mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Avid Elixir 1 brakes - Is this normal?

Hi guys. I picked up my new Cannondale Trail SL2 29er yestrday. First ride this morning. God, it is lovely!

Until now I have been riding a Bad Boy Fatty 4 with Shimano hydro discs. The Avids are a bit different. I need to pull the lever much further towards the bar before they actuate, I don't need to pull any harder than the shimanos for the same stopping power, but it just feels like there is a load of travel in the lever. The shop said that's just the way Avids are.

In fact, if you pump the lever fast, it seems to need less travel. The rear seems more travelly than the front. The shimanos just felt like I think they should, with I guess only half the distance pulled to the bar to get contact. The Avids will just about allow me to get a finger between the lever and the bar when they contact.

Anyone out there know whether this is just the way it is, and I should get used to it, or do they need some work?

Cheers

Chris

No Stranger to danger....
    Chris i had the exact same problem with some elixir 1s on my reign, you just need to adjust them using the little screw under the lever, you will have them working in no time, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    If pumping the lever fast increased resistance there is air in the system.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

squish, squish in da fish
    the factory bleed is often crap. my LBS fought me tooth and nail about this until i paid them $35 to bleed, then they saw in fact it was a bad bleed. ive had those brakes in for warranty due to air somehow getting into the system 4 times! i just got warr replacements and avid sent me the XO's. so that right there tells me avid knows they have a major prob (many others got the XO's too). GL to ya. yeah you can adjust the throw but thats just a temp solution until one day you bury the adjustment and have very little brake to stop you on a descent.

also something to think about when you eventually get warr replacements would be to sell them and go back to shimanos. mineral oil is better in many ways unless youre a insane DH'er that will make min oil boil

mtbr member

Re: Avid Elixir 1 brakes - Is this normal?

Yup, need to bleed again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Re: Avid Elixir 1 brakes - Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    If pumping the lever fast increased resistance there is air in the system.
    +1.

You should bleed the rear brake. Of course, first try with screw but if that will not work then brake bleed is the only solution.

Sent from my GT-I9100

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Cheers guys. Sounds like its back to the shop.

I'm really disappointed with them, as I explicitly asked them if that was normal before I took the bike away, and they said yes.

I won't name the shop here, yet, but it's not the first time they've not dealt well with brakes on my bikes. Surely the most important area to get right?

Chris

turtles make me hot
    I bought a set of Elixir 1's for my son's bike after having a great long term experience with Juicy 7's. When I first installed them, they felt like they needed a bleed. I got a bunch of air out. A few days later, they needed another bleed. I bled them again.
    One night, I was moving the bike and squeezed the brakes and the rear lever went right to the bar. I bled them and bled them and finally got a good firm feel on both brakes.
    They've felt solid for a couple of months now. It took more effort than other Avid brakes I've done but so far, so good now.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Although new here, not new to bikes.
    Things I don't like about my Elixirs and Juicys.
    Hard to bleed
    Squeel like a dying cow.
    With the large rotors on my bike they get hot and fade

mtbr member
    There is a run of Elixir 1 brakes that has an undersized o-ring in the levers. That's why people are getting the Elixir 1's replaced with XO's. If you look in the brake forum (where this thread should actually be) there's a thread there that covers pretty much everything about it, including the date range of the suspect brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If this is a new bike from a LBS, have the tech ride it, then bleed them for you. Your warranty should cover it for you. Reputable dealer should sell you a bike in 100% working order. I rode a new Dragon at my LBS this afternoon with Elixir 1s on it, felt very good to me.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    There is a run of Elixir 1 brakes that has an undersized o-ring in the levers.
    That sound about right after my experience with the Elixir1s. Same issue bleed, re-bleed, bleed again. My LBS was very attentive to the issue but they finally got SRAM to warranty one of them with an Elixir 5. Not that I really cared but I was kind of thinking great now I have mismatched brakes. Functional I guess but didn't exactly look right.

FWIW the Elixir 1s worked great at first but the rear kept going soft. Totally lost its use a couple of times while on a long ride. Losing one of you brakes 10 miles in on a 20 mile ride isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

I got a deal on some Shimano SLX 666s with the Ice pads and haven't looked back. Night and day difference. Took much more effort to brake with the Avids. The Shimanos easily brake with one finger, plus they work and are quite.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    got SRAM to warranty one of them with an Elixir 5. Not that I really cared but I was kind of thinking great now I have mismatched brakes. Functional I guess but didn't exactly look right.
    That would have bothered me too. But when I took my bike in for one brake having this problem, they sent me a matched set of XO silvers. Clearly the consistency of SRAM's policies leave something to be desired, but at least they're replacing these brakes.