mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Best 29er hardtail for under $1,000

Hey guys,

So I think I have finally decided to go with the 29er over the 26er, seeing as there seem to be only advantages with the type of rider I am.

I would consider myself a beginner, and I ride a mix of single track and pavement. I am 23 years old, 5'8", and weight around 150lbs. I'm looking at bikes around the MSRP of $1,000, and not much higher.

I've only test rode one 29er so far, and definitely liked the feel of it, so I wanted to ask you guys what other bikes I should check out. I know I definitely want something with a lockout front fork, and disk brakes, preferable hydraulic. I want something with good base components that I won't have to upgrade for sometime. But I also want an good base, or frame I guess, that will warrant upgrades later on down the line. Also, I really want to buy something I can find local, even if they have to order it. I don't really feel like dealing with an online dealer unless its a truly amazing deal. Also, I know used is the way to go, but I haven't found much locally.

Here are the bikes I'm currently considering (grated one is already over my price range, but what do you guys think of it anyways):

2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er $990

FRAME Specialized M4 fully manipulated alloy frame, fully butted, Trail 29" geometry, externally relieved HT, SS compatible forged adjustable slider dropouts, replaceable der. hanger, disc only
    FORK SR Suntour SF11-XCR-DS-29-LO-SP, 1-1/8" alloy steer, mag. lower, 30mm stanchions, hyd. damping w/ lock out and custom tuned spike valve
    HEADSET 1-1/8" threadless, loose ball
    STEM 3D forged alloy, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp
    HANDLEBARS Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 8 degree back sweep, 6 degree up
    GRIPS Specialized Enduro, dual compound Kraton, no flange, 131mm
    FRONT BRAKE Tektro Draco Hydraulic disc brake, dual piston, 160mm rotor
    REAR BRAKE Tektro Draco Hydraulic disc brake, dual piston, 160mm rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS Tektro Draco hydraulic
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Alivo, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, dual pull
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Alivio, 9sp direct mount Long cage
    SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Alivo SL, rapid fire trigger
    CASSETTE Shimano HG30, 9-speed, 11-34t
    CHAIN KMC X9 w/ reusable Missing Link
    CRANKSET Shimano FC-M430-8, Octalink spline
    CHAINRINGS 44S x 32S x 22S replaceable
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm
    PEDALS Alloy 1pc. body and cage, reflector kit, 9/16"
    RIMS Alex RHD 29", alloy double wall, pinned w/eyelets
    FRONT HUB Forged alloy, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flange, QR, 32h
    REAR HUB Forged alloy, mid flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flanges, cassette, QR, 36h
    SPOKES 2mm (14g) stainless
    FRONT TIRE The Captain Sport, 29x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    REAR TIRE The Captain Sport, 29x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    INNER TUBES Presta valve
    SADDLE Specialized Rockhopper XC, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers
    SEATPOST Alloy two bolt, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm
    SEAT BINDER Forged alloy QR, brass washer

2011 Jamis Exile 2 $1,100

SPECIFICATIONS
    Frame Kinesis 7005 double-butted aluminum main tubes, crown-clearing goose-necked down tube, low-standover curved top tube, replaceable derailleur hanger
    Fork Rock Shox Tora TK 29, coil spring with external preload & rebound, TurnKey lockout, 32mm stanchions, aluminum steerer, 100mm travel
    Headset FSA ZS-4D, internal cup threadless, 25mm shim stack, 1 1 /8”
    Wheels WTB Speed Disc 29” eyeletted rims, 32H, Shimano M475 6-bolt disc hubs, WTB 14g stainess steel spokes
    Tires Geax AKA, 29 x 2.2”
    Derailleurs Shimano Deore M592 Shadow rear, Alivio M431 34.9mm dual pull front
    Shiftlevers Shimano Alivio M430 Rapidfire Plus-SL, 9-speed
    Chain KMC Z99
    Cassette SRAM PG-950, 9-speed, 11-34
    Crankset Shimano M430 Octalink, 44/32/22, 170mm (15”), 175mm (17-21”)
    BB Set Shimano ES25, Octalink, 68 x 113mm
    Pedals Flats, alloy body/steel outer cage
    Brakeset Hayes Stroker Ryde Comp hydraulic disc brakes with 185mm front & 160mm rear rotors
    Handlebar
    Ritchey Comp OS flat bar, 31.8 x 10º x 660mm
    Stem Ritchey OS, 6º rise x 90mm (15”), 100mm (17”), 110mm (19”) & 120mm (21”)
    Grips Velo Kraton, medium diameter
    Seat Post Ritchey 2-bolt, 31.6 x 400mm, with alloy QR clamp
    Saddle Jamis XC with pressure relief channel, scuff-resistant corners, cromo rails
    Sizes 15”, 17”, 19”, 21”
    Color Copper
    Weight 31.25 lbs

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Out of the two, I will take the Specialized Rockhopper, just b/c resell values on Specialized are much better.

On the other hand, do some hunting and you will likely find a last year model Jamis/Giant/GT/Fuji/Any-non-major-brand bikes for sale with huge discount. Expect at least 30% off from MSRP. So, technically you can afford a bike around 1300 or so.

Head to your local performance bikes and you will find one of them for sure. At the very least you end up with a Performance Access 9.7 or similar. This will give you a bike that has deore and better components for a future frame upgrade.

Lastly, if you are willing to consider single speed (even though you are a beginner), you can prob. get a great single speed bike for 1K. Not to mention you will go up from beginner to intermediate level really quick. But may be thats not your thing though.

Other bikes you can try looking into can be found at Trek bikes or Cannondale. I dont know the prices, but is listed under their webpage. For beginners is usually best to get a major brand bike that you can sell easily down the road as you will likely get a new bike when your skills get better and you see other people riding bikes that you might like.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I thought the Scott scale 29er comp had decent components for the money (899) . Also the geometry of the Scott fit me better. Good Luck

Wino
    The Haro Flightline 29 Comp looks really good for $960 retail. And it DOESN'T have a Suntour fork. The only reason I bought a Talon 1 instead was because the area distro didn't have any and I didn't want to wait. Dumb reason I know, but I missed riding ANYTHING.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    you may want to check out Motobecane.

On wuss patrol
    Cool username.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    I am looking as well. I went from looking at cheap ($600 range) and saying to myself there is crap, and then there is a level above crap at $1,000.

Now I am looking at the Trek GF Cobia. I have a spreadsheet of components and brands and it will drive you nuts. Go to a LBS that carries multiple brands you are looking at and ask them what they think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I found myself a nice 09 Rockhopper Comp 29er used for $350. Look around for used if you can...if not I am a fan of my RH

Former Bike Wrench
    Might check out the Giant Talon 29er 1

And Raleigh Talus 29

Both use a SR Suntour fork with a QR15 axle, oil damping, and a lockout.

On wuss patrol
    The red bits on that Raleigh look right. Decent component kit. Price? $959 at REI. Slightly better than the Speshy RH Comp in component level with a better rd and fork at a lower price.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I looked at & rode the RH Comp, the Talon 1 and the Cannondale Trail 4. Their prices and parts are fairly close - give & take in different areas. The Talon felt more nimble and quick. The other 2 were fine bikes but felt longer overall. The mistake I made was riding Giant's XTC-2 as now I want one. 2010's are gone so I'm on the hunt for a used one - large.

mtbr member
    Another previously mentioned was the Trek/GF Cobia. It's another bike that has everything you want; Recon air fork with lockout and hydro brakes. It has different geometry than the other bikes namely head angle and fork offset. It retails for $1150 but according other buyers and my experience, it is very easy to get for a grand. Most buyers have also swapped out the big sweep bars. And its a deep orange not yellowish like the website depicts.

Best plan to follow: Ride as many as you can until you find the one that fits you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by beer_coffee_water; 04-29-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added a pic, not mine but I wanted to show the real color of the orange.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I bought Marin Bolinas Ridge, a month back. If you are starting new, like me, it gives a lot of bang for your buck and endless possibilities to upgrade. I have already started upgrading it and love the bike.

http://www.marinbikes.com/2011/bike_...serialnum=1898

mtbr member
    May 2008
    don't think anyone has posted it yet but how about the new GT Karakoram 1.0 msrp is 1,069, performance bike has sales allllll the time so see if you can scoop one up through them.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/bikes/moun...oram-1-0-green

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Wow, thanks for all the advice so far guys! I'm hopefully going out tonight to test ride a couple of bike, so I'll let everything know what I think!

Thanks again, and keep the great advice coming

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    wha wha! 29er... sweet. That RH, Giant Talon 29er, and the Trek Cobia look cool. Updates needed.

mtbr member
    I would say the best bike under $1000 is a Scott Scale carbon that you stole after blowing a grand on booze.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pippas butt
    I would say the best bike under $1000 is a Scott Scale carbon that you stole after blowing a grand on booze.

Sooo your saying you stole your bike?

mtbr member

Good job! Ritchey P-29er

You can get on of these frames for $999...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOOY_eARxFI

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by H20_BOY

Only the tig-welded, not-by-Tom-himself version will be available to the general public. The fillet brazed by Tom, not so much. I wonder what kind of portfolio one must have for Tom to build the frame?

mtbr member

Fillet Brazed Clone P-29er?

Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Only the tig-welded, not-by-Tom-himself version will be available to the general public. The fillet brazed by Tom, not so much. I wonder what kind of portfolio one must have for Tom to build the frame?
    I used to work a Butt Creek Brewery, Chico CA where we made Tom Ritchey Ale for him. I've been talking to the RD guys about getting a Ritchey tubing kite for P-29er and having a frame builder I know fillet braze it together. I can't call it a Ritchey frame because they didn't build it though. Also, the cost? I haven't made it that far in the discussion yet. If it ends up being expensive or not possible at all, I'll have to settle for a tig welded Taiwan frame I had a 89-90 TimberComp frame of his that I built up, it was a real nice bike, till it got stolen. Tom Ritchey is know for his fillet brazed frames, and re-entering the mountain bike market after 20 years with a tig welded Taiwan frame priced at $1099 may show us, all good things come to an end?

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by H20_BOY

Looks like a sweet frame, whether brazed or TIG'ed... Glad to see Ritchey getting back into frames

Santa Cruz Hightower LT
    EVIL Following

mtbr member
    2011 Access Prowler 3.0 29er SALE: $1,149.99
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000__400327
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Austin, Texas
    I am looking as well between $1000-1500. I love the look of the Exile 2, and would even prefer to find the 2010 version in toad green, but I'm a little skittish about Jamis' right now. Not many have said anything about the GT Karakoram 1. I'm very interested in it as well, love the look, and the components seem to be very good for the price. Rockshox Recon, Shimano Alivio/SRAM X7, Alex rims, Shimano hydraulics. I didn't like the Suntour Fork on the RH.

Phil
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse4444 View Post
    I am looking as well between $1000-1500. I love the look of the Exile 2, and would even prefer to find the 2010 version in toad green, but I'm a little skittish about Jamis' right now. Not many have said anything about the GT Karakoram 1. I'm very interested in it as well, love the look, and the components seem to be very good for the price. Rockshox Recon, Shimano Alivio/SRAM X7, Alex rims, Shimano hydraulics. I didn't like the Suntour Fork on the RH.
    What doubt do you have about the Exile 2? I have one and I love it. Smooth ride and my short legs love the geometry.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've had no complaints about my 2010 Fugi Tahoe Comp. The suggested MSRP is the 1k range but got mine at $700 because it is last years model. If you go to your local LBS and look at last years models they will be discounted.
    2010 Fuji 29er Comp
    2011 Dawes Deadeye SS

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Access ftw

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    FWIW, I am 24, 5'9", and 147 Lbs.

I just bought the Giant Talon 1 from a LBS on Monday, and have done 50 miles (on road) since. This is my first "real" bike, so I can't say if this is better than the other options posted. Just get something that fits from your LBS and enjoy the ride. Chances are you'll want another bike later anyway, so don't sweat it. I doubt any of these options will do you wrong. In the meantime I'm saving up for a single speed roadie...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hello everyone. First time poster and in the process of getting my first bike in about 7 years. Don't want to hijack the thread, but I had the exact same question as the OP and was wondering what some of you guys thought about the Cannondale Trail SL 2 29er?

My LBS has it for $920 before tax, which seems pretty good since it has an MSRP of $1069. Like the OP, I've been looking at the Rockhopper Comp 29er, Giant Talon 29er, and Trek Cobia. Sorry I can't post links or pictures yet.

Cannondale Trail SL 2 29er:
    Specs:
    FRAME Trail SL 29'er, Optimized 6061 alloy, SAVE, 1.5" headtube
    FORK RST Deuce 29 Air, 80 mm, lockout, rebound, 1.5"
    CRANK Shimano FC-M430-8 Octalink 44/32/22
    CHAIN Shimano HG53, 9 speed
    RIMS Maddux DC 3.0 29'er
    SPOKESS tainless Black
    TIRES Kenda Small Block 8, 29x2.1"
    PEDALS VP Platform w/ steel cage
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano ES-25 Octalink
    REAR COGS Shimano HG-61, 12-36
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Alivio
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Deore
    SHIFTERS Shimano Deore
    HANDLEBARS Cannondale C3 riser 20mm, 6061, 680mm
    STEM Cannondale C4 1.5", 31.8
    HEADSET Tange Custom 1.5"
    BRAKES Shimano BR-M445 Hydraulic Disc
    SEAT POST Cannondale C3, 31.6 x 400 mm
    WHEEL RIMS Maddux DC 3.0 29'er
    NIPPLES Black Brass
    REAR SHOCK n/a
    SADDLE Cannondale Stage 2
    GRIPS Cannondale Alloy locking grips

Some info on me:
    25 years old. 6' 285 lbs. 30in inseam.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I rode many of the bikes listed here are ended up buying the cannondale trail sl2 for about $950+tax. So far I'm very impressed with the quality, and I love the overall spec. The air fork and shimano brakes were hard to find at this price point. Also, cannondale had imho the best looking finish, especially the welds. It was also lighter than the cobia, talon and raleigh bikes that I rode.

mtbr member
    Any of the access models

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kwabbott View Post
    I rode many of the bikes listed here are ended up buying the cannondale trail sl2 for about $950+tax. So far I'm very impressed with the quality, and I love the overall spec. The air fork and shimano brakes were hard to find at this price point. Also, cannondale had imho the best looking finish, especially the welds. It was also lighter than the cobia, talon and raleigh bikes that I rode.
    Just pulled the trigger on the Cannondale Trail SL2 Red with a Medium frame. I test rode it today and it felt better than anything I remember riding as a young teen. Picking it up from work at 3PM tomorrow and taking it out for a couple of miles.

Short-Change-Hero
    Congrats. Post some pics up of it once you get it dirty and welcome to the new Kool-Aid crowd. Can't explain how much I love my 29er and always puts a smile on my face not matter the type of riding.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Another vote for the Trek Cobia from me. Solid parts package and fork, seriously nice for the price. You could get it for 1050 easy, just talk to the guys in your LBS. Marin 29ers are solid as well. Frames on the Marin's are nicer than those on the Trek's IMHO.

Kopkins

Oops. Sorry, didn't see you already got one. Enjoy it! 29ers are awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopkins View Post
    Another vote for the Trek Cobia from me. Solid parts package and fork, seriously nice for the price. You could get it for 1050 easy, just talk to the guys in your LBS. Marin 29ers are solid as well. Frames on the Marin's are nicer than those on the Trek's IMHO.

Kopkins

Oops. Sorry, didn't see you already got one. Enjoy it! 29ers are awesome.
    Thanks Kopkins and gregnash. The bike felt good, rode well enough for a newbie like me, and I fell in love with the red when I saw it on display.

Will definitely post pics up after running her for a bit. I'm thinking about hitting the trails right after I pick it up tomorrow afternoon. It's hard not to be excited right now.

mtbr member
    Cannondale Trail SL 29er 2.

http://www.cannondale.com/catalog/pr...2/category/86/

Edit, missed the post in which you said you already pulled the trigger. Its a great bike, have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The 29er from Sette looked like a good deal for what you get. http://www.settebikes.com/TwentyNinerBikes.html

banned
    Apr 2009
    No one can beat this deal for that price range---

2X10 drivetrain, RockShox Reba RL fork, Avid Elixr R hydraulic brakes and WTB rims laced to sealed bearing hubs.

http://www.dirtragmag.com/webrag/fir...irborne-goblin

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just picked up my Access Prowler 3.0 earlier this week. My first 29er, $800 plus tax after sale/clearance price and % off deal online. Took about two weeks to ship to my local Perf Bike shop. Very happy so far. Took it out for a good long ride today. Guy at Performance told me that it is a Fuji frame with their paint scheme on it, FWIW.

