Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Is this the best bang/buck for a $1000ish Hardtail 29er?

Long time lurker, first time poster. I conducted a search and haven't found much.

I'm finally ready to purchase a re-entry into MTB ride. I used to spend hours and hours on trails in my neighborhood as a kid, and because I really hate running and really love anything on wheels, I have decided to get back into MTB riding.

I'm not into brands/labels as much as I am quality and value. I realize that I'm not going to get a quality USA-made frame in my price range. I can't seem to find a better 'most bang for your buck' deal than the Moto Fantom 29Elite for $999 shipped.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29Elite

Can anyone talk me out of it?

Happy shredding,

Brad

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know folks with Motobecanes and they are fine bikes and a good value. Are you sure of your size?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'll sell you my slightly used El Mariachi for a similar price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    I know folks with Motobecanes and they are fine bikes and a good value. Are you sure of your size?
    I am about 5'7, 145-150lbs. According to the 'shove a book in your crotch and measure where it hits the wall' method, my inseam is about 30.75". I guess that sort of puts me between sizes-- although I've read it is better to size down. Yes?

The Airborne Guardian is an interesting choice as well, at only $675 shipped + pedals. I'd probably end up upgrading the FD and the fork at some point down the road, but it's a really good value as well. The Goblin is a bit too much at over $1300 including shipping and pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The new XC Gold fork that Rock Shox announced looks awesome for this sort of build. Might be worth trying to get ahold of one.

mtbr member
    Put the Trek Cobia on your list. Picked up mine for $1050. 10 speed drivetrain and Recon Air Shock. Great bike.

My road bike is from Bike Directs. They are a good value.

Rogue Exterminator
    Both bikesdirect and airborne are good values.
    Have some wrenching skills for when it arrives/

The Morobecane is specked out much nicer than the Guardian.
    Airborne also has the Goblin for $1200 which has nicer components than the Motobecane.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    Put the Trek Cobia on your list. Picked up mine for $1050. 10 speed drivetrain and Recon Air Shock. Great bike.

My road bike is from Bike Directs. They are a good value.
    The Cobia has the Recon fork and 10spd drivetrain, but has a X5 RD and elixir1 brakes. I wonder if I'd find similar prices compared to their $1200 MSRP.

The Gravity 29.4 [that I somehow just discovered on bikesdirect] has the recon fork, 10spd drivetrain, but X9 RD and elixir3 brakes for $899... but after a bit of googling, is it true that the Recon fork also comes in a spring version? I guess if it doesn't say air, it is spring..? That's annoying. Haha.

In the specs list for the Moto Fantom29 Elite it says 'ROCKSHOX RECON SILVER TK29 SOLO AIR 29" QR 100mm LongTravel W/External rebound and TurnKey lockout'.

Rogue Exterminator
    If $1200 is your range this is probably the most nicely spec bike for $1200 or less.

Airborne Bicycles. Goblin

You are kind of all over the board though in your shopping.
    Figure out what you want to spend and go from there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    If $1200 is your range this is probably the most nicely spec bike for $1200 or less.

Airborne Bicycles. Goblin

You are kind of all over the board though in your shopping.
    Figure out what you want to spend and go from there.
    I'd really like to be under $1000 when its all said and done. The Fantom29 Elite is right there on the nose. It has the DynaSYS transmission, Recon Air fork, Elixir3 brakes. It wouldn't really need any upgrades out the box aside from maybe pedals and saddle.

Even with all the floundering I'm doing, I still can't seem to find a better deal than that for the price. The Gravity 29.4 would be nice if I could easily convert the fork from spring to Air. It has X9/X7 10spd and the recon [I assume spring] fork. Is that possible? Sorry for the noob question there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    REI has a 20% off sale on the 999 Ponderosa with a Suntour Raidon air fork and X7 drive. 800 plus $20 membership if needed.
    Novara Ponderosa 29er Bike - 2013 at REI.com

Rogue Exterminator
    I have not heard much good or bad about Novara but I will say that nobody beats REI's customer service. Some places may match it but nobody will beat their lifetime satisfaction guarantee. That being said, if you have an REI near you, I would say go for it. If you are not satisfied with the bike, they will give you a full refund no questions asked and you can get something else from them or someplace else.

For $800 that bike is nicely equipped.

mtbr member
    Check this out too. Weight is very respectable for a 29er. And the wheelset could likely be made tubeless.

Sette Razzo X7 10 Speed 29er Alloy Mountain Bike | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    REI has a 20% off sale on the 999 Ponderosa with a Suntour Raidon air fork and X7 drive. 800 plus $20 membership if needed.
    Novara Ponderosa 29er Bike - 2013 at REI.com
    Agreed.....I went to look at one at a local store and it was very nice....

reading comprehension wat
    How about this BMC Team Elite TE29 SLX from Backcountry for $1200? Lifetime returns. Good name brand, good parts, good geo, good looking, and good price. Only in large though.

BMC Team Elite TE29/Shimano SLX Complete Bike - 2012 | Backcountry.com

Size ST ETT Stack Reach HT HA SA CS BB Drop
    Large 21.1in
    (53.6cm)
    25.2in
    (64.0cm)
    24.8in
    (63.0cm)
    17.7in
    (45.0cm)
    4.33in
    (11.0cm)
    70.0 deg 73.0 deg 16.9in
    (42.9cm)
    2.25in
    (5.7cm)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    How about this BMC Team Elite TE29 SLX from Backcountry for $1200? Lifetime returns. Good name brand, good parts, good geo, good looking, and good price. Only in large though.

