mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Back in the Game, New bike time. 2019 Specialized SJ FSR COMP 29

Been a long time since i hit MTB hard; was in the road game for a long time and actually ditched MTB all together. In 2013, bought a 29er SJ Hardtail and been riding that occassionally for 5 years, mostly spend time on my Look 595. Well, the time has come. I am tired of texting teenagers and close calls on the road (have a 4-month old, now too; changed my perspective) and decided to focus on MTB again.

Picked her up on Rock and Road's 4th of July "We pay your tax" event. Went to Jenson USA and tested the Giant Anthem, Santa Cruz Tall Boy, Niner Rip, a Scott and Kona Hei Hei Trail. Found out I loved the FSR 29er and the 27.5 felt too small for me (6'2", 235lbs). Went to Rock n' Road and road the epic and SJ 27.5 and 29 in both their left-over 2017/18 they had on clearance and the 2019. The 2017 Stumpy was bob-tastic and Rockshocks Revolution Failed to impress. The 2019 Redesigned stumpy sold me the second i sat on it. The Fox 34 front and rear shock felt awesome, SLX running gear was crisp and brakes had good modulation and the stifness of the frame and lack of pedal bob in the open setting forced me to hand over the card. NEVER paid retail for anything but couldn't wait to get it home.

Now, it's 112 and i'm staring at it waiting to go rip it tomorrow morning!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back in the Game, New bike time. 2019 Specialized SJ FSR COMP 29-img_1679.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Love that color

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah, the black and red was a bit boring and this reminded me of the Yeti 575 i used to drool over before i could afford decent bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Revolution is better than a Rythmn..... lol nice bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    Revolution is better than a Rythmn..... lol nice bike!
    Interesting comment... The Reolution i tested was on a 2017 so the frame wasn't as stiff, pedal bob was significant and stanctions were 32mm so it wasn't a fair comparison but i looked far and wide for bad reviews on the Rhythm and all i got is no Kashima coating & the upper was heavier.

I set mine up according to specialized's specs and it performed VERY well. I had to let rebound out a bit as it packed up in the chop but was very planted once i made the adjustment. Guess we'll see as i get more miles on it but I work with Fox so i can get a killer deal on a Float 36 Factory 150mm/DPX2 if i decide i need an upgrade down the road.

I plan to upgrade the wheels and derailleur later so i'll add it to the list haha.