mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Best AM 29er wheels for $400?

So I need some wheels for my Nimble 9 and I'm going with 15mm thru front and 135 QR rear. I'm 220lbs geared up with camelback and lift serviced moderate downhill runs with 3-4' drops would respresent the rougher end of my riding (so far). Like everyone else I want light weight and strong but with my budget I guess I probably can only choose one so strong it is. I have few options in mind.

1) stans flow stock wheels with stan's hubs for $450 on ebay. They are probably lighter than my other options. I'd like to spend less but if you say they're really awsome I can spring for it.

2) Canfield wheels, but they're out of the 15mm QR ones.

3) Have my buddy who owns a shop and is a great wheel builder build some with maybe wtb dual duty rims and whatever good budget hubs you all suggest. There are so many different ones its overwhelming sometimes.

4) Look for some Bontrager mustang wheels. I've run these for years on my SS with no problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    oops, mods feel free to move to 29er components, sorry

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If your buddy owns a shop and is a great wheel builder, I imagine he could build you up a pretty sweet wheelset for the price of option #1. If not, add Sun Charger Pro's to your list. Great bomber wheelset with the ability to run 9/15/20mm up front and 135 or 142 out back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biopace View Post
    If your buddy owns a shop and is a great wheel builder, I imagine he could build you up a pretty sweet wheelset for the price of option #1. If not, add Sun Charger Pro's to your list. Great bomber wheelset with the ability to run 9/15/20mm up front and 135 or 142 out back.
    I thought of recommending the SUN Ringlé as I have a set of Charger Pros. Great wheelset but are a bit out of " WVJon75s" budget. The Charger Expert could be had for about $450.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks biopace. I just went to my friend at the lbs and we crunched some numbers on building wheels. By the time the dust settled I had ordered the Stans flows through him.

mtbr member
    Sun-Ringle Charger Experts over here. Bombproof wheelset for trail/All-Mountain duties, and relatively cheap, I paid $300 for mine last year. Love em!

mtbr member
    Anyone gone tubeless with the Charger wheelsets? And if so, can you seat the tires with a floor pump?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I got in on one of the CRC charger experts last year. Running them tubeless. I was able to get my Maxxis Icons up with a floor pump. On Specialized Captains now and I could get one up with an extra set of hands but couldn't get the other up for some reason. I didn't try real hard though and the tires were fresh out of the package and creased.

Decent wheelset. Had to get them trued up a bit and had to have the freehub tightened.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Kore Durox 2 29 wheels have been getting some good feedback and they are $323 at Chain Reaction with free shipping. They also have $50 off a $250 order too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Anyone gone tubeless with the Charger wheelsets? And if so, can you seat the tires with a floor pump?
    Mine were setup tubeless from the get-go, everything was included and my Ardents mounted just fine. And this was my first season ever without a single flat!

mtbr member
    Love Stan's rims hate their stock 3.30 hubs and spokes. I got less than 8 months out of a set before the free wheel disintegrated and the spokes melted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gulljammer View Post
    Love Stan's rims hate their stock 3.30 hubs and spokes. I got less than 8 months out of a set before the free wheel disintegrated and the spokes melted.
    I have the total opposite experience with Stan's wheels with their hubs. I got two sets about 2.5 years ago, and both are still going strong. One set is single speed and the other is geared. I have at least a few thousand miles on each set. Both are Arches. I currently weigh about 195, but I was 235 for over a year of riding them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    I have the total opposite experience with Stan's wheels with their hubs. I got two sets about 2.5 years ago, and both are still going strong. One set is single speed and the other is geared. I have at least a few thousand miles on each set. Both are Arches. I currently weigh about 195, but I was 235 for over a year of riding them.
    I guess mine where built on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    what hub/spoke combo did you go with and what was the cost if you dont mind me asking?
    Quote Originally Posted by WVJon75 View Post
    Thanks biopace. I just went to my friend at the lbs and we crunched some numbers on building wheels. By the time the dust settled I had ordered the Stans flows through him.