BMC Team Elite TE29/Shimano SLX Complete Bike - 2012 | Backcountry.com

Size ST ETT Stack Reach HT HA SA CS BB Drop
    Large 21.1in
    (53.6cm)
    25.2in
    (64.0cm)
    24.8in
    (63.0cm)
    17.7in
    (45.0cm)
    4.33in
    (11.0cm)
    70.0 deg 73.0 deg 16.9in
    (42.9cm)
    2.25in
    (5.7cm)
    That bike is sweet!!!! Great components and looks tight.....why no XL size????

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Keep an eye on your local Craigslist too, there are some good deals to be had out there.

I picked up this for less than $800 and it was practically brand new.

SRAM XO, 2x10 Speed 29er Carbon Fiber Front Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2013 Windsor C29 Team29er | SRAM XX hardtail mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles

Todd

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    One more suggestion, if this will fit you, they have small still available and it has awesome components!!!! And I believe the REBA is the Dual air version.

2011 Fuji Tahoe 29er 1.0 Hardtail Mountain Bike - Mountain Bikes - Complete Bikes - Shop by Item - Bikewagon

Todd

mtbr member
    Not a fan of motobecanes, Windsors or their Gravity lines. i have ridden them and hated everything about them. They geometetry is way off, they don't handle well and have many structural problems. The sales guy even tried to tell me it was the same exact bike as a Giant or Specialized but with a different sticker. They can sell them for less because they don't advertise like the big companies, but it was the same bike! What a crock of poo!! They aren't even close to any other brand except their own!
    My suggestion is go rideone, then test ride a few others in the same price range from Cannondale, giant, Specialized, niner, etc and feel the difference. I sold my Giant XTC composite 3 and replaced it with the $1000 Giant Talon 29er 0. I figured at almost half the price I could save the money for a nice set of road racing wells since my real passion is the road. I would rather have a new pair of Zipp Firecrest 404's then a carbon frame that gets ridden only a few times a year while the Zipp 404 will get thusands of miles..

Try other brands besides what is sold at Bikesdirect.com or Cycle Spectrum (same company, same guy) and you will be so glad you did!

just my thought's... oh and I love the Giant Talon 29er 0. Fast, light, and handles great. I was shocked at how nice it was for the price. best money move I made all year... well, so far.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey guys, I am a long time lurker of the board but had to chime in here with my first post. Brad - my story is right in line with yours. Over 10 years ago I received my first Schwinn hardtail (about $700 at the time) and have continued to shred it every year (even though the frame is 2 sizes too small for me lol). Don't mean to hijack your thread here but I am getting ready to purchase a new bike around the $1000 mark as well. I had my heart set on a Trek Mamba but then started reading this board and the Airborne Goblin really caught my eye for $1199 (plus shipping/pedals/assembly if needed). My problem arose after reading more into the 'all mountain' forum where the more agressive frame/geo/shock seems like something I am extremely interested in. My question to the posters in this thread - Is it even worth looking for an 'all mountain' setup with a budget of around $1300 max? I live in Missouri and the trails are mostly rocky singletrack with some techy sections as well. Not really any DH/extreme terrain so thinking the XC style would still tackle everything I threw at it. Also came across the Kona Taro for $1299 which is considered 'all mountain' but has low end components compared to what I could get on the Goblin. Let me know if any of you guys have any input!

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Theres a lot of online ordering on this thread. Make sure to figure in a visit to your LBS to remedy any derailleur or brake adjustment issues if youre not mechanically inclined. I have read some posts where they were adjusted properly from the store but also had an experience on my own bike where my FD cable slipped out of my FD and had to have the LBS fix it. They adjusted both for ~$15. Havent had any problems since. I do like that Fuji posted up there. NOS FTW!
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Here's another good buy (IMHO) in that same price range: 2013 Charge Cooker Hi Mountain Bike - 29er Mountain Bikes

Steel frame, Elixer 5 brakes, Sram X5/X7 drive train, Recon Silver (wish it was a Gold), WTB i19 wheels (supposedly includes tape and valves to go tubeless).
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am also interested in the same ~1000.00 price. Haven't seen any name brands. I bought a hardrock 29er two years ago and the frame quality is apparent junk. Flexes and causes "ghost shifts". I have been looking at the Giant XTC composite 3? Is there any problem with frame flex on the goblin, or motobecane? so many bikes have been mentioned with no clear winner? I would rather have a good frame than pay for good compnents on a junk frame. (thought on the Giant XTC compostie 3??) so many choices!
    Last edited by Tubulargoose; 03-24-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    This was my budget too, although I could have bought almost anything I wanted in the $3,000 range. The reason I stayed to the$1,000 range was that it was going to be my first 29er and i wasnt sure if i was going to like it as I'm not a big person and had never ridden the 29. So what did I do?

I bought the Airborne Goblin. This bike fits me like a glove (18"). Why?

Like I said, I went to four different Lbs in my area ready to spend up to $3,000 and none of them were very helpful in helping me find a bike. So the hell with them.

I read up on the Goblin, read some reviews, researched the part group, and pulled the trigger. Three days later I put it together. If you have an allen wrench set, you'll be fine.

Now, i did have to dial in the rear derailleur, but that was a couple of youtube videos and a screwdriver. Now I have a great bike, that is of super high quality, fast and lightweight. Don't be afraid of mail order, just do your research.

Just my $.02
    2013 Rocky Mountain Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    I read up on the Goblin, read some reviews, researched the part group, and pulled the trigger. Three days later I put it together. If you have an allen wrench set, you'll be fine.
    I researched the Goblin hard out, if I could have gotten one to New Zealand for reasonable cost that's what I would've got. Great deal, awesome looking bike.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast