mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Bar selection help

This isn't a 29er-specific question, but I peek in on this forum more than any of the others and know that several of you have a pretty broad knowledge of all kinds of mountain biking products - not just frames, forks, and wheels.

I've got a Retrotec Double with a suspension fork. I'm 39, 6'0". I use a 44-45 cm road bar (c-c) with my 'cross bikes. I ride cross-country trails and race off-road triathlon in the summer to help build fitness for cyclo-cross. I'm not a technically gifted rider, but really enjoy singletrack riding and dirt/gravel road riding. I don't have any orthopedic problems. I'm interviewing for a new handlebar. I've been using a Wound Up flat bar for several years, and I've been pretty happy with it. I'm looking at moving to a Nitto B206 Nordeast or a Moots flat bar with a 5 degree sweep. The reason I'm trading in the Wound Up is simply because I'm going through one of my retro-grouch phases where I am ditching my carbon bicycle components in favor of steel or titanium.

The Nitto Nordeast would obviously be a dramatic shift away from a flat bar; however, the reports I've read of the Ragley Carnegie bar (which is similar, but not exact) have been very good. Riders sound like they are comfortable with it and feel like they've got good control with it. I can't find one review or one photo of a bike with the B206 bar. I like NItto, and I'd love to try an alt-bar. I'm a little worried it is not broad enough.

The Moots is much more similar to the Wound Up bar I'm used to. It's pretty. It's well-built. The people who manufacture it are good folks. It's a much more "reasonable" choice. If I choose this, which width should I use?

I'd love to get the opinions from folks on the forum.

Thanks.

Dan

Nitto bar: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=37213

Moots bar: http://moots.myshopify.com/collectio...ti-handle-bars

Wound Up bar: http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Mercha...de=WOUNDUPBARS

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Look up Carver double S bar, or Ti cycles double S.....I got a carver for my ti 29er and love it!

MTB B'dos
    Can't tell you on the actual bars, I just stick to plain ol Easton EA50, 685mm, 11 degree sweep bars, however I will say that the Nitto and your old Wound bar would be great for your kids if you have any Seriously, a 20" wide bar could not be made for an adult to use As I stated, to me the narrowest I would go is 635mm/25", but I prefer a 685mm/27" wide bar, gives loads of control, opens up the chest to breath better, yet isn't so wide as to cause issues in tight areas.

If its of any help 6'2.25", very long arms, used to run 580mm/23" wide bars when I first started to "deal" with the narrow over-grown trails, but moved to 685mm bars over 3 years ago and have not had the issues I thought I would have.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics