Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best bang-for-your-buck carbon HT 29er

Looking for some help finding a 29er hardtail carbon 29er with the best value. Some brands have much higher MSRP than another with similar packages and I'm wondering if there are any I'm missing. X.9 set up is fine with me so the entry level package on most of these brands is what I would be shooting for since I'm an upgrade junky and will sweeten it up over time. But some have RS Recon shocks and I would like to avoid going that low.

Superfly
    Stumpjumper
    Cannondale Flash
    Giant XTC
    Scott Scale

Others? Any no-name brand, bikesdirect type, options out there?

I don't have time to build up a chinese carbon frame or I probably would.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocket47 View Post
    Looking for some help finding a 29er hardtail carbon 29er with the best value. Some brands have much higher MSRP than another with similar packages and I'm wondering if there are any I'm missing. X.9 set up is fine with me so the entry level package on most of these brands is what I would be shooting for since I'm an upgrade junky and will sweeten it up over time. But some have RS Recon shocks and I would like to avoid going that low.

Superfly
    Stumpjumper
    Cannondale Flash
    Giant XTC
    Scott Scale

Others? Any no-name brand, bikesdirect type, options out there?

I don't have time to build up a chinese carbon frame or I probably would.

Thanks
    For me>>>>canyon Grand Canyon cf slx 8.9

mtbr member
    @jos3ph4ever: Where do you get them? Order directly from the German site canyon.com?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'd love to have me an Xtc advanced even the standard composite version would be nice. Giants geometry has always worked awesome for me. Most people seem to avoid looking at giants only because of the name. I'd also take a look at the niner bikes.

Or you could always go with one of the Chinese carbon frames. They look rad. I'm kinda in the same situation as you but I'm trying to find a carbon full sus frame. I'm torn between giant and niner!

mtbr member
    Niner carbon is pricey! Would love to have it but I can get more bang for less money with another brand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you ride a L, XL or XXL, th best deal on the planet right now is the Santa Cruz Highball at Competitive Cyclist for $995.

mtbr member
    That is a great deal - but it's the frame only and I need a complete bike so I can start riding it immediately and upgrade later. That frame built up on competitive cyclist starts at $3800.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    I'm in the same boat - looking at all the available carbon 29 HT's.

So far it really looks like Giant is the overall best bang for the buck. That Highball is pretty sweet, but my build came out to $4,599...ouch
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    In the amount of time spent posting on here, you could buy that frame and build it up Just sayin'....

mtbr member
    My experience in accumulating all the part I want my build to have, I've doubled what I would have spent buying a complete bike. If you have shopping secrets, please share.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sette Razzo SC X0 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike-Gloss Black w/ Tungsten Silver at Price Point
    Have you looked at Pricepoint's Sette brand? Gotten some pretty favorable reviews...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My experience in accumulating all the part I want my build to have, I've doubled what I would have spent buying a complete bike. If you have shopping secrets, please share.

complete opposite IMO

price point, performance, tree fort, bike nashbar, cambridge, bikewagon, ebay. all online sites that have sales and regular low prices. i always buy parts way in advance of building a bike to get really good prices. even stock pile parts like favorite brakes, cranks, seats, stems...etc.

in regards to your original question, get a chinese frame and build it up. eben if you pay full price for parts you are ahead in $$$

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Complete opposite experience as well.

Complete bikes, even high end (like an S-works Epic that I bought as a frame and built up) always have a bunch of parts that I don't want to run. They are usually cheap price point items... or a setback seat post (when I always run a non-offset), etc.

Plus you can shop around and get exactly what you want. Otherwise I spend WAY more changint stuff around. But, I'm picky.

mtbr member
    I always do a ton of changing parts out to fit my needs or to upgrade quality of just for some bling. So you may have a point that just doing my way from the beginning may turn out to be much cheaper in the long run.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    An even better deal is the clearance X9 Carbon from pricepoint, if you can get it in your size. Too bad they didn't have it for me.
    Sette Razzo SC X9 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike - Gloss Black with Crimson Red at Price Point

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    complete opposite IMO

price point, performance, tree fort, bike nashbar, cambridge, bikewagon, ebay. all online sites that have sales and regular low prices. i always buy parts way in advance of building a bike to get really good prices. even stock pile parts like favorite brakes, cranks, seats, stems...etc.
    ^^^ This ^^^ I just built up a carbon Tallboy LT and saved $1200+ building it up piece by piece with parts bought at Tree Fort, Comp Cyclist, Blue Sky Cycling and ebay.

mtbr member
    I am seeing the Felt Nine 3 29er. Look like good spec, and under 2k from www.wiggle.co.uk... Stealthy too :-)
    Building: ​Boardman 2010 HT Pro
    Current Joy: '11 Giant Anthem X
    Previous Joy: '09 Commencal Meta 5 VIP

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mavtek View Post
    Sette Razzo SC X0 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike-Gloss Black w/ Tungsten Silver at Price Point
    Have you looked at Pricepoint's Sette brand? Gotten some pretty favorable reviews...
    This was going to be my suggestion as well. This guy did an extensive 3 part review on a carbon Razzo.

Sette Razzo XX Carbon 29er Review- Part one (initial impressions) | Tahoe Sux

I only have the aluminum Razzo, which shares nothing with the carbon one except the name, but I can say that dealing with the vendor (pricepoint.com) was very pleasant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That is a great deal - but it's the frame only and I need a complete bike so I can start riding it immediately and upgrade later. That frame built up on competitive cyclist starts at $3800.
    It isnt that difficult and your bike shop will typically install everything for about 150.

1) Order chinese 29er hardtail frame. Pay attention to the seat post size, head tube size (1 1/8 or tapered and get a frame that has a BSA bottom bracket shell, 68 or 73. Bottom
    brackets come with spacers so they will work with 68 or 73. Will take about 2 weeks to arrive and will cost 350-400 shipped
    2) order a chinese carbon wheelset, live with the novatec hubs. I believe the wheelset is $650, will take about two weeks to arrive. Make sure the axle types are compatible with the frame on the rear and with the fork you are buying.
    3 ) ebay has full shimano groups for decent prices. This will get you 90% of the way there. XT groups are about $900-$1K for 12 pieces (brakes and drivetrain). Make sure the front derailleur is a top swing. It has a better chance to fit. There is a chance you will need to get a different front derailleur (bottom swing) but they are cheap.
    4) order a fork that matches the head tube and has the right travel - $500
    5) order a headset that matches the head tube, this can be tricky I think the carbon frames are zero stack headsets so you may need to read the thread to find out what people got. Headset will be $25-40
    6) seat clamp, post and seat, make sure the clamp is the right size for the particular frame. Not all frames with the same seat post diameter have the same clamp size due to differing thickness of the tube itself. - around $150
    7) stem and handlebars - around $150
    8) grips - $30
    9) tires - $150

$3K for high end components which should result in a very light bike.
    You can save about $500-$800 if you shop around.

The fork can be $300 on sale
    seat post, seat and clamp can be around $75
    stem+bars can be around $50 for heavier components
    tires can be $80 total if you go with something like specialized ground control

You can get the cost to $2K and about 3 weeks if you work hard. Especially right now since there are so many sales going on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I disagree to some extent goodmojo, he can save himself a ton of time and effort by going the Sette route and just forking over $2k and getting high end components already built into the bike.

mtbr member
    I disagree to some extent goodmojo, he can save himself a ton of time and effort by going the Sette route and just forking over $2k and getting high end components already built into the bike.
    Then doing some minor upgrading/customizing over time - like a delayed payment plan!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    @jos3ph4ever: Where do you get them? Order directly from the German site canyon.com?
    Yup,direct from canyon.

Unfortunately the do not sell to America,Canada and Australia.

The 8.9 cost around 2.5k which exactly same in the pictures I posted.

I am waiting for mine,weeks 7 2013.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    the link above shows 2900, I would also need to change out the brakes. If it were 2K I would definitely do that

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Planet X Dirty Harry. Frame is on sale for $7xx. On my short list for a nice carbon HT 29er. The good people at Planet X (USA shop) will sell you one with a build kit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The best value has to include the best performance. The Canyon cf might be a little more difficult to get but it has the engineering to go with the value. When you look around at the other offerings its pretty unique. Putting in the extra at the start you get to ride the benefits.

Here's some of the engineering background--
    Canyon Presents 2013 CF SLX Carbon Hard Tail 29"ers

Last edited by eb1888; 12-18-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast