Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    the link above shows 2900, I would also need to change out the brakes. If it were 2K I would definitely do that
    I was referring to the X9 build of the Razzo which is the 2nd link I provided. It was the bike I was going to buy if they had it in a 19".
    Sette Razzo SC X9 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike - Gloss Black with Crimson Red at Price Point

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    It isnt that difficult and your bike shop will typically install everything for about 150.

1) Order chinese 29er hardtail frame. Pay attention to the seat post size, head tube size (1 1/8 or tapered and get a frame that has a BSA bottom bracket shell, 68 or 73. Bottom
    brackets come with spacers so they will work with 68 or 73. Will take about 2 weeks to arrive and will cost 350-400 shipped
    2) order a chinese carbon wheelset, live with the novatec hubs. I believe the wheelset is $650, will take about two weeks to arrive. Make sure the axle types are compatible with the frame on the rear and with the fork you are buying.
    3 ) ebay has full shimano groups for decent prices. This will get you 90% of the way there. XT groups are about $900-$1K for 12 pieces (brakes and drivetrain). Make sure the front derailleur is a top swing. It has a better chance to fit. There is a chance you will need to get a different front derailleur (bottom swing) but they are cheap.
    4) order a fork that matches the head tube and has the right travel - $500
    5) order a headset that matches the head tube, this can be tricky I think the carbon frames are zero stack headsets so you may need to read the thread to find out what people got. Headset will be $25-40
    6) seat clamp, post and seat, make sure the clamp is the right size for the particular frame. Not all frames with the same seat post diameter have the same clamp size due to differing thickness of the tube itself. - around $150
    7) stem and handlebars - around $150
    8) grips - $30
    9) tires - $150

$3K for high end components which should result in a very light bike.
    You can save about $500-$800 if you shop around.

The fork can be $300 on sale
    seat post, seat and clamp can be around $75
    stem+bars can be around $50 for heavier components
    tires can be $80 total if you go with something like specialized ground control

You can get the cost to $2K and about 3 weeks if you work hard. Especially right now since there are so many sales going on.
    Most Giant dealers are blowing XTC's for $2K or slightly higher. Why spend the same on a no name Chinese bike without a warranty?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    +2 on going with Giant. I got the 2013 XTC Advanced 1 with a SLX//XT mix drivetrain and SLX brakes. The Shimano drivetrain and Racing Ralph tires with the Fox fork absolutely sold it for me. I love this bike. Got an awesome deal from my LBS for only $1,850.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Most Giant dealers are blowing XTC's for $2K or slightly higher. Why spend the same on a no name Chinese bike without a warranty?
    1) the frames do have a warranty
    2) when specd the same the giant isnt 2K
    a) for example I specd carbon wheels
    b) all xt components

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mavtek View Post
    I was referring to the X9 build of the Razzo which is the 2nd link I provided. It was the bike I was going to buy if they had it in a 19".
    Sette Razzo SC X9 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike - Gloss Black with Crimson Red at Price Point
    I saw that afterwards, the 2K one is a good deal. The component spec is pretty good although not as good as the XT that I listed above. The chinese carbon I think is still about 1K cheaper if you get heavier saddle, bars, seatpost (i.e. cheaper) and get a good deal on a fork.

I did just recommend it to a friend that wouldnt even be able to buy the right components.

mtbr member
    On-One has a couple of offerings I'd look at. Frame only for $750, see: On-One Lurcher Carbon Hardtail 29er Frame Complete bike just under $2K.
    There's also a race bike frame at $625, On-One Carbon Race 29er Frame
    Cheers,
    M

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    they actually have a pretty great warranty. Alot of the times you don't even have to send something back, they just send you another one!

Have you seen the giant xtc advanced thread where the chainstays crack/fold in 2? More than one person has that crease, looks sketchy, and giant leaves them w/o warranty.

OP, best bang for the buck has to be the chinese carbon. You won't touch anything near it for the price. Pretty good selection of geo, they're fairly light, and great customer service. Plus there isn't a price difference if you want to go BB30/Tapered/Internal Routing/etc. I've ridden a niner a9c/rdo, sette carbon, cdale flash, and a few others...the chinese is right there with them. It's a love/hate relationship, some people really despise them, some people outright love them.

But if you're truly looking for best bang for the buck, and can add in a week or two of watching ebay auctions and sniping craigslist deals, you won't find anything close to it. For your budget, you could easily have a podium machine race bike.

mtbr member
    But what is the ride quality of the Chinese carbon frames over the name-brand ones?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    And where do people get the Chinese carbon frames. I've only seen them on ebay - is that the place to go or are there websites that carry them as well?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just search google for...

LT Bikes
    Hongfu
    Flyxii

Or search through the Carbon 29er thread...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You should be able to pick up a 2012 left over carbon cannondale flash for under two grand, I just got one earlier this fall for 1900 Out the door. A different used wheelset, bling ring 1x10 and a couple lightweight parts left me with a 20 and a half pound bike for about 2,500 bucks. The lefty is pretty sweet....
    2012 Carbon Flash
    2012 Epic
    2011 Anthem X

mtbr member
    I would test ride as many as you can so you can see the difference in quality and ride. Some shops will switch out parts for you and you just pay the difference. We do it all the time. There are great deals on last years versions and most of the time it is only the color that is different. We have our 2013 Giant XTC Composites on sale for $1700 and that is the same sale price as our 2012 version. Test riding is the way to go though.

I have The 2013 Giant XTC and it is very light, stiff and fast. It handles great and climbs like a goat. Very impressive ride. The frame and fork are very nice and the parts are ok. You can always trade them in at the store and get x9 for about $100 more. It's worth checking out.

That Canyon looks sweet!! I would love to have that. That brand was big when I was in Frieburg, Germany a couple years ago. Very nice bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would like to buy the Canyon too. But I just need a frame and they want more right now direct sale than the cost through my lbs of a Scott Scale 910. The logic is off for me;
    There is another good deal on a complete at Performance for $999.99
    Access Stealth LTD 29er Mountain Bike - 29er Mountain Bikes
    No 17 at the warehouse but my local Performance has one at the same price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2