Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Old Punk
    Sep 2010

Best $500 29er wheelset?

Just about bought a mavic tn719/shimano xt 36 hole wheelset today, but, I figured I should ask about them first. I'm replacing the stock set on my '09 rockhopper (21") that gets the holy hell ridden out of it at times, but mostly xc. I'm 6'3" 210lbs and don't really want to step up to a dh/am rim, too heavy for what I ride.
    What other combos in this pricerange should I be looking at? Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Plenty of options in that price range, can't go wrong with the offerings from Stan's. Search around and compare weights/prices and check reviews, also check axle compatibility of front hubs.

mtbr member
    Stans Crest or Arch with Revolution spokes and ZTR hubs. If I remember correctly they are $450 and are very light for the price too.

mtbr member
    Stans Flow for your weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cabletwitch
    Stans Flow for your weight.
    +1
    Flows with ZTR hubs are under $500 and are plenty durable and are easy to setup tubeless (if you are so inclined).

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Orion Cycles is a great builder and cheap too. I'm not sure if he is still building but me and a friend both have a set and both are true. Very well build rims and a very low cost.

I got white Stan's Flows around Hope Pro II Hubs with DT Comp spokes and alloy nipples, Rim tape, valve stems and sealant for $500 shipped.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    FWIW .... I paid $500 shipped (new) for Mavic TN719 rims with DTSwiss 240 hubs. Aluminum nipples but black straight gauge spokes.

Have not weighed them yet.

davidcarson48
    +1 on Orion. He is still building...just got my Flows this week. Prices are great but build times are long as he is very busy.

I did Flows/Hopes/SuperComps/Alloy ProLocks, tape and valves for $540 shipped. Took about six weeks.

mtbr member
    Flows +100
    I went budget on mine and had the shop build with x7 hubs for $400 but wish I'd spent more for the ztr hubs. Bombproof for me so far and I got at least 10 lbs on you.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Salsa Semi 29er 36h hand laced in a 4-cross pattern with DT competition spokes to whatever hub you care to spend the money on. I chose XT hubs, but will likely replace the rear hub in the future with either a Saint or a Hadley.

I got mine hand built by Universal Cycles in Portland, OR, which is just downriver from me.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/wheelkit.php

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48
    +1 on Orion. He is still building...just got my Flows this week. Prices are great but build times are long as he is very busy.

I did Flows/Hopes/SuperComps/Alloy ProLocks, tape and valves for $540 shipped. Took about six weeks.
    Yeah it took about 4 weeks a year ago. He takes a while but his build quality is 10/10 and it'll be hard to beat his prices.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Hope Pro 2 hubs
    DT Swiss Comp spokes
    DT Swiss nipples
    Stan's Flow rims

Get this built up by a decent wheel builder, and you will have a tough wheelset for years.... I'm 225-230 lbs and have a set like this on my FS 29er and my HT SS 29er....

Awesome set-up!!!

Good luck!

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Wow, thanks for all the responses! Sounds like flows/ztr or hope combo is what I need. Regardless, I've got some research to do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i went from tn719/xt to hope/flows set up tubeless and difference was night and day hopes flows are out of commission right now and I got the Mavics fixed for cheap so am on those and am missing them greatly. tubeless set upo really worth it alone IMO.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Orion Cycles! Just ordered a set of Stan's Crest from them and they were at my door a week later. I wanted some custom options, black spokes and nipples and the lighter gage spokes, which came to $540 on NoTubes.com, Orion did them for $410!! Great Deal. Also, dropped 2 lbs from my bike.

mtbr member
    Azonic are now offering the Outlaw wheelset in 9er for $350. Great set for the money, I have a set on a 26er bike. They are a little heavier but not that bad really and can take serious abuse.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just picked up set of Sun Ringle Charger Pro's for 450 shipped. They have good reviews, and they tag them as XC/AM wheels, around 1800 grams, and comes with options for qr/15/20mm ta forks. They have straight pull spokes - which is good in some cases but not as easy to get.

I've heard good things about sr hubs too, these I think have 72 engagement points which is pretty good for this price range. If there as good as the dirty flea hubs then they'll be mint.

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by dickt3030
    Orion Cycles! Just ordered a set of Stan's Crest from them and they were at my door a week later. I wanted some custom options, black spokes and nipples and the lighter gage spokes, which came to $540 on NoTubes.com, Orion did them for $410!! Great Deal. Also, dropped 2 lbs from my bike.
    Which hubs did you get?
    Last edited by davidcarson48; 03-09-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I have a set of Flows/DT Swiss Comp Spokes/DT Swiss Brass Nips/Shimano M629 hubs coming from him soon (hoping they will be here tomorrow) for my 29er... So stoked to get them and finish my bike!

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48
    Which hubs to you get?
    ZTR hubs. Nothing special but have heard good things.

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by dickt3030
    ZTR hubs. Nothing special but have heard good things.
    That's an awesome price. I didn't know Orion Cycles could build with ZTR hubs. Maybe I'll have to grab a set for the SS...

mtbr member
    I have WTB hubs (20mm front hub) with Stans ZTR 29er hoops and DT Swiss 14/15 spokes. I have about 150 miles on them and they have been solid. Good buy for under $500 and weighs about 1800 grams for the wheel set.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Orion Cycles! Just ordered a set of Stan's Crest from them and they were at my door a week later. I wanted some custom options, black spokes and nipples and the lighter gage spokes, which came to $540 on NoTubes.com, Orion did them for $410!! Great Deal.
    Great to here such good things about Orion Cycles. Just ordered a set of Flows w/ Red Hope 2 hubs black spokes and red nipples. Paid $560 inc. shipping. A Fantastic deal I can't wait to get them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mailman953
    Great to here such good things about Orion Cycles. Just ordered a set of Flows w/ Red Hope 2 hubs black spokes and red nipples. Paid $560 inc. shipping. A Fantastic deal I can't wait to get them.
    at www.orioncycles.com? not much of a website. you have to contact them directly? where are they located?

Short-Change-Hero
    He is on the site here and I am working with him on the site. He is located in central California.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast