mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Best 29er for 100k endurance XC events

What is the best 29er for 100k endurance XC events? I am a big guy at 6'-4" and over 200 lbs. I am tempted by the Airborne Guardian (with a fork upgrade); but folks have mentioned that for that distance at my size steel would be a better choice.

I am coming from a cyclocross background and am not familiar with the ride qualities of the various geometry differences. Should I look at a Niner S.I.R. 9 with Reynolds 853 or something like a Salsa Fargo?

I am not planning on using racks or pack touring, so I assume the Salsa Fargo would be pretty noodle-like unloaded (even though I like the tall head-tube). I haven't read all 120 pages of the MTBR Fargo thread, but I don't see much discussion on XC MTB usage/ distance races.

... and I will also mention my budget is under $1200 complete.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

I am a big believe in short travel bikes for long races. I don't want my butt getting kicked by bumps at mile 75 mile of a race. I would not freak out about weight at your size and weight because you need stiffness and durability. I like these bikes for the money: Universal Cycles -- Salsa Spearfish 3 Complete Bike - 2013 However, I don't know zip about the Airborne brand or their bikes. You cannot get a decent FS bike for $1,200.00 for racing. You may be better off with a HT at that cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
    What is the best 29er for 100k endurance XC events? I am a big guy at 6'-4" and over 200 lbs. I am tempted by the Airborne Guardian (with a fork upgrade); but folks have mentioned that for that distance at my size steel would be a better choice.

I am coming from a cyclocross background and am not familiar with the ride qualities of the various geometry differences. Should I look at a Niner S.I.R. 9 with Reynolds 853 or something like a Salsa Fargo?

I am not planning on using racks or pack touring, so I assume the Salsa Fargo would be pretty noodle-like unloaded (even though I like the tall head-tube). I haven't read all 120 pages of the MTBR Fargo thread, but I don't see much discussion on XC MTB usage/ distance races.

... and I will also mention my budget is under $1200 complete.

two wheel whore
    Isn't the Goblin around that mark? For a little more, you can get the El Mariachi's lower build - steel frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks Jaybo - good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I am a big believe in short travel bikes for long races. I don't want my butt getting kicked by bumps at mile 75 mile of a race. I would not freak out about weight at your size and weight because you need stiffness and durability. I like these bikes for the money: Universal Cycles -- Salsa Spearfish 3 Complete Bike - 2013 However, I don't know zip about the Airborne brand or their bikes. You cannot get a decent FS bike for $1,200.00 for racing. You may be better off with a HT at that cost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have been looking at used Niner MCR and SIR frames; but haven't found any great deals (on an XL size) to get the project under my price range. I still have the Airborne Goblin (or the Guardian) in the back of my mind as a budget choice.

I think that a geared Reynolds 853 steel frame with a Niner (or Whiskey) rigid carbon fork would do well for the endurance events I am looking at especially Iron Cross in September: Iron Cross

Make any decisions? What races or types of long rides you plan on doing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Another option, On One Scandal - $269 shipped. Frames and Forks
    That On One Scandal 29er frame looks sweet!!! It looks like I can still select one of the black 21" frames in the older version with the rack mounts and 2 sets of water bottle mounts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best 29er for 100k endurance XC events-scandal-29er.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I went ahead and ordered the On One Scandal 29er frame. Michael at Planet X ( titusti.com ) was great with customer service and answering questions; I highly recommend these folks.