I rode the Fuji (did fit the same on me), Trek/Fisher, Specialized, and Giant. Never got around to riding the Raleigh. I was fine to get the spec upgrade with the Access Prowler vs. those "name" bikes. Very happy to get it all at that price. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Build a rigid singlespeed with some good wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No clue.

Since I am new kid...er...guy on the block, I just wanted to poke my head in and be a part of this and mention my Diamondback Overdrive- $499.97.

Maybe it's the best 2 bikes under a grand?
    17 Mission 1
    09 D'back Recoil
    09 D'back Recoil Comp
    11 D'back Overdrive 29'er

mtbr member
    At that price point I'd go with whatever frame fit better, between a GT or Raleigh @ REI.
    Spend the few bucks it costs to join their club. If you want to return it you can, (used, not abused). They also have a selection of bikes that are on-line but may not be in-store.

I've been saving my REI points to buy a bike for my wife. She's not picky, and will enjoy any of their mid-level bikes that fit well.
    Only if I got paid to hang out in my garage and tweak on my bikes...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I was looking at around the same price point and kind of planned on buying a Trek Cobia. Went to see how they would deal on it and the Trek X-Caliber caught my eye. So I had them work out the price as I was buying both kids new bikes as well. He came back at only $150 higher to go with the X-Cal, so I went with it.

He had the Cobia at $1050 and $1200 for the X-Cal.

mtb enthusiast

Bike Radar article

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I love my 2012 Cobia - climbs like a goat and rolls over everything that gets in it's way. Still tinkering with front sus adjusts to fine tune it.

It was 1049 so a little over the $1k, but throw in lifetime tuneups and I am a happy man.
    Last edited by somdfish; 10-24-2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: forgot price

mtbr member
    Jamis.

I wouldn't buy anything with a Suntour crap fork ever again. At least you get a rock shox on the Jamis and the WTB rims ain't to shabby..
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

Is dang happy!

$1350 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    No one can beat this deal for that price range---

2X10 drivetrain, RockShox Reba RL fork, Avid Elixr R hydraulic brakes and WTB rims laced to sealed bearing hubs.

First Impression: Airborne Goblin | Dirt Rag Magazine

Still a good value but "Goblin?"
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    I like my Mamba Truly under a Grand

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I wish I would have come on here before I bought my bike. I see there are a lot of bikes out there that I could have bought instead of my Talon 292. Overall I am happy with my bike but I break it on almost every ride. Thanks for all the advice guys, even if it is too late for me.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Hot View Post
    I wish I would have come on here before I bought my bike. ...I break it on almost every ride. Thanks for all the advice guys, even if it is too late for me.
    Dude, welcome to the club! Breaking about every other ride is part of mtbing, no matter what level of bike you buy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Im happy with my Kona Mahuna for $650. Good components for the price
    Last edited by eekabug; 12-19-2011 at 08:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've had a Rockhopper for two years and it's a great bike. Can't go wrong with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    being new and trying to buy a 29er on a little budget can drive you crazy which one to get.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm about three weeks into a squealing 2012 Trek Marlin 29er (purchased for under 600) and thinking of returning/selling it for something else with a better grade components. I can get my hands on a 12Y Trek Mamba for about $750 and a 12Y Cobia for $950. Also, I could probably use those prices to bargain down a selection for a bike from another manufacturer entirely.

A Talon 29er 0, a Felt Sport, a Cannondale 29er SL3 are a few that come to mind… all retail at roughly the same point as the Cobia and I could probably get them for 20% less.

So if you had your choice of any mtb in the 1200 range that you could buy for 950, one for which you could easily get service and support, which would you and why?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Soul View Post
    I'm about three weeks into a squealing 2012 Trek Marlin 29er (purchased for under 600) and thinking of returning/selling it for something else with a better grade components. I can get my hands on a 12Y Trek Mamba for about $750 and a 12Y Cobia for $950. Also, I could probably use those prices to bargain down a selection for a bike from another manufacturer entirely.

A Talon 29er 0, a Felt Sport, a Cannondale 29er SL3 are a few that come to mind… all retail at roughly the same point as the Cobia and I could probably get them for 20% less.

So if you had your choice of any mtb in the 1200 range that you could buy for 950, one for which you could easily get service and support, which would you and why?
    11 rockhopper Ltd, 12 year cobia, nope on the sl trails imo

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Members who have read this thread: 0