Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Is it that bad? Nishiki kinzua.. yeah I said Nishiki

http://www.*****sportinggoods.com/pr...18012.12458051

I saw that someone posted about the special edition of the kinzua and most of the responses were fairly positive about the value of the bike... Well I noticed that ***** has last years model for only 399. I understand most people are not fans of big box stores but I am on a budget and this seems like a great value... the guy at ***** told me the components are similar to a specialized hardrock (which is what I was originally considering) ...is he wrong? is it a POS? I would appreciate some direction.. I apologize for the newb question and I may be coming across as an idiot but I thought I should ask and get some perspective rather than purchasing it and regretting it.

I would appreciate your opinion as long as it has some reasoning/logic.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks like Dick's has it for 399.
    http://www.*****sportinggoods.com/pr...lePLA:12677171
    The fork is most important for trail riding. The Suntour fork on this and the Hardrock are ok for bike paths and easy trails. Theyweren't designed for multiple bumps at speed.
    Nick at Suntour can send you a Raidon air fork upgrade which will work on trails for 175. The thread is in Beginners-- with reviews. You need a receipt from your bike purchase.
    A RockShox Recon Gold air fork is 1.5lbs lighter for 240 from Random Bike Parts.
    So for 575 or so you will be set up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Looks like Dick's has it for 399.
    The fork is most important for trail riding. The Suntour fork on this and the Hardrock are ok for bike paths and easy trails. Theyweren't designed for multiple bumps at speed.
    Nick at Suntour can send you a Raidon air fork upgrade which will work on trails for 175. The thread is in Beginners-- with reviews. You need a receipt from your bike purchase.
    A RockShox Recon Gold air fork is 1.5lbs lighter for 240 from Random Bike Parts.
    So for 575 or so you will be set up.
    So theres no reason to spend an extra 180 on the hardrock? Would I just be paying for brand name at that point?Would my money be better spent upgrading the fork on the nishiki?

Anyone else have input? It would be great to hear different perspectives.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    There might be a reason to spend the extra, is that Nishiki really a steel frame? If so it might be a lot heavier than the Hardrock, at least a Hardrock Sport.

What size bike are you looking for?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mavtek View Post
    There might be a reason to spend the extra, is that Nishiki really a steel frame? If so it might be a lot heavier than the Hardrock, at least a Hardrock Sport.

What size bike are you looking for?
    I would say an 18... I am 6"1 with long legs... DSG recommended the 18 and the LBS said a large frame.

Are you trying to sell a good used bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No, sorry no good deal on a used bike. Just when I look for a deal I like to know people's size in case I see one and it's there size.

Like if you can swing your budget to $999 this is a great deal!
    2011 Fuji Tahoe 29er 1.0 Hardtail Mountain Bike - Mountain Bikes - Complete Bikes - Shop by Item - Bikewagon

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    anyone else have an opinion on this bike and its components?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by josephblue View Post
    anyone else have an opinion on this bike and its components?
    Sure, the components aren't bad for the price. A bike is more than its components, though. Have you ridden the bike, or the Hardrock to which you're comparing it? That would be a big factor for me. Also, are you planning on keeping the bike stock? I don't think I would do much upgrading on the Nishiki frame...but I would consider it on a Hardrock (or another comparable name brand frame). "Paying for name brand" may mean not as much component value for your money, but in most cases means better frame technology. Another factor - have you talked to your Specialized LBS about the price on a Hardrock? They don't go for full MSRP...and come with a lifetime frame warranty. There are other solid bikes from other manufacturers in that same ~$400-500 price range too you could find at a LBS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by caldwa View Post
    Sure, the components aren't bad for the price. A bike is more than its components, though. Have you ridden the bike, or the Hardrock to which you're comparing it? That would be a big factor for me. Also, are you planning on keeping the bike stock? I don't think I would do much upgrading on the Nishiki frame...but I would consider it on a Hardrock (or another comparable name brand frame). "Paying for name brand" may mean not as much component value for your money, but in most cases means better frame technology. Another factor - have you talked to your Specialized LBS about the price on a Hardrock? They don't go for full MSRP...and come with a lifetime frame warranty. There are other solid bikes from other manufacturers in that same ~$400-500 price range too you could find at a LBS.
    Which bikes in the $400-500 dollar range are you referring to? That's my price range.. I'm all ears

mtbr member
    May 2009
    First, @ 6'1" I THINK you would be more comfortable on a larger frame than 18". Second, Performance (if you have one nearby) frequently has year old GT's or other brands that are good deals. Third, the COSTCO bike (see other thread) seems to have better equipment for the same price range. Fourth, depending where you live your LBS may have some good deals on last years bikes. Fifth, if you have a friend who is knowledgeable about bikes, you may be able to score a used one at a great deal. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fos'l View Post
    First, @ 6'1" I THINK you would be more comfortable on a larger frame than 18". Second, Performance (if you have one nearby) frequently has year old GT's or other brands that are good deals. Third, the COSTCO bike (see other thread) seems to have better equipment for the same price range. Fourth, depending where you live your LBS may have some good deals on last years bikes. Fifth, if you have a friend who is knowledgeable about bikes, you may be able to score a used one at a great deal. Good luck.
    1. I agree
    2. I do not have a performance near by
    3. I saw the costco bike and they wont be getting any in for another month (I live Memphis) and I cant wait that long!
    4. I have not seen any that have deals on any 12's... most of my LBS's dont have any left
    5. I moved here from STL so I dont have any friends here that can help me out with this

6. Thanks for the reply! I feel like I really need help on this one...

I want to purchase the hardrock but I keep going back to a diamondback/nishiki from DSG because I can get it for over $100 less witht the three year warranty... so who gives a sh** if it breaks...they will fix it or give me a new one... and hopefully three years from now I will NEED a good bike and have the funds to purchase one...

I seriously change my mind every hour about it. I have been checking craigslist everyday for a good deal on a bike.. have not seen one yet (thats still available)

I want to ride this weekend!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Which bikes in the $400-500 dollar range are you referring to? That's my price range.. I'm all ears
    Specialized Hardrock, Kona Splice, Trek Wahoo, just a name a few. Might be a little more than 500 though. If you're an REI member you could still use your 20% coupon to get a Novara Torero for ~$520. If you're planning on selling it in the next few years, a name brand is going to have better value if you go to sell it too. But you've got to like the ride.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Just post a working link. Who cares what anyone says.

1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The REI is a good choice if one is nearby, especially with their "forever" warranty. A bit dicier, but a good value is Bikes Direct Motobecane Fantom (The $499 model - no tax or shipping) with 27 speeds. That would be my choice with $500 to spend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If I only had $500 to spend on a 29er I'd probably look at borrowing another $250 so I could get a Razzo right now with $250 off.
    Sette Razzo X7 10 Speed 29er Alloy Mountain Bike | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    Or, if you're dead set against that (that's too bad because it's a great deal), ride the Diamondback Overdrive at D1ck's, if you like it wait till Sunday because Nashbar generally does 20% off on Sunday's so it will be around $400 plus shipping which is under you're $500 budget.
    Diamondback Overdrive Expert 29er Mountain Bike - Our Best Bikes Up to 70 Percent Off
    Granted the Nashbar is last years model, but the only real difference I can see is low end shimano parts vs low end Sram parts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mavtek View Post
    If I only had $500 to spend on a 29er I'd probably look at borrowing another $250 so I could get a Razzo right now with $250 off.
    Sette Razzo X7 10 Speed 29er Alloy Mountain Bike | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    Or, if you're dead set against that (that's too bad because it's a great deal), ride the Diamondback Overdrive at D1ck's, if you like it wait till Sunday because Nashbar generally does 20% off on Sunday's so it will be around $400 plus shipping which is under you're $500 budget.
    Diamondback Overdrive Expert 29er Mountain Bike - Our Best Bikes Up to 70 Percent Off
    Granted the Nashbar is last years model, but the only real difference I can see is low end shimano parts vs low end Sram parts.
    That first one is 999.... the second one I might be able to swing but how much does it normally cost for a bike shop to assemble?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The REI is a good choice if one is nearby, especially with their "forever" warranty. A bit dicier, but a good value is Bikes Direct Motobecane Fantom (The $499 model - no tax or shipping) with 27 speeds. That would be my choice with $500 to spend.
    no unfortunately theres not one around here

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That first one is 999.... the second one I might be able to swing but how much does it normally cost for a bike shop to assemble?
    The 1st one is actually $750 because there's a $250 off coupon right now, as far as assembly, there's not much to it on a Nashbar bike. Take it out of the box, unpack, bolt on the handlebars, slide on the front wheel, you're pretty much ready to ride. If the shifting needs adjustment, most bike shops will charge less than $50 for that.

Oh and don't expect the Diamondback to be well built from D1cks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thinking about picking this up. He said he would take 450.. better deal than the hardrock and nishiki? Are the components better on the nine flow vs the hardrock?

2012 felt nine flow
    Last edited by josephblue; 04-06-2013 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Probably too late, but if it's the 24 speed model, I would pass (couldn't locate that particular bike on the Felt site). Normally, I dislike BD and their policies, but for $500, I THINK they have the best bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    BD? Are you talking about the nishiki then?

The nishiki looks better than the felt from looking at the components... Thoughts?

BikePedia - 2012...Bicycles Felt Nine Flow Complete Bicycle

mtbr member
    May 2009
    bikesdirect.com Motobecane Fantom ($499 - no tax or shipping); 27 speeds, decent components; kinesis aluminum frame

BD? Are you talking about the nishiki then?

The nishiki looks better than the felt from looking at the components... Thoughts?

BikePedia - 2012...Bicycles Felt Nine Flow Complete Bicycle

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    bikesdirect.com Motobecane Fantom ($499 - no tax or shipping); 27 speeds, decent components; kinesis aluminum frame
    This is definitely something to consider... what particularly do you not like about bikesdirect?

neeeds donation$ for bike
    i have had multi bikes from bd. cant say i can complain about any of there policies either. I think you should give them a shot; thats if you want the best bang for you buck.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Terrible (TO ME) return policy, but if you're bike is OK you won't have that problem. Also look at Nashbar tomorrow since on some Sundays they have 20% off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast