mtbr member

Beginner - Just picked up a Revel 1

Hello all,

Haven't rode in over ten years, and when I did, it was flat land and dirt track BMX stuff so this is all very new to me.

I went today to my local bike shop and picked up a 2013 Giant Revel 1. I got a good deal on it too i think...$605 got me the bike, truck mount, helmet, gloves and camelpack.

I went on an hour test drive where I rode multiple bikes of the same price range, both 29 and 26. First off, I immediately preferred 29, even though it was my first time on one and I kept going back to the Revel.

I know this forum really does not like the Suntour forks, and they seem a little shallow, even to me at 80mm.

Since I'm already having it converted to tubeless next week, I think I'll make my first upgrade a new fork.

I've found these and they seem good for the price: BlueSkyCycling.com - Rock Shox Recon Silver TK 29er Solo Air Fork
    But my question is, what other things should I be mindful of and to keep in mind while I'm riding? New cassettes of high quality seem to be cheap, but I need some direction...I'm new to the gear bike thing

Anyone have any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Delete please

mtbr member
    DELETE PLEASE

(sorry for spam...getting past the 10 post limit...)

mtbr member
    Delete please

lets ride
    Definitely upgrade the fork, what other components are on it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmatt480 View Post
    Definitely upgrade the fork, what other components are on it?
    From what I can tell, everything else is ok.

Here are the specs:

Revel 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I started out on a 26" Revel and its a great starter bike, but upgrade that fork A.S.A.P. I went with the Manitou Minute pro and it is awesome! Sweet ride, now go ger her dirty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Personally instead of trying to upgrade a bunch of parts already I'd just save the money, beat the crap out of the bike, and then upgrade in a year or two to a bike a few steps above when you're ready. That's what I did. I had an old Haro Flightline 29er with a Dart fork and a fairly decent drivetrain. Wasn't all that great though. I beat the crap out of that bike for a year as it was my first real mountain bike, got hooked, and then bought another nicer bike at the end of the year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayseakay View Post
    Personally instead of trying to upgrade a bunch of parts already I'd just save the money, beat the crap out of the bike, and then upgrade in a year or two to a bike a few steps above when you're ready. That's what I did. I had an old Haro Flightline 29er with a Dart fork and a fairly decent drivetrain. Wasn't all that great though. I beat the crap out of that bike for a year as it was my first real mountain bike, got hooked, and then bought another nicer bike at the end of the year.
    Well, I see upgrading the bike as a perfect opportunity to learn the ins and out of bike maintenance.

I've already discussed it with my fiancee and if I'm still wanting too, I'll upgrade after the wedding.

Paying for it out of pocket, so I'm lucky I was able to get thisas it is, haha.

RideDirt
    Save your money , dont upgrade.. Learn how to ride first , get better , out ride your bike and trails , then buy a new bike . You could have the best components on there, but since your a new rider it wouldnt benefit you . Wrench on what you have, read up a lot , watch lots of videos , understand what your parts are on your bike and what they do.

Once you get hooked lol youll want a new bike soon . I went thru 3 bikes within like a 5 month time span . It all started out on a $500 beginner hardtail to AM to a downhill bike and now to my own built #4 bike .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Save your money , dont upgrade.. Learn how to ride first , get better , out ride your bike and trails , then buy a new bike . You could have the best components on there, but since your a new rider it wouldnt benefit you . Wrench on what you have, read up a lot , watch lots of videos , understand what your parts are on your bike and what they do.

Once you get hooked lol youll want a new bike soon . I went thru 3 bikes within like a 5 month time span . It all started out on a $500 beginner hardtail to AM to a downhill bike and now to my own built #4 bike .
    I may do that as well... Upgrading as I break and eventually move up to a better bike.

I already noticed some of the higher end Giant and Specialized hard tails.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post

Exactly this