Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocket47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    150

    Best bang-for-your-buck carbon HT 29er

    Looking for some help finding a 29er hardtail carbon 29er with the best value. Some brands have much higher MSRP than another with similar packages and I'm wondering if there are any I'm missing. X.9 set up is fine with me so the entry level package on most of these brands is what I would be shooting for since I'm an upgrade junky and will sweeten it up over time. But some have RS Recon shocks and I would like to avoid going that low.

    Superfly
    Stumpjumper
    Cannondale Flash
    Giant XTC
    Scott Scale

    Others? Any no-name brand, bikesdirect type, options out there?

    I don't have time to build up a chinese carbon frame or I probably would.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocket47 View Post
    Looking for some help finding a 29er hardtail carbon 29er with the best value. Some brands have much higher MSRP than another with similar packages and I'm wondering if there are any I'm missing. X.9 set up is fine with me so the entry level package on most of these brands is what I would be shooting for since I'm an upgrade junky and will sweeten it up over time. But some have RS Recon shocks and I would like to avoid going that low.

    Superfly
    Stumpjumper
    Cannondale Flash
    Giant XTC
    Scott Scale

    Others? Any no-name brand, bikesdirect type, options out there?

    I don't have time to build up a chinese carbon frame or I probably would.

    Thanks
    For me>>>>canyon Grand Canyon cf slx 8.9

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocket47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    150
    @jos3ph4ever: Where do you get them? Order directly from the German site canyon.com?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    629
    I'd love to have me an Xtc advanced even the standard composite version would be nice. Giants geometry has always worked awesome for me. Most people seem to avoid looking at giants only because of the name. I'd also take a look at the niner bikes.

    Or you could always go with one of the Chinese carbon frames. They look rad. I'm kinda in the same situation as you but I'm trying to find a carbon full sus frame. I'm torn between giant and niner!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocket47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    150
    Niner carbon is pricey! Would love to have it but I can get more bang for less money with another brand.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,605
    If you ride a L, XL or XXL, th best deal on the planet right now is the Santa Cruz Highball at Competitive Cyclist for $995.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocket47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    150
    That is a great deal - but it's the frame only and I need a complete bike so I can start riding it immediately and upgrade later. That frame built up on competitive cyclist starts at $3800.

  8. #8
    Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    600
    I'm in the same boat - looking at all the available carbon 29 HT's.

    So far it really looks like Giant is the overall best bang for the buck. That Highball is pretty sweet, but my build came out to $4,599...ouch
    It wasn't me

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,916
    In the amount of time spent posting on here, you could buy that frame and build it up Just sayin'....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocket47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    150
    My experience in accumulating all the part I want my build to have, I've doubled what I would have spent buying a complete bike. If you have shopping secrets, please share.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    141
    Sette Razzo SC X0 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike-Gloss Black w/ Tungsten Silver at Price Point
    Have you looked at Pricepoint's Sette brand? Gotten some pretty favorable reviews...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocket47 View Post
    My experience in accumulating all the part I want my build to have, I've doubled what I would have spent buying a complete bike. If you have shopping secrets, please share.



    complete opposite IMO


    price point, performance, tree fort, bike nashbar, cambridge, bikewagon, ebay. all online sites that have sales and regular low prices. i always buy parts way in advance of building a bike to get really good prices. even stock pile parts like favorite brakes, cranks, seats, stems...etc.


    in regards to your original question, get a chinese frame and build it up. eben if you pay full price for parts you are ahead in $$$

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,916
    Complete opposite experience as well.

    Complete bikes, even high end (like an S-works Epic that I bought as a frame and built up) always have a bunch of parts that I don't want to run. They are usually cheap price point items... or a setback seat post (when I always run a non-offset), etc.

    Plus you can shop around and get exactly what you want. Otherwise I spend WAY more changint stuff around. But, I'm picky.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocket47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    150
    I always do a ton of changing parts out to fit my needs or to upgrade quality of just for some bling. So you may have a point that just doing my way from the beginning may turn out to be much cheaper in the long run.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    141
    An even better deal is the clearance X9 Carbon from pricepoint, if you can get it in your size. Too bad they didn't have it for me.
    Sette Razzo SC X9 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike - Gloss Black with Crimson Red at Price Point

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,605
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    complete opposite IMO

    price point, performance, tree fort, bike nashbar, cambridge, bikewagon, ebay. all online sites that have sales and regular low prices. i always buy parts way in advance of building a bike to get really good prices. even stock pile parts like favorite brakes, cranks, seats, stems...etc.
    ^^^ This ^^^ I just built up a carbon Tallboy LT and saved $1200+ building it up piece by piece with parts bought at Tree Fort, Comp Cyclist, Blue Sky Cycling and ebay.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonys102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    461
    I am seeing the Felt Nine 3 29er. Look like good spec, and under £2k from www.wiggle.co.uk... Stealthy too :-)
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

  18. #18
    fly on the wall
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by mavtek View Post
    Sette Razzo SC X0 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike-Gloss Black w/ Tungsten Silver at Price Point
    Have you looked at Pricepoint's Sette brand? Gotten some pretty favorable reviews...
    This was going to be my suggestion as well. This guy did an extensive 3 part review on a carbon Razzo.

    Sette Razzo XX Carbon 29er Review- Part one (initial impressions) | Tahoe Sux

    I only have the aluminum Razzo, which shares nothing with the carbon one except the name, but I can say that dealing with the vendor (pricepoint.com) was very pleasant.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocket47 View Post
    That is a great deal - but it's the frame only and I need a complete bike so I can start riding it immediately and upgrade later. That frame built up on competitive cyclist starts at $3800.
    It isnt that difficult and your bike shop will typically install everything for about 150.

    1) Order chinese 29er hardtail frame. Pay attention to the seat post size, head tube size (1 1/8 or tapered and get a frame that has a BSA bottom bracket shell, 68 or 73. Bottom
    brackets come with spacers so they will work with 68 or 73. Will take about 2 weeks to arrive and will cost 350-400 shipped
    2) order a chinese carbon wheelset, live with the novatec hubs. I believe the wheelset is $650, will take about two weeks to arrive. Make sure the axle types are compatible with the frame on the rear and with the fork you are buying.
    3 ) ebay has full shimano groups for decent prices. This will get you 90% of the way there. XT groups are about $900-$1K for 12 pieces (brakes and drivetrain). Make sure the front derailleur is a top swing. It has a better chance to fit. There is a chance you will need to get a different front derailleur (bottom swing) but they are cheap.
    4) order a fork that matches the head tube and has the right travel - $500
    5) order a headset that matches the head tube, this can be tricky I think the carbon frames are zero stack headsets so you may need to read the thread to find out what people got. Headset will be $25-40
    6) seat clamp, post and seat, make sure the clamp is the right size for the particular frame. Not all frames with the same seat post diameter have the same clamp size due to differing thickness of the tube itself. - around $150
    7) stem and handlebars - around $150
    8) grips - $30
    9) tires - $150

    $3K for high end components which should result in a very light bike.
    You can save about $500-$800 if you shop around.

    The fork can be $300 on sale
    seat post, seat and clamp can be around $75
    stem+bars can be around $50 for heavier components
    tires can be $80 total if you go with something like specialized ground control

    You can get the cost to $2K and about 3 weeks if you work hard. Especially right now since there are so many sales going on.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    141
    I disagree to some extent goodmojo, he can save himself a ton of time and effort by going the Sette route and just forking over $2k and getting high end components already built into the bike.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocket47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by mavtek View Post
    I disagree to some extent goodmojo, he can save himself a ton of time and effort by going the Sette route and just forking over $2k and getting high end components already built into the bike.
    Then doing some minor upgrading/customizing over time - like a delayed payment plan!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocket47 View Post
    @jos3ph4ever: Where do you get them? Order directly from the German site canyon.com?
    Yup,direct from canyon.

    Unfortunately the do not sell to America,Canada and Australia.

    The 8.9 cost around 2.5k which exactly same in the pictures I posted.

    I am waiting for mine,weeks 7 2013.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by mavtek View Post
    I disagree to some extent goodmojo, he can save himself a ton of time and effort by going the Sette route and just forking over $2k and getting high end components already built into the bike.
    the link above shows 2900, I would also need to change out the brakes. If it were 2K I would definitely do that

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    77
    Planet X Dirty Harry. Frame is on sale for $7xx. On my short list for a nice carbon HT 29er. The good people at Planet X (USA shop) will sell you one with a build kit.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,165
    The best value has to include the best performance. The Canyon cf might be a little more difficult to get but it has the engineering to go with the value. When you look around at the other offerings its pretty unique. Putting in the extra at the start you get to ride the benefits.

    Here's some of the engineering background--
    Canyon Presents 2013 CF SLX Carbon Hard Tail 29"ers





    .
    Last edited by eb1888; 12-18-2012 at 11:11 PM.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    the link above shows 2900, I would also need to change out the brakes. If it were 2K I would definitely do that
    I was referring to the X9 build of the Razzo which is the 2nd link I provided. It was the bike I was going to buy if they had it in a 19".
    Sette Razzo SC X9 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike - Gloss Black with Crimson Red at Price Point

  27. #27
    CS2
    CS2 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,734
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    It isnt that difficult and your bike shop will typically install everything for about 150.

    1) Order chinese 29er hardtail frame. Pay attention to the seat post size, head tube size (1 1/8 or tapered and get a frame that has a BSA bottom bracket shell, 68 or 73. Bottom
    brackets come with spacers so they will work with 68 or 73. Will take about 2 weeks to arrive and will cost 350-400 shipped
    2) order a chinese carbon wheelset, live with the novatec hubs. I believe the wheelset is $650, will take about two weeks to arrive. Make sure the axle types are compatible with the frame on the rear and with the fork you are buying.
    3 ) ebay has full shimano groups for decent prices. This will get you 90% of the way there. XT groups are about $900-$1K for 12 pieces (brakes and drivetrain). Make sure the front derailleur is a top swing. It has a better chance to fit. There is a chance you will need to get a different front derailleur (bottom swing) but they are cheap.
    4) order a fork that matches the head tube and has the right travel - $500
    5) order a headset that matches the head tube, this can be tricky I think the carbon frames are zero stack headsets so you may need to read the thread to find out what people got. Headset will be $25-40
    6) seat clamp, post and seat, make sure the clamp is the right size for the particular frame. Not all frames with the same seat post diameter have the same clamp size due to differing thickness of the tube itself. - around $150
    7) stem and handlebars - around $150
    8) grips - $30
    9) tires - $150

    $3K for high end components which should result in a very light bike.
    You can save about $500-$800 if you shop around.

    The fork can be $300 on sale
    seat post, seat and clamp can be around $75
    stem+bars can be around $50 for heavier components
    tires can be $80 total if you go with something like specialized ground control

    You can get the cost to $2K and about 3 weeks if you work hard. Especially right now since there are so many sales going on.
    Most Giant dealers are blowing XTC's for $2K or slightly higher. Why spend the same on a no name Chinese bike without a warranty?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daponik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    89
    +2 on going with Giant. I got the 2013 XTC Advanced 1 with a SLX//XT mix drivetrain and SLX brakes. The Shimano drivetrain and Racing Ralph tires with the Fox fork absolutely sold it for me. I love this bike. Got an awesome deal from my LBS for only $1,850.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Most Giant dealers are blowing XTC's for $2K or slightly higher. Why spend the same on a no name Chinese bike without a warranty?
    1) the frames do have a warranty
    2) when specd the same the giant isnt 2K
    a) for example I specd carbon wheels
    b) all xt components

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,151
    Quote Originally Posted by mavtek View Post
    I was referring to the X9 build of the Razzo which is the 2nd link I provided. It was the bike I was going to buy if they had it in a 19".
    Sette Razzo SC X9 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike - Gloss Black with Crimson Red at Price Point
    I saw that afterwards, the 2K one is a good deal. The component spec is pretty good although not as good as the XT that I listed above. The chinese carbon I think is still about 1K cheaper if you get heavier saddle, bars, seatpost (i.e. cheaper) and get a good deal on a fork.

    I did just recommend it to a friend that wouldnt even be able to buy the right components.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: idaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    488
    On-One has a couple of offerings I'd look at. Frame only for $750, see: On-One Lurcher Carbon Hardtail 29er Frame Complete bike just under $2K.
    There's also a race bike frame at $625, On-One Carbon Race 29er Frame
    Cheers,
    M

  32. #32
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,802
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Most Giant dealers are blowing XTC's for $2K or slightly higher. Why spend the same on a no name Chinese bike without a warranty?
    they actually have a pretty great warranty. Alot of the times you don't even have to send something back, they just send you another one!

    Have you seen the giant xtc advanced thread where the chainstays crack/fold in 2? More than one person has that crease, looks sketchy, and giant leaves them w/o warranty.



    OP, best bang for the buck has to be the chinese carbon. You won't touch anything near it for the price. Pretty good selection of geo, they're fairly light, and great customer service. Plus there isn't a price difference if you want to go BB30/Tapered/Internal Routing/etc. I've ridden a niner a9c/rdo, sette carbon, cdale flash, and a few others...the chinese is right there with them. It's a love/hate relationship, some people really despise them, some people outright love them.

    But if you're truly looking for best bang for the buck, and can add in a week or two of watching ebay auctions and sniping craigslist deals, you won't find anything close to it. For your budget, you could easily have a podium machine race bike.

  33. #33
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,797
    But what is the ride quality of the Chinese carbon frames over the name-brand ones?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sprocket47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    150
    And where do people get the Chinese carbon frames. I've only seen them on ebay - is that the place to go or are there websites that carry them as well?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    83
    Just search google for...

    LT Bikes
    Hongfu
    Flyxii

    Or search through the Carbon 29er thread...

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    15
    You should be able to pick up a 2012 left over carbon cannondale flash for under two grand, I just got one earlier this fall for 1900 Out the door. A different used wheelset, bling ring 1x10 and a couple lightweight parts left me with a 20 and a half pound bike for about 2,500 bucks. The lefty is pretty sweet....
    2012 Carbon Flash
    2012 Epic
    2011 Anthem X

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AlleganyBicycleShop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    37
    I would test ride as many as you can so you can see the difference in quality and ride. Some shops will switch out parts for you and you just pay the difference. We do it all the time. There are great deals on last years versions and most of the time it is only the color that is different. We have our 2013 Giant XTC Composites on sale for $1700 and that is the same sale price as our 2012 version. Test riding is the way to go though.

    I have The 2013 Giant XTC and it is very light, stiff and fast. It handles great and climbs like a goat. Very impressive ride. The frame and fork are very nice and the parts are ok. You can always trade them in at the store and get x9 for about $100 more. It's worth checking out.

    That Canyon looks sweet!! I would love to have that. That brand was big when I was in Frieburg, Germany a couple years ago. Very nice bikes.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,165
    I would like to buy the Canyon too. But I just need a frame and they want more right now direct sale than the cost through my lbs of a Scott Scale 910. The logic is off for me;
    There is another good deal on a complete at Performance for $999.99
    Access Stealth LTD 29er Mountain Bike - 29er Mountain Bikes
    No 17 at the warehouse but my local Performance has one at the same price.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •