OP, you may not want a full suspension after you see how fast a hardtail can move. A well built hardtail flys like a road bike on a trail.

mtbr member
    Great advice from all. I will really need to think about the plus size tires then. I did hear that its the new trend and has great advantages. Local shop is bringing a excal 9 for me to see on Wed. They have some staches in stock for me to see. I already got approved for the trek card so looks like that is the direction I am probably heading. The only other shop near me has the bmc and Specialized. I am not completely sold on the specialized and the bmc may be more than I want to spend right now. I am looking between 1000-2000 range.
    Ride the x-cal around in the parking lot.
    Ride the Stache around in the parking lot.
    That will at least give you a general sense of feeling on both bikes.
    Nothing will compare to a trail demo though. unless your LBS offers demo's
    Mine does but they are all Fuel EX 29er's

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    MTBR has a write up on the new Santa Cruz Chameleon, check that one out too.
    I read that. Sounds like a fun solid bike for the price.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigjunk1 View Post
    2.2 and especially 2.4" is big for a XC race bike. Going bigger than around 2.1" 2.2" starts to get noticably slower rolling and the benefits stop outweighing the downfalls. Fat tires have their benefits but speed is not one of them. I think everyone of us would roll on 3" plus tires if they werent so slow and heavy.
    OP, you may not want a full suspension after you see how fast a hardtail can move. A well built hardtail flys like a road bike on a trail.

I disagree to a point
    Tire size is more opinion related
    Lots of the fast guys are on 2.2-2.35 tires here

Yes in flat out surface when you are mashing. A true XC bike will have a faster speed. But not all race courses are flat. In AZ we have some fun race courses. Ssome good climbs. fun DH and some tech spots.

My XC bike is 8lbs lighter than my stache
    I wouldn't race my stache for our series.
    But I would race it in other events. Like whiskey off road
    Fire on the rim
    Old fashion

Which I am racing SS but using my stache wheels and tires for the 3" and fun times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Sorry for the nerdy clarification, but just so OP is familiar with terminology:

Hardtails, by definition, don't have "shocks." If your frame has a shock, it's no longer a hardtail. (Maybe Cannondale front suspension is the exception.) Most hardtails have a suspension fork, but calling a fork a "shock" is confusing to most riders.
    Get off my lawn! - read my bikenerd blog
    Niner ROS9 SS

MTB B'dos
    So, you've actually tried some PLUS configurations then to determine that they are slow and don't roll fast? Most people who aren't actually just repeating what they've read on the interwebz and have actually had time on PLUS setups will generally be singing a different tune, unless of course you're a full on Pro/Elite racer and forgive me if I'm not being supportive in thinking that a beginner is not going to have the skill and fitness of an Elite/Pro and those bigger tyres will help much more.

MTB Barbados

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    What's a trek card? Never bought one

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Treks financing they offer..12 months differed interest

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    [QUOTE=brent701;13092289]Ride the x-cal around in the parking lot.
    Ride the Stache around in the parking lot.
    That will at least give you a general sense of feeling on both bikes.
    Nothing will compare to a trail demo though.

I rode a 2016 Stache 7 in the parking lot and I was like damn it feels like a pig- rode on a trail- different story- was a lot faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Treks financing they offer..12 months differed interest
    Ohh! That's cool they do financing. Bikes can get expensive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    So, you've actually tried some PLUS configurations then to determine that they are slow and don't roll fast? Most people who aren't actually just repeating what they've read on the interwebz and have actually had time on PLUS setups will generally be singing a different tune, unless of course you're a full on Pro/Elite racer and forgive me if I'm not being supportive in thinking that a beginner is not going to have the skill and fitness of an Elite/Pro and those bigger tyres will help much more.
    I admittedly don't have a lot of time on fat tires. I have traded bikes a few times and rode trails with a fat bike( not sure what size), 2.5'' tires up to 3'' tires and could immediately tell with all of them that they were sluggish compared to the 2.2'' and 2.1'' I am use to. Bigger tires feel heavy, like I am pushing them along rather than cutting thru the dirt. To be fair I am so use to my bike that anything else feels a bit wrong to start with.
    I do see the appeal of big tires. They give a very stable, sturdy feel, but feel sluggish to me as well.

MTB B'dos
    Very curious, what's your bike, more specifically what wheels and tyres and what bikes and especially wheels/tyres did you try? Not all are created equal. The major benefit the offer for me is cushioning on the chatter so you don't have to be standing pretty much all the time like you would running skinny little 2.1" tyres riding a HT. Traction is definitely another big benefit, but not the reason I like them for.

I admittedly don't have a lot of time on fat tires. I have traded bikes a few times and rode trails with a fat bike( not sure what size), 2.5'' tires up to 3'' tires and could immediately tell with all of them that they were sluggish compared to the 2.2'' and 2.1'' I am use to. Bigger tires feel heavy, like I am pushing them along rather than cutting thru the dirt. To be fair I am so use to my bike that anything else feels a bit wrong to start with.
    I do see the appeal of big tires. They give a very stable, sturdy feel, but feel sluggish to me as well.
    MTB Barbados

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Alright so I went with the Trek Superfly 6. I ordered it on Sunday and its waiting at the bike shop! I can not wait! I will let you know how it rolls!