Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Banshee Paradox 29er . . .

Hey everyone I had a quick question and was looking for some peoples opinions on the Banshee Paradox frame. After seeing all the sweet build ups on here and doing a little research it seems like an awesome idea for me to put one together myself, however I live in FL and it seems that most of these builds are being done in the more northern (rocky and ruff terrain) states. I am aware that it is an AM frame but I have also seen it listed as an XC. I don't want to over due it but the frame looks like an extremely comfortable ride a little more laid back than some of the serious xc bikes I see all over the place down here and super durable. I'm not a racer so I don't need a cutting edge super light bike. I ride mainly at Santos, Alafia and Carter Road. I would appreciate any info I can get of people who are somewhat familiar with these riding spots, they're not what you would expect to find in FL. I like to ride aggressively, I like the dh trails that FL has to offer and I also like the steep challenging climbs . . . any info would be much appreciated !!! Thank you
    Last edited by dirtrider410; 03-07-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: mis named the frame

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    no idea what terrain is like down in FL. I ride in the mid-atlantic. Can't possibly say enough good things about this bike. Its simply the most well-balanced (from a geometry and weight bias standpoint) hardtail I've ever ridden. I wouldn't really say its a race bike, though I will race it a handful of times. I think its strengths lie in its ability to handle technical ups and downs both at super low rock crawl speed and wide open speed. you can pump it through turns, you can pop it off lips just as easy as any 26in bike- its just fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ^^^what he said^^^

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanx guys for the comments I pulled the trigger earlier today should have the frame in a little over a week

Speedbump
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider410
    Hey everyone I had a quick question and was looking for some peoples opinions on the Banshee Paradox frame. After seeing all the sweet build ups on here and doing a little research it seems like an awesome idea for me to put one together myself, however I live in FL and it seems that most of these builds are being done in the more northern (rocky and ruff terrain) states. I am aware that it is an AM frame but I have also seen it listed as an XC. I don't want to over due it but the frame looks like an extremely comfortable ride a little more laid back than some of the serious xc bikes I see all over the place down here and super durable. I'm not a racer so I don't need a cutting edge super light bike. I ride mainly at Santos, Alafia and Carter Road. I would appreciate any info I can get of people who are somewhat familiar with these riding spots, they're not what you would expect to find in FL. I like to ride aggressively, I like the dh trails that FL has to offer and I also like the steep challenging climbs . . . any info would be much appreciated !!! Thank you
    Alafia was my regular ride every weekend. Got me Sultan with that trail system in mind. Paradox will be perfect there. I have seen several other SS 29er riders there, including a Niner or two and at least one Redline.

When I build up my 29er SS, I will have to bring it down there for a ride.
    Crunchy. Even in mud.

29 some of the time...
    I know the Paradox has busted onto the 29er scene as an "extreme" AM rig, but coming from a history of 26er AM hardtails it is right on the mark. I think I am aligned with your preference for a trail friendly bike, not an overbuilt beast. The Paradox won't disappoint. I think the biggest thing it has done to 29ers is to show that they can indeed handle aggressively. But IMO it handles very well despite the numbers on paper. I have not ridden another 29er that would manual, be light in the front end, and yet still climb well. For a 1st effort Banshee really knocked it out the park

Post up once you have it built
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    For a 1st effort Banshee really knocked it out the park

Post up once you have it built
    They sure the ---- did...............CF.

mtbr member
    Do any Paradox owners find the BB height a bit low with all that travel?

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack
    Do any Paradox owners find the BB height a bit low with all that travel?
    No, I am not getting nearly as many pedal strikes as I do on my Heckler (a 13.5in bb ht). If you are in the saddle the bike has a fairly rearward weight distro, so the fork doesn't sag much. Maybe if you were out of the saddle doing a 1x9 it could be an issue, but I haven't found that to be an issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I come from a racing background (light bikes with steep angles). I no longer race as it's too expensive and all day rides with your crew is where it's at for me. After getting my Paradox, my perspective on bike geometry (on paper that is) has completely changed. The Paradox does it all and plain ole' rips. I love it for the New England trails I ride. I have no idea what FL trails have to offer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    man I can't wait to get this thing going I have heard so many good things about this frame, there are some spots here in FL that would really suprise somebody for up north IE santos or alafia or carter road. I know it suprised me, can't wait to get this built and get off my 26er

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback AL29er, I get plenty of pedal strikes on my IH 7p3 and that's just north of 14" static, so hopefully I would have similar results. Probably get less pedal strikes with my GT Peace but of course rigid with about 12+" BB height. Might just drop the hammer on this one, been looking at the Dillinger also, and lately Siren Trauco.

No, I am not getting nearly as many pedal strikes as I do on my Heckler (a 13.5in bb ht). If you are in the saddle the bike has a fairly rearward weight distro, so the fork doesn't sag much. Maybe if you were out of the saddle doing a 1x9 it could be an issue, but I haven't found that to be an issue.

Powered by ice cream.
    I think the biggest thing it has done to 29ers is to show that they can indeed handle aggressively. But IMO it handles very well despite the numbers on paper. I have not ridden another 29er that would manual, be light in the front end, and yet still climb well. For a 1st effort Banshee really knocked it out the park
    Just curious here: How many other 29" hardtails have you ridden?

I just ask because the Karate Monkeys I have ridden have been great handling rigs, and I don't find the numbers on the Paradox to be far off the Monkey with the wheel all the way forward (assuming a 120mm fork).

They have been out for more than five years.

My point being that sweet handling 29" rigs have been out for a while, Banshee did not invent anything here. They just listened to what riders wanted and put the time in to get it right on their first try. Not to say the Paradox is not sweet, I think it is.

It is easy to crank out 29" frames with 17.3" chainstays...not so much when you get to the 16.9" range.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

29 some of the time...
    Fair points there Eman
    This is only the second 29er HT that I have owned. I have thrown a leg over or done demo rides on half a dozen others. Obviously limited experience there. I have owned about 20 different variations of 26er hardtails though in everything from Ti XC race frames and single speeds to AM hardtails like the Surly Instigator, SC Chameleon, and Specialized Enduro HT.

I have ridden a KM with 100mm fork on it and have owned 2 1X1 rigs (1 rigid, 1 w/ 100mm MX pro fork). Surly makes a fine trail bike, but the only one that handles well with a long fork IME is the Instigator. Yes, the KM with a longer fork can be ridden. But personally even with the 100mm fork it felt like driving a bus.

I am not saying you can't bolt a 120mm RS Reba onto other 29er frames. You can. But they won't handle like a frame that was designed around it. Least that is my experience. The BB gets too high. The front steering gets sloppy. Overall it is more of a bear to ride. But some people will suffer through it and maybe even come to appreciate the handling. To each their own.

There was a good thread not too long ago on a SC Dillinger vs. a Niner EMD with respect to running a 100-110mm fork. My vote was for the Dillinger as it is designed with 100mm in mind, but can run more if desired. Where the Niner was designed around 80mm, but can run more if desired. For tight and twisty single track trails I tend to find that keeping a bike at close to the designed geometry yields the best handling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider410
    thanx guys for the comments I pulled the trigger earlier today should have the frame in a little over a week
    wow
    glad to hear it man. post pics of it when you receive it ya.
    i'm new to bike riding. but imma learn every bits from mtbr.com!! Montana Rider
    Go GO GOO!!!!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    The reason thar there is a reaction like this is a simple reason. Surly is more known in the freak aspect of the cycling world. The place where singlespeeder and such exist.

Banshee is a company that is from the other end of the spectrum. A company that builds bike that are built to be ridden hard and literally beat the shite out of.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

29 some of the time...
    Enduramil, not sure exactly where you are coming in on. But, yes, I agree that Surly has carved out a good niche for itself. That niche is mostly trail bikes, single speeds, and purpose built rigs. The instigator is IMO the only rig in the lineup that walks the line to AM duty. Of course it weighs as much as a FS frame