mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Smile a beginner getting enthusiastic to buy a mountain bike.

ok fellas, long story short. i'm trying to get knowledge of entering level mountain baking. and i have a coupe of questions. i live on Reynosa Mexico border with Hidalgo Texas.

1.- which is better GIANT REVEL 29ER 0-V2 2014 (is for sale here on mexico for 862 dollars? or a MARIN BOBCAT TRAIL 2013? (is for sale on amazon for 696 dollars but 15 inch frame)

2.- i'm 5'7'' a saw alot of charts on frame zise and they recommend 16'' or 17''. how important is a inch of difference? should live the marin bobcat? if is not my frame size?

thanks for the time

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    First, frame size is not like a shirt or suit size, there is a lot of variation among manufacturers and even within manufacturers. It would be best if you could try frames to find a good fit. That said, it certainly sounds like a 15" frame is a possibility.

The Bobcat is a well-regarded beginner bike around here.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get the 15 and a longer seatpost if needed. Smaller frame will be easier to ride through for technical stuffs. Will behave more like a bmx

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    If you have an open mind, maybe look at the Trek xCaliber 8. I got mine for about $1000 I started 6 months ago, I love this bike! Hope I maybe helped

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencerespencer View Post
    If you have an open mind, maybe look at the Trek xCaliber 8. I got mine for about $1000 I started 6 months ago, I love this bike! Hope I maybe helped
    actually i just notice before watching your post. that the 8 caliber trek, is a discount from 1045 to 846 dollars. i'm just calling like stalker to the bike stores if they respect the discount, and they told me to call tomorrow. because they couldn't find their boss. lol. hope they have the discount. because that will be my very first choice. if not, i think i will go for the marin bobcat. it has respectable components for a 2013 bike

mtbr member
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 15" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay I just bought my Marin from this seller a week ago. Awesome bike much nicer than my girlfriends Airborne Guardian. a beginner getting enthusiastic to buy a mountain bike.-mini-imgp4977.jpga beginner getting enthusiastic to buy a mountain bike.-mini-imgp4980.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm 5'6" with a 29"inseam and you can see where the seat is on a 15" frame.

Crash Dummy In Training
    I will say if you can get the Trek it has the best Warranty of all the bikes mentioned.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PauLCa916 View Post
    I will say if you can get the Trek it has the best Warranty of all the bikes mentioned.

good news, i just bought the x caliber 8. let's how it rides. the only thing is that i don't know on what shift i am. lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Im happy you got it

Quote Originally Posted by caparzzo View Post
    good news, i just bought the x caliber 8. let's how it rides. the only thing is that i don't know on what shift i am. lol.
    Welcome to the Trek Family