SuperInstigator

Been a while...Converting my old Rumble to a 29er.

Hello everyone!

It has been a long time since I've been on this forum. I've still been riding my Mountain Cycle and I've decided it's time for a more XC-oriented 29er. I'm not really into the freeride genre that my bike was originally set up for.

After doing some research to see how much money I could get if I were to sell my Rumble in favor of a new 29er, I found the extended dropouts that Mountain Cycle made for the Rumble frame. Thanks, eBay! I decided that I liked the frame enough to convert it and invest in some 29er parts. As of now, the rough plan is:

-Rumble frame w/extended dropouts-perhaps going to get the frame powdercoated?
    -Reba 29 RLT or Manitou Tower Pro
    -Velocity Blunt 35 Rims/DT Competition Spokes/Shimano SLX centerlock hubs
    -Keeping my Sram 9-speed drivetrain/replacing my FSA Pounder crankset with a Shimano double.
    -More functional seatpost and saddle
    -Longer stem

If anyone is interested in the 26er stuff I will be getting rid of some gear.

Good to see you guys are still here...
    Take it easy.

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Good decision. I recently decided to resurrect my old Rumble. Rough paint, so a can of paint remover plus scotchbrite pads, elbow grease, and Mother's alu polish got me a spiffy new polished look. I was doing this on the cheap so went with an Exotic carbon 29er fork with a new front wheel for a 69er Rumble. After a few weeks of riding, the geometry really suits this set up, although with corrected dropouts I'm sure full 29er would be great. Picked up a scratch and dent set of Sinz cranks from danscomp to go 1x9 and an On One Fleegle Pro and I've got a really nice, fairly light, super nimble steed again. Good luck with your build!

SuperInstigator
    That's great to hear of a similar success story! I might go the raw aluminum route (thanks for the idea), or else I will leave it brown. I'm not going to spend the money to have it powdercoated.

Also, I decided to go 650b... Why? Because. Just because it seems to be a nice compromise for the agility/strength I desire for rough all mountain riding and big wheeled prowess...gotta stock up on tubes though.

SuperInstigator
    Anyone looking at this for updates, head over to the 650b forum...I've decided against 29er in favor of the agility of the 27.5s. Mostly, however, I don't want to lift the bottom bracket much higher than it is.

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/mou...og-859622